https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/DH/Ya/UHCT6ZK0V3PI.GIFA fresh review of Freshbooks!We have been using Freshbooks for invoicing our customers since last three years. It is pretty seamless with capabilities to send estimates to our customers. Creating a duplicate invoice from an invoice is a nice feature for recurring invoices. It also allows users to set automatic reminders for overdue invoices. Since there is no notification if and when the reminders are sent, we prefer sending manual reminders over automatic reminders. It allows the clients/customers to pay the invoices via the credit card and in return, it charges a fee for each transaction. One limitation is that it does not allow multiple accounts for one client so in case we have to send multiple invoices to different cost units within the same client, we have to create separate clients. But overall, it is simple and easy software to handle. They do not have chat support rather a call-in support or email support which is great and very responsive.,It is easy to create the clients and invoices. It is easy to see the status of each invoice, along with the aging on each invoice. It creates easy to use reports that can be shared if required.,They must establish One client many departments concept. They do not allow fixed amount discounts. The only allow percentage discounts. There should be notifications when the reminders are sent.,8,Easy to use by even not so savvy tech and accounting savvy team members The pricing of the software is appropriate.,QuickBooks Online, Zoho Invoice,8,Yes,Reports Invoices,8Opportunity for small business to grow at a global scaleFreshBooks is being used for us as technical department of our organization, in order to get related with the administrative department of our organization, where the match of an hour of work and invoice relations are made. The whole process began with a really very comprehensive diagram of our business, geographical data and business support, where all the cost in the administrative and office area are involved in our hourly rate in every project we do. It is being used in the whole organization because we use the software in order to know our hourly rate, but also our business daily costs, so all the departments in our business are tied in with the software, because we have the same goal, going forward.,Have a hourly rate for our business. Have focus on our customers and our projects, not the administrative department. Get our business cost on control, because we already work on a budget. Take our invoices out as fast as our products are done.,Maybe, manual entry should be easier Editing different rates for services on continuous invoices is very complicated. The system doesn't keep an automatic numeration for the invoices, so it is necessary to keep it manually.,9,The positive impact of FreshBooks is the opportunity to focus on the customer needs. A positive impact is to give every person on the staff a certain goal to be reflected in the software. Another positive impact is the way work is really attending to the details for our goal, building geographical data and business support.,QlikView,Google Analytics, Panda Security for Desktops, Microsoft AccessMy clients love paying me via Freshbooks. But I hate using it for accounting.We use it to invoice our clients, collect payments, and get accounts receivable reports. Billing is super simple, and our clients really like how easy it is to pay us, which is why we won't switch our billing to Quickbooks Online. Our whole organization uses this software currently and has for a while now.,Invoicing Collecting Payments Reporting,Accounting Expenses Cashflow reports Accounting Automation,4,Not having good accounting functionality and reporting, People can pay me quickly and easily.,QuickBooks Online and Xero,Databox, ProposifyA beautiful, stunning way to invoice your clientsFreshBooks is how I invoice all of my clients for DemandMaven. DemandMaven is a small consulting firm that caters to early-stage startups and SaaS companies. The main business problem it addresses is very simple: provide beautiful, user-friendly invoices to my clients and allow them to easily pay for the services I provide them! Typical invoicing software can be extremely clunky and archaic-looking. I wanted something beautiful that would represent my brand in a way I could be proud of.,Provides user-friendly, beautiful invoices Built-in features like invoice reminders, recurring invoices, deposits, and automatic late fees applied Multiple payment options — including Stripe (which is a must-have for my industry),You can't schedule invoices to be sent out at specific times which is something I really wish it did. Not quite the same as a recurring invoice. I wish I could attach the agreement that dictates the payment terms. An integration with DocuSign, for example, would be awesome.,10,The amount of time I save billing clients is substantial. It takes minutes to create an invoice — something I can't say for other platforms. I also always know which accounts are pending payment and can see the total amount that is due and when. Makes it very easy for automated follow-up and reminders.,Xero,Xero, DocuSign, Zoom, Ahrefs Site ExplorerFreshBooks is absolutely the way to goOur entire organization, although small (5 people) uses FreshBooks for our estimates, invoicing, time tracking and payment processing. FreshBooks has been an integral part of our company for the past 5 years - when QuickBooks didn't want to accept our new business to use it's platform we began looking into other options. Ever since that moment we have been a fan and used FreshBooks every day since.,Invoicing - easy to create, customize, and manage. A great feature is the auto-pay for recurring payments with clients. Estimates - these professional looking estimates with prompts has helped us take our estimates and timelines with clients to a new level and also being able to keep track of them and have the client sign them. Time Tracking - this feature has helped keep track of countless hours working on projects and then easily adding that time to current or new invoices with Freshbooks recognizing what client it may be for and to add the time to the invoice easily.,The only area I have noticed that FB needs improvement is how it links up with bank accounts and keeps track of spending. It seems to be flawed in a few ways where it will double outgoing transactions sometimes and also when we move money from one account to another it shows it as spending and not just moving money and that is something we have to account for with Taxes each year.,10,FreshBooks has allowed us to keep track of recurring client invoices and payments saving us time and money. Time tracking has made sure we are correct with all timed projects as well as receiving the payments for it. Time - saved us so much time being able to easily and effectively create estimates and invoices.,QuickBooks Online and PayPal Payments,Adobe Photoshop, Slack, Redbooth
Windows, Mac
FreshBooks

