OutSystems Reviews

Do you work for this company?

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

João Santos profile photo
OutSystems accelerates the development of mobile apps and web applications, which helps us to present a product to our clients in a very fast way. We develop all types of applications - B2B and B2C.
  • Fast development
  • Low code
  • Many integrations
  • No easy implementations out of the box
  • Too much time publication between environments
  1. Good to implement with CRM and ERP, like SAP
  2. Websites, mobile applications
Read João Santos's full review
Carlos Piedade profile photo
September 19, 2017

OutSystems RAD review

Currently, we are using OutSystems in big insurance companies in order to help them with improving their online sales capabilities.
  • Easy to learn and gain capabilities
  • Time to market
  • Provide more information regarding good practices on the training webinars
  • Build more forge components for facilitating the developers work
It's an extremely good software to provide good time to market solutions. Also, it's easy to learn and quite motivating.
Read Carlos Piedade's full review
Steven Cabaca profile photo
We have many applications in OutSystems across the whole organization. We are currently migrating many of the "old software" to OutSystems. We use OutSystems to create business workflows and to complement many other technologies.
  • Fast delivery time
  • Easy to upgrade your applications and keep up with the business
  • Easy to develop
  • I believe OutSystems is already addressing them but one of them was mobile
  • I would like to change variables in runtime when using the debug
So far I have found OutSystems to be suitable for everything.
Read Steven Cabaca's full review
Mikkel Thormod profile photo
We are developing mobile apps for HR internally in order to reduce stress-related issues (a combination of websites and apps).
  • Visual development
  • Seamless deployment
  • Fast integration to external systems
  • Licensing is too complicated
  • Availability of resources in the nordic countries
Business applications
Integrating a lot of internal systems into a new easier workflow
Read Mikkel Thormod's full review
Tushar Joshi profile photo
We at Schneider have chosen OutSystems as our most preferred platform for custom development of large-scale enterprise applications. It is used to develop global, regional, local applications on the web as well as mobile. We were on the lookout for an enterprise-grade platform that can help us govern our IT landscape better and also reduce the time to market the applications.
  • Rapid application development
  • Ease of integration
  • Easy publishing
  • Debugging
  • Mobile capabilities
  1. Migrating legacy platforms (like Lotus Notes in our case)
  2. Web and mobile application needs to be deployed as a single solution
Read Tushar Joshi's full review
João Nobre profile photo
OutSystems is used across the organization. We use OutSystems for internal projects and to external clients.
  • Allows us to create Web and Mobile apps really fast.
  • The TrueChange validation engine that allows us to almost instantly correct an error.
  • Integrating with (a lot of) external systems is easy.
  • SOAP integration.
  • Mobile page Lifecycle is not easy to understand
It is suitable for big companies Web and Mobile Apps. It s not suitable for small or even medium size companies.
Read João Nobre's full review
Vítor Rosário profile photo
September 18, 2017

OutSytems P10

OutSystems is mainly used on our customer premises, helping them in their day-to-day procedures.
  • fast to develop
  • easy to deploy
  • version control through product lifetime
  • Display mobile app generations errors in a more appropriate way
Developing small apps for people to use in day-to-day work.
Read Vítor Rosário's full review
Patrick Baanvinger profile photo

I am writing this as a developer who works daily with the OutSystems Platform as a business. The reason to write this review is the request from OutSystems, combined with the positive [experience] and the belief I have in it. Coming from all kinds of programming languages and a love for c-languages, convincing me to use it was not easy. But the advantages of using it are great - to be stuck in the extreme coding team :)

We use OutSystems as THE tool to implement solutions for our clients. It enables us to build solutions way faster and with more control. OutSystems delivers a complete software development platform. From development to production, it is all contained within the platform, enabling a fluent transition across the complete development cycle.

One major advantage is the model based development, which enables us to control the quality and versioning.

Sounds like an exotic software platform? It is not. It is just creating Microsoft.NET/ASP.Net/Java libraries and maintaining the Microsoft SQL Server/Oracle Server and webserver.

• Generate software based on a model instead of coding.
  • Great control on the development cycle (Development/Testing/Acceptance/Production) using Lifetime for deployment.
  • All based on industry standards like Java/.Net/MS SQL Server/Oracle (so no vendor lock on the results).
  • Business Processing Engine.
  • The platform controls all the parts. While great for development and overall maintenance, it could lead to discussions with your DBA (who has to trust the platform). As a developer I love the platform, as a DBA I would like more control.
  • By making software development model driven using flows, you are forced to rethink the way of programming. It makes it easier, but sometimes the way of working leads to code which could be optimized (standard problem in model based software development).
  • Most of the code is generated, so the technical knowledge of the inner working of coding are not Essentials. This could lead to degration of this knowlegde. As part of this, most technologies will only be used when OutSystems supports it. They do a good job on implementing these things. But things like Node.js would be nice.

