https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/Ji/QU/PSLA297N9OQF.JPEGTibco Spotfire - 2016In my function, we use Spotfire for data analytics and real-time monitoring of operational, financial, and market data. We have a team of 5-6 that are strong users of the tools and have integrated the functionality across our systems that we utilize for our master databases, whereby integrating our analysis and not just looking at it functionally.,Ease of integration (open source) Variety of 'out of the box' analytic techniques and setups,In application training/help is limited,10,Improved insights into the data to allow for more in-depth investigation,Tableau Desktop and DomoSpotfire, Simple and Visually AestheticTIBCO Spotfire Platform is being used to find relationships between seemingly unrelated data. Currently, Spotfire is only being used by a specific department. Spotfire allows my team to provide our clients with great visuals that make the data mean something.,Simplicity. Spotfire is very user friendly and easy to navigate. Create Details Visualization. This button is used tremendously. It allows for controlling one graph from another. Manipulation. The charts and tables can be filtered and manipulated to get at the exact information you're looking for.,A filter ability where the date will stay current and update another filter date to always be X amount of days before. The coding language isn't the easiest. I don't know if using a more well known computer language is possible. The modeling features could have more notes about them.,9,Microsoft Power BI and Tableau Desktop,Tableau Desktop, Microsoft Power BI,9,9Very robust visualization system!We had problem with sharing data between the management team. Usually financial statements were sent monthly via email and that was it. We decided to use Spotfire's platform to streamline the data sharing, and see more metrics that were getting lost in our systems. We basically design various visualizations in Spotfire, and run reports in our systems, save it to a shared location, and Spotfire does the rest when updating the data. Users consume the data via the Spotfire Cloud.,Visualizations are very nice looking and sleek. A lot of different kinds of ways to import data. Very nice web interface to create visualizations on the go.,Limited functionality on the "graphical table" visualization. Hard to rename columns. It often shows the name of the column that comes on the report (Ex: Avg (Planned Hours)) When data is updated, sometimes it loses the formatting.,9,,QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions, Vorex PSA, Microsoft Project,10,10Excellent software for data analysts /scientists and for reportingRight now, Spotfire is used only in our "data science" department to perform complex business analyses to see how some KPIs evolve over time; simulate impacts of slight contractual adjustments, and finding the root causes of disruptive events. We also plan to use it as a live dashboarding tool for a production environment.,Analyst friendly: a lot of functionalities are implemented to help analysts/developers in their work. This is a good mix between ease of use and advanced capabilities. For example, it is very easy to join data tables, to clean data, to compute new columns, and to define complex aggregations. Fast: even locally, Spotfire is able to handle large amounts of data. Nice looking interface: the desk top client, the web interface or the export look both professionnal and detailed.,The labels on the graph appear/disappear in an uncontrolled way, depending on the size - not very convenient A very specific point: when adding 4 columns or more to a bar chart (for example for different aggregations), I did not find how we could change the display name on the x axis - not very convenient.,9,,QlikView,8,8Like owning an Italian sports car: high performance and high maintenanceMost recently I was using Spotfire to analyze clients' data, and to prepare reports and interactive presentations to the clients. I made it part of my regular meetings with my clients to give them as much opportunity to interact with their data and my analyses. I also set them up with the web client so they could interact with the data themselves.,Easy to set up analyses and visualizations. Easy for novices to interact with data, analyses, and visualizations. Visualization software runs fast, allowing good real-time interactivity with data.,Engineering, marketing, sales, and customer support don't seem to be talking with one another. There were many instances where I was promised one thing and got something else, and it often took weeks to resolve--if it got resolved at all. What finally killed it for me was when I did a mandatory update of the software, and the updated software introduced a bug which made it impossible for me to continue my work with one of my clients. Getting them to even acknowledge the bug was slow and painful, and it took weeks of teeth pulling before they finally admitted they have no plans to fix the bug.,2,,Tableau Desktop,7,7,1,1,None as long as there are equivalent competing products from companies that are more together than TIBCO.,Exploratory data analysis Communication with collaborators/clients
Windows, Linux, Mac
TIBCO Spotfire

