Overall Satisfaction with SAP Crystal
We build Crystal Reports that are used in a third party software to extract data via the GUI from our SQL database. The reports themselves are being managed by one department (me) but are accessed by the whole business. We use Crystal Reports to generate client forms.
- Easy formatting, drag and drop.
- Relatively similar GUI to Word, very developed GUI.
- Well-documented, easy to Google.
- Not intuitive - steep learning curve.
- Need to be able to have a sub-report within a sub-report. This is a major missing piece.
- Need to be able to copy sub-reports and paste.
I have to use Crystal Reports with our third party software, and it does make the pretty formatting easy, but it's actually less intuitive than the software with less of a GUI.
SAP Crystal Feature Ratings
Using SAP Crystal
1 - We use Crystal Reports to create client-facing reports of our data - individualized action item reports etc.
1 - Basic knowledge of the software functions/formatting and how to connect to data
Evaluating SAP Crystal and Competitors
- Product Features
- Prior Experience with the Product
- Existing Relationship with the Vendor
It is what is used by our database software, built by another vendor. We had no choice.
SAP Crystal Implementation
I wish there were walk-through tutorials - none of Crystal Reports is intuitive
Change management was a small part of the implementation and was well-handled
SAP Crystal Support
I don't even know where to look for SAP support - the most helpful resources are StackOverflow articles written by users, the SAP documentation is hard to find and even harder to use.
Problems left unsolved
Not kept informed
Difficult to get immediate help
Need to explain problems multiple times
Support doesn't seem to care
Slow Initial Response
Using SAP Crystal
Like to use
Difficult to use
Not well integrated
Slow to learn
Lots to learn
- The Formatting box that is set out just like Word is great, very intuitive.
- Formula editor is very easily set up with examples and operators easily found.
- Page settings give more options than I could ever even desire, so many wonderful choices!
- Basically you have to Google how to do anything, even just how to connect to a data source, the wizard is crap.
- Sub-reports need to be highly used, and therefore should be more accessible (copy paste, format within the report).
- Changing from portrait to landscape is sooooo tedious and painful, you need to manually extend every field and every field within every sub-report and vice versa, it would be easier doing it physically on paper - it's that bad.