The Most Robust AvailableMy organization is currently going thru an expansion process, from being solely a consulting company to creating and developing products itself and for this expansion, a new team was assembled, the Research & Development team and I'm part of this team. As part of our research to create products that are really relevant to the market we are aiming at, and since we're already are a gold level IBM partner organization, it made sense for us to acquire knowledge with IBM DSx in order to maximize our efficiency and develop better products.,Feature rich. IBM DSx provides a plethora of tools to leverage the use of data science in your organization and suit your specific needs. IBM DSx supports a huge variety of sources of data. From your traditional SQL database to every major data warehouse, IBM DSx does a great job at connecting to or pulling from your data source. Its greatest strength is the fact that is a cloud-based service. There's no need to waste time on configuring and maintaining an environment to start analyzing data, which may not be an easy task.,Pricing. The price for this product is quite steep and, since it features so many solutions, it makes sense to cost as much as it does. But the creation of personal plans with fewer features might prove interesting to bring the product to a broader audience, like enthusiasts that are starting to get in touch with data science. Some issues regarding notebooks and the use of data refinery are quite annoying to the experience because, depending on the use that you make of it, they might appear quite regularly. Lack of a changelog. Like many IBM products and platforms, DSx is in constant development and is updated regularly. This is a great point, except for the fact that sometimes it lacks a changelog to properly inform what has been changed, requiring the user to investigate on its own.,8,Since we've used IBM DSx mainly while investigating tools to be able to create better products, we've yet to fully use its features and in a real-world scenario. For this particular reason, we haven't been able to determine a proper ROI for this particular product.,Yes, I was able to save a lot of time regarding connecting to my data sources and refining, mainly on the connections camp. The fact that the data refinery required the data to be presented in a certain way mostly is what kept me from achieving a great time saving on this aspect of the product. Still, the huge catalog, ease of use and pre-configured environment made a huge impact on speeding up the analysis process.,Points like the ease of use, a great number of tutorials available and the number of features are what attracted us to IBM DSx. Since my organization is already an IBM gold partner, it made sense to use a product from a catalog that we already were extremely familiar with rather than training ourselves and spend a great amount of time into implementing other tools.,IBM Watson Analytics, IBM Cloud PaaS (formerly IBM Bluemix - PaaS), IBM MaximoWatson vs. DATAWatson Studio is used within Manifest Life Inc to help gather, process, and visualize various amounts of data. We use Watson Studio throughout our data management lifecycle and view it as the best all-in-one data management offering within the market. Watson Studio has helped our organization manage our data operations more fluidly through the offerings ease of use and minimal learning barrier. This product from IBM works like a charm and is flexible in small and/or large business environments. Data sets of all size can be easily cleaned, processed and leveraged in order to help meet our business objectives and create new opportunities.,Cloud-based file sharing helped our organization stay up to date when managing assets, new or old. Watson studio does a fantastic job visualizing outcome data which enabled our organization to easily create a narrative based on what we were able to see. Particularly within our organization, Watson Studio strength was noticed in its ability to processes enormous amounts of data in such a short amount of time.,Watson Studio could used improvement in its user-based community. I'd like to see more local and remote events showcasing its potential. Watson Studio could improve by providing its users, use-cases that leverage data in unusual ways. We think Watson studio could also improve by decreasing its price in order to capture new talent in the data industry.,10,Watson Studio has allowed our organization leverage open data to create new streams of revenue that previously could not be tapped into. Watson Studio has allowed us to conduct business without the need of additional third party vendors. Watson Studio has allowed us to see a ROI where previously there was none.,Time savings is one of Watson Studio's greatest perks. Time is money. Our organization was able to collect, clean, and analyze data through one platform, ultimately saving the organization time by reducing the amount of time spent navigating singular third party offerings.,We chose Watson Studio because of its robustness, community, and the quality of documentation supporting its offering.,RStudio, Scala, Apache Spark and TensorFlow,Watson Studio (formerly IBM Data Science Experience), Watson Knowledge Catalog, IBM Cloud PaaS (formerly IBM Bluemix - PaaS), IBM Cloud IaaS (formerly IBM Bluemix - IaaS),Data cleansing Data visualizing Data sharing,Understanding ML feature Using algorithms Features including spark,10I used to swear by IBM DSXI used to teach with Watson Studio, but not anymore. It is inconsistent in many ways it breaks and when I ask for help, no one seems to be bothered. When I do get a response, it doesn't solve my problems. IBM needs to get it's act together or risk losing out.,Good UI Easy of use Incorporates both Python and R,Could be more holistic Have a look at Microsoft Studio, it's well integrated Not very well thought out,1,No coding data science for my students Good alternative platform to MS studio ML Good beginner's first contact with data science,I don't use these as my datasets are already on hand.,Hong Kong University was teaching non-technical students data science. We've looked at a couple of platforms and found that DSX had a couple of Jupyter NBs to start and it was a minimal effort on the part of Lecturers to produce a lesson plan. However, the erratic nature of Apache Spark in R was a big letdown.,,AWS Lambda, Microsoft Azure, Tableau DesktopIBM Data Science Experience (DSx) for big data analysisWe use IBM data science experience in order to create and train predictive analytics model: we implement some use cases about this topic, using different models. We've focused on model referring to vehicle registration using historical models and predictive variables like oil trend. Also, we use Jupyter Notebooks to analyze Twitter data and create data visualizations.,You can use SPSS model in order to predict trend with historical data You can use R in order to clean up your data a Jupyter notebook You can use Jupyter Notebooks to analyze Twitter data and create data visualizations,We try to install DSX in the local environment but it needs more resources I'd like a better visualization library for charts I'd like more webinar in order to introduce to the platform, also in Italian language,8,I work with this product only for experimental works, I can't answer to this question. I hope that this product has the ability to proactively and repeatedly reduce costs and increase productivity. I suppose that this platform could improve decision making and customer service,I achieved these time savings using a non-local installation because I haven't spent time in installation and configuration. Using excel import file features and the import from code implemented with SPSS I am saving a lot of time. Besides, data preparation services and as scheduling tasks are available in order to save hours,,IBM DSx has a lot of advantages that allow you to start a new project with low cost, without installation, and time savings, you could start immediately both with a new project then import your old project implemented with SPSS or R. The community is very responsive for advice and help in troubleshooting.,Hortonworks Data Platform, Cloudera Data Science Workbench and RapidMiner Studio,Automation Anywhere, Hortonworks Data Platform, Oracle WebCenter PortalBeginner developer for DSxIt was being used to analyze big data. It was being used in our department for development purposes, and testing its limits and capabilities. The software was still in development when I was working on it, and my job was to create intro level content displaying the different types of services the platform offered.,Exploratory data analysis Concurrent project and data management Built-in libraries and frameworks for different programming languages,The data limit was low, but it depends on how much you pay,9,Fast analysis Easy to access Data management,Yes.,I chose DSx because I was working for a company which was developing DSx and they needed content to showcase its abilities.,RStudio,ArcGIS
Watson Studio (formerly IBM Data Science Experience)

