Git Reviews

January 23, 2020
Josh Stapp | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

Git is far superior at merging than SVN and I think every other VCS from what I've heard. It's also by far the most common so using it is a no brainer. Since it's written by the one true king Linus himself there can be no question to its design and architecture.
Read Josh Stapp's full review
January 20, 2020
Ray Smith | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

The only other VCS tool I've used in production is SVN. In my option Git is a better option for several reasons. Reason one is simplicity, actions like reviewing changes, committing or stashing changes, and managing multiple feature branches is much easier with Git. The second reason I favor Git is the distributed model Git is built around. I can create and finish my own feature branches without needing someone else to manage the central repository for me. Lastly, Git is lightning fast and works cross platform.
Read Ray Smith's full review
January 18, 2020
Nate Dillon | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

The two main alternatives to Git that I know about are Mercurial and Subversion. I've never used either one, but I know a bit about Subversion. From what I remember, Subversion requires a server. I don't anyone using any other source control other than Git, it seems to have pretty much taken over as the primary source control software.
Read Nate Dillon's full review
November 05, 2019
Balázs Kiss | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

There are not many surviving alternatives for Git (maybe SVN) which in itself is quite meaningful. Git is the best versioning system of all time for programming, period. The difference between a good mathematical tool and sending .zip-s around emailing lists or FTP drives is so high that it's a game-changer.
Read Balázs Kiss's full review
January 29, 2020
Suleman Ahmad | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

We were using the TortoiseSVN previously and it was super slow when we created a new branch or switched between branches. Git makes our life easy. :)
Read Suleman Ahmad's full review
January 18, 2020

Alternatives Considered

Git is more advanced and easier to use. It has a very simple UI and a very efficient command-line tool. Git gives you flexibility and performance for the price, and has greatly increased the complexity of workflow. The overall performance is good. It caches information locally and can access remote servers when needed. You can easily move files from your local repo to Git.
December 19, 2019

Alternatives Considered

What I know is Perforce and CVS, such other repos tend to store deltas while Git stores the snapshots of the stuff as their commit ID's. This is what makes Git much much faster when you are developing on huge repos, since the checkouts are just instantaneous.
October 05, 2019

Alternatives Considered

GIT being a widely used tool have better reliability than its peers and have stands out when we compare it on operational performance criteria.
GIT with speedy and extensive branching capabilities have helped developers to use check in their code quickly and space efficient way.
GIT have the facility to quickly fetch the complete repository on to your local system.
May 04, 2019

Alternatives Considered

It's easy to use and stable. These are the two strengths I see in Git. It does not need a lot of time to learn, but you still need to learn it. It has high stability. Bugs are not often to see in Git, and the community support is wonderful. With the help of GitHub, you can solve any problem.
January 16, 2019
Gabriel Samaroo | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

Git is the best Source Control Management Tool I've used. Every company, team, and project I've worked on professionally either used Git 100%, or was moving to Git, away from the alternatives like SVN. Git has all the features necessary, as well as a very large community of users and supporters.
Read Gabriel Samaroo's full review
February 12, 2019
Cristian Bodnarasec | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

Compared to SVN, Git has a decentralized approach which increases collaboration in the team by enabling the local stored branches. There is no need to be connected to the repository(via an internet link) to work and commit code. Besides the fact that the performance of Git is superior compared to SVN, it also has better support for merging and branches. A plus for SVN would be that it is easier to learn.
Read Cristian Bodnarasec's full review
September 12, 2018
Matthew Mariner | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