For web based development within organizations, OutSystems is great. When you have the resources to start, don't hesitate! It can be used as a front-end tool, but we also have solutions where it is used to combine all kinds of third party software (using rest/soap/services/etc.) into one dashboard. Another, mostly undervalued, part is the business processing engine, which automates task distribution based on data. Just define your flows, triggers, transport of data and task, and your whole process is supported with great software.

When you want to enable your users to move to mobile, no problem. Most of the platform adjusts for the platform and with version 10, it is even easier to generate native apps, although it relies on PhoneGap/Cordova a lot. So lots of native, but the visuals are mainly webpages. But realize, the most used applications on mobile work this way.

When you want to build desktop applications, OutSystems will not facilitate you in building and [execution]. This is not a problem, because most of the software today can be used within the browser with an equal user experience and support.

Read Patrick Baanvinger's full review
Willem Norval profile photo
I started doing an online course from OutSystems. The front office will be using it for improved communication with clients.
  • I need to develop an application fast and do not have the time to learn to code. OutSystems does the coding part for you and the developer only has to understand the logic. There is no coding.
  • Although I am a beginner I have managed to build and publish my first "exercise" application within two weeks. Even if I did know some coding I would not have been able to manage the construction and logic for the application within the next ten years.
  • I have always been curious to develop applications but never managed to build anything. Getting my hands dirty is exciting. Any newbie can fire away from the word go.
  • Another absolutely fantastic feature is the visual design and structure of the application's logic. I may be uninformed, but I have never seen anything like it.
  • Doing an online course - i.e. no help - took me some time to get the hang of navigating in the development area. Hopefully their course developers will use questions and errors from novices like me to improve the course design where needed.
  • Although the theory videos are well meant I can't wait to work through them all right now. I will come back to them later. Perhaps that's one of my mistakes. I want to get my hands dirty - NOW. I would much prefer it if the theory could be "built into" the practical exercises. But that's just me.
  • Initially I got stuck here and there, but Outsystems ALWAYS managed to assist me to get past a problem. I appreciate that tremendously. The community forum is a great help. Sometimes answers or suggestions to solve errors may take a while because of my time zone.
  • I am a bit concerned that it may be difficult to do a design model of my own. Having to figure out the data types and the detailed logic without the guidance of a designed exercise, but being a beginner I trust OutSystems has something in store for me in the "Intermediate Level".
This is a tough one! I am over the moon that OutSystems enabled a novice like me to publish an exercise app in such a short time. So beginners can also feel welcome. In my opinion OutSystems appears to be a truly powerful platform that can be used for any application. I cannot wait to see what they have in store for me in the next courses. I will dare to say that you can probably do just about anything with OutSystems - and here I mean "complicated" stuff. I would absolutely love it if OutSystems can provide some "practical" courses involving Arduino and RaspberryPi employing mobile and web apps. I haven't had time to explore this far yet - does Outsystems incorporate the capability to work with map data (ArcMap).
Read Willem Norval's full review
Yuri Chekalin profile photo
We use OutSystems as a framework for one of our largest solutions and for [our] custom solutions area as well. Mainly we use it as a case tool (for example: as front-office system in credit conveyor).
  • We moved to OutSystems from IBM stack and immediately identified decrease of development hours up to 30%! The visual development really works!
  • The one metadata layer for all parts of a big solution is something like forgotten heaven :)
  • You add a parameter to an entity - and then you immediately can see it at Screens, Integration layer, Pront Forms, DMP etc. Compare this with SOA-based solution...
  • BPM (process flow) can be really less resource-consuming. Sometimes this is a real bottle-neck.
  • It's really hard to sell the license structure to end user. Non-IT people simply do not understand it. And anyway no one can make prognoses on this (from 5years TCO perspective for example).
OutSystems is good for building fast, rapidly changing live business solutions like credit conveyors (front office and underwriting solutions in retail banking and insurance). Because of its visual development nature, the cost of getting new person into the team is close to zero (if you maintain your own knowledge base).