IBM Watson Studio Reviews

IBM Watson Studio
Filter 91 vetted IBM Watson Studio reviews and ratings
April 06, 2018

IBM Watson Studio Review: "The Most Robust Available"

• Feature rich. IBM DSx provides a plethora of tools to leverage the use of data science in your organization and suit your specific needs.
  • IBM DSx supports a huge variety of sources of data. From your traditional SQL database to every major data warehouse, IBM DSx does a great job at connecting to or pulling from your data source.
  • Its greatest strength is the fact that is a cloud-based service. There's no need to waste time on configuring and maintaining an environment to start analyzing data, which may not be an easy task.
  • Pricing. The price for this product is quite steep and, since it features so many solutions, it makes sense to cost as much as it does. But the creation of personal plans with fewer features might prove interesting to bring the product to a broader audience, like enthusiasts that are starting to get in touch with data science.
  • Some issues regarding notebooks and the use of data refinery are quite annoying to the experience because, depending on the use that you make of it, they might appear quite regularly.
  • Lack of a changelog. Like many IBM products and platforms, DSx is in constant development and is updated regularly. This is a great point, except for the fact that sometimes it lacks a changelog to properly inform what has been changed, requiring the user to investigate on its own.
I believe IBM DSx is a great fit for organizations that are engaged deeply in data science and are looking for a solution that is able to both leverage the efficiency of their actual work and train additional data scientists since it also features many tutorials to increase the knowledge for its users. I don't think it is the appropriate product for a full group of starters on data science and/or organizations that plan on using data science on a small scale because of its price and the high number of features.
Read Pedro Henrique de Almeida's full review
May 08, 2018

