Reviews (1-13 of 13)
October 29, 2019
I have set it up to report on all positions in our company and run a monthly report to see how we’re aligned with our desired median rate.
- The ability to align with your particular geographic area.
- Ability to modify skills in the job description.
- Very user-friendly. You don’t need a manual in order to use it!
- It’s time consuming to initially set-up. But once you’re there, reports run very quickly.
Read Debbie SouthMitchell's full review
Some employees are convinced they are not being fairly compensated. Once we had all positions defined correctly, we could see in some instances this was correct, but in others, we were within the median we wanted to be. We also found some that are way over. In some cases that’s ok but in others not. We have concrete data to work with and more transparency with PayScale Insight Lab.
July 13, 2018
PayScale Insight is used to track pay trends across the entire company. We also use it to view, on a high level, trends in compensation. We also use it to help set pay when we take on new employees. Each year, we run a bulk report, and then discuss who should have a pay adjustment in addition to whatever merit raise they may have earned.
Read this authenticated review
PayScale is great when you want to sync what the current pay rate is to what the market is indicating the trend of compensation is. It isn't the best for keeping all employee detail in the system. (It doesn't really help to add performance data in as that's also kept in our performance system, and multiple sections for scores can't be compared).
We use PayScale Insight to help keep an active pulse on the cost of labor for our various markets. We use the tool across the US and UK. It not only helps us remain competitive to market but it also helps us ensure alignment to our comp guidelines.
- I can benchmark a role for a particular labor market, and review the details to best understand how the years of experience are relative to compensation.
- It would be great if there were helpful tips on the dashboard to ensure I'm utilizing the tool to its fullest capability.
- A simplified way should be developed to create job leveling for roles. The process seems more manual than it should.
Read this authenticated review
For live data as to what the market is paying, Payscale is great!
HR uses PayScale Insight to benchmark our jobs against market data. We use it to evaluate our salary ranges to ensure they are aligned with market data; this is a review process we do every 2-3 years. We also use Insight to house employee data to evaluate internal equity, salary range penetration, etc. This system has allowed us to ensure we remain as competitive as possible in order to attract and retain good talent.
- Payscale has a significant number of job profiles for which you are able to gather market data on. We have roughly 120 jobs at our company and we were able to match all but two, which are very niche to our industry and company.
- Insight offers amazing analytical capabilities. We have employees in other states, so Payscale helped us to create labor markets for each area in which we employ someone so to be able to ensure we are paying them accurately to where they live relative to the DC-market. This contributes to ensuring equitably and fairness with our pay practices.
- Insight does a great job at allowing you to ensure accurate matches. In addition to an array of titles, you can also customize your match with years of experience, education levels, supervisory duties, certifications, specialized skills, and a few other details as applicable, all that contribute to the finalized mid-point match calculated. You can also choose different industries, company sizes, and locations to match against your data.
- You are able to create total comp statements, which was a new offering for our employees.
- I think there is always room to add more titles and niche industry data to their offerings. It would be cool to see an offering that allowed you to submit a request to have a particular title/job to their data listings and Payscale can see who else might be requesting the same kind of niche position.
- It would also be helpful if there was a way to store past salary data for employees.
Read Stephanie Opoku, SHRM-CP, CIR's full review
If you have a large employee base and you are trying to remain competitive from a compensation perspective, this tool is well suited to help you accomplish this goal. If you are not a comp expert, they have experts on hand that can help you through projects or just answer basic questions.
March 09, 2018
We're using PayScale company wide to benchmark, grade, and review market comparators in similar roles across the organization. We have PayScale and Mercer data cuts and we've had very good success finding matches for the majority of our roles to date. The ability to bring the grading process in-house has been a great cost saving opportunity for us as we work towards compensation calibration and pay for performance. We're able to build our compensation strategy on a solid foundation that was not possible before due to the cost of outsourcing the market comparison function.
- Their customer service is fantastic. I absolutely adore my Relationship Success Manager, I still have a great relationship with the Account Executive that brought us on board.
- The tool has some hiccups but overall, of the three tools I demo'ed, it is the most user friendly. PayScale is transparent about the issues they are experiencing and what is on the horizon for improvements of the tool. We all expect some things to go a little wrong or not be the as user friendly as WE THINK it should be, and I appreciate that PayScale acknowledges that and is transparent about what's in the works for improvements along the way.
- I like the ability to customize pay structures, create favorites, and create new jobs on the fly. I've really enjoyed working in the tool and I'm excited to get our data cleaned up so that we can use all PayScale reporting and dashboards have to offer.
- The data export is a little wonky and I tend to have regular issues with it. I report them each time and I get honest, timely answers. I am able to snip straight from the tool, but I think it would be more efficient for me and external users of the information if I were able to consistently export through the tool a great output.