FreshBooks Reviews

FreshBooks
Top Rated Award
Filter 122 vetted FreshBooks reviews and ratings
Soneeka Arora profile photo
November 12, 2018

"A fresh review of Freshbooks!"

But overall, it is simple and easy software to handle.
  • It is easy to create the clients and invoices.
  • It is easy to see the status of each invoice, along with the aging on each invoice.
  • It creates easy to use reports that can be shared if required.
  • They must establish One client many departments concept.
  • They do not allow fixed amount discounts. The only allow percentage discounts.
  • There should be notifications when the reminders are sent.
We used Freshbooks as an alternate source of invoicing (we use Stripe for recurring billing) and it works well in this setup. It is not meant for invoicing for Software-as-a-Service products.
Read Soneeka Arora's full review
Yemsi Pino profile photo
November 05, 2018

FreshBooks Review: "Opportunity for small business to grow at a global scale"

• Have a hourly rate for our business.
  • Have focus on our customers and our projects, not the administrative department.
  • Get our business cost on control, because we already work on a budget.
  • Take our invoices out as fast as our products are done.
  • Maybe, manual entry should be easier
  • Editing different rates for services on continuous invoices is very complicated.
  • The system doesn't keep an automatic numeration for the invoices, so it is necessary to keep it manually.
FreshBooks is suitable for all business in a global scale, I can make geographical data work for customers in other countries, and this system allows me to have only one database to give support and send work and invoices with the same language. The software is well suited in every scenario I've been working with. If we have some changes to the hourly rate to daily rate in consecutive invoices it's very difficult to present an invoice, so it's less appropriate, but not impossible.
Read Yemsi Pino's full review
Amara Omoregie profile photo
October 29, 2018

Review: "My clients love paying me via Freshbooks. But I hate using it for accounting."

We use it to invoice our clients, collect payments, and get accounts receivable reports. Billing is super simple, and our clients really like how easy it is to pay us, which is why we won't switch our billing to QuickBooks Online. Our whole organization uses this software currently and has for a while now.
  • Invoicing
  • Collecting Payments
  • Reporting
  • Accounting
  • Expenses
  • Cashflow reports
  • Accounting Automation
I really like it, but now that the new FreshBooks doesn't accept PayPal payments, I'm not a huge fan and will look for other solutions. The majority of my clients pay me via PayPal so this is a problem. Not a huge fan of PayPal not being an option. Also, accounting with FreshBooks isn't the best. QuickBooks is much better.
Read Amara Omoregie's full review
Asia Matos profile photo
October 29, 2018

FreshBooks Review: "A beautiful, stunning way to invoice your clients"

• Provides user-friendly, beautiful invoices
  • Built-in features like invoice reminders, recurring invoices, deposits, and automatic late fees applied
  • Multiple payment options — including Stripe (which is a must-have for my industry)
  • You can't schedule invoices to be sent out at specific times which is something I really wish it did. Not quite the same as a recurring invoice.
  • I wish I could attach the agreement that dictates the payment terms. An integration with DocuSign, for example, would be awesome.
FreshBooks is perfect for the solopreneur, freelancer, consultant, and small agency. I recommend it for pretty much everyone who fits this category since it makes it so easy to invoice and keep track of payments from clients.

If you track time, it's also incredibly useful. I don't track time myself, but if you do, there's an entire suite of features dedicated to time tracking that proves to be quite useful!
Read Asia Matos's full review
Brandon Loyche profile photo
October 22, 2018

User Review: "FreshBooks is absolutely the way to go"

• Invoicing - easy to create, customize, and manage. A great feature is the auto-pay for recurring payments with clients.
  • Estimates - these professional looking estimates with prompts has helped us take our estimates and timelines with clients to a new level and also being able to keep track of them and have the client sign them.
  • Time Tracking - this feature has helped keep track of countless hours working on projects and then easily adding that time to current or new invoices with Freshbooks recognizing what client it may be for and to add the time to the invoice easily.
  • The only area I have noticed that FB needs improvement is how it links up with bank accounts and keeps track of spending. It seems to be flawed in a few ways where it will double outgoing transactions sometimes and also when we move money from one account to another it shows it as spending and not just moving money and that is something we have to account for with Taxes each year.
Great for any size business. Started out using it as a freelancer and it has grown to to function within our small company of 5 people now and 30+ clients
Read Brandon Loyche's full review
David Kaufer profile photo
August 13, 2018

User Review: "Forever a FreshBooks Fan!"