IBM Watson Studio Review: "Watson vs. DATA"

• Cloud-based file sharing helped our organization stay up to date when managing assets, new or old.
  • Watson studio does a fantastic job visualizing outcome data which enabled our organization to easily create a narrative based on what we were able to see.
  • Particularly within our organization, Watson Studio strength was noticed in its ability to processes enormous amounts of data in such a short amount of time.
  • Watson Studio could used improvement in its user-based community. I'd like to see more local and remote events showcasing its potential.
  • Watson Studio could improve by providing its users, use-cases that leverage data in unusual ways.
  • We think Watson studio could also improve by decreasing its price in order to capture new talent in the data industry.
We would highly recommend Watson Studio to any of our colleagues interested in combining machine learning and data management due to its wide range of capabilities and ease of use.
Read Isaiah King's full review
April 17, 2018

IBM Watson Studio Review: "I used to swear by IBM DSX"

• Good UI
  • Easy of use
  • Incorporates both Python and R
  • Could be more holistic
  • Have a look at Microsoft Studio, it's well integrated
  • Not very well thought out
Abundant use cases in the community section are very helpful.
Using R and Python interfaces on the same platform has great flexibility.
Drop down menus are great! Nothing needs changing there!
Apache Spark connection seems to be unstable.
The H2o package in R is erratic.
Apache spark in R could use some documentation - solid documentation.
Read Dr. George Ng's full review
April 05, 2018

IBM Watson Studio Review: "IBM Data Science Experience (DSx) for big data analysis"

• You can use SPSS model in order to predict trend with historical data
  • You can use R in order to clean up your data a Jupyter notebook
  • You can use Jupyter Notebooks to analyze Twitter data and create data visualizations
  • We try to install DSX in the local environment but it needs more resources
  • I'd like a better visualization library for charts
  • I'd like more webinar in order to introduce to the platform, also in Italian language
I appreciate IBM data science experience for creating an spss model and for working with R language. My project created with SPSS work in DSX ;: the import procedure is very good. With respect to SPSS, there is less model. The procedure for enabling my account is not simple and I've had only 30 days to try the platform.
Read Andrea Bardone's full review
March 30, 2018

IBM Watson Studio Review: "Beginner developer for DSx"

• Exploratory data analysis
  • Concurrent project and data management
  • Built-in libraries and frameworks for different programming languages
  • The data limit was low, but it depends on how much you pay
Any data analysis in Python or R is very simple to do with DSx, as the notebooks allow for easy organization of data and testing code. Using notebooks allows code to be run in sections allowing for bug-testing, but also step by step analysis which can be visualized to determine the impact and meaning of the data.
Read Dimitrije Glumac's full review
March 26, 2018

IBM Watson Studio Review: "IBM DSx, soon to be even more productive as Watson Studio"

I use DSx both for internal projects as well as for clients. Depending on the situation I'll sometimes use DSx desktop and the cloud service other times. Most of my applications represent some form of analytical pipeline and are used for experimentation and/or development rather than any kind of production use.
  • DSx is particularly well suited for ML data prep. It's easy to ingest from many different kinds of sources and then perform various cleansing, transformation, and enrichment operations.
  • DSx makes collaboration with other team members very easy. Control over who can see and interact with each project is straightforward and simple to administer.
  • DSx doesn't create proprietary lock-in. Notebooks can be exported in a number of different forms to share people that don't use DSx or to run in a different environment.
  • Stability has gradually improved over the past year or so, but could still be better.
  • I'd like to see options for leveraging a GPU on the cloud-hosted version.
  • I'd like to see even more ML model lifecycle support, but it's my understanding that this is coming with the move to Watson Studio.
DSx is a wonderful tool for certain kinds of applications such as experimenting or prototyping. It's probably not a great fit for production applications.
Read Jim Sharpe's full review
March 20, 2018

IBM Watson Studio Review: "Pretty good, but still away from perfect"