TIBCO Spotfire Reviews

TIBCO Spotfire
Top Rated Award
Filter 491 vetted TIBCO Spotfire reviews and ratings
October 07, 2016

User Review: "Tibco Spotfire - 2016"

• Ease of integration (open source)
  • Variety of 'out of the box' analytic techniques and setups
  • In application training/help is limited
April 15, 2016

TIBCO Spotfire Review: "Spotfire, Simple and Visually Aesthetic"

• Simplicity. Spotfire is very user friendly and easy to navigate.
  • Create Details Visualization. This button is used tremendously. It allows for controlling one graph from another.
  • Manipulation. The charts and tables can be filtered and manipulated to get at the exact information you're looking for.
  • A filter ability where the date will stay current and update another filter date to always be X amount of days before.
  • The coding language isn't the easiest. I don't know if using a more well known computer language is possible.
  • The modeling features could have more notes about them.
The create details visualization button makes Spotfire well suited. It may be less suited when having to perform a lot of equations - in this case Excel may be preferred.
April 01, 2016

TIBCO Spotfire Review: "Very robust visualization system!"

• Visualizations are very nice looking and sleek.
  • A lot of different kinds of ways to import data.
  • Very nice web interface to create visualizations on the go.
  • Limited functionality on the "graphical table" visualization.
  • Hard to rename columns. It often shows the name of the column that comes on the report (Ex: Avg (Planned Hours))
  • When data is updated, sometimes it loses the formatting.
It is well suited when displaying trending data, and comparing values. You can also build very complex formulas to accomplish difficult calculations. It is not well suited to display single values, or form type of visuals. If you need to display a single value, it must be on every single row of your data set, and then take the average of that column.
March 22, 2016

TIBCO Spotfire Review: "Excellent software for data analysts /scientists and for reporting"

• Analyst friendly: a lot of functionalities are implemented to help analysts/developers in their work. This is a good mix between ease of use and advanced capabilities. For example, it is very easy to join data tables, to clean data, to compute new columns, and to define complex aggregations.
  • Fast: even locally, Spotfire is able to handle large amounts of data.
  • Nice looking interface: the desk top client, the web interface or the export look both professionnal and detailed.
  • The labels on the graph appear/disappear in an uncontrolled way, depending on the size - not very convenient
  • A very specific point: when adding 4 columns or more to a bar chart (for example for different aggregations), I did not find how we could change the display name on the x axis - not very convenient.

When you have small amounts of data (< 1000 lines), Spotfire might be too heavy for what you intend to do.

When you have medium amounts of data (10 000+ lines), Spotfire is great if you need some advanced computations/aggregations features. Excel pivot tables are very limited and Spotfire helps with building very advanced filters/aggregations/formulas and displays. It is also much faster, especially for join requests.

When you have large amounts of data, Spotfire can help you by provinding both complex analyses and dashboards, in a scale that Excel will never be able to catch up with.

In a nutshell : Spotfire is very useful either if you want to do advanced computations, if you need user friendly dashboards and also if you need to quickly handle a large amount of data.

March 11, 2016

TIBCO Spotfire Review: "Like owning an Italian sports car: high performance and high maintenance"

• Easy to set up analyses and visualizations.
  • Easy for novices to interact with data, analyses, and visualizations.
  • Visualization software runs fast, allowing good real-time interactivity with data.
  • Engineering, marketing, sales, and customer support don't seem to be talking with one another. There were many instances where I was promised one thing and got something else, and it often took weeks to resolve--if it got resolved at all.
  • What finally killed it for me was when I did a mandatory update of the software, and the updated software introduced a bug which made it impossible for me to continue my work with one of my clients. Getting them to even acknowledge the bug was slow and painful, and it took weeks of teeth pulling before they finally admitted they have no plans to fix the bug.
I'm having such a better experience now that I've switched to Tableau. Frankly I find Spotfire more intuitive to use, but I cannot recommend it given my experiences.
March 08, 2016

User Review: "TIBCO Spotfire"

