QuickBooks Self-Employed Reviews

Jonathan Palance | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 25, 2020

Accounting Solved for S-corp Business

I use QuickBooks Self-Employed to log expenses and keep track of invoices. This has helped me drastically reduce time spent during tax season. Also, the invoicing feature is fantastic.
  • Logging of expenses
  • Tracking mileage
  • Invoicing clients
  • Providing detailed tax info for you or your accountant.
  • Invoicing customization
  • Client organization
This is very well-suited for individuals and organizations who want to clean up their tax preparation. It also helps to keep track of profits and losses, giving you a real-time idea of where your business is headed. This particular version that I'm using wouldn't be well suited for large organizations who would need more control split among team members.
Read Jonathan Palance's full review
Alexa Tsongranis | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 25, 2020

Monitor Cash Flow with QuickBooks Self-Employed

QuickBooks Self-Employed is being used across the entire organization. Mostly, it is used for expense tracking and invoice management. QuickBooks Self-Employed helps keep things organized and allows us to easily send invoices while tracking and receiving payments from clients and outside organizations.
  • Easy-to-use.
  • Great for small and medium-sized businesses.
  • Expensive for larger organizations.
  • Mobile app can be buggy.
We have found that QuickBooks Self-Employed is best suited for small and medium-sized businesses who need a solution for money tracking, invoices, and other miscellaneous money-related tasks. Tracking expenses, paying invoices and keeping track of cash flow are all easy to use for solopreneurs and larger business organizations.
Read Alexa Tsongranis's full review
Reagan Baird Edwards | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 23, 2020

Simple Accounting Solution for my Business

I use QuickBooks Self-Employed for all of my accounting needs. I am able to track all of my profits and losses through the product, keep track of miles driven, connect my banking account, organize all of my expenses, and even use the product to charge my customers. This is especially helpful as I file my quarterly estimated taxes.
  • Syncs to bank to track all expenses and income.
  • Automatically organizes expenses into predicted categories.
  • Wish I could customize the appearance of my invoices.
  • No place for me to track my hours worked.
This is a great product if you are a freelancer of some sort who needs basic accounting software and a user-friendly way to track taxes. Its functions are intuitive and the integrations make it so easy to use. If you need more than a Profit and Loss statement and a basic breakdown of your taxes, then you will need software that provides more robust reports.
Read Reagan Baird Edwards's full review
Paul Lipman | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 22, 2020

Great for solo practitioner - Simple to use

I am a sole proprietor of a recruiting firm. This solves 99% of my accounting needs by tracking every transaction from bank, credit card and cash spending, as well as producing invoices and preparing me for year end tax. It integrates with TurboTax, allowing me to simplify my year-end tax reporting. Through a phone app, it tracks mileage as well.
  • Tracks mileage through phone app.
  • Integrates with TurboTax.
  • Add easier ability to send out invoices manually.
  • Ability to track to see if invoice was delivered.
Well suited for sole proprietorship (me). Allows me to review each transaction to determine if it is a business or personal transaction. Tracks mileage using GPS through both android and apple IOS phones. Inexpensive solution for accounting purposes. If you have a simple business, don't need to hire an accountant. Generates and tracks invoices well.
Read Paul Lipman's full review
January 22, 2020

Honesty QB

We use it for invoicing, electronic bank account, track payments. It keeps our records organized, it's easy to understand and use and very easy to make corrections.
  • Reconciliations.
  • Track customers.
  • Number of records allowed.
  • Recovery.
QuickBooks Self-Employed is well suited for businesses that have to keep track of inventory, charge for services, and create invoices on the fly. Payment received and deposited.
Markus Melton | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 31, 2019

Overall, it's a great asset to have!

We currently use Intuit Payroll, in its various forms, for almost all of our payroll clients. All of our team members use it and some of our clients are trained to use it as well through their own login. We originally began using it for its integration with QBO, simplicity of use, and quick direct deposit turn-around. There is, of course, the benefit of being able to access it anywhere.
  • Online access.
  • Time sheets.
  • App.
  • The setup can be a bit daunting still if you are not familiar with the system or the various taxes and requirements for reporting.
Intuit Payroll is great for small businesses needing to have a fairly hands-free approach to payroll. If you are an accountant managing multiple clients, it is simple enough and the price-point is tolerable. You do have the option for the clients to pay for the subscription as well.
Read Markus Melton's full review
Paige Allar | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 03, 2019

QuickBooks - Quick to book your next vacation!