We have 10 users. It is used by the analytics team and by some other citizen data scientists capable of making use of it. We mainly use it for problems big enough that we are not able to tackle in our on-premise servers.
  • Integration with Spark
  • Jupyter-like environment
  • Asset and community access
  • Easier access to data
  • Connection with on-premise datasources
  • Personalization
It is well suited for a highly skilled team of data scientists, with needs of processing large quantities of data.
Read Sergio Pulido Tamayo's full review
March 19, 2018

IBM Watson Studio Review: "My thoughts on DSX"

We were using DSx for cleansing and modeling data for the insurance industry. DAD has been used for our small data science team only.
  • To have Jupyter notebooks and RStudio in the same environment is great!
  • The free Spark engine is perfect and enough to support the development activities.
  • The integration with GitHub facilitated our collaborative work.
  • To set up a new Spark cluster and use it with DSx is a bit hard. It would be great to have the option to create a new big cluster without leaving DSx.
  • I've faced several problems with DSx desktop.
IBM Data Science Experience Is a very flexible and handy environment; ideal to develop and debug your data science code.
Read Jose Valdivia Leon's full review
April 13, 2018

IBM Watson Studio Review: "Watson Studio opinion"

As an IBM partner, my company is evaluating this product for potential use for our clients. Usually we offer data mining projects in order to meet specifics needs our clients demand. As a example we develop models for risk prediction across many financial organizations.
  • I like very much to have a multitude of tools integrated nicely in one place.
  • The documentation is ever-growing and a source of continuous new insights. I appreciate the notable curatorial effort.
  • The tools and services are ever-growing too. The focus on open-source tools and the "no barriers in the middle" is really one of the strongest points in my opinion.
  • Well, I had issues of performance and responsivity.
  • As a tool for exploring new ideas and learning new techniques the free plan is limited to very small datasets in order to perform in a reasonable time.
  • As an example a simple test of Random Forest on a dataset of 100k rows didn't finish in the RStudio provided by Watson whereas it took half an hour in the RStudio installed in my desktop.
I think it's well suited for a large organization but no so for a small one.
Read Sebastian Ferro's full review
March 27, 2018

IBM Watson Studio: "DSx Review"

It is used to create demos of the tool and real cases for selling it. In my organization it is not used.
  • The run period is good and what you run is saved.
  • You have to install nothing and that's a great advantage.
  • You can create conections to save your files in the cloud.
  • It works perfectly in a collaborative environment and it's easy.
  • It is limited still. Jupyter supports many programming languages but DSx just manages three.
  • The scheduled jobs are fantastic but it can be more frequent.
  • The multiple errors of the account, the group, the services are confusing.
DSX is perfect when you want to work in the cloud. DSx is not recommended when you work with your own files on your PC and you want to upload your own files on your PC.
Read Sandra Sarahí Ruvalcaba Chávez's full review
April 16, 2018

IBM Watson Studio Review: "Great resource for learning"

We primarily use it for internal training and upskilling in IBM products/services and Data Science skills. This experience in turn helps us to better market Watson Studio, and our related services, to our customers and prospects. Finally we also help customers implement, administer/manage, and build solutions using Watson Studio and related components e.g. Jupyter notebooks, Db2, Watson Analytics, etc.
  • Data ingestion, using Data Refinery and Cloud Object Storage
  • Data persistence, using Db2 Warehouse on Cloud
  • Data manipulation, using Jupyter notebooks, via R or Python scripts
  • Data visualisation, using Pixie dust or Watson Analytics
  • No ability to audit/log activity
  • Difficult to secure
  • No access to underlying infrastructure
  • Poor reliability and performance
  • Machine learning capability too basic/simple and black box nature means it is difficult to validate/trust
  • Limited ability to customise Watson Analytics visualisation
  • Poor support response times
  • Poor native support for Softlayer S3 storage
It's a fantastic environment for learning basic Data Science skills; working with insensitive, non-production data; and performing simple data visualisations. It is completely unsuited to enterprise production deployments requiring advanced auditing and security; sophisticated and transparent machine learning; complex analytics and custom data visualisations.
April 06, 2018

IBM Watson Studio Review: "DSx, more for experimenting than experience."