I've used both Apache Subversion & Git over the years and have maintained my allegiance to Git. Git is not objectively better than Subversion. It's different.
The key difference is that it is decentralized. With Subversion, you have a problem here: The SVN Repository may be in a location you can't reach (behind a VPN, intranet - etc), you cannot commit. If you want to make a copy of your code, you have to literally copy/paste it. With Git, you do not have this problem. Your local copy is a repository, and you can commit to it and get all benefits of source control. When you regain connectivity to the main repository, you can commit against it. Another thing for consideration is that Git tracks content rather than files. Branches are lightweight and merging is easy, and I mean really easy.
It's distributed, basically every repository is a branch. It's much easier to develop concurrently and collaboratively than with Subversion, in my opinion. It also makes offline development possible. It doesn't impose any workflow, as seen on the above linked website, there are many workflows possible with Git. A Subversion-style workflow is easily mimicked.
Read Matthew Mariner's full review
December 17, 2018
Jakub Wilk | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

Primarily we chose Mercurial, but our customers from abroad choose Git and recommended us to use it within a project that we are doing with them. Git for us is very easy way to contribute to these projects. But from the other side we see that more and more projects and programmers are using Git so maybe it will became our main repository soon.
Read Jakub Wilk's full review
June 07, 2018
Joshua Weaver | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

Git is pretty much the main choice today when choosing a source control system. There are still others out there like Subversion and Mercurial, however I have not evaluated these as they are older than Git and I tend to try to stay on the leading edge of what is in use for the web.
Read Joshua Weaver's full review
March 15, 2018
David Petrie | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

After using Subversion previously for a number of years, Git comes across as the new and improved source control approach. Git seems very suited to working with Agile:- branches can be created easily, allowing multiple developers to switch to them quickly, and having local repositories makes working remotely (off the network) very handy! When compared to Subversion we tended to work on the trunk all the time - which could cause Jenkins builds to break, unwanted code on the trunk, etc - with Git we haven't seen this happening.
Read David Petrie's full review
March 01, 2018
Christy Herron | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

I've read about other solutions, but I haven't tried any as I decided that I don't need any features which they offer above Git . For instance, I usually just write my code in text files for languages such as Heroku and Java, so I don't need features which are IDE specific (other than xCode perhaps).
Read Christy Herron's full review
April 20, 2018
Miguelangel Nuñez | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

Git is a distributed version control system. There is more flexibility to work with a bigger team. You can modify the same file and later merge all changes into a single file.
Read Miguelangel Nuñez's full review
December 14, 2017
Rene Enriquez | TrustRadius Reviewer

• svn and Mercurial
Those products work well with small teams but when you have a large company with a huge group of developers working they introduce complexity at the moment of keeping an eye on the code and deal with versioning stuff. Every single tool nowadays offers integration with Git which is worth it and should be kept in mind at the moment of choosing a CVS.
Read Rene Enriquez's full review
March 07, 2018
Benjamin Hale | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

While my experience is limited on Microsoft Team Foundation Server, my understanding is that it works only for windows development work. This leaves out developers of alternative languages. Since git allows any code to be placed in it (you could even use it to back up plain text documents), this seems to be a good solution for most. Although, if you are using Microsoft development tools, Foundation server is probably the way to go.
Read Benjamin Hale's full review
September 29, 2017
Ben McClure | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

Git is my favorite among all of the version control systems out there. It follows the Linux software philosophy of being built by many loosely coupled and small components that do one thing well. It's incredibly open, and its adoption in the open source community seems to be leaps and bounds above others (mostly thanks to GitHub).
Read Ben McClure's full review
February 04, 2019

Alternatives Considered

I do not have much experience with other version control tools. Git is highly used everywhere and it is hard to find a development team that isn't using it. One thing I know is that with Git each developer has their own copy of a repository so they could technically work offline whereas with other tools that is not the case.
December 17, 2018

Alternatives Considered

Git is by far the best version control system out there. It's open source, free, and fast. No other version control system I've ever used has had all three features.
December 14, 2018

Alternatives Considered

For us, we use both Git and GitHub so they were a package. I suppose you could use Git with another VCS/hosting service to track changes if it fit well enough, but for us we just went with design out of the box. We pay for the GitHub private repository for the extra security.

What is Git?