- I wish we could set up a regular file feed and wouldn't have to do manual uploads.
Read Kelli Hathman's full review
I think for a very large organization (I came from +18k benefit eligible employees) it would be very difficult to keep this tool organized because of the manual uploads. It seems to work very well for us, at less than 500, and there are a lot of perks to having the flexibility to change the uploads as we see fit.
February 26, 2018
We used Payscale Insight to help us price and benchmark our jobs. Our goal in using the software and tools was to ensure that we were paying and/or offering current and potential employees a fair market rate. While we focused our use within the HR department in generating reports and benchmarking, we used the data across the organization where needed. This allowed us to ensure internal equity while keeping competitive with what is going on in the market. We were also able to address any transparency concerns with our employees by revealing how we used data to drive our compensation practices.
- Providing data so that you can ensure you are paying your employees fair and competitively with the market. You are able to make data-driven, confident decisions about compensation that enhance retention and trust between employee and employer.
- Payscale's customer service team is wonderful and always available. Moreover, they are often open to providing more customized solutions if your need is a bit different than the standard package.
- Research into multiple labour markets/locations is a useful tool as we often have to account for differences across our office locations, which can sometimes cross borders and large geographical areas. This ensures that we don't take a blanket approach to compensation and can account for regional differences where required.
- Job titles can prove to be a challenge as they sometimes do not connect as well as you'd hope. This may require some extra work on our part to fit our needs into what Payscale provides. Generally, this is a small concern, but it is still something that should be updated to keep with some of the changes in titles/roles.
- It would be great if Payscale offered an online tool/area for watching recorded webinars or training sessions rather than having to do it live. As others have mentioned, with a busy schedule, it is sometimes challenging to find the time to watch live. Having a database would help ensure that the training can be accessed at any time.
- Options to perhaps break down some of the data in reports to provide to others who are less versed in the contents of the report and the overall system. I'd prefer to have to explain less of what is presented and let the data speak for itself where possible.
Read Matt LeMaire, B.A., M.A.'s full review
If you're looking to price or benchmark the roles in your organization, Payscale Insight is a great tool to have on your side. You are able to ensure that you use updated market data and can be confident that you are making an informed compensation decision. However, in situations where the individual or individuals using Payscale Insight have to consistently translate the compensation data to those not well-versed in compensation practices, it can prove challenging. If you already have a well-managed and effective compensation strategy in place, Payscale Insight might not be the best investment overall. With that said, it's important to be proactive, so it might prove useful to consider how to future-proof your compensation practices/data with the use of Payscale.
July 20, 2017
We use PayScale within the human resources department to provide compensation data to our organization's decision makers and to support ongoing pay strategies. It's also useful for comparing positions to find the right description that meets the role and expected pay range. It allows us to address pay issues on an organization-wide and individual basis.
- PayScale provides us with up-to-date data to help make compensation decisions for our organization.
- PayScale's team is not only knowledgeable in their product, they also have insight into best practices and strategies.
- Integration with our HRIS would be ideal.
- Providing more focused resources to provide to senior leaders who make most of the final calls.
Read Jason Magill's full review
PayScale is particularly suited for mid-sized organizations which don't have the typical resources of an enterprise solution. The setup for jobs and structures provide several areas for customization, such as niche licensing, that may affect compensation. It's also helpful with better defining existing positions that have further developed over time. For example, we just transitioned a job class to a new assistant manager class partially based on the descriptions provided by PayScale.
July 17, 2017
We are a rural company and had many issues finding real time data to make compensation decisions. PayScale solved that problem for us. By providing them our job descriptions, we can get accurate - real time data within minutes. It has definitely made us more confident in our compensation decisions, whether it be a new hire or an existing employee.
- Provides up to 3 different market data points
- Customer service is amazing - feel as though they are part of your company
- Real time accurate data
- I am uber satisfied with the system and when I am having technical issues, I simply call or email. They are always quick to respond.
Read Criston Menz's full review
PayScale makes a difference for quick decision making and validating conversations with employees or future employees that want to see how we arrive at our compensation structure.
July 11, 2017
Currently we use Insight to price new positions and for annual increases for our employees. Insight is only used by the HR department, however Crew is used companywide during our annual increase cycle. One of the best benefits of using PayScale is the ease of access to salary data. It eliminates the need to research multiple wage surveys when either pricing a position or when verifying that your current salaries are competitive.
- The data is always up to date. This is extremely helpful when trying to price a hot job.
- Customer service is diligent. Some jobs are niche jobs which can be hard to find a price. The customer service team has always been extremely helpful in these situations and easily help me find the right match.
- The ability to search across multiple labor markets is great. We have 4 locations in the USA and there are times when I need to research whether or not to place a certain position in different regions. Having the ability to research in Ad Hoc to determine what makes sense for our business is very helpful.
