- project management of clients
- Time management
- Book keeping
Products that are considered exceptional by their customers based on a variety of criteria win TrustRadius awards. Learn more about the types of TrustRadius awards to make the best purchase decision. More about TrustRadius Awards
- Dashboards (50)7.777%
- Expense management (45)7.272%
- Accounts receivable (49)7.272%
- Standard reports (48)6.969%
Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of FreshBooks, and make your voice heard!
Entry-level set up fee?
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
- Tech Details
- Supported: Accounts payable
- Supported: Accounts receivable
- Supported: Expense management
- Supported: Time tracking
- Supported: Regulations compliance
- Supported: Pricing
- Supported: Order entry
- Supported: Credit card processing
- Supported: Dashboards
- Supported: Standard reports
- Supported: API for custom integration
- Supported: Plug-ins
- Supported: Role-based user permissions
|Deployment Types||On-premise, Software as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based|
|Operating Systems||Windows, Mac|
|Mobile Application||Apple iOS, Android|
|Small Businesses (1-50 employees)||95%|
|Mid-Size Companies (51-500 employees)||5%|
|Enterprises (more than 500 employees)||0%|
- Invoice creation.
- Time Capture for work done.
- Access for tax advisor.
- WePay integration is a giant mistake - I can't receive payments directly from clients.
- If work is only assigned to a client, without the project tag, it will be missed off invoice creation without the user realizing that those hours haven't been accounted for.
- Account Payable.
- Accounts Payable.
- Within the use we gave it, it was quite intuitive and user-friendly.
- The platform operates safely and robustly with large amounts of information.
- The price for its use and its ease of increasing users is competitive compared to other options.
- I understand that they are already working to improve compliance with Mexican legislation.
- Support in Spanish is quite useful for your operation in Mexico.
- The User Manual documents are only found in English.
- project management of clients
- Time management
- Book keeping
- Time tracking
- Project Management
- Time tracking within projects
- Management of monthly recurring project budgets
One main reason I went with FreshBooks is the fact that it links up with Fundbox. Our clients are good about paying (usually), but not knowing exactly when checks arrive can be strenuous on small business. By linking up w/Fundbox, we can use that service to keep cash flow going in case of a tardy payment.
- FreshBooks is great for creating, sending and/or auto charging for invoices you set up in advance. Several of my clients are on monthly service packages, and it's great to save time by having the invoices ready to go. Most of our clients pay via check, so we only have FreshBooks create the invoices. Plus, we can double check that there are no additional charges that need to be added before the invoice goes out.
- FreshBooks has a pretty robust auto email section. New invoice emails, payment reminders, and notifications of late fees are all part of this feature. Plus, if you learn the shortcodes, you can customize these emails.
- FreshBooks interfaces with Fundbox, an important tool for a small business of our size.
- One big area for improvement is being able to automatically carry over a past due balance to a new invoice. If a client is late with their payment, you have to either add the previous balance to the new invoice or have two invoices sitting out there, which can be confusing for the client. If the new invoice has the previous balance included with it, you must zero out the previous month invoice, or your FreshBooks will indicate you have more money owed than you actually do. (This is an accounting issue).
- It would be nice if FreshBooks would interface with Quicken and or QuickBooks. (I'm not certain that it doesn't, but don't believe it does.
- Real time invoice tracking
- Easy implementation
- Cloud support
- Onboarding process
- API SDK support for latest programming languages like Node.js, Go
- Direct integration with other CRMs
- Ease of invoice creation.
- Ease of invoice status tracking.
- Frequent crashes.
- With large volumes of information it can be slow to load.
- Invoicing - Creating invoices is easy. This helps me to get the invoices out faster. It automatically keeps items so that I can re-use them later. as an example, if I want to charge the client for a digital transfer fee, I can pick that item form a drop-down menu and it will even fill in the rate that I used in the past.
- Templates- The template allows me to keep my branding cohesive and professional. You can add your logo and pick a theme color so that it matches your brand. There are two different template layouts to choose from.
- Automatic Expense Importing - I use two separate credit cards for my business. One card for non-billable items and another for items that I bill my clients for. The auto importing makes adding those billable items to invoices easy.
- Templates- One of my biggest gripes about Freshbooks is that if you change the Terms section on an invoice, it will change it for every future invoice across the board. I often need to change my terms depending on the client and job. This makes it's very hard to keep everything organized.
- Price- If you do not use all of the Freshbook features, it is a bit expensive for what you get unless you only have a few clients.
- Importing of expenses - When automatically importing expenses, Freshbooks often miscategorized items and often does not fill out the vendor section when I use my Chase accounts.
- Super intuitive interface and ease of actions.
- Integrations with other web services like Gusto help the handoff of tracking of payroll.
- Being a hosted platform, it is simple to share links for reference to my tax service people for access to any numbers.