We use FreshBooks in our marketing agency to invoice clients and to track accounts receivable. We've also used it a bit for some small project bids.
  • VERY easy to set up and manage.
  • Provides great info in an easy-to-read and navigate manner.
  • Multiple credit card processing options (as well as other payment options).
  • Customer support is outstanding.
  • The bid/estimate area is pretty light. It would be nice to be able to do more editing (including adding images etc) to help make it look better.
  • We don't really use it but I think the time tracking function is also pretty basic.
I've recommended FreshBooks to other small business/agency owners who needed an easy way to invoice clients/customers (and to track everything). It's well-suited for nearly every small-medium sized business.
Read David Kaufer's full review
Bart Caylor profile photo
August 02, 2018

User Review: "Freshbooks is a Cozy Blanket"

I have been very pleased with FreshBooks. It is a simple and robust solution. I admit I don't use all of the features, but I have it integrated through Zapier to my proposal software (Proposify) so that I can generate quick invoices upon approval. I also like that it keeps notifications going when bills are late.
  • Notification of late bills.
  • Quick invoicing.
  • Easy to use.
  • Has more features than what I need, but I just don't worry about it.
  • I did not like the new version. Once I upgraded, I went back to the classic version...it was easier and had a few features I didn't like.
  • Would like to be able to export users out of FreshBooks. I don't think you can do that right now.
Small business...solo consultants. I do have QuickBooks Online, but use FreshBooks for all of my invoicing.
Read Bart Caylor's full review
Tim Vahsholtz profile photo
June 25, 2018

FreshBooks Review: "A great invoicing tool for the small business!"

I use FreshBooks for all my billing. Being a small business, it helps to have automated invoicing and reminders for some of our clients. FreshBooks also provides auto payments if our clients prefer.

One main reason I went with FreshBooks is the fact that it links up with Fundbox. Our clients are good about paying (usually), but not knowing exactly when checks arrive can be strenuous on small business. By linking up w/Fundbox, we can use that service to keep cash flow going in case of a tardy payment.
  • FreshBooks is great for creating, sending and/or auto charging for invoices you set up in advance. Several of my clients are on monthly service packages, and it's great to save time by having the invoices ready to go. Most of our clients pay via check, so we only have FreshBooks create the invoices. Plus, we can double check that there are no additional charges that need to be added before the invoice goes out.
  • FreshBooks has a pretty robust auto email section. New invoice emails, payment reminders, and notifications of late fees are all part of this feature. Plus, if you learn the shortcodes, you can customize these emails.
  • FreshBooks interfaces with Fundbox, an important tool for a small business of our size.
  • One big area for improvement is being able to automatically carry over a past due balance to a new invoice. If a client is late with their payment, you have to either add the previous balance to the new invoice or have two invoices sitting out there, which can be confusing for the client. If the new invoice has the previous balance included with it, you must zero out the previous month invoice, or your FreshBooks will indicate you have more money owed than you actually do. (This is an accounting issue).
  • It would be nice if FreshBooks would interface with Quicken and or QuickBooks. (I'm not certain that it doesn't, but don't believe it does.
For small businesses, this is a really great invoicing program. We used PayPal to manually send invoices before, and FreshBooks helped to automate a significant portion of the process. Plus, the interface with Fundbox is quite helpful. Once you send an invoice, it shows up in Fundbox, and you can borrow against that invoice. This helps with positive cash flow.
Read Tim Vahsholtz's full review
Joshua Burcham profile photo
June 18, 2018

User Review: "FreshBooks makes it all so easy"

I used FreshBooks to track my time, invoice clients, and track payments. FreshBooks makes it very easy for me to set up new projects and track the amount of time I spent working on them. As a freelancer, I don't want to send a lot of time doing non-billable work. FreshBooks almost makes all of the project tracking stuff happen "in the background" with very little effort.
  • It makes sending invoices for billable time super easy. You can generate an invoice with a detailed description of each time entry in just a few seconds.
  • The user interface is great. It makes the normally tedious tasks associated with time tracking and invoicing seem easy.
  • Reporting is easy. It's great to be able to see quickly which clients are slow to pay, what clients have I spent the most time this month/quarter/year working with, etc.
  • Sometimes I wish there was more flexibility with the options: applying late payments, the details that show up in the reports. I suppose being able to customize things adds to complexity... so it's a trade-off.
  • There aren't enough accounting reports to use this as a stand-alone accounting solution. I paired it with QuickBooks Online.
  • It's not a problem for me, but they don't support many currencies.
FreshBooks is great for small businesses that need an easy, simple solution to track time and invoice clients. If you work with simple project rates and hourly rates that don't get too complicated it should work great. For businesses that need complex financial reporting, you'll either have to use an additional solution that integrates with FreshBooks or look for a different solution altogether.
Read Joshua Burcham's full review
Kristina Kadykeeva profile photo
October 01, 2018