DSX is being used to explore and mature ideas but has not yet been broadly adopted. It is being used to manage the analytics process of new ideas and theories as well as provide a common platform for the team to leverage and align on.
  • Allows for people with various technology backgrounds to use a common platform.
  • Easy implementation due to the cloud availability.
  • The DSX platform allows for junior and citizen data scientists to perform complex actions without needing to have deep knowledge of some of the underlying configuration and setup that generally come with standalone/local analytics tools.
  • Interfacing with non-IBM technologies is often cumbersome and sometimes restrictive.
  • The interface has undergone a number facelifts which often causes some lost productivity when you need to "find" where things have moved to.
Data science ideation and POC is definitely a sweet spot in my opinion of DSX. It is easy to get up and running and can elevate people that have the business knowledge but lack some of the senior science skills to be proficient analytics users.

Moving the models developed to a production ready model is not an easy path and often taking the analytics idea to a product involves translating the method and approach to other tools.
March 21, 2018

IBM Watson Studio Review: "IBM DSx"

IBM Data Science Experience was used by my organization for projects which required the use of Machine learning. Mainly the R Jupyter notebook was used as well as the SPSS Modeler. It was used by just a department. The main business problem was predicting Pavement condition index for highways.
  • DSx provides an excellent support for machine learning modeling
  • DSx provides a good environment for collaboration between colleagues
  • DSx also provides support for sharing datasets, models, notebooks, and articles to start projects
  • They should involve the drag and drop functionality more into DSx for data analysts who are not so much into coding
  • Also, scripting nodes should be integrated into the drag and drop(SPSS MODELER)
  • Also, more nodes should be added to the SPSS Modeler. For example, remove duplicates node, edit metadata node etc.
IBM DSx is best suited for creating cloud-based machine learning modeling. Its support for open-source software such as Python and R is a plus. For Data Analyst who prefers writing codes for all their algorithms, DSx is a better place to do this. The latest packages for the software can be added and installed easily too.
March 21, 2018

IBM Watson Studio Review: "DSX from a BP perspective"

We are an IBM Business Partner, we sell SPSS solutions and we were involved by IBM to try DSx and see how this new solution can fit our customer's needs. We are seeing DSx as a compliment to SPSS in organizations with users that are more prone to code analytics in open source languages instead of using more traditional tools like Statistics or Modeler.
  • Collaborative Work
  • Workspace
  • Scalability
  • SPSS Integration
  • Modeler Canvas development
  • Open source compatibility
For organizations that already have a data science department in place. Not for business users that need to have fast access to results in order to meet business demands.

DSX is fulfilling the capabilities that all users need. We see the main core of users on people who want to experiment with analytics, algorithms, and techniques before going full business implementation.
April 13, 2018

IBM Watson Studio Review: "From the heart"

Currently it is me and two other people in my organization using it. We use it for internal projects to learn the ropes, then the long term goal is to assist customers in a consultant role to improve business processes. In the current state, the product has a lot of bugs, and does not really solve any business problems. We are using the Apache Hadoop integration towards Watson Analytics Engine and hive tables on the IBM cloud object storage.
  • Intuitive interface, to allow anyone to participate.
  • Can use low level coding to improve performance and efficiency.
  • Integration towards other watson products.
  • Does not seem industry ready, a lot of integration bugs/problems.
  • Lack of clear and complete documentation of integration's within own organization.
  • Hard to maintain big projects (classes in python files etc).
When a team of hardcore coders and BI people need to work together, then IBM Watson Studio is an ok fit. Visualize data and sharing of notebooks between people at different levels.
March 30, 2018

IBM Watson Studio Review: "Good Toolset for a Data Scientist"

We use the DSX for modeling and prototyping. It is also good for demonstrations and code sharing.
  • Good setup for R, Python and Spark/Scala
  • Available as desktop version for offline usage
  • Easy to handle data sets
  • Easy to add new libraries for R and Python
  • Sometimes both versions (cloud and desktop) crash
  • Small community for backup
  • Missing implementation of SPSS
  • Free cloud version with low performance
DSX is well suited for explorative data analysis and prototyping. It works well for code sharing and working together. In fact its based onJupyter and some ecosystem of IBM. DSX is not good for using a model in production mode. A good challenger is data bricks notebooks and I‘m using both a lot.
March 27, 2018

IBM Watson Studio Review: "DSx is great and has a lot of potential!"

