Great option for CAT tools

May 15, 2022

The must-have C.A.T. tool

October 17, 2018

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Trados Studio, and make your voice heard!

Freelance Subscription

per year

Freelance

Per License

Freelance Plus

Per License

What is Trados Studio?

Trados Studio is a translation management and language localization platform, from multinational SDL headquartered in the UK. It is a computer-assisted translation product, designed to be a complete translation environment for language professionals who want to edit, review and manage translation projects whilst in the office or on the move.

Trados Studio Technical Details

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 9.

The most common users of Trados Studio are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees) and the Translation & Localization industry.

I bought SDL Trados software several years ago, believing I would be able to use it forever. In August 2022 I received an email saying that "License resets no longer available" for my version of software, effectively meaning I am forced to buy a new version of their software if I move to a new computer or need to reinstall Windows for any reason.

There are few meaningful updates from the 2014 version to the new version, it's basically the same thing with a few tweaks, and a new version is nearly $1,000. Where does this leave translators who work part time or live in countries where rates are low?

Except for this unfair decision by SDL, I have no reason to buy their new version!I will never give SDL another dime as thankfully there are now other competing programs such as memoQ and Trados no longer has a monopoly. It's a desperate and unethical financial move by a company that has always offered poor customer support and attempted to corner the market by brute force. Good riddance.
  • Satisfactory translation memory management.
  • Acceptable but not outstanding workflow.
  • Business oriented mechanisms.
  • Highly unethical corporate practices
  • Poor customer support
  • Overly priced product
  • Monopolistic business strategies
Although now there are competitors, it held a monopoly on computer assisted translation packages for some years. If high prices and poor customer support are not an issue for you, by all means purchase it. Other translators can find better options elsewhere in 2022.
I have been using SDL Trados Studio for localization projects/assignments of various types of content such as Web site, games, user manuals, e-learning courses, marketing materials, etc. from a wide range of international end clients for many years. I use it mainly for translation work, but also for editing and proofreading.
  • Making use of Translation Memory data
  • Keeping consistency by using termbase
  • Creating new project easily using existing project setting
  • Preview feature
  • Accessing server-based TM often takes time.
  • When connecting to server-based TM, I need to enter credentials twice every time. The first attempt always fails.
Since SDL Trados Studio is equipped with highly functional TM features, it is suitable for long-term projects which require periodical updates and revisions and also projects from the same end client which often have similar content with needs for term consistency. Some of our projects have been run using SDL Trados Studio for ten years or longer. I don't think SDL Trados Studio is suited for standalone projects of small size, but other than that, SDL Trados Studio usually provides us with many benefits from the use of TM and termbase, as we can make use of existing data we have accumulated.
We use SDL Trados Studio regularly for project management. It is not our main CAT tool but we receive Trados project packages regularly from other translation agencies and then we assign them to our freelancer translators. After that, we use it for our QA processes and deliver it to our clients in return package format.
  • Xbench plugin works great. You can run Xbench on the whole project with one click.
  • TM and TB management
  • It is one of the most common CAT tool thus it is easy for translator assignments.
  • It sometimes crashes, especially when doing spellcheck.
  • Tag placing is not very efficient.
  • The trouble with activating license. We had to get in touch with the support team many times to fix the issue.
Having an SDL Trados Studio license is a must in my opinion whether you are a translator or a translation agency as it is one of the most common CAT tools out there. You will receive Trados project packages from time to time so it is good to handle these jobs in its own software so your client is at ease. We don't have the online server feature, so it is hard to track big and multilingual projects as you cannot see the progress.
Dmitry Kornyukhov | TrustRadius Reviewer
We've been using SDL Trados Studio internally to streamline translation and localization process for our existing clients. It's a state-of-the-art platform that helps us harness the power of translation memories and many other tools to improve consistency and overall quality of our text while reducing the cost and the time needed for translation.
  • Improves translation efficiency.