Review: "FreshBooks was a snappy and simple change"

I used to receive and give invoices using Excel and Word. It required a lot of time for me to do this. I wound up procrastinating a couple of times in getting invoices out, which led me to get paid more slowly. Utilizing FreshBooks has facilitated this process for me, so I am ready to make and send invoices significantly faster. Likewise, the invoices I send now are extremely professional looking, and being able to track my customer's progress on the invoices spares me from doing as much follow up with them to get paid.
  • FreshBooks gives independent businesses a very thoughtful and instinctive UI that can be used for a wide range of functions, most outstandingly charging, and invoicing. User are offered a variety of templates to browse while making invoices, taking into consideration snappy, yet proficient looking records.
  • FreshBooks also gives you tools for group collaboration, monitoring, and operations, which can all be effortlessly explored and set up to build your business's capacity to increase communication, send regular updates, submit recommendations, and secure jobs without hardly lifting a finger.
  • As a bookkeeping bundle, FreshBooks offers some crucial accounting and bookkeeping functions, and has some banking functions. It lets you see online credit card charges, and alerts you via their fully-functional app.
  • FreshBooks gives amazing support from the beginning. Users can get started with a detailed and easy-to-follow startup guide, while their well-prepared staff is always available to give clients answers to any questions or issues they may experience. FreshBooks is extremely proud of their client support and their consumer loyalty rating, and you can really see that when you talk with one of their agents.
  • Its estimates, goal setting, and detailing highlights can be better. One user also discovered bugs in FreshBooks' email click-throughs and computerized costs which he did not like. Aside from these minor glitches, however, FreshBooks is a first class bookkeeping software.
  • Rather than representatives focusing on one complete ticket, FreshBooks adds an additional task where you need to utilize a clock and ensure that they get the job done. The representatives are generally paid less every day regardless of whether they were available or online inside their given planned hours. Pay isn't credited right away and will be on pending for 3 days regardless of whether it was at that point affirmed by the Manager.
If you need to use Paypal to acknowledge installments, then the new form of Freshbooks won't suit you. If not, though, I very, truly exceedingly suggest Freshbooks for anybody requiring a cloud based invoicing, venture time following, and overseeing cost framework. Consultants, small administration organizations working on the web, and offices all will profit extraordinarily. The iPhone application is easy to use to oversee costs and can do most everything you can do on the web application, and is fast and intuitive.
Read Kristina Kadykeeva's full review
October 19, 2018

Review: "FreshBooks is your Fresh, Simple Solution to your online needs."

We use FreshBooks across the whole organization. It quickly solves both invoicing and expense tracking very well.
  • FreshBooks is ideal for those in some type of a service business where invoicing is critical to quickly being paid.
  • FreshBooks easily allows us to track our expenses against ongoing projects.
  • FreshBooks allows us to easily use documents in our business.
  • Sometimes FreshBooks tries to do "too much." Stick with your core mission.
  • Well Suited - those in a service industry, like ours in management consulting. This is its sweet spot and it accomplishes its tasks VERY WELL.
  • Less Suited - companies with inventory and shipping and receiving.
Ashish Parihar profile photo
June 03, 2018

Review: "FreshBooks, the best and fresh accounting application for freelancers"

I am a freelancer and I have used FreshBooks for more than 4 years. Before that I was creating invoices manually and sending them to clients through my personal email. Well... I really got the burden off my head when I started using FreshBooks. I can create invoices, maintain clients' profile, perform billing easily on it and send them to the client I want. Moreover it keeps all history and reports at one place which is very useful for me.
  • Very good looking user interface. Clean and clear. It really looks like a fresh accounting book in the real world.
  • Easy to use interface, easy to find all features at a same place. I can create invoices in seconds and send to the clients.
  • It is really a great application for small business owners or freelancers like me. I can concentrate on other things while FreshBooks do all accounting for me, easing that burden off my shoulders.
  • It should have a free version which can be used for unlimited time not just 30 days. Although the company can limit the number of clients in them but the free version should always be free.
  • Need more integration features and should be able to integrate with other third party apps and payroll tools for enhancing the functionality. But I look forward to the next updates in FreshBooks.
  • Need an essential feature which is Time Tracking. Hope to get it soon!
Very good for small businesses and freelancers. When your business needs more and more customization and bulk accounting, I think FreshBooks might not be a good fit but still manageable.
Read Ashish Parihar's full review
Sandra Ikegwuonu profile photo
January 18, 2018

FreshBooks Review: "Saves us a lot in manual work."

