DiskStation Reviews

Do you work for this company?

Harold Wu profile photo
We needed a low-cost NAS solution, and low maintenance, due to a lack of staffing within the IT department.
  • Easy to setup.
  • Synology App Store grows with time and have access to a lot of 3rd party app options.
  • Ability to scale easily and economically.
  • Provide more options for expansion other than eSATA connectors.
  • Easier access to RAM and SSD upgrades on the lower end models, without having to pull the unit almost completely apart.
  • Management UI is slow to load on the lower end models, especially with multiple network connections.
Synology is great to get working quickly. You don't need in-depth knowledge of NAS and SAN to deploy. For a small business without a dedicated IT team, a set-up wizard will get everybody up and running in no time. The cloud station needs more work.
Read Harold Wu's full review
We use this as NAS to store off-site backups in a data centre. All we need for this purpose is straightforward network storage and it carries out this function perfectly with very little maintenance needed.The built-in functionality which comes as standard give some useful features and, in the past, I have used a variety of these tools from Surveillance Station to the built-in web server.
  • Out-of-the-box RAID configuration.
  • Loads of built-in applications.
  • Security - lots of features that can be enabled including MFA.
  • It would be nice to see a slightly better hardware spec for RAM and processor. Using the web interface can be slow sometimes.
  • We occasional get issues with iSCSI connections after firmware update. Not a huge issue as we know to check but would be nice if resolved.
We use this as an offsite (second datacentre) storage for backups. We have Veeam Backup and Replication running in DC1 which then does a copy job over to DC2 and onto the Synology NAS. It works great connected via iSCSI to a repository server connected to Veeam.
What doesn't DiskStation do? As a comprehensive network-attached-storage operating system, DiskStation offers a plethora of features from File Sharing Services to client OS backup integration (such as Apple's TimeMachine) to Surveillance Software, to Download software. It will even run Docker containers if your hardware appliance will support native virtualization. As a server, it really is a swiss-army knife of functionality. Over time, I've only grown more and more of what it offers.
  • Filesharing - This is an easy one. As it's loaded on a network-attached storage device, DiskStation provides robust file share support, supporting SMB/CIFS, NTFS, and more.
  • Additional package management - DiskStation offers a plethora of add-on packages (most free!) that enable you to customize your DiskStation experience to your liking. I personally like Surveillance Station, Download Station, and git add-ons.
  • Easy to understand administration - DiskStation's administrative console offers easy to understand options that make setting up, configuring, and managing multiple users trivial.
  • While Synology has remained committed to keeping my older NAS device up to date with DiskStation updates, they are starting to make it feel slower than when I first got it. I'm not complaining, almost no one supports 5-year-old devices with current software, but Synology does.
  • As easy as the Administrative console is to use, the Surveillance Station plugin is equally difficult to configure. Surveillance requires more knowledge than I care to invest in for configuring my security cameras to be captured by that package. While I ultimately got it running right, it took multiple Google searches and countless hours of tinkering to make it happen.
  • Diskstation alerts need to be more robust. I find after a time, they just stop working. If I reboot DiskStation or reconfigure it, I start getting alerts again, but sometimes it's not until I've identified a problem that I notice the absence of working alerts.
DiskStation really fills a niche when you're looking to fulfill a need for a small, easily managed server that a typical developer can use and configure without much training. If you need enterprise-class features such as replication or deduplication, you should look elsewhere. However, if you just need a NAS appliance that can act also expose some other nice-to-have functionality, DiskStation is the way to go.
The Synology DiskStation is used by our small business as our primary storage device. Since we use Office 365 for email and do not require any other server-based software, we use the Synology as our "server" to store and access all client and company files. Everyone in our company has access to the device and we have found its usage to be a huge benefit to our company.
  • Stores company files in an easy-to-access NAS configuration.
  • Highly reliable and stable.
  • Easy-to-access web interface for employees on the go and working remotely.
  • The sophistication of the alert system is somewhat lacking.
  • While the web interface is easy to use, it lacks the sophistication that some would expect.
  • Reporting features are hard to find and set up.
Synology DiskStation is perfect for companies that are looking for an affordable and reliable, no-frills NAS for their network storage. It can also be used as a backup device. We currently have two Synology Diskstations with one serving as the primary NAS and the other as a redundant backup device.

About DiskStation

DiskStation is a line of network-attached storage (NAS) solutions from Synology headquartered in Taiwan.

DiskStation Technical Details