  • Fairly easy to use.
  • It supports a lot of different formats and integrates well with other tools.
  • A lot of translation agencies prefer SDL Trados, so being able to work in it results in increased client demand.
  • Very expensive.
  • Lots of bugs that lead to constant updates and service packs.
SDL Trados Studio is a perfect solution for medium-large size translation agencies that have high volumes of work from existing clients and are looking to improve their workflow and increase consistency and overall quality of translated materials. Unfortunately, their price makes it less of an obvious choice for solo freelancers which can benefit from other, free CAT-tools (like Smartcat, for example).
We rarely had any issues with SDL safe for a few bugs that we fixed promptly in the upcoming service packs and updates.
Anabella Valeria Weisman | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am using Trados Studio 2017 when I receive a translation which apparently has a great number of repetitions. I also use it when I receive proofreading which needs to be reviewed using Trados, and can correct any errors with Track changes on, to spot any grammar issues and run QA when necessary.
  • The TM use helps a lot to identify repeated words and fuzzy matches.
  • Trados and MemoQ files are compatible, so if a client sends a file to be worked in MemoQ I can mostly translate it in Trados too.
  • I can edit and correct any errors the same way I do in Microsoft word: I can use track changes, find and replace, among other things.
  • I would like it to be faster. When I create a new project, even if it is short, it takes a couple of minutes until I can start using the file.
  • I would like it to support more than 5 languages as, for example, I work with 7 different language pairs.
  • It does not always accept the files after they were converted with OCR. It would be great if I could use Trados for those files as well.
I can translate most of my documents using Trados, it just does not work with many files after converting them with the OCR feature, mainly if the non-editable pdf, after being converted, has a lot of tables. It would be great if I could use those files as well.
Ricardo G Lopes | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use SDL Trados with a network of freelance translators and reviewers. The product performs a sentence/paragraph text extracting from source documents into a proprietary file structure and shows it in a Source / Target 2-panels table. It addresses small to medium documents well where high performance is not a need. It doesn't really do well on big documents. It crashes frequently while doing search operations or committing hundreds of translations. Exporting to a 2 bilingual file is also a pain for big files.
  • Extracting sentences from Word, PowerPoint, and PDF.
  • Updating the source document when the client sends an updated source file.
  • Comparing sentence by sentence old set of source/target translations made outside of SDL Trados.
  • Maintaining a user community base to broadcast knowledge and issues.
  • Having an aggressive product update frequency.
  • The user interface includes elements that are basic, medium, and high complexity, which does not help the novices and it is an obstacle to Veterans. For example, Concordance Search, Fragments Matches, TQA should not be opened by default.
  • SDL Trados is a transactional-driven system. Transactions are everywhere, irrespective of its functionality. SDL Trados is not a process-oriented system, and in my humble opinion, it should be. They should be asking questions like: What are the Mega processes the system cover? What are the Macro Processes for each Mega Process? And so on and so forth for Process and then Procedures / Steps. For example, one Mega process could be Translate; another could be OCR.
  • The concept of batch tasks is a decades-old one. It assumes that the user knows what task to be selected from a bunch of tasks listed on this menu, and know which task makes sense for the step he/she is doing at one moment. Batch Tasks should be imploded, and its titles relocated and categorized within the existing Processes. A short-term action to minimize a bit this confusion would be to use dividers and re-sort the menu items by type of process and if whether it is endogenous or exogenous to the current process. That would help the end-user to focus on the main task. For example: Update Main Translation Memory is an endogenous task to the Files area.
  • The editor template with the 2 horizontal panels approach is good, and it provides many useful tools to help a manual translation, such as Terminology Base, Phrasal Translation memories, etc. However, all those tools are not available when performing an external translation and importing it back to the Editor panel. It does not flag inconsistencies against the Translation Memories or Terminology Base.
  • The product is good for low to medium volume. However, for big documents, it crashes frequently. Things like committing more than 30 sentences at the same time it takes a lot of time and CPU usage. Doing a search for the next Not Translated sentence, takes forever, I mean, more than 3 hours in a big document.