We use Freshbooks as our go-to book-keeping tool in our branch of my organization. We basically use this tool for invoicing our clients and customers alike, calculating project estimates, tracking amount of time spent on projects, and also as a platform to accept payments from selected customers and clients.
  • Invoicing - FreshBooks basically ensures our accountants spend less time on invoices via its automated invoicing system, which sends invoices to our customers and clients alike and also send them regular reminders for them to pay up their bills.
  • Collecting business insights - FreshBooks enable our company analysts measure our business performances via data reports provided by FreshBooks' intuitive dashboard. Allowing us do a comparative analysis of key business metrics of a current month against past months and determine if the business is growing.
  • Expense tracker - We have recently embraced FreshBooks as an expense tracker for teams at our company branch. Thusfar, FreshBooks has performed very well, making our expense management a perfect operation; ensuring teams do not exceed their planned budget and also eliminating the need for tracking expenses on excel spreadsheets.
  • Multi currency support - FreshBooks currently doesn't enable us enter our financial transactions in our local currency. Thus to use FreshBooks, we enter our financials in basic digits which can sometime be very confusing.
  • Templates - FreshBooks invoice templates are currently limited to what is provided in the tool by default. It would be nice to have the ability to customize our own invoice to meet our demands.
FreshBooks is the perfect tool for businesses who have hundreds of clients and customers whom they invoice regularly. It removes the need to manually send invoices to clients and customers, by streamlining inputted information to create an automated invoicing system which keeps clients and customers up to date with their bills.

It is also a great tool for managing expenses, especially for companies with different teams working on varying projects, ensuring these teams do not exceed the budget ceiling.
Read Sandra Ikegwuonu's full review
Julio A Rivas profile photo
April 13, 2018

FreshBooks Review: "Great software to expand my business"

The software is being used for my whole organization as a base to set up all the products and address every clients needs. We focus our products on the needs of our clients, and we are looking for international business, so this app allows us to keep on the market and expose ourselves on other markets. The main business problems we address are daily project appearance, proposals, configuration, leads, tracking, invoice and collect by any means. The most important thing is the control of expenses and the
ability to make fixed payments, which allows us to focus on our work.
  • Time tracking
  • Quick invoicing
  • Easy navigation
  • Accepts all payment methods
  • Invoice is manual entry, and has to be automaticly numbered
  • Manual entries are a little time consuming
  • I would like my logo on invoices
The software is well suited for when I have clients with the same type of contract, and in projects where we use one hour rate, but if I have several clients with hourly rates and construction rates, this scenario is less appropriate because every invoice or entry has to be done manually and this is a time consuming process.
Read Julio A Rivas's full review
Abiola Ademosu profile photo
January 08, 2018

User Review: "FreshBooks gets bookkeeping job done."

We use Freshbooks to integrate our accounting and bookkeeping activities across my organization. From invoicing clients to tracking expenditure, tracking projects, setting proposal cost etc., thereby making our day to day activity at work fast, easy and secure.
  • Estimates and proposals: Freshbooks enables us to make a concise estimate on new projects. With just a few clicks we and our client get on the same page, start a project and streamline billing. From the beginning of new projects to the end, Freshbooks gets us covered.
  • Mobility: Freshbooks enables us to keep tabs on our finances even while on the move - courtesy of its mobile app.
  • With the FreshBooks mobile apps, we stay connected with our clients, while also taking care of our accounting from anywhere and everywhere.
  • Financial-report: FreshBooks enable us to measure our business performance. Via its dashboard and reports, we are able to stay in touch with our business performance and growth. Making the job of the accounting department, much more easier.
  • Currency support: Freshbooks doesn't support all currencies. That has been a major hindrance to our using this tool for some of our bookkeeping activity.
  • Credit card payment: As of the moment, Freshbooks doesn't support all credit card providers. They seem to have credit card payments providers, whose cards they accept.
Freshbooks is suited for measuring the performances of a business, allows users accept online payments from their clients; making it faster to close sales. However, Freshbooks is best used for bookkeeping needs as against full-time accounting tasks.
Read Abiola Ademosu's full review
Suyi Harrison Iwalewe profile photo
December 19, 2017

Review: "Freshbooks made our day to day accounting."