- Reporting is great as it can break down the P&L and compiling deductions during tax time.
- They recently updated their interface which was one area that needed an update. But overall the areas that were lacking a few years ago (Old XML API, Older interface, poor mobile apps) Have all been address so I really don't have many complaints. If you are someone like me who does not want to become a accounting wizard and simply want to run your business, this was a great solution.
- The user interface is beautiful and very easy to navigate and use.
- Super reliable. Have sent out thousands of invoices and have never had an issue or misplaced email.
- The accounts aging feature is great, gives you a quick snapshot of what invoices are getting old and allows you to manually or automatically send followup notices.
- The accounting side of the software is not as developed as the invoicing and time tracking side.
- If you have a lot of clients or want some of their add-on options, it gets expensive fast.
- The mobile app is good but does not work well for some features
- Ease of navigating throughout the menu
- Chart of accounts (report format and ability to edit accounts)
- Lists (invoices, expenses, etc) sorting and exporting
- Still down into accounts/amounts from a report
- Reader-friendly reporting
- Offers several features such as online payment gateway and cloud-based invoicing.
- It has robust reporting functionalities that enable users to make informed decisions.
- Allows users to transfer their timesheet data to invoice and receive payments quickly.
- The reporting feature of this software is highly demanding because none of its data lines in the report is hyperlinked.
- The software should be more flexible and have more options for the application of late fees.
- It would be better if the process of adding projects was made more smooth to clients.
- By far the number one strength of FreshBooks is customer service - they always immediately pick up (no wait time) and can answer any question within minutes. They are easy to understand, friendly, and always willing to go the extra mile to help out. This is one of those rare situations where it is actually easier to pick up the phone then trying to search through FAQs for the answer.
- In general, the interface is easy to use. Everything is fairly easy to find and straightforward.
- The Recent Activity feed on the left side of your browser window is great- at any given time you can see a snapshot of any activity within your account, whether that may be changes you made yourself, another team member made, or even if a client logged in to view their invoice.
- While I love the Recent Activity feed on the left, you can only view a certain number of activities. It would be great if there were a view more button to see all recent activity, especially if it's a busy day and a lot is going on.
- While the interface is very easy to use, sometimes you have to click multiple times in order to get to a view you want. It would be great if you could more easily toggle between options within a client (if buttons for recurring, all invoices, the client's profile, etc. were all available for a specific client instead of across the board.)
FreshBooks is our primary invoicing system. As a SaaS and consulting company the majority of our billing is based on recurring contracts, so we looked to FreshBooks as a replacement for manual processing of credit cards. FreshBooks automatically generates invoices according to the client's billing profile, and securely stores the card on file. The late fee/interest system is rudimentary, but does a solid job for what we need.
Invoices, payment notifications, and invoice reminders are emailed automatically.
The Time Tracking feature allows us to log time to projects and have that automatically added to invoices when they recur.
For the first several years we were very happy with FreshBooks, especially as their customer service team was really efficient and friendly. Unfortunately, that's changed a lot over the past few years as FreshBooks has tried to evolve from an invoicing tool into a full accounting system. They have increased prices, limited options, and service has degraded. We're now one competitive feature away from canceling both accounts.
- Recurring invoicing, with a credit card on file.
- Time tracking added to invoices automatically.
- Access to a record of emails sent to the customer.
- The new version does not allow 3rd party payment processors -- only FreshBooks billing via Stripe.
- The new version has higher costs, with some features removed, and no new features that we need.
- FreshBooks seems to have lost their identity and their sense of who their customer is.
- No ability to customize interest/late fees per client or per invoice. Only one structure and a yes/no toggle per client.
FreshBooks might be ok for a new/small company that has minimal billing activity and doesn't want to bother with getting their own merchant services account. For anyone with even moderate volume, though, the processing fees are too high.
- Creates Invoices. Invoice creation is easy and fast.
- Manages Client Info. It's like a mini CRM that stores client contact data and invoice history.
- Accepts payments online. Integrates seamlessly with our payment provider to accept credit cards online.
- There are two version of FreshBooks. The newer ones do some things well that the classic version doesn't, for example, allow individual payment terms rather than global payment terms. But the newer version does not do everything that the classic version does.
- Handles manual and auto-charged payments as well as dunning (expired cards, declined charges, etc.)
- Expense tracking is a breeze, especially with recurring expenses.
- Financial reports can be generated at the click of a button.
- Customer support is best in the industry (or any industry in my opinion). Phone support is included and they pick up on the first ring every time.
- New version lacks functionality from the old version that our company uses.
- Mobile app lacks some desired functionality.
- Customer portal could use some improvements.
FreshBooks is a no brainer for those who want to combine client billing, client management, expense tracking, and reporting into one service/app.
If you're tired of paid services that don't respond to your phone calls or emails, FreshBooks will be a breath of fresh air.