Data Science Experience was sought for its all-under-one roof capability whereas with earlier SPSS, our work was siloed. Now it is great that it allows for collaboration and even building of SPSS models within the environment. This allows us to share work with stakeholders and porting the models etc is very convenient. However at times, I have found the load times for each page and SPSS flows to be very long. Also the documentation is structured in such a way novice users can easily get lost while navigating. If IBM can address these couple of issues, DSx is a perfect product.
  • Collaboration and transparency of work
  • Easy deployment
  • Make the documentation coherent e.g. nowhere is information found on how install python packages. pip install package (that is found in the documentation does not help very well)
  • Improve load times
Again on account of the shortcomings mentioned, I would like to give a score of 7.
March 22, 2018

IBM Watson Studio Review: "A beginner's experience on IBM DSX"

I experienced IBM Data Science Experience on my own. It's not used by a department or across the whole organization. I used IBM Data Science Experience to process some data sets and learn more about ML algorithms.
  • The presentation of data is extremely awesome.
  • To write code and see its output immediately makes it easier for beginners like me.
  • Sometimes, it took several minutes to get operation results. It's not as quick as I use notebook which deployed in LAN.
  • All pages are in English, it would be much easier to start if pages can be presented in my mother tongue.
For data sets with big volume, it takes too long to upload to the cloud. Besides, some data is sensitive, it's forbidden to make it public. It would be suitable for the education industry. For example, it provides examples and tutorials for ML beginners.
March 29, 2018

IBM Watson Studio Review: "DSx Not for the bussines user"

It is used as part of the analytical portfolio which complements our solutions portfolio. DSx addresses the need of "test" other algorithms, which on a day to day basis, cannot be used in a production environment. DSx allows to make tests of these algorithms and make all the adjustments needed using code, taking advantage of the infrastructure behind. When the test are done, we use Our main analytics platform to deploy these new models
  • Collaboration and the interface, is quite easy to use, when you already knows how to use of R
  • All the elements of software and hardware needed in one instance
  • Integration with Bluemix
  • Integration with On-premise solutions, because not all the users have on cloud data
  • Full Integration with SPSS Modeler, because we need to deploy the ne models
Not for business users, they need to make decisions faster, so make the code for churn analysis or other solutions could take more time to have the correct answer.
For developing new functionalities, testing new algorithms is a good tool.

Not all the customers are ready to work in the cloud. To create a cluster in-house could be expensive.
I would like marketing would make more emphasis on the advanced funtions rather than the main functions. I think DSx has lots of functionalities that aren’t mentioned and make a great diference among competitors.
March 27, 2018

IBM Watson Studio: "My IBM Data Science Experience (DSx) Review"

IBM Data Science Experience (DSx) is being used by my university under a Bluemix license.Personally, I used it during a group project in which we addressed a Machine Learning problem using PySpark.
  • Quick access to all the features on the dashboard. Good connectivity to the clusters.
  • Efficiency for a teamwork and flexible when using shared projects.
  • Easy to use from the very start and very flexible platform.
  • Sometimes the kernel is slow and that is annoying if you are in need of a quick check of your results.
I think it is very useful when dealing with problems which need a parallel computing running environment with multi-clusters.

I found it very comfortable using the notebooks.
March 27, 2018

IBM Watson Studio Review: "IBM DSx not meeting expectations"

Our customers use DSx and we help them implement their data analysis.
  • Cloud storage and cloud computations.
  • Computational speed is incredibly slow
  • Difficult user interface for automatic analysis
  • Administrative problems, difficult to create new users
It does the job gathering and analyzing data, but suffers from performance issues.
February 23, 2018

IBM Watson Studio Review: "DSx - as a beginner"

DSX is being used by a sub-department of our company.