QuickBooks Self-Employed is a software program that is used by a lot of our 1099 insurance agents to keep track of expenses and other financial aspects of their jobs. It is beneficial for them to have everything in one place for tax time and for personal audits.
  • Collaboration with TurboTax for tax submission.
  • Linking to accounts to ensure all purchases are included.
  • Allows for shortcuts for recurring expenses.
  • Doesn't explain how taxes are calculated for newcomers.
  • Sometimes automatically moves transactions to a different category.
Their mobile app is what I used more than anything, and it's very easily navigated. It brings up all of your transactions from bank accounts and cards linked, so you're able to categorize them accordingly. The same with trips in your car - allowing for mileage to be counted. It would be good for users who are 1099 looking to have a good grasp of their credits and debits, as well as for tax time preparation as everything is already in one place.
Read Paige Allar's full review
Aaron Metzger | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 14, 2019

QuickBooks Self-Employed is a Must Have for Small Businesses

I currently run all of our business expenses and income through QuickBooks. The simple app on my phone allows me to swipe business and personal expenses, keeping all our finances separate and accounted for. Additionally, I can run invoices and reporting through QuickBooks which allows me to keep my clients on track with their monthly retainers.
  • Tracking expenses is as simple as swiping left and right, it couldn't be easier.
  • Running invoices through QuickBooks is simple and effective.
  • Allowing clients to pay by card or check allows you to get paid faster and give the clients multiple ways of paying invoices, which helps everyone.
  • Automatically tracking estimated quarterly taxes is very helpful and it keeps it top-of mind for each month.
  • Automatic mileage tracking used to work a lot better than it currently does. I got a new phone, and now I have to manually input call tracking, because it just doesn't work anymore.
  • When creating invoices, there should be a way to import data into an invoices from Excel, which would make the invoicing a lot faster. Additionally, being able to press ENTER to save a line item on an invoice would be nice. Currently it doesn't work that way.
  • Editing invoices shouldn't require sending a reminder.
Absolutely a must-have for small business owners. It connects to all your personal and business banking and credit accounts to keep your business and personal expenses separate. The design of the phone app makes tracking your expenses a little fun, honestly. The online desktop dashboard allows for enhanced features which helps you invoice and track client spends.
Read Aaron Metzger's full review
Tim Vahsholtz | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 06, 2018

It's okay, but plan to spend some time categorizing your entries.

I use QuickBooks Self-Employed for my sole proprietor business. (I also use Quicken, which I find to be a little easier to manage, actually.) My main reason for choosing QuickBooks Self-Employed was the mileage tracking feature, as well as the ability to have transactions auto loaded. The mileage feature works pretty well, but the auto transaction feature tended to miscategorize many of the entries. This resulted in a lot of extra time spent.
  • QuickBooks Self-Employed does keep a running total of your income and estimated taxes. Of course, this requires that your entries are accurate.
  • The mileage feature is particularly helpful. One just needs to either use the phone app in conjunction with QuickBooks Self-Employed, or keep a log of all mileage.
  • When tax time comes around, it's easy to use TurboTax software and import your data from QuickBooks.
  • Automatic entries could be improved. QuickBooks Self Employed requires you to login every day or two to check on your entries to ensure they are in the correct category. You can mark certain entries for certain categories
  • I find the whole site to run a little slow. While going through and marking the entries to the correct category, the page will sometimes get stuck and entries won't update very quickly. It slows down the process.
  • Overall, QuickBooks has a fairly steep learning curve. It does try to intuitively do some things for you, but if you have to go and correct them, I think you spend more time, and it defeats the purpose of the software.
QuickBooks Self-Employed is a very detailed software to keep track of your finances and tax obligations. I'm reviewing the online version here and honestly, if you are into QuickBooks, it might be worth looking into the stand-alone software version. Ideally, if you work remotely, in various places and on more than one computer (desktop or laptop) then QuickBooks online is a good idea. But the slow interface is troubling to me and I spend a lot of time going through and correcting entries QuickBooks imports from my bank account. In fact, I've gone back to my stand-alone version of Quicken.
Read Tim Vahsholtz's full review
Benjamin E. Jerew | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 20, 2018

QuickBooks Self-Employed Lets Me Focus on Creation, Not Bookkeeping

As a freelance writer, solo entrepreneur, and one-man-army, my time is divided between several activities, from scoping out clients and researching content to bookkeeping and tax preparation. QuickBooks Self-Employed makes bookkeeping and tax preparation easier than ever. Only a few clicks and my income and expenses are categorized for easy review and year-end taxes, not to mention automatic quarterly-tax reminders.
  • Cross-platform compatibility (Browser, Android) makes it easy to see how my business is doing almost anywhere.
  • Smart enough to recognize and automatically categorize most of my transactions, so I don't have to fuss with spreadsheets at the end of the year.
  • Updates automatically and notifies me when it needs help, so I don't have to spend too much time babysitting it.
  • Integrated with TurboTax and automatically exports year-end tax info for easy filing.
  • Doesn't integrate with Mint, which I use for my home expenses. I think this would be a nice addition to the program, so I could keep track of my whole financial situation.
  • A Windows 10 app would be a nice addition to the program, so I could access it securely from my desktop.
As the name of the program suggests, QuickBooks Self-Employed is best-suited for self-employed people, freelancers and solo entrepreneurs would find the tools within to be exceptionally useful to keep track of expenses so they can focus on more profitable activities. Other QuickBooks tiers might be more fitting for small businesses and larger companies.
Read Benjamin E. Jerew's full review
Nathanial Holt | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 08, 2017

Easy to use small business friendly software

My partner and I use QuickBooks to keep track of all our financials. It's easy to use and inexpensive compared to hiring an accountant.
  • Easy to keep track of expenditures such as mileage, equipment purchases, equipment rentals, really anything we use for our business
  • Helps keep track of our income and which clients paid what.
  • It's inexpensive compared to hiring an accountant.
  • I honestly don't have anything bad to say about QuickBooks. It does everything we need it to do and more.
It works perfectly for what we need it to. It's easy to create an invoice and keep track of the invoices you have out. I think it might be less appropriate for a small business that had a large amount of inventory and was selling a product as opposed to a service like we do.
Read Nathanial Holt's full review
Andreas Jones - LSSGB, CPP, CSCS | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 14, 2017

QuickBooks Delivers Best in Class Service and Use Experience

QuickBooks is being used to send invoices, collect payments and track quarterly taxes. QuickBooks has been a great value add to our company and it helps stay on top of our finances and accounting information. QuickBooks is being used across the entire organization and it addresses our accounting and invoicing needs.
  • Invoicing
  • Accounting
  • Taxes
  • Notifications
  • Taxes
Exceptional user interface and navigation. Easily tracks expenses and income. Automatic mileage tracking. Can assign business transactions to Schedule C categories. Estimates quarterly income taxes. New invoices and reports. Lacks direct integration with e-commerce sites. No data records, time tracking, project tracking, or recurring transactions. Accounting service QuickBooks Self-Employed helps users track income and expenses, and estimate quarterly taxes. Though it lacks some standard accounting tools.
Read Andreas Jones - LSSGB, CPP, CSCS's full review
Lawson Brooks III | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 08, 2017

If you're a freelancer or Solopreneur Quickbooks for Self-Employed is a must.

I use Quickbooks self-employed (QBSE) to track all of my daily expenses and categorize them as either business, personal or excluded expenses. QBSE does a great job in allowing me to not only follow my spending, but it provides me a quarterly tally of my estimated taxes which I can pay directly online. The software also allows me to generate quarterly or annual profit and loss reports as well as accumulate all of my tax information which I can migrate seamlessly to TurboTax.
  • The expense tracking feature is outstanding. I'm prompted to reconcile new transactions whether on my laptop or my phone and can delineate them with the touch of a button.
  • The ability to monitor and pay my quarterly estimated taxes is huge and by using this feature the tax headaches that many freelancers experience are taken care of.
  • The linking to TurboTax makes doing one's taxes a very manageable endeavor.
  • There are a number of unnecessary and ongoing prompts to do small tasks, like creating a rule for certain transactions. I could do without those.
  • There are also occasional glitches with bank setup that produce duplicate transactions which can be a pain to deal with. I also haven't been able to find a way to effectively edit transactions.
  • I also wish that QBSE integrated with software like Freshbooks, TripIt and Expensify.
QBSE is ideally suited for the freelancer and not so much for companies.
Read Lawson Brooks III's full review

QuickBooks Self-Employed Scorecard Summary

Pay calculation (3)
Benefit plan administration (3)
Direct deposit files (3)
Salary revision and increment management (3)
Reimbursement management (3)
6.5
API for custom integration (2)
Plug-ins (3)
Single sign-on capability (6)
9.2
Role-based user permissions (3)
Dashboards (10)
Cash management (8)
Bank reconciliation (8)
Expense management (12)
Time tracking (5)
Fixed asset management (4)
Multi-currency support (2)
Multi-division support (2)
Regulations compliance (2)
6.0
Electronic tax filing (11)
Self-service portal (7)
9.4
Global Financial Support (2)
Primary and Secondary Ledgers (2)
Intercompany Accounting (2)
Localizations (2)
Journals and Reconciliations (4)
Enterprise Accounting (2)
Configurable Accounting (2)
Centralized Rules Framework (2)
Standardized Processes (3)
6.0
Pricing (3)
Order entry (3)
9.5
Credit card processing (4)
Cost of goods sold (3)
Order Orchestration (2)
End-to-end order visibility (2)
Order exception Resolution (2)

About QuickBooks Self-Employed