We use Freshbooks to manage our startup's finances from day to day basic book-keeping to ticketing, setting reminders and invoicing customers, alongside responding to customer query regarding the invoice we send them.
  • Integration with a third-party application.
  • Time-tracking and invoice booking.
  • Payments.
  • Payments; Freshbooks sometimes doesn't accept certain credit cards.
  • Poor chat and phone support.
  • Subscription can be better.Probably a pay as you use model, as against the monthly, yearly model.
Freshbooks is a top choice for basic book-keeping, making payments, time tracking and basic accounting. However, it is not a full accounting software.
Read Suyi Harrison Iwalewe's full review
Nate Shields profile photo
December 18, 2017

FreshBooks Review: "Great time tracking & invoicing tool for 1099 contractors, free-lancers or independent consultants"

My use case for Freshbooks is simple: track hours worked and expenses incurred for various clients/projects, send invoices to collect payment, track whether payment was received. Freshbooks has made it extremely efficient and simple for me to do all of that, including doing it right from my phone.
  • I love the Freshbooks mobile app. That thing is a huge life saver and time saver for quickly capturing expenses and images of receipts the moment I have a receipt in hand for business expenses, and assigning them to the right project/client with the right expense category. That alone makes Freshbooks worth it for me.
  • I also love the ease of tracking time to various projects/clients and then the ability to quickly and easily create, edit and send invoices.
  • And best of all, for the usage levels I need...it's FREE.
  • I wish there was a way to separate expense reimbursements from revenue in the invoice section. When creating an invoice you can choose whether to send just expenses, or just hours, or both together, but in the outstanding invoice view, there's no indicator of what's revenue vs. what is expense reimbursement. Takes some manual work to figure that out when looking at your invoice list.
If you are self-employed, or a small business and your use cases for billing and invoicing are pretty simple and straightforward, FreshBooks is great. If you are a larger organization and/or have a more complex accounting process, FreshBooks might not be the right fit for what you are looking for.
Read Nate Shields's full review
Chamakhe Maurieni profile photo
December 14, 2017

User Review: "FreshBooks gave us a new life."

Before we adapted FreshBooks as a solution in my organization we had to manually update our books on Microsoft Excel and at the end of the week, or month we had to send an Excel sheet to each of our clients; and also had to add a long email explaining the details of the financials contained on the sent document. It was a lot of stress and used a huge amount of human and financial resources. However, with FreshBooks, we spend less time and resources on keeping our account up to date and sending clients invoices and bills at the end of the week or month because it became a click away. It was also easier for the clients to understand what they were being sent than they did when we did things manually.
  • Work scheduling and client invoicing.
  • Integration with third party programs like MailChimp, Zapier, Toggl.
  • Support ticketing; FreshBooks allows clients to open a support ticket to clarify issues with your team; that's a huge plus with the program.
  • I would appreciate it if FreshBooks can have a pay as you use payment plan instead of the monthly plan it currently runs on.
  • I think FreshBooks can be engineered to favor users across the world. FreshBooks users in non-western countries will have some issues using the program as it is currently mainly geared towards western based users.
If you are a very small startup , FreshBooks will do a whole lot for you and will remove the need for a day to day accountant with your team.
Read Chamakhe Maurieni's full review
Mandy Cramer profile photo
December 13, 2017

"Integrate Your Systems with FreshBooks"

FreshBooks is a really practical tool for invoicing, keeping track of time and expenses, etc... It's a particularly useful tool if you don't already know how to keep your own books.

Another great thing about FreshBooks is that you are able to do a trial which is free, I mean, completely free. You don't have to enter any credit card information, so if you decide it's not for you, you can quit using it. I'll admit I didn't continue using it because I already had a pretty in-depth system in place that worked for me as far as invoicing and keeping track of my hours and expenses, but I would definitely recommend FreshBooks overall to any new business owner.
  • Great Trial
  • Perfect for streamlining your accounting
  • Accept payments from multiple sources
  • Lovely Design
  • Client limits are sometimes a downer.
  • Credit Card fees still cost you when accepting payments via credit card.
  • Lite Services isn't worth the cost.
  • Unable to perfectly maintain my established branding with FreshBooks. Of course I can upload my logo, but it is not entirely consistent with my overall branding.
It is perfect for new business owners or businesses that want to be able to keep their own books. Of course it is still important to check with an accountant, but this can certainly save some time and money.

This is also great for freelancers because you can choose between billing by project or hourly. You can even keep track of how many hours you are working for each project.

I don't think FreshBooks would work as well with a large company because they might have tons of clients or accounts to keep track of. In those situations, it is best if they have their own accountant.
Read Mandy Cramer's full review
Renea Hanks profile photo
December 12, 2017

User Review: "Freshbooks Will Rock Your Socks Off!"

