Coursera is a learning management platform from the company of the same name in Mountain View, California.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/nE/B9/15DBP0TZ4T65.pngCoursera - Wealth of knowledge at your fingertipsCourseera is not used officially by our organization. Its not like we have a contract with them. But me and my colleagues have taken courses from there. I have taken courses from it when I was a student also,Coursera's courses are extremely good. They are well designed and being a full time employee I really appreciate the fact of how well they are designed. They have made sure that everybody gets enough time to complete it. There is an active community which is very helpful. No matter how good a teaching material is, you might always need extra help. This community can answer your question. And also this becomes extremely relevant if you are taking programming courses There are assignments to test your skills. This is a great way to evaluate yourself. At this point if you feel like you haven't understood something, you can always go back and refer the videos. Most of these assignments can be applied to real world problems as well which is great,When I started Coursera was completely free. Being a student it was very helpful for me. I think this free service should be brought back at-least for students.,10,As mentioned, we haven't been using this from an organization perspective. I am sure employees are taking courses from Coursera but I am just not aware of it.,Udemy for Business,Udemy for BusinessExpand your Horizons!At this point I am using Coursera personally to gain insight into different facets of my job, and different job types that I interact with. Because DevOps is a fairly broad field, I feel there is always a possibility to gain more insight into the roles of my colleagues either on the Dev side or on the Ops side. I feel this makes me a more relatable asset and a better go-between for some of the more heads down assets in the company.,Wide variety of courses Free courses available as well as paid Big names in the tech field are providing courses,More free courses Better entry level explainers Continued development of the online classroom environment,8,Helped me get up to speed on Cloud technology I had no experience with Definitely reduced my ramp up time has expanded my professional career,UdacityCoursera, the Best Platform For Online EducationI have taken courses like, "Introduction with MATLAB" for educational reasoning. I was able to learn a lot with the videos the course offers and the homework challenge my critical thinking skills. Cousera also has courses which require payment. But it's definitely affordable and worth [more] than paying over $1000 for a course in college.,The variety of courses to choose from is incredible There are so many different subjects covered, and they are taught by amazing instructors I can decide to learn something like DataScience today and start taking well-prepared courses right away at the comfort of my living room,The problem with Coursera is the moderation in the forums. From the few courses I have taken, many of my classmates were criticized heavily or bullied by other classmates for asking questions in the forum. This hasn’t gotten any attention from the forum moderators which makes the community feel uneasy with helping each other. Most of the courses and the related materials used to be freely available on Coursera. However, with the recent changes, some of the courses are categorized into specific tracks, and they are not free anymore. However I am glad that one can still audit the paid courses, but access to the course materials may be limited. Some courses are only available on specific dates and I have missed out on classes I was really interested in.,9,The greatest benefit of Coursera is access to quality courses on various subjects that you can either browse or dive in deeply. Customizable, flexible and accessible. Helps our department to recommend trainees courses on this website and gain important knowledge. Also, the courses are provided by big-name universities which helps students in their careers Developing and exploring professional skills.,Udemy for Business,Bitrix24, Jive-x, Adobe Captivate, iSpring SuiteCoursera prepares for master's degreeCoursera is one of my top primary sources for online education where I attend classes in Computer Science, math and related disciplines, provided by the best educators from leading universities. I personally consider learning Coursera as a preparatory step for post-graduating to a university and receiving a bachelor's degree rather than getting a job.,MOOC platform Online learning Classic academia education,Course videos sometimes very childish More infographics, graphs,10,Renewed the path to education Increased overall quality of work,edx,Slack, OpenShift, GoToWebinar,1,1,Online education Self-education,Preparing for project, research,Train new employees,10,No,Product Features Vendor Reputation,I will keep my evaluation and selection process the same, I will surely recommend Coursera.,Vendor implemented,No,10,10,Coursera has a mega community that provides support to each other with questions and issues that come up.,Sessions switch Built-in programming environment Free course option,Some advisable tools (eg. spyder editor for python),Yes, but I don't use it,10Coursera has empowered me to grow professionallyCoursera is used mainly by the tech department that is committed to developing the skills of its team.,Coursera has a wide variety of courses, on many topics. It lets the student choose between auditing a course or paying for it and get access to the full content. A lot are now run on a regular basis, usually every month. It was not the case at first.,I once did a course that required me to install a some software on my laptop (a virtual machine to run a database locally). There was little support to do it. I ended up leaving the course because of this. Some tests are graded using peer grading. It works well on average, but sometimes it is hard to get valuable feedback. The quizzes tend to stay the same from one iteration of a course to another. For many of the computer science courses one can find the answer on the internet which damages the value of the certificate.,10,It has helped a lot improving my coding and database design skills which I was then able to use in my job on a daily basis.,edx, codeacademy, dataquest and datacamp
Coursera

Coursera Reviews

Coursera
Filter 43 vetted Coursera reviews and ratings
October 10, 2018

Review: "Coursera - Wealth of knowledge at your fingertips"

• Coursera's courses are extremely good. They are well designed and being a full time employee I really appreciate the fact of how well they are designed.
  • They have made sure that everybody gets enough time to complete it.
  • There is an active community which is very helpful. No matter how good a teaching material is, you might always need extra help. This community can answer your question. And also this becomes extremely relevant if you are taking programming courses
  • There are assignments to test your skills. This is a great way to evaluate yourself. At this point if you feel like you haven't understood something, you can always go back and refer the videos. Most of these assignments can be applied to real world problems as well which is great
  • When I started Coursera was completely free. Being a student it was very helpful for me. I think this free service should be brought back at-least for students.
I am not sure how this will be applicable to business other than the fact that everyone can educate themselves on a particular topic.
Coursera's coverage is great, they have training materials on literally every subject you can imagine. The only one scenario that I think an organization can benefit from this is instead of sending their employees to offline training session which ends up becoming expensive, now everyone can take quality online training sessions.
Donovon Carter profile photo
April 06, 2018

Coursera Review: "Expand your Horizons!"

