It's okay, but plan to spend some time categorizing your entries.I use QuickBooks Self-Employed for my sole proprietor business. (I also use Quicken, which I find to be a little easier to manage, actually.) My main reason for choosing QuickBooks Self-Employed was the mileage tracking feature, as well as the ability to have transactions auto loaded. The mileage feature works pretty well, but the auto transaction feature tended to miscategorize many of the entries. This resulted in a lot of extra time spent.,QuickBooks Self-Employed does keep a running total of your income and estimated taxes. Of course, this requires that your entries are accurate. The mileage feature is particularly helpful. One just needs to either use the phone app in conjunction with QuickBooks Self-Employed, or keep a log of all mileage. When tax time comes around, it's easy to use TurboTax software and import your data from QuickBooks.,Automatic entries could be improved. QuickBooks Self Employed requires you to login every day or two to check on your entries to ensure they are in the correct category. You can mark certain entries for certain categories I find the whole site to run a little slow. While going through and marking the entries to the correct category, the page will sometimes get stuck and entries won't update very quickly. It slows down the process. Overall, QuickBooks has a fairly steep learning curve. It does try to intuitively do some things for you, but if you have to go and correct them, I think you spend more time, and it defeats the purpose of the software.,4,A positive impact on my business is, of course, keeping track of income and expenses, and approximate quarterly taxes. QuickBooks is a little better at this than Quicken, I think. By using QuickBooks (and Quicken) it saves me having to spend money on an accountant. (At least up to this point.) However, the time I spend on daily or weekly entries takes billable time away from other things.,,Google DriveQuickBooks Self-Employed Lets Me Focus on Creation, Not BookkeepingAs a freelance writer, solo entrepreneur, and one-man-army, my time is divided between several activities, from scoping out clients and researching content to bookkeeping and tax preparation. QuickBooks Self-Employed makes bookkeeping and tax preparation easier than ever. Only a few clicks and my income and expenses are categorized for easy review and year-end taxes, not to mention automatic quarterly-tax reminders.,Cross-platform compatibility (Browser, Android) makes it easy to see how my business is doing almost anywhere. Smart enough to recognize and automatically categorize most of my transactions, so I don't have to fuss with spreadsheets at the end of the year. Updates automatically and notifies me when it needs help, so I don't have to spend too much time babysitting it. Integrated with TurboTax and automatically exports year-end tax info for easy filing.,Doesn't integrate with Mint, which I use for my home expenses. I think this would be a nice addition to the program, so I could keep track of my whole financial situation. A Windows 10 app would be a nice addition to the program, so I could access it securely from my desktop.,10,My covering my bookkeeping needs, QuickBooks Self-Employed allows me to focus on more profitable activities. Automatically categorizing my income and expenses makes year-end tax preparation a breeze. Automatic tax payment reminders help me keep up with legal requirements for my freelance business.,,Microsoft Office 2016, Upwork, Toggl, Google Drive, Todoist, Skype, Slack, UberConference, Wix, Skyword, Freelancer.com, Apache OpenOffice, Nitro Cloud, Microsoft AccessEasy to use small business friendly softwareMy partner and I use QuickBooks to keep track of all our financials. It's easy to use and inexpensive compared to hiring an accountant.,Easy to keep track of expenditures such as mileage, equipment purchases, equipment rentals, really anything we use for our business Helps keep track of our income and which clients paid what. It's inexpensive compared to hiring an accountant.,I honestly don't have anything bad to say about QuickBooks. It does everything we need it to do and more.,10,Its has made it easier to concentrate on growing our business as opposed to spending a lot of time trying to manage our financials. Saves us money on having to hire an accountant.,CloudBooks,Adobe Acrobat DC, Adobe Illustrator CC, Adobe Photoshop, Google Domains, Google Drive, WixQuickBooks Delivers Best in Class Service and Use ExperienceQuickBooks is being used to send invoices, collect payments and track quarterly taxes. QuickBooks has been a great value add to our company and it helps stay on top of our finances and accounting information. QuickBooks is being used across the entire organization and it addresses our accounting and invoicing needs.,Invoicing Accounting Taxes,Notifications Taxes,10,Ease of use User experience User interface,PayPal Payments,10,1,accounting Taxes invoices,spend management,Tax preparation,10,No,Price Product Features Product Usability Product Reputation Vendor Reputation,I would not change anything.If you're a freelancer or Solopreneur Quickbooks for Self-Employed is a must.I use Quickbooks self-employed (QBSE) to track all of my daily expenses and categorize them as either business, personal or excluded expenses. QBSE does a great job in allowing me to not only follow my spending, but it provides me a quarterly tally of my estimated taxes which I can pay directly online. The software also allows me to generate quarterly or annual profit and loss reports as well as accumulate all of my tax information which I can migrate seamlessly to TurboTax.,The expense tracking feature is outstanding. I'm prompted to reconcile new transactions whether on my laptop or my phone and can delineate them with the touch of a button. The ability to monitor and pay my quarterly estimated taxes is huge and by using this feature the tax headaches that many freelancers experience are taken care of. The linking to TurboTax makes doing one's taxes a very manageable endeavor.,There are a number of unnecessary and ongoing prompts to do small tasks, like creating a rule for certain transactions. I could do without those. There are also occasional glitches with bank setup that produce duplicate transactions which can be a pain to deal with. I also haven't been able to find a way to effectively edit transactions. I also wish that QBSE integrated with software like Freshbooks, Tripit and Expensify.,8,The positive ROI for me has been seamless tax preparation Accurate tax payment estimates Ability to track spending in an orderly manner,,Wunderlist, TripIt
QuickBooks Self-Employed