I use Freshbooks to invoice my clients. It is a flawless and easy to use software. The business problems it addresses specifically are:
  • Time
  • Money
  • Energy
I create estimates and then convert them to an invoice which can be paid immediately to start work. It saves money. The pricing plans are very fair and attainable for startups and small business. The energy I used previously to handle time and money is used for more productive things like creating products and services to help my clients.
  • Nomadic. Seriously, if I forgot to send an estimate or an invoice, I can do it right where I am, even on the beach.
  • Organized. The interface is clear, clean and simple. It keeps me very organized.
  • I get paid quicker.
  • Email click through for my clients has been a problem. I have had to resend repeatedly to one client. That is frustrating but has been the one thing I feel needs improvement.
  • I don't completely trust the automated expenses. I still use another application for that.
  • I would like better reporting tools.
Freshbooks is well suited, in my opinion, for small businesses and startups that wish to take control of their business right from their smartphone. Freshbooks is less appropriate for companies that need to track inventory heavily.
Read Renea Hanks's full review
Matthew Robinson profile photo
December 19, 2017

FreshBooks Review: "Great Replacement for Messy Spreadsheets!"

We use Freshbooks to track time against projects for our consulting business. We also use Freshbooks to issue invoices to our clients on a periodic basis. The system is used by our employees and contractors to log their time and provides real-time visibility to time entries that we can provide to our customers on a timely basis.
  • Time Tracking - Simple, Intuitive, Easy to use.
  • Invoicing - Simple, Easy to Understand.
  • Online Payments - Can accept credit cards through multiple providers.
  • Accounting - The reports are very time and invoice centric. There are no easily accessible A/R, A/P type invoices, the data is there but must be manipulated manually.
  • Reporting - This could be stronger, more flexibility vs. the static pre-canned reports.
Businesses which track time against projects are a perfect fit for the tool. The tool allows you to set a budget and employees for projects. You can assign a project rate or varying rates per employee depending on the project arrangement and this works hand in hand with the billing.
Read Matthew Robinson's full review
Nick Jakubowski profile photo
December 13, 2017

Review: "FreshBooks, One place for tracking and invoicing"

We utilize FreshBooks across our entire team in all different departments. We originally used multiple tools to track time for employees, time spent on clients, and invoicing clients. With FreshBooks we are able to do all our tasks in one program. No longer do we need to jump around different tools to get these tasks done, all our tracking is in one place.
  • Building custom invoices for clients. Some white label products are very plain and don't allow for much customization. With FreshBooks we can build custom, well designed invoice templates for our clients.
  • Project time tracking. When working on multiple accounts we need to know how much time has been delegated to specific projects. Employees select which project they are working on and add in notes of what was done. We can see if too much or too little work has been done.
  • Employee time tracking. We work with many freelance and consultants and with FreshBooks we can monitor how much they have worked. Notes can also be added which helps us see what projects and specific things they did for the accounts.
  • The price. Although FreshBooks brings many features into one place there are cheaper, and even free, tools to get the same results.
  • Importing contacts. If you have quite a few client contacts get ready to manually import them into the program.
Are you a project manager and need to monitor time spent on a project or time an employee spends on a project? FreshBooks allows for any employee to be able to track their time and how much time was spent on a project. This way no time is wasted or missed out on.
Read Nick Jakubowski's full review
Jeff Looby, CPA profile photo
December 06, 2017

FreshBooks Review: "Perfect if you have a few (forgetful) clients"

It is used for tracking time and expenses, invoicing said time and expenses and was once used for reporting purposes. Originally, the software was used across the organization but now it is only being used by the employees who insist on design considerations over a robust functionality. The invoices look satisfactory at best.
  • Intuitive user interface
  • Invoices are easy to edit
  • The mobile app provides notifications
  • The projects functionality is good in theory
  • The reporting functionality is poor - behaves more like a ledger than financial reporting tool
  • Transaction fees are very high unless your dollar volumes are very high
  • The estimates tool is nothing more than an excel spreadsheet

FreshBooks is potentially well suited for a freelancer graphic designer who often collaborated with others who were also accessing FreshBooks and had a lot of non-professional customers who highly valued being able to pay online by credit card to the point where one may notice a material uptick in collections.

FreshBooks is not well suited for business owners who have professional, established businesses who prefer to pay by check or ACH - not credit card.

Read Jeff Looby, CPA's full review
Lisa Keyser profile photo
December 05, 2017

Review: "FreshBooks Makes Freelance Billing a Breeze"

