TrendKite is the Right Choice

TrendKite is the Right Choice

Software Version

TrendKite

Overall Satisfaction with Cision Communications Cloud

We use Cision's TrendKite for client alerts and searches, monitoring and listening, and reporting. Each account person leverages TrendKite for their accounts. We specifically like the key message analysis, share of voice comparison against the competition or other brands within an organization, and social amplification. We also use the SEO score and like it's integrated with MOZ. It makes monitoring media coverage easier, pulling client results easier and really differentiates us from the competition when going after new business or helping guide clients with data-driven decisions. We use Cision's media database for media list development and we have access to Cision's analytics but isn't any good - especially compared to Cision's TrendKite - the platform has not merged their analytics yet. Cision also offers social media posting but we still like Sprout Social better.
*This review was written before Cision acquired TrendKite. TrendKite is now part of Cision Communications Cloud.
  • "Talking About" option on media database
  • Widgets on Cision TrendKite and SEO value
  • The platform is easy to use
  • Customization of Cision TrendKite reports
  • Cision TrendKite customer service
  • Not all placements are picked up or a lot of times the wrong placements are included.
  • Although you can add in placements/coverage - it does not always end up in your report.
  • If you want wire coverage (e.g. - PRNewswire, PRWeb, Businesswire) it won't capture the coverage if it is behind a firewall or taken off the site so you need to capture a report the day it runs or it skews the results if you are creating monthly reports.
  • Now that TrendKite has merged with Cision not as many ebooks, resources and content is available - TrendKite used to have a great resource section.
  • Cision customer service isn't as responsive as Cision TrendKite's customer service reps
  • TrendKite is great for research, trends and SEO to help generate new business and keep current clients
  • PRWeb lost several partners in the past year including Business Journals so the syndicated numbers we were able to show in 2018/2019 compared to 2019/2020 is lower. The partners they were replaced with are not as large.
  • As a small business, you get lost among the big players.
We liked the cost of Cision TrendKite against its competitors. We also felt the platform was more advanced and intuitive. It was easier to use and included more features. They're always adding something new - even the little things make a difference. I used to feel with Cision TrendKite that I was not nickeled and dimmed for every added benefit and feature, and they really wanted to help people. I don't feel that way with Cision overall. They are only there to make money. It's gotten too big and the left and right hand are not aligned. No one knows where to go to get the answers they need and everything is still evolving. And, as they continue to acquire companies, it just gets worse. With new services popping up based on AI and machine learning, I do think there will be cost-effective alternatives to Cision.

Do you think Cision Communications Cloud delivers good value for the price?

Not sure

Are you happy with Cision Communications Cloud's feature set?

Did Cision Communications Cloud live up to sales and marketing promises?

Did implementation of Cision Communications Cloud go as expected?

Would you buy Cision Communications Cloud again?

Cision TrendKite is great if you are looking for one place to set alerts, monitor coverage and pull results reports. However, now that the merge has happened the customer service for TrendKite has remained the same but Cision is just as bad as it used to be. It has become extremely expensive, very corporate and several products overlap. If there were cost-effective options that did the same as what I needed I would use those. I would use Cision if you are a PR expert who is looking for one place to house your media lists, lead generation, press releases, analytics, influencers and possibly social media.

Transition from TrendKite to Cision Communications Cloud

It was completely annoying. I hated it and still hate it. It seemed very corporate. I didn't know if I was supposed to be speaking with the Cision rep or TrendKite rep. You had two account people. TrendKite customer service was still excellent but Cision's was typical - almost like they had to call and reach out to you. At one point the account rep had no idea I had been using PRWeb for years and wanted to give me current pricing versus my grandfathered rate. TrendKite has not been updated with any new features and benefits since the transition and the platforms still have not merged. They only merged branding. It seems all they care about acquiring other companies and being the biggest. As a small business, you are lost with the bigger players and no one seems to care.
  • Analytics
  • Distribution (PR Newswire)
  • Media Database
  • Monitoring
I would not call it a comprehensive PR strategy. I would call it programs that are on one platform. The TrendKite analytics are excellent. The ones still in Cision are terrible. My favorite is when they don't match up. For example, TrendKite might find something that Cision didn't in their monitoring and vice versa. This does not help with confidence. It's obvious PRWeb will eventually go away because there are less and less partners as part of the syndication. The ones they replace them with are lower-tier without a high audience - but affordable. The media database is fine - not much has changed with it over the last couple years with the exception of adding the Talking About feature which is great but also overlaps with those of us using MuckRack. The monitoring is also fine - nothing great. I really only use it for the media database and TrendKite analytics.
The system has not merged together yet, I was supposed to get an early preview of the new platform and guarantee it won't happen because no one will remember it was promised (since account reps are changed all of the time) and I've gotten more emails about mergers and acquisitions than about any new features and benefits, training or opportunities to help my business or clients. I joined Cision City Community but it isn't like I've added any value to my business since the merge. In fact, I feel like I'm playing for two platforms with the same company and while the TrendKite customer service seems like they care - Cision seems more like - check this business off, get them to sign the new contract and mark it up so we can make more money.
TrendKite team is responsive, helpful, quick and easy to work with. They always solve our issues and if they don't know the answer, the work with their team to find a solution. Plus, they're friendly. Cision takes forever and sometimes has to go through 20 people before getting the answer. Sometimes I've emailed a Cision rep and it will take days for them to get back to us.

Using Cision Communications Cloud

3 - Account team members and interns
  • Media list development
  • Monthly reporting
  • Press release distribution
  • Cision TrendKite's SEO Impact Score for content to post in press rooms
  • Cision TrendKite's New business insights
  • Cision TrendKite's monitoring for telling clients intel they might not have known otherwise - especially when compared to competitors
  • Readability scores of content - especially press releases
  • More social analytics
  • Stronger influencer database
Because I need the media database and want Cision TrendKite.

Evaluating Cision Communications Cloud and Competitors

• Price
  • Product Features
  • Prior Experience with the Product
I needed to be able to afford the database as a small company. I trusted from past agency experience how the media database worked and that it was updated.
Look at more vendors out there who are not as big and using more AI. People who cater more to the smaller business but have solid platforms.

Cision Communications Cloud Support

ProsCons
None
Poor followup
Less knowledgeable
Escalation required
Difficult to get immediate help
Need to explain problems multiple times
Support doesn't seem to care
Slow Initial Response
No - I didn't even know there were tiers of support level - let alone pay for it as extra.
Cision TrendKite customer service is always excellent - it's Cision's media database and monitoring that we have issues with. However, recently I needed to pull a report for