A very technical solution (developed by IT people and purely for IT people) like ESB will not be the strongest area [or use case] of the platform.
Read Yuri Chekalin's full review
Rob van Horssen profile photo
As a system integrator, we support several kinds of solutions for our customers. OutSystems is one of the platforms we use to build solutions for our customers. Sometimes we advise our customers on platforms to choose from, but most of the time the customers already have chosen a platform and ask us to help manage these platforms or the customer simply needs extra consultants to be able to manage the business demands. Applications that we have built support a variety of business needs for example sales support apps, automation of back-office processes or a meeting organizer with complex authorization issues.
  • It is very easy to start prototyping with OutSystems, in minutes you build a data structure and user interface and start showing results to customers. With the same ease, one can make changes in exsting applications and show changes to address customer needs.
  • With OutSystems you can show your clients on a high level what you are working on. It needs only a little explanation and the web screens and logical actions can be "read" by clients. Of course, it is obviously up to the developer to use logical names for actions, web screens etc.
  • I think starting to work with OutSystems is easy for any person having basic knowledge and understanding of developing apps. One should not compare it to developing in C# or Java (extensions using for example Java, are still possible). Developing with OutSystems is more like a drag and drop and plug and play experience than code writing.
  • The templates for formatting browsers are very nice to have, but in the end that is based upon a CSS definition so if you want to make fancy changes you have to dive into CSS.
  • I would have expected some more features for database management. Basically, all database management is handled by OutSystems. Of course, this could also be seen as an advantage for those who do not want to enter the world of database management.
Until now I have seen that OutSystems is very powerful in developing along with the customer.

Developing front-end applications or back-office applications: in both areas, OutSystems is suitable for rapid application development. Good product ownership is required of course, but that would be no different with any other project. It is not directly a tool which I would think of when implementing a complete ERP system for a large company but it has already proven to be suitable for that as well for some customers currently running their ERP system in OutSystems.
Read Rob van Horssen's full review
Grant McDonogh profile photo
We used Outsystems Platform to replace all our legacy systems. We are also using Outsystems Platform to build new products and enhancements to existing products which we are bringing to the market. We are extending our systems to open up portals to all our service providers which will have the effect of relieving admin fatigue from our internal users. The portals also have the effect of consolidating all the data into a central repository so that we have better visibility across all our service providers.
  • The platform allows us to move from Windows client to web client in less than half the time and budget.
  • The platform gives us more control over our app life cycle and deployment process than we ever had before.
  • Outsystems allows us to easily integrate with other systems and we are able to quickly extend the platform using C#.
  • It would be nice to have a development environment for my MacBook Pro, this is not a show stopper, just a nice to have.
I have reached the point in my career where I just want to deliver high quality applications without having to wrestle with every new tech out there. Outsystems allows me to focus on what I love which is solving business problems for my clients. My clients love me because they are able to get what they want in days or weeks instead of months and years. My clients are competing on a higher level than the rest of the market. Their competitors are having to play catch-up now.