TIBCO Spotfire was acquired to help us to create analyses and visualizations for different departments being sales, operations and finance the main ones. Examples of how we've used the tool include: a) analysis and visualizations to help us to understand the behavior and performance of our gross margins and b) visualizations that shed light on opportunities to improve our key sourcing program. In the near future the tool will start to be used by our supply chain and financial departments to create ad-hoc analyses and to automate reports that are manually generated at the moment.
  • Data extraction. The tool is very strong to connect to multiple data sources.
  • Data transformation. The tool offers great capabilities to transform data when needed.
  • Data manipulation. The tool is very good in managing large data sets.
  • Training. The training videos provided by TIBCO are related to version 6.5 even though we acquired version 7.0.
  • Visualizations. The out of the box visualizations are pretty standard and not very appealing for certain people.
In my opinion the tool can be used in pretty much any industry and department where data analysis is required.
March 04, 2016

TIBCO Spotfire Review: "Spotfire for BI - WIN"

We had some key individuals in accounting and operations that were looking for a way to view and compare data from several different databases in one location and be able to enhance those results visually to appeal to the C-Level. After spending weeks looking for the right product we tried Tibco Spotfire and knew that we had found the product that would serve our needs.

We started off with 1 stand alone license and quickly grew to 5 licenses. This year we will be expanding to a network model with 20+ licenses. Our C-Level was impressed with the different ways we were able to compare data and highlight the key areas that are important to them. From simple scatterplot charts to detailed heat maps, Spotfire does it all for us.

Tibco provides numerous free classes, seminars, and webinars to help you learn the program and start off quickly. We were able to hit the ground running, connect to multiple sources like our MSSQL2012 Database, a Postgre SQL DB, some Excel files, and an access DB.

There is no question, if you need the business intelligence and in-depth analytics, Spotfire is the program for you.

• Spotfire easily connects to multiple sources to pull data into a project and can be saved so you don't have to connect to those sources again.
  • Spotfire gives you plenty of templates to choose from or you can make your own visual chart.
  • Spotfire gives you plenty of options to export your data to be readable and accessible by anyone in the company.
  • We would have liked to have seen more of a tutorial or video when you open the program for the first time.
For any company that needs to gather, evaluate, and compare data from multiple departments, Spotfire is the perfect option. You can use Excel to tap into multiple sources and give a basic pie chart but the type of knowledge required to do that is not for your every day Excel user. This program can do the same thing easier, and give you drastically more options.
February 29, 2016

TIBCO Spotfire Review: "nice and comfortable tool for handling big data volumes"

TIBCO is used in one business unit of our company. The software is needed to analyze the results of long term tests on a test rig. Tests are running with 1KK iterations and the resulting values are evaluated by the TIBCO software.
  • Handle more than 100k values
  • Self-explanatory
  • Clearly arranged
  • Many different ways of presentations
  • Adjust base settings (e.g. always start with the same template)
For standard evaluations with less than 100k values Excel is faster, easier and has more possibilities. But if there are more values Excel is limited by the amount of rows. So this can only be managed by TIBCO.
April 06, 2016

TIBCO Spotfire Review: "Spotfire for Upstream Oil and Gas Analysis"

We use TIBCO Spotfire to easily analyze large amounts of data, both on the accounting side and the engineering side.
  • Spotfire integrates maps and data seamlessly.
  • Spotfire is fully programmable and easily customized.
  • Spotfire makes quick work of cutting and slicing data many different ways to help us understand our data.
  • Build in some of the industry specific functions that third parties are creating and selling.
It is best suited to situations where large amounts of data exist. Small data sets are often easier to analyze in Excel.
February 28, 2014

Review: "TIBCO Spotfire for Marketing Data Analysis"

We use our own tool for marketing analytics - we measure all of our campaign spend, effectiveness of program spend and integrated campaign management. We are able to tie together data from multiple outside services including Google Analytics, Google Ad Sense, Social Media Services and Salesforce.com to get a comprehensive view of how effective our marketing is performing.
  • Ability to mash up data from multiple sources simply and easily
  • Ability to interact with the data to get just the view that I need to make a better decision
  • Ability to share some or all of the analytics application with colleagues in the organization
  • None
Spotfire has transformed our company into a data driven marketing organization
June 18, 2013

TIBCO Spotfire Review: "Excellent Visualization tool"