- Pre-recorded webinars on product updates would be great. I know they offer webinars, but many times they do not work into my schedule so I miss them. If they had a section on the site for training on product updates or new features that I could view on my own time I think would help me utilize the tool even better.
- The ability to add-in or take away elements in the EE comp report. Some things are just not relevant to a company. I know a new release recently came out on the EE comp report and I am not a fluent with it as I once was (this is where the pre-recorded webinar or a learning byte would be helpful), but previously there were 3 versions of the EE comp report you could use. If I could add-in or drop-out sections to customize it to my company it would be nice.
Read Julie Mathis, PHR, SHRM-CP's full review
Because we have 4 locations, PayScale was a perfect fit for us. I was able to set up labor markets for those locations which helped me make sure that our wages were competitive with each market. Initially I signed up with PayScale to complete a wage analysis of my current workforce. Since then the relationship has evolved to using Crew for our annual increase cycle.
June 30, 2017
We use it across the organization. We use it to ensure we have valid salary ranges/bands, pay competitive market rates, set pay for new hires and more.
- On demand access to very detailed and custom salary reports
- Easily see where we are paying under or over market
- Access to compensation experts
- Access to compensation management training
Read Asher Primrose's full review
I think it works for all sizes of organizations and the price for the services pays for itself in not overpaying for just one new employee.
My clients use PayScale Insight to either act as a compensation analyst or to supplement that role.
Read Liz D'Aloia's full review
Perfect for competitive pay determination and analysis.
February 17, 2017
Currently, my team utilizes PayScale for configuring salaries for new hires and also to figure out increases and promotion salaries for our team. This has been very helpful since it takes into consideration the persons expertise, years of experience, education, management experience, and certifications. In addition, PayScale also pulls info for our industry and size of company. This makes the information and recommendations fair and balanced.
- PayScale is easy to use and walks you through the criteria that you need to input on the candidate.
- This tool also allows you to save reports and information for future use.
- The data that PayScale has access to is so incredibly helpful, it really helps to ensure that you are paying your staff correctly.
- Sometimes it can be difficult to find a niche job title. Often you have to find another title that is closely related in order to pull data.
- It would be nice to be able to view resources for bonus info per industry and variable pay, right now this is not something that is easily searchable.
- Access to online training is only provided through live interaction with a rep. I sometimes like being able to read through materials or have an online sandbox.
Read Ariel Lopez's full review
PayScale is great for figuring out the correct compensation for new employees and taking into account their experience and everything they bring to the table. It is also great for creating salary increase forecasting for your entire team. Having access to trends and what other companies in our market are offering so that we can stay competitive is incredibly helpful.
February 12, 2018
Score 8 out of 10
We used PayScale to get market salary data to help benchmark industry and area salary information. This helped us see where our pay structure fit.
- PayScale has been great for our organization for benchmarking market salaries and wages for our positions.
- The service was great as well, in that we were able to send our job descriptions over to have our jobs matched with the market.
- The market reports have been extremely helpful and are easy to understand, and being able to see a breakdown between total cash, base salary, and bonus has been great.
- We didn't get a match for all of our positions without having to modify things a bit. That's reality, though, as we have some unique jobs that we understood might be difficult to benchmark going into it.
- The service is a-la-carte, so our subscription didn't provide us with unlimited salary data.
Read this authenticated review
PayScale is a good fit when you have in mind exactly how many jobs you want to benchmark and get data for. If you have several jobs and you're looking for salary information on all of them, the price will increase exponentially.
PayScale Insight Lab Scorecard Summary
About PayScale Insight Lab
The vendor states PayScale Insight Lab presents the following advantages:
- THE RIGHT LEVEL OF DATA. Validated, built-in datasets let the user know what similar companies are paying for jobs, and unique skill based data to keep an eye on market trends for fast moving jobs.
- BUILD A MODERN COMPENSATION STRATEGY AND STRUCTURE. Leverage smart software to develop a comp strategy that is best suited to any particular organization. A sound compensation strategy allows businesses to pay fairly and competitively while remaining focused on the bottom line.
- COMMUNICATE COMPENSATION WITH CONFIDENCE. PREVENT COSTLY TURNOVER. Conversations about pay can sometimes matter more than the pay itself. Easily communicate compensation to employees. Ensure employees understand what they are paid and why.
- ENSURE PRICING IS ACCURATE FOR EVERY JOB. Reduce over-underpayment issues as you grow. Blend multiple data sources, including industry standard surveys with Insight Lab's built-in Company & Crowdsourced data, in a simple and visually friendly interface.
Categories: Compensation Management
PayScale Insight Lab Integrations
PayScale Insight Lab Competitors
PayScale Insight Lab Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
PayScale Insight Lab Technical Details