In short, we are able to offer better products to the market in time to take advantage of the opportunities while they still exist. I have the freedom to dream BIG again.
Read Grant McDonogh's full review
Reges Mendes profile photo
Outsystems is used across the whole organization to help people with less technical knowledge to map their processes and offers a shortcut to have their own solutions implemented. In the other hand, the technical body have more time to dedicate to complex situations and address technical issues that have impact on many users and projects, like a framework or design patterns.
  • Outsystems has an amazing IDE with almost everything you need in a project.
  • You can find the things that aren't in IDE, like environment setup and others, in a very intuitive admin area.
  • The AI on IDE is impressive and can avoid many of problems that took hours of development to address.
  • The community is the best and offers so many components to help people to achieve their goals asap.
  • I'd like to work with composite primary keys.
  • It could have some better report tools, create reports for printing with pagination, headers, footers, groups and so, still being a headache.
  • I would love a specific license for (very) small businesses ;)
It's well suited for all scenarios, I guess. I just can't find a situation where it can face troubles that others could avoid. Maybe I just haven't faced enough real situations with this tool, but I have more than 20 years of system analisys and it's definetly the most powerfull tool that I ever seen.
Read Reges Mendes's full review
Guilherme Nunes profile photo
At the moment we are using Outsystems Platform for the development of hybrid applications. The use is only specific to the team where I am.
  • The learning curve in Outsystems Platform is quite fast and easy.
  • It is a technology that greatly facilitates development due to the great abstraction it offers.
  • Today with OutSystems we can respond to almost all the challenges in the area of web and mobile development.
  • The version driver could be more agile.
The OutSystems Platform is well suited for:
.crud-like solutions
.Web, Mobile
Read Guilherme Nunes's full review
Rafael Pereira profile photo
We are using OutSystems to provide a fast response to our customers, by delivering amazing web apps and mobile apps, in a record time, with a short but very efficient team, with full adoption by business users. The time to market is incredible when using OutSystems. We are changing the way that IT and business interacts by "killing" the backlog with this amazing solution.
  • Fast response to change requests
  • Removes complexity from the development process
  • Provide an easy to use IDE to develop both, mobile and native apps in a revolutionary way
  • Strong fit with Cloud architecture
  • They are doing an amazing visual components pallet called SILK, and I think there is lots of space for improvements there.
Whenever you need fast response to business needs, and fast response to innovate and be more competitive, USE OUTSYSTEMS!
Read Rafael Pereira's full review
Paco Ojeda profile photo
First, our company is a new partner of Outsystems. I am involved in the development of Outsystems applications as a project manager of three developer teams for one of our clients. Our company is beginning to develop some kind of products with Outsystems aimed to sell in our country.
  • Prototyping. It is extremely fast to get prototypes of applications.
  • Mobile applications. Outsystems has many available components for the mobile environment.
  • Deploy. It saves a lot of tasks involved in the deployment of applications in the different stages of development.
  • Pricing. We think that pricing of Outsystems is based more on standards of developed countries.
  • We think that we manage only 1/4 or 1/3 of the cost of developed countries.
  • Capacitation. It is very difficult to have on-site training. It would very useful to have alternatives to this type of training.
  • Language: There is almost nothing in Spanish as official training for other type of materials for selling for example.
Mobile scenarios are well suited. One scenario needing some improvement is support for more than 1 LDAP, in case one LDAP is failing.
Read Paco Ojeda's full review
Tim Timperman profile photo
As an Outsystems partner, we implement solutions built with the Outsystems Platform at our clients. We provide them with the necessary expertise to build applications. Our clients use the platform to solve various different business problems, ranging from business critical applications to pure back office support applications.
  • Rapid development of enterprise grade web applications
  • All the tools for the full life cycle of an application
  • Very robust and proven technology (built on .NET or Java)
  • License cost can be high initially
Use the platform to build web applications, which it does extremely well, and very fast. Don't use it to replace long running batch applications or bulk database operations (read: millions of records). While not impossible, the platform is less suited to handle those kinds of requirements.
Read Tim Timperman's full review
Carlos Alberto Aponte Roa profile photo
May 11, 2016

Outsystems review

I am a consultant and have been used platform in three large companies and two small ones. Three of those industries are insurance companies and others are communication companies.

We have helped to build main web portals with different kind of transactional modules to allow companies' clients to perform online procedures/transactions/processes by themselves. We have integrated with AD and web services (soap and rest). Development is fast if requirements are well defined but even when those are not, changes are faster than doing them using other programming languages or IDEs.

• Database integrations: These integrations allows users to speed up development processes by providing ready to use methods.
  • Error handling: Error handling is excellent. It is showing errors in real time while you are programming. Syntax errors are avoided and changes in variable names, input parameters and other definitions are automatically performed on site where it is referenced.
  • Fast deployment: Deployments between development and test, and test to production are fast and avoid many of the possible deployment errors caused by human intervention.
  • OutsySystems needs to improve in web services. Support SOAP 1.2 and also do a better handling of date types when they are used as input parameters in web services.
  • OutSystems needs to handle better integration with databases that do not have tables with a single field primary key defined. Some tables have a primary key composed of two or three fields and those are not well managed by OutSystems. I am specifically talking about the fact that in those cases inserts, updates and other database actions are not created.
  • Content management. Nowadays there is no available and reliable content management to develop web sites with CMS capabilities.

The OutSystems Platform is well suited for:

• Applications with forms and process flows.
  • Reporting and dashboard applications.
  • Web Site without content management.
Read Carlos Alberto Aponte Roa's full review
Richard Tilbury profile photo
We use OutSystems as our main development tool. We used OutSystems to provide our clients with a cutting-edge employee benefits portal offering staff discounts and savings designed to help make the employee's money go further. See http://www.personal-group.com/hapi for details of our product. Since launching the site last year, we have enrolled close to 100,000 active users; a figure that is growing daily as we are experiencing good traction.
  • Low-code - the action flows are very quick to debug, as you can quickly troubleshoot and identify problems.
  • Engaging - some developers can be dismissive of the product, but once they use it, most will adopt the platform as their tool of choice.
  • In the right hands the tools allows for rapid development.
  • Many common tasks can be done quickly, e.g. search and admin screens for tables are generated simply by dragging and dropping the tables onto a form.
  • OutSystems seem to be keen on improving the product and listening to their user community.
  • Longer term development version branching in the platform, i.e. developing major branches while maintaining existing code is lacking, although the handling of versions and synchronising day to day developments is good.
  • Lacking reporting tools for the production of ad-hoc management information.
  • There are very minor niggles with the action flows; e.g. lacking things like a version history showing developers and what they changed, the ability to disable code branches easily, small stuff.
We have found OutSystems suited to most scenarios. We have written some complex functionality, including product purchasing, single sign-on integrations, bulk data importing and a rules engine to price products. Where a traditional development tool such as C# is required, OutSystems Integration Studio allows you to do integrate the C# code with little effort.
Read Richard Tilbury's full review
Pedro Remedios profile photo
In my organization, IT Up, we are using the OutSystems Platform to provide training services and people services to various clients. We are also using it to build our internal management support tools.
  • Rapid application development
  • Strong architecture design
  • Strong scalability
  • Very helpful and knowledgeable community
  • Integrated Developer Environment could allow for more screen retail on smaller monitors
  • Better CSS integration
  • Better font integration
It is less appropriate for less than medium projects.
Read Pedro Remedios's full review
Mark Horenberg profile photo
I'm currently using the OutSystems Platform for developing a company wide application for supporting all utility processes in the Dutch market at the moment. We are currently working on a way to implement processes for new customers, where one initial process will lead to more than one process for the type of customer we are dealing with and starting one or more concurrent processes.
  • Changing existing software for changes that later appear in the design process.
  • Fast integration with a number of software products like SAP.
  • A wide variety of free components in the OutSystems Forge you can use in your applications.
  • Flexibility in the columns of structures to present in your application.
  • Forcing mandatory fields from within the database with the use of catalogs.
The platform is well suited for creating your own custom software and not well suited for functions like ESB.
Read Mark Horenberg's full review
Vorster Swanepoel profile photo
We use OutSystems to implement applications for our clients. We are moving away from the traditional "File-New-Project" way of writing applications. OutSystems offer the tools and components to achieve our goal to build applications that can deliver value within a few days or weeks.
  • Responsive web applications
  • Data modelling
  • Workflows
  • Please make offline mobile applications part of the standard toolset. Currently it is a add-on that depends heavily on javascript, and manual interventions.
  • Data explorer/manager. We need a simple way to query and change data.
It is well suited for web and connected mobile. It is well suited for delivering value quickly. It is very much in line with the LEAN/Agile mantra. It is not yet there to achieve a high adoption rate with offline mobile. I believe it will be possible if OutSystems settles on a mobile platform; for instance Xamarin.
Read Vorster Swanepoel's full review
Daniel C Saungweme profile photo
August 12, 2016

Outsystems Rocks

We use outsystems platform to provide business solutions for a large corporate firm that does recoveries for major banks, other financial services providers and major credit stores in South Africa. Our systems caters for the legal department, finance department, call centre, IT Support and other third parties. The platform is used company wide. The amazing thing about Outsystems is the RAD (Rapid Application Development). This enables us to deliver solutions at break-neck speeds. We run the entire call centre on this platform with automated calling. The business processes are all streamlined on the platform and creates awesome efficiency and 98% up-time. I will recommend this platform to any well meaning business looking for cutting edge technological solutions. The learning curve is gentle for both users and Developers.
  • Relational Databases are the system's prowess. Its very easy to see how entities relate through the Entity Diagrams.
  • The Drag and drop features allows developers to focus on logic instead of syntax which the platform does in the back end
  • The ability to add extensions in any language or programming platform is amazing
  • The ability to refresh all references all at once at a click of a button for different eSpaces could be a very welcome feature. We have 5 business layers and if a change is made in the core layers it has to propagate across all layers and it's a manual process which is tedious
It is very suitable for Mobile application development; we use it mainly for web applications though.
Read Daniel C Saungweme's full review
Mark O'Neal profile photo
Outsystems is used to fill-in the gaps between SOR's and BP.
  • Easy to begin
  • Robust low code solution
  • Layout can be cumbersome
Really good for scoped process automation.

Can be difficult to manage as the size turns more toward monolith.
Read Mark O'Neal's full review

Visual Modeling (41)
Drag-and-drop Interfaces (41)
Platform Security (40)
Platform User Management (39)
Reusability (43)
Platform Scalability (40)

About OutSystems

OutSystems is designed to help users build enterprise-grade apps incredibly fast. The vendor says their low-code platform is ranked number one by Forrester. This solution lets users visually develop their entire application, easily integrate with existing systems, and add their own custom code when they need it.

OutSystems Features

Has featureVisual development environment, extensible with your custom code
Has featureIntegrate any existing system and database
Has featureDeploy to any device
Has featureNo technology lock-in
Has featureModel complex offline behavior
Has featureIntegrate native device capabilities (GPS, barcode, etc.)

OutSystems Competitors