• Custom calculations to support KPI's that drive business. Spotfire enables us to do things like statistical significance z-testing and calculating share of voice by expressing one column as a percentage of another.
  • Links to existing database and hence eliminates the process of importing and exporting data frequently.
  • Easy to add and delete columns to support extra KPI's.
  • Different filters for different views on the same tab. This is sometimes an issue when, for example, I want to be able to see data for March and April on the same tab. It''s not possible to have different views of the data on the same tab. I have to build two tabs.
  • Formatting of charts with labels. If I want to put percentage labels on charts (for example, conversion or click rate percentages) it works fine on the X and Y axes, but there are no controls for attaching the labels to individual data points like individual bars in a bar chart.
  • Web preview of the reports: When I build a report using the desktop client, it doesn't always look exactly the same when viewed through the web viewer. For example, if a chart is compressed in the desktop client, it will be significantly more compressed when viewed through the web viewer and is sometimes impossible to read. I have to go back and forth between the desktop client and the web viewer to figure out how big a chart needs to be before it is easily readable on the web. This is sometimes frustrating.
January 13, 2014

TIBCO Spotfire Review: "Solid tool that resonates with the end-user"

• Good visual analytics, dashboard capability.
  • On-the-fly interactive analytics.
  • Initial configuration and data-set preparation.
  • Need for better initial data quality assessment.
The company offered us free initial training which was very helpful in learning the tool and advocating its use. They should continue to offer trial versions to the public and allow for the open development of new use cases.
November 12, 2012

TIBCO Spotfire Review: "Highly intuitive visualization capability."

• Spotfire is a very intuitive design tool. It’s very easy to manipulate X axes and Y axes to build visualizations. The tool does not have a heavy learning curve. It’s also well-designed in that once you learn one thing, it’s quite easy to use that knowledge to do something else. The UI is quite consistent. Once you know one thing, it’s easy to do other things.
  • Marking visualization components and filtering for drill-down into the underlying data are very intuitive and easy to understand.
  • The tool is also very easy to customize. For example, the SDK allows for custom visualizations.
  • Ease of use though is primordial. We did not want to deploy a tool that was so difficult to use that we would not get any internal adoption. The primary goal was to bring in a product that could be used by people of all different skill levels and would be widely adopted across the organization.
  • On the back end, when designing visualizations, actually getting data into the product can be a bit esoteric. For a technical person, writing SQL queries is relatively straightforward. But the product has been designed for less technical users. All users are forced to use a GUI which is poorly designed and very difficult to use. The Information Designer (used for setting up data sources and creating information database queries) is the weakest part of the product and needs to be redesigned.
  • Data volume. Ours is a very data-intensive business. We produce Terabytes of data. This huge volume of data is not always practical to pull in. The desktop version of the product loads all data into RAM and not on disk which can be problematic. Obviously, it can only load what data your physical machine has resources for. Once you have all the data, of course, it’s very easy to filter and drill down and the product works very well. The problem is the hard RAM limit. Tableau works around this problem by doing some smarter caching so that you are not pulling everything into RAM. This is not really a problem for sales, but for engineering where the volumes of data tend to be very large, the overhead can be prohibitive.

Pixel Perfect reports (28)
Customizable dashboards (178)
Report Formatting Templates (154)
Drill-down analysis (177)
Formatting capabilities (185)
Integration with R or other statistical packages (135)
Report sharing and collaboration (167)
Publish to Web (139)
Publish to PDF (161)
Report Versioning (18)
Report Delivery Scheduling (103)
Pre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.) (188)
Location Analytics / Geographic Visualization (168)
Predictive Analytics (144)
Multi-User Support (named login) (149)
Role-Based Security Model (125)
Multiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete) (139)
Responsive Design for Web Access (110)
Dedicated iOS Application (75)
Dedicated Android Application (11)
4.0
Dashboard / Report / Visualization Interactivity on Mobile (90)
REST API (26)
6.6
Javascript API (26)
6.6
iFrames (18)
6.4
Java API (21)
6.3
Themeable User Interface (UI) (27)
6.7
Customizable Platform (Open Source) (20)
6.3

About TIBCO Spotfire

TIBCO SpotfireⓇ is a data discovery and business intelligence tool with capabilities that range from colorful graphic visualizations for the entry-level user to in-depth statistical analysis. According to the vendor, their built in analytical engines help users utilize the results of data mining, help in-house intelligence analysts crunch proprietary numbers, and drive new business growth. The vendor also says they help anticipate opportunities and risks by seamlessly integrating predictive models and real-time event streams into user-friendly business intelligence solutions that work.