I use Freshbooks for invoicing clients for both hourly and project-based work. I can also invite contractors to track and bill hours through Freshbooks, which is helpful when re-billing hours. One of the biggest issues we continually face is late payments. Freshbooks help us manage that problem with automated invoice reminders and late fees.
  • Automated invoicing is one of the best features. Whether we have annual or monthly billing, the invoices are created automatically, cutting down on staff and admin time and manual labor.
  • Ease of payment is also another plus. Allowing clients to pay in a variety of ways means we are able to get our money in the most efficient manner for each client.
  • Time tracking is another Freshbooks feature we use on a daily basis. The monthly calendars that give a snapshot of hours worked is useful as well.
  • The reporting feature leaves a lot to be desired. None of the lines of data in a report are hyperlinked, so when an problem is identified in hours or billing in a report, you have to go back and search for that particular time entry or item, rather than being able to click through from the report.
  • While the late fees are an awesome feature, there should be more flexibility and more options on how and when late fees are applied. For example, picking a 60-day window for late fees means that additional late fees aren't added until 120 days, rather than 90 as I would prefer.
Freshbooks is a great fit for small businesses, entrepreneurs, freelancers, and solopreneurs that invoice on a regular basis. The suite of tools it offers make it a great fit for a freelancer with a few dozen clients, thanks to the ability to create quotes, charge deposits, and create custom projects and tasks with their own individual rates. It would not be as appropriate for a company with a large number of employees, as it does not handle payroll. It's also not true accounting software, either, and can't be a replacement for something like QuickBooks.
Read Lisa Keyser's full review
Hollie McArthur profile photo
June 26, 2017

User Review: "FreshBooks for Beginners"

I have enjoyed the FreshBooks brand and the ease of use. I am trying to run a business and be efficient, and running a fancy complex accounting software is not where my time is best spent. FreshBooks is easy to use, and the customer service is amazing. They are laid back and fun to work with. Even my log-in is fun to look at. They offer a great service that has streamlined how I work and keep the shop open and the bills paid!
  • Fun Branding.
  • Simple to use - for the NON-accountant type.
  • Easy time tracking and project management as well as simple invoicing.
  • Faster mobile app
Small businesses are a match-up with FreshBooks!
Read Hollie McArthur's full review

API for custom integration (15)
6.7
Plug-ins (13)
6.7
Single sign-on capability (1)
Role-based user permissions (26)
Dashboards (36)
Regulations compliance (12)
Self-service portal (3)
Pricing (24)
Order entry (24)
Credit card processing (24)
Cost of goods sold (1)
Branded client dashboards (1)
Configurable alerts (17)
Client template cloning (15)
Single sign-on (17)

About FreshBooks

FreshBooks is an accounting service for small businesses. The solution enables users to send and manage invoices, track billable time and collect online payments. The vendor’s value proposition this that their solution provides a straightforward service that simplifies the billing process.

FreshBooks Features

General Ledger and Configurable Accounting Features
Has featureAccounts payable
Has featureAccounts receivable
Does not have featureCash management
Does not have featureBank reconciliation
Has featureExpense management
Has featureTime tracking
Does not have featureFixed asset management
Does not have featureMulti-currency support
Does not have featureMulti-division support
Has featureRegulations compliance
Does not have featureElectronic tax filing
Does not have featureSelf-service portal
Does not have featureGlobal Financial Support
Does not have featurePrimary and Secondary Ledgers
Does not have featureIntercompany Accounting
Does not have featureLocalizations
Does not have featureJournals and Reconciliations
Does not have featureEnterprise Accounting
Does not have featureConfigurable Accounting
Does not have featureCentralized Rules Framework
Does not have featureStandardized Processes
Inventory Management Features
Does not have featureInventory tracking
Does not have featureAutomatic reordering
Does not have featureLocation management
Does not have featureManufacturing module
Order Management Features
Has featurePricing
Has featureOrder entry
Has featureCredit card processing
Does not have featureCost of goods sold
Does not have featureOrder Orchestration
Does not have featureEnd-to-end order visibility
Does not have featureOrder exception Resolution
Payroll Management Features
Does not have featurePay calculation
Does not have featureBenefit plan administration
Does not have featureDirect deposit files
Does not have featureSalary revision and increment management
Does not have featureReimbursement management
Reporting & Analytics Features
Has featureDashboards
Has featureStandard reports
Does not have featureCustom reports
Customization Features
Has featureAPI for custom integration
Has featurePlug-ins
Security Features
Has featureRole-based user permissions
Does not have featureSingle sign-on capability
Does not have featureMulti-factor authentication
Does not have featureUser-level audit trail
Accounting Firm BPO Features Features
Does not have featureBranded client dashboards
Does not have featureClient data roll-up capabilities
Does not have featureClient data consolidation for benchmarking
Has featureConfigurable alerts
Does not have featureBilling bypass
Has featureClient template cloning
Has featureSingle sign-on
Does not have featureConfigurable client onboarding questions
Does not have featureCross-client workflow management
Does not have featureIndustry-specific versioning
Does not have featureLegacy system data migration

FreshBooks Screenshots

FreshBooks Integrations

FreshBooks Competitors

Lite$15
Plus$25
Premium$50

FreshBooks Customer Size Distribution

Enterprises (> 500 employees)Enterprises (> 500 employees)

FreshBooks Support Options