  • Fortunately, the support and training provided by BabelDGT, an SDL dealer located in Mexico City is fantastic. One-to-One Training and chat support are superb. Thanks to them my productivity is much better now.
Well suited for manual translation. There are many tools in SDL Trados Studio that help a lot when you are typing in the target language. These tools include Translation Memory, Multiterm Base, Spelling, and Reviewing tool similar to Word Review. It also allows external reviewers to do their job in a table on a Word document. When importing the revised words, Trados is able to gather the review and make it visible for final acceptance.
Support has been fast, precise and thorough. There is support on the web, by chat, by email, from the communities, from the experts, on the product Help section, on YouTube, and other social media. There is also a paid support for companies. This area is where the company stands out. I was not able to evaluate the support in languages other than English.
Brad Orfall | TrustRadius Reviewer
Inline is a small LSP that uses SDL Trados Studio 2019 to complete translations into a wide variety of languages for Fortune 500 clients worldwide. The vast majority of the usage is in Spanish for the Domestic US market. The software has dramatically increased our margins, simplified our workflows, and resulted in savings for our clients. The software is powerful and full-featured, although there is a steep learning curve that makes it difficult for new users to get up to speed.
  • The software has an extensive suite of file types that it supports, making working with most client requests relatively painless.
  • The translation workspace is easy to use, although it is very intimidating to new users. Once people get used to and understand what's available, they make great use of its features.
  • The translation memories and management tools allow for efficient use of the translation resources available, and the filters, sorting, and prioritization routines make it easy to pick the correct content from a variety of sources.
  • The software is incredibly complex and perhaps could benefit from a basic vs. enhanced view, where novice users get one view, while experienced users get the full experience and all of the options.
  • The error messages provided don't mean anything and don't explain what to do. Searching online is usually required to figure out what should be done to eliminate the issue. Why not tell people directly what is wrong?
  • The alignment tool was recently updated in 2019 SR1, but it is buggy. I had a hard time aligning files that were easily handled in the prior version of the software. In general, the update is a great improvement in functionality, but it kept giving meaningless error messages that lead nowhere in online searches. I finally found information that the errors were just a bug and to ignore them. While that worked, bugs made it hard to complete the task without crashes.
SDL Trados Studio is extremely well suited for expert CAT tool users. More novice users will have trouble getting up to speed. I have an office full of employees that constantly ask questions on how to do specific tasks, mainly because the task sequence is not obvious and is only uncovered by rote repetition of the same things. If you learn and apply the same techniques repeatedly, it becomes easier, but it seems the software was designed by software people, sometimes with little thought to the end users who have to figure it out. I don't know that professional training should be so necessary.
SDL Trados Studio illuminated inefficiency and wastefulness in our organization and allowed us to confront it. Today, we can finish tasks significantly faster by using this program. After some time, as we've gained more licenses from more established and more current forms, our productivity and entrance to studios has been more prominent. SDL Trados Studio has enhanced our productivity as an organization and venture administration group.
  • The Office-suite-look of the UI makes the tool extremely natural and easy to understand.
  • SDL Trados Studio has been enhanced after some time and has been executing new valuable channels for the most widely recognized records that make them a reference CAT apparatus in the area.
  • The separating capacities could be better/more intricate. I have encountered many bugs over the years.
  • Misses some groundbreaking functionalities, particularly the ability to work with programming documents. For example, for .resx, you have to switch to Passolo.
  • Effectively available client support costs extra. Finding direct assistance without paying for the help bundle is like pulling teeth. Fortunately, such a large number of individuals use the product that it is typically simple and speedy to get help from other users online.
SDL Trados Studio has made our organization more efficient. These days, we are able to conquer efficiency issues considerably quicker with the use of this program. After some time, as we get more licenses, our viability will improve. This indicates that using SDL Trados Studio has advanced our efficiency and productivity as an organization.