We are using it for the projects of service-automation and recommendation systems to analyse data and build models.
  • Can connect to IBM DB2 - Data Warehouse and has integrated IDEs for Data-Scientists including RStudio, Jupyter Notebooks and SQL-Dashboard.
  • A version of DSX, DSX-Desktop, makes it quite easy to play with your data and is powered by Spark.
  • Access to ML Libs such as, Python Sci-kit Learn makes it simple to not only apply the model over data and optimize it, but also to deploy to Watson Machine Learning service for production purposes.
  • I would love to deploy the R-models for production.
Consider an ecosystem or application backend, that has different databases with different types of data (structured, documents etc.). Normally, a simple analytics for such data sources requires to fetch and query data from multiple sources and build visualizations for them. With DSX RStudio or Jupyter and DashDB (or DB2), all data can be accessed at one point. This makes it, as per the definition, a more practical approach than Data Lakes, where you can also build and deploy ML models. Almost everything that a data scientist needs.
Read Bhaumik Pandya's full review
February 22, 2018

IBM Watson Studio Review: "DSX: a cloud solution to make data science in the company a reality"

To move data from to an API public government service to an operational dashboard that shows real time results.

All the connections and data preparation jobs are achieved with DSX through a Python Jupyter notebook which runs automatically every 10 minutes and solves the whole process without human intervention.
  • Scalable in the sense that its performance can grow without complications, but also in its capabilities, since various services can be included at a very competitive price: optimization, machine learning, storage, etc.
  • Collaborative solution, since you do not work in isolation, you can generate data science projects with your peers, manage permissions, manage versions of the script.
  • Enabled in Spark, the top framework for data science and machine learning.
  • It would be very valuable to include a calculator that will help you identify how many cores or require hiring Spark resources and storage resources, to make a precise sizing from the start.
Ideal for companies that have teams (3 to more professionals) of data scientists who need to guarantee results at all times and without breaks, in the sense that DSX is in a cloud that does not require installations or dependencies of the IT department.
Read José Adolfo Ramírez Magdaleno's full review
January 23, 2018

IBM Watson Studio Review: "Cooking With Gas - IBM DSx Is Your New Wave Igniter Fluid"

We bid on specialized projects in the public sector using a confidential configuration that solves a variety of problems. Marketing Research, Unified Data Governance, Modern Call Center, and other Cloud Initiatives. It's an integral part of our training for Engagement, Conversion, and Fulfillment of our BPM. This plans optimization segments by use case rather than dedicating resources to a single Industry like everyone else.
  • Rapid Data Science; IBM has done a great job of automating the data prep.
  • Asset Classification; there's a way to use numerical language prediction vs. natural language processing by using highly specialized data classification catalog within the DSx.
  • Visual Data Modeling; this results in faster time to value because you won't spend all day tuning a data model. Allowing you to compare different data models in the same weather forecast.
  • There should be a heavier emphasis on the IBM DSx Community. Showing people where to begin.
  • Perhaps more information related to how data science improves an organizations competency inventory to reduce the intimidation factors.
It's suited for big data analytics. Some industries would Pharma data, Oil & Gas, Financial Markets, HR, Sales, Price Variance, and etc. Most professionals do repetitive data prep on static spreadsheets. DSx reduces the data duplication and allows everyone to see the same picture. And makes segregation of duties simple: the modeler can be isolated from the data tuning operation and both can be isolated from the decision maker.
Read Colin Sumter's full review
March 06, 2018

IBM Watson Studio Review: "Forget the configuration. Use DSx."

We use DSX in the development department. Previously, we spent a lot of time configuring our machines, setting up the computers and the virtual environments, getting the libraries. We can show our work to our boss without going with our computers. WIth DSX, we are able to do our work in the platform and share it with whoever we want. Then, they can leave comments in the notebook and we can review them later.
  • Configuration: You can forget about all the setup. You just open a notebook, import the libraries you want and start writing
  • Sharing: You can share your thoughts with anyone, because all your code lives in the cloud
  • Tools: IBM has amazing tools for speech recognition, image processing, and so on
  • Because of my use, I didn't find anything to improve. I think that making things more visual will be useful for non-expert people, like flowcharts for example
I felt quite comfortable using DSX for prototyping. I was able to build an interesting model in less than two weeks, and I found it to be very productive to be able to share my ideas with the client and receive back their comments.

After that, I had to implement this model to be used as a REST service. I tried to do that with DSX but it was not possible, which is reasonable since it is not designed to do that.
Read Facundo Ferrín's full review

About IBM Watson Studio

IBM Data Science Experience is a collaborative, cloud-based environment providing data scientists with a variety of tools including RStudio, Jupyter, Python, Scala, Spark, IBM Watson Machine Learning, and more.