One limitation is that it does not allow multiple accounts for one client so in case we have to send multiple invoices to different cost units within the same client, we have to create separate clients.
But overall, it is simple and easy software to handle.
They do not have chat support rather a call-in support or email support which is great and very responsive.
- It is easy to create the clients and invoices.
- It is easy to see the status of each invoice, along with the aging on each invoice.
- It creates easy to use reports that can be shared if required.
- They must establish One client many departments concept.
- They do not allow fixed amount discounts. The only allow percentage discounts.
- There should be notifications when the reminders are sent.
- Have a hourly rate for our business.
- Have focus on our customers and our projects, not the administrative department.
- Get our business cost on control, because we already work on a budget.
- Take our invoices out as fast as our products are done.
- Maybe, manual entry should be easier
- Editing different rates for services on continuous invoices is very complicated.
- The system doesn't keep an automatic numeration for the invoices, so it is necessary to keep it manually.
- Collecting Payments
- Cashflow reports
- Accounting Automation
- Provides user-friendly, beautiful invoices
- Built-in features like invoice reminders, recurring invoices, deposits, and automatic late fees applied
- Multiple payment options — including Stripe (which is a must-have for my industry)
- You can't schedule invoices to be sent out at specific times which is something I really wish it did. Not quite the same as a recurring invoice.
- I wish I could attach the agreement that dictates the payment terms. An integration with DocuSign, for example, would be awesome.
If you track time, it's also incredibly useful. I don't track time myself, but if you do, there's an entire suite of features dedicated to time tracking that proves to be quite useful!
- Invoicing - easy to create, customize, and manage. A great feature is the auto-pay for recurring payments with clients.
- Estimates - these professional looking estimates with prompts has helped us take our estimates and timelines with clients to a new level and also being able to keep track of them and have the client sign them.
- Time Tracking - this feature has helped keep track of countless hours working on projects and then easily adding that time to current or new invoices with Freshbooks recognizing what client it may be for and to add the time to the invoice easily.
- The only area I have noticed that FB needs improvement is how it links up with bank accounts and keeps track of spending. It seems to be flawed in a few ways where it will double outgoing transactions sometimes and also when we move money from one account to another it shows it as spending and not just moving money and that is something we have to account for with Taxes each year.
- FreshBooks is ideal for those in some type of a service business where invoicing is critical to quickly being paid.
- FreshBooks easily allows us to track our expenses against ongoing projects.
- FreshBooks allows us to easily use documents in our business.
- Sometimes FreshBooks tries to do "too much." Stick with your core mission.
- Well Suited - those in a service industry, like ours in management consulting. This is its sweet spot and it accomplishes its tasks VERY WELL.
- Less Suited - companies with inventory and shipping and receiving.
- FreshBooks gives independent businesses a very thoughtful and instinctive UI that can be used for a wide range of functions, most outstandingly charging, and invoicing. User are offered a variety of templates to browse while making invoices, taking into consideration snappy, yet proficient looking records.
- FreshBooks also gives you tools for group collaboration, monitoring, and operations, which can all be effortlessly explored and set up to build your business's capacity to increase communication, send regular updates, submit recommendations, and secure jobs without hardly lifting a finger.
- As a bookkeeping bundle, FreshBooks offers some crucial accounting and bookkeeping functions, and has some banking functions. It lets you see online credit card charges, and alerts you via their fully-functional app.
- FreshBooks gives amazing support from the beginning. Users can get started with a detailed and easy-to-follow startup guide, while their well-prepared staff is always available to give clients answers to any questions or issues they may experience. FreshBooks is extremely proud of their client support and their consumer loyalty rating, and you can really see that when you talk with one of their agents.
- Its estimates, goal setting, and detailing highlights can be better. One user also discovered bugs in FreshBooks' email click-throughs and computerized costs which he did not like. Aside from these minor glitches, however, FreshBooks is a first class bookkeeping software.
- Rather than representatives focusing on one complete ticket, FreshBooks adds an additional task where you need to utilize a clock and ensure that they get the job done. The representatives are generally paid less every day regardless of whether they were available or online inside their given planned hours. Pay isn't credited right away and will be on pending for 3 days regardless of whether it was at that point affirmed by the Manager.
- VERY easy to set up and manage.
- Provides great info in an easy-to-read and navigate manner.
- Multiple credit card processing options (as well as other payment options).
- Customer support is outstanding.
- The bid/estimate area is pretty light. It would be nice to be able to do more editing (including adding images etc) to help make it look better.
- We don't really use it but I think the time tracking function is also pretty basic.
- Notification of late bills.
- Quick invoicing.
- Easy to use.
- Has more features than what I need, but I just don't worry about it.
- I did not like the new version. Once I upgraded, I went back to the classic version...it was easier and had a few features I didn't like.
- Would like to be able to export users out of FreshBooks. I don't think you can do that right now.