• Wide variety of courses
  • Free courses available as well as paid
  • Big names in the tech field are providing courses
  • More free courses
  • Better entry level explainers
  • Continued development of the online classroom environment
I think it fits my use case fairly well on a personal level, but could also work extremely well for on-boarding new employees and helping them get up to speed regarding a specific technology or set of technologies. It's also just a good idea to continue to learn to expand yourself, so even if it was just a once a quarter exercise to learn something new, I think it would be helpful.
Read Donovon Carter's full review
Ilia Tarasov profile photo
January 16, 2018

Review: "Coursera, the Best Platform For Online Education"

• The variety of courses to choose from is incredible
  • There are so many different subjects covered, and they are taught by amazing instructors
  • I can decide to learn something like DataScience today and start taking well-prepared courses right away at the comfort of my living room
  • The problem with Coursera is the moderation in the forums. From the few courses I have taken, many of my classmates were criticized heavily or bullied by other classmates for asking questions in the forum. This hasn’t gotten any attention from the forum moderators which makes the community feel uneasy with helping each other.
  • Most of the courses and the related materials used to be freely available on Coursera. However, with the recent changes, some of the courses are categorized into specific tracks, and they are not free anymore. However I am glad that one can still audit the paid courses, but access to the course materials may be limited.
  • Some courses are only available on specific dates and I have missed out on classes I was really interested in.
Coursera is an online learning platform that offers courses taught by the best professors in the world. Hence, investing in learning through Coursera is guaranteed to have high returns. As the Coursera certifications are becoming widely known, if someone is trying to build a career on a specific track, taking Coursera courses for certifications is highly recommended.

It is a great resource if you have an interest in something, but do not want to take a full college course or go back to college. If you want to stay busy and build some skills casually, this is a great alternative to a college. It also helps boost a resume, as it shows you are genuinely interested in learning new things and growing.
Read Ilia Tarasov's full review
Andrew Starodubtsev profile photo
January 31, 2018

User Review: "Coursera prepares for master's degree"

• MOOC platform
  • Online learning
  • Classic academia education
  • Course videos sometimes very childish
  • More infographics, graphs
Coursera, in my opinion, is suitable for everyone who is looking for either work or training in their profession, or for self-education. "Contraindications" for using Coursera probably do not exist because knowledge is always in price and useful. If a person has free time and desire to extend his or her knowledge, then Coursera is one of the best assistants in this matter.
Read Andrew Starodubtsev's full review
January 31, 2018

Review: "Coursera has empowered me to grow professionally"

• Coursera has a wide variety of courses, on many topics.
  • It lets the student choose between auditing a course or paying for it and get access to the full content.
  • A lot are now run on a regular basis, usually every month. It was not the case at first.
  • I once did a course that required me to install a some software on my laptop (a virtual machine to run a database locally). There was little support to do it. I ended up leaving the course because of this.
  • Some tests are graded using peer grading. It works well on average, but sometimes it is hard to get valuable feedback.
  • The quizzes tend to stay the same from one iteration of a course to another. For many of the computer science courses one can find the answer on the internet which damages the value of the certificate.
It is well suited for someone organised and motivated. Watching the videos and completing the assignments is time consuming.

It is valuable if you want to discover about a new topic but also if you want to go in depth into one.
Hiroyuki Nagata profile photo
August 29, 2017

User Review: "Just my feeling when I used Coursera"

In my case, I only have taken some lessons privately through Coursera.
  • Coursera provides very practical and cutting-edge courses. I think it's very useful for many software engineers or architects. I prefer learning in Coursera to getting any other examinations or certificates in order to grasp practical knowledge.
  • Coursera can federate with my LinkedIn profile. You can show your achievement on the internet instead of some real "paper" certificates. It's great and a pleasure.
  • It may be not so advantageous in comparison with other MOOCs, however Coursera provides web testing. It proves your knowledge & skill is real stuff.
  • I feel it's slow to load course pages.
I recommend it for other engineers to take web courses related to their current problems. For example, Algorithm class will be enable newbie developers to write good code.
Read Hiroyuki Nagata's full review
Nic Klopper profile photo
November 08, 2016

Coursera Review: "Continuous professional development"

I am a chartered accountant who started working for a GIS software development/business intelligence company. I have used Coursera to get up to speed with basic concepts of data science and software development in order to better understand the industry in which we operate. I have also done interesting courses for my hobby as musician.

Beyond using Coursera only for my personal development, I have recommended my staff to register for themselves, and have even made it obligatory for junior interns to spend an hour per day on Coursera on courses that I recommend, for them to learn essential life and business skills.
  • Provide courses for users to improve on their professional business skills.
  • Provide courses for users to learn the basics of new skill sets that might be required for their industry.
  • Motivate users to take part in continuous professional development and specialization, a critical skill in today's (and tomorrow's) business environment.
  • Give users exposure to new fields of interest, that they can explore at no risk.
  • None that I can think of. Brilliant service.
I would recommend it to any professional looking to expand the scope of his/her professional competence. In my experience, it is important to have at least a basic understanding of what it is that your employees are doing, especially the possibilities and limitations of what they are capable of. This enables you to better manage them, and push them to their optimal performance. I would also recommend it to staff, to improve on their existing skill-set, and especially recommend the life-skills courses to junior staff.
Read Nic Klopper's full review

Course authoring (1)
Course catalog or library (1)
Player/Portal (1)
Learning content (1)
Progress tracking & certifications (1)
Assignments (1)