TIBCO Spotfire® Cloud provides the same business intelligence tools as Spotfire Desktop, with the addition of web authoring and unlimited sharing. Because it is software-as-a-service, it requires no installation.

Spotfire Platform is designed for larger deployments within organizations. According to the vendor, its differentiating hybrid in-memory/in-database analytics architecture supports the most demanding enterprise needs, easily scaling to thousands of users and limitless rows of data.

Spotfire is is deployed in companies in energy, financial services, manufacturing, consumer packaged goods, and life sciences industries.

TIBCO Spotfire Features

BI Platform Features
Has featureAdministration via Windows App
Does not have featureAdministration via MacOS App
Has featureAdministration via Web Interface
Has featureLive Connection to External Data
Has featureSnapshot of External Data
Has featureIn-memory data model
Has featureOLAP (Pre-processed cube representation)
Does not have featureROLAP (SQL-layer querying)
Has featureMulti-Data Source Reporting (Blending)
Has featureData warehouse / dictionary layer
Has featureETL Capability
Has featureETL Scheduler
Supported Data Sources Features
Has featureMS Excel Workbooks
Has featureText Files (CSV, etc)
Has featureOracle
Has featureSalesforce
Has featureSAP
Has featureGoogle Analytics
BI Standard Reporting Features
Does not have featurePixel Perfect reports
Has featureCustomizable dashboards
Has featureReport Formatting Templates
Ad-hoc Reporting Features
Has featureDrill-down analysis
Has featureFormatting capabilities
Has featurePredictive modeling
Has featureIntegration with R or other statistical packages
Has featureReport sharing and collaboration
Report Output and Scheduling Features
Has featurePublish to Web
Has featurePublish to PDF
Has featureOutput Raw Supporting Data
Does not have featureReport Versioning
Has featureReport Delivery Scheduling
Does not have featureDelivery to Remote Servers
Data Discovery and Visualization Features
Has featurePre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.)
Has featureLocation Analytics / Geographic Visualization
Has featurePredictive Analytics
Has featureSupport for Machine Learning models
Has featurePattern Recognition and Data Mining
Has featureIntegration with R or other statistical packages
Access Control and Security Features
Has featureMulti-User Support (named login)
Has featureRole-Based Security Model
Has featureMultiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete)
Has featureReport-Level Access Control
Has featureTable-Level Access Control (BI-layer)
Has featureField-Level Access Control (BI-layer)
Does not have featureSingle Sign-On (SSO)
Mobile Capabilities Features
Has featureREST API
Has featureJavascript API
Has featureiFrames
Has featureJava API
Has featureThemeable User Interface (UI)
Has featureCustomizable Platform (Open Source)
Has featureSmart Recommendations for Visualizations
Has featureConnectors: OData, Mongo DB, Apache Cassandra, Apache Spark, Attivio
Has featureEmbedded R Runtime Engine
Has featureK-Means Clustering, Holt-Winters Forecasting, Line Similarity
Has featureMulti-Layer Map Charts and Support for Shape Files

TIBCO Spotfire Videos (3)

TIBCO Spotfire Downloadables

TIBCO Spotfire Integrations

Google Analytics, Salesforce.com, Attivo Networks, TIBCO Simplr, Wordsmith by Automated Insights

TIBCO Spotfire Competitors

Has featureFree or Freemium Version Available?Yes
On-premise EditionPricing DetailsTerms
TIBCO Spotfire PlatformPlease contact TIBCO sales
SaaS EditionPricing DetailsTerms
TIBCO Spotfire Cloud - Monthly$200Per Month, Per Authoring Seat
TIBCO Spotfire Cloud - Annual$2,000Per Year, Per Authoring Seat
TIBCO Spotfire for Amazon Web Services$0.99Per Hour (Starting)
TIBCO Spotfire Cloud EnterprisePlease contact TIBCO sales

For Enterprise engagements, please contact TIBCO directly for a custom price quote.

TIBCO Spotfire Support Options