QuickBooks Self-Employed Reviews

QuickBooks Self-Employed
Filter 22 vetted QuickBooks Self-Employed reviews and ratings
Tim Vahsholtz profile photo
August 06, 2018

QuickBooks Self-Employed Review: "It's okay, but plan to spend some time categorizing your entries."

• QuickBooks Self-Employed does keep a running total of your income and estimated taxes. Of course, this requires that your entries are accurate.
  • The mileage feature is particularly helpful. One just needs to either use the phone app in conjunction with QuickBooks Self-Employed, or keep a log of all mileage.
  • When tax time comes around, it's easy to use TurboTax software and import your data from QuickBooks.
  • Automatic entries could be improved. QuickBooks Self Employed requires you to login every day or two to check on your entries to ensure they are in the correct category. You can mark certain entries for certain categories
  • I find the whole site to run a little slow. While going through and marking the entries to the correct category, the page will sometimes get stuck and entries won't update very quickly. It slows down the process.
  • Overall, QuickBooks has a fairly steep learning curve. It does try to intuitively do some things for you, but if you have to go and correct them, I think you spend more time, and it defeats the purpose of the software.
QuickBooks Self-Employed is a very detailed software to keep track of your finances and tax obligations. I'm reviewing the online version here and honestly, if you are into QuickBooks, it might be worth looking into the stand-alone software version. Ideally, if you work remotely, in various places and on more than one computer (desktop or laptop) then QuickBooks online is a good idea. But the slow interface is troubling to me and I spend a lot of time going through and correcting entries QuickBooks imports from my bank account. In fact, I've gone back to my stand-alone version of Quicken.
Read Tim Vahsholtz's full review
Benjamin E. Jerew profile photo
June 20, 2018

Review: "QuickBooks Self-Employed Lets Me Focus on Creation, Not Bookkeeping"

• Cross-platform compatibility (Browser, Android) makes it easy to see how my business is doing almost anywhere.
  • Smart enough to recognize and automatically categorize most of my transactions, so I don't have to fuss with spreadsheets at the end of the year.
  • Updates automatically and notifies me when it needs help, so I don't have to spend too much time babysitting it.
  • Integrated with TurboTax and automatically exports year-end tax info for easy filing.
  • Doesn't integrate with Mint, which I use for my home expenses. I think this would be a nice addition to the program, so I could keep track of my whole financial situation.
  • A Windows 10 app would be a nice addition to the program, so I could access it securely from my desktop.
As the name of the program suggests, QuickBooks Self-Employed is best-suited for self-employed people, freelancers and solo entrepreneurs would find the tools within to be exceptionally useful to keep track of expenses so they can focus on more profitable activities. Other QuickBooks tiers might be more fitting for small businesses and larger companies.
Read Benjamin E. Jerew's full review
Nathanial Holt profile photo
November 08, 2017

QuickBooks Self-Employed Review: "Easy to use small business friendly software"

• Easy to keep track of expenditures such as mileage, equipment purchases, equipment rentals, really anything we use for our business
  • Helps keep track of our income and which clients paid what.
  • It's inexpensive compared to hiring an accountant.
  • I honestly don't have anything bad to say about QuickBooks. It does everything we need it to do and more.
It works perfectly for what we need it to. It's easy to create an invoice and keep track of the invoices you have out. I think it might be less appropriate for a small business that had a large amount of inventory and was selling a product as opposed to a service like we do.
Read Nathanial Holt's full review
Andreas Jones - LSSGB, CPP, CSCS profile photo
June 14, 2017

QuickBooks Self-Employed Review: "QuickBooks Delivers Best in Class Service and Use Experience"

• Invoicing
  • Accounting
  • Taxes
  • Notifications
  • Taxes
Exceptional user interface and navigation. Easily tracks expenses and income. Automatic mileage tracking. Can assign business transactions to Schedule C categories. Estimates quarterly income taxes. New invoices and reports. Lacks direct integration with e-commerce sites. No data records, time tracking, project tracking, or recurring transactions. Accounting service QuickBooks Self-Employed helps users track income and expenses, and estimate quarterly taxes. Though it lacks some standard accounting tools.
Read Andreas Jones - LSSGB, CPP, CSCS's full review
Lawson Brooks III profile photo
March 08, 2017

QuickBooks Self-Employed Review: "If you're a freelancer or Solopreneur Quickbooks for Self-Employed is a must."

• The expense tracking feature is outstanding. I'm prompted to reconcile new transactions whether on my laptop or my phone and can delineate them with the touch of a button.
  • The ability to monitor and pay my quarterly estimated taxes is huge and by using this feature the tax headaches that many freelancers experience are taken care of.
  • The linking to TurboTax makes doing one's taxes a very manageable endeavor.
  • There are a number of unnecessary and ongoing prompts to do small tasks, like creating a rule for certain transactions. I could do without those.
  • There are also occasional glitches with bank setup that produce duplicate transactions which can be a pain to deal with. I also haven't been able to find a way to effectively edit transactions.
  • I also wish that QBSE integrated with software like Freshbooks, TripIt and Expensify.
QBSE is ideally suited for the freelancer and not so much for companies.
Read Lawson Brooks III's full review

QuickBooks Self-Employed Scorecard Summary

Pay calculation (1)
Benefit plan administration (1)
Direct deposit files (1)
Salary revision and increment management (1)
Reimbursement management (1)
API for custom integration (1)
Plug-ins (1)
Single sign-on capability (3)
9.8
Role-based user permissions (1)
Dashboards (4)
Cash management (4)
Bank reconciliation (3)
Expense management (4)
Time tracking (3)
Fixed asset management (2)
10.0
Multi-currency support (1)
Multi-division support (1)
Regulations compliance (1)
Electronic tax filing (5)
Self-service portal (3)
Global Financial Support (1)
Primary and Secondary Ledgers (1)
Intercompany Accounting (1)
Localizations (1)
Journals and Reconciliations (2)
4.1
Enterprise Accounting (1)
Configurable Accounting (1)
Centralized Rules Framework (1)
Standardized Processes (2)
5.4
Inventory tracking (1)
Automatic reordering (1)
Location management (1)
Manufacturing module (1)
Pricing (1)
Order entry (1)
Credit card processing (1)
Cost of goods sold (1)
Order Orchestration (1)
End-to-end order visibility (1)
Order exception Resolution (1)
Branded client dashboards (1)
Client data roll-up capabilities (1)
Client data consolidation for benchmarking (1)
Configurable alerts (1)
Billing bypass (1)
Client template cloning (1)
Single sign-on (1)
Configurable client onboarding questions (1)
Cross-client workflow management (1)
Industry-specific versioning (1)
Legacy system data migration (1)

About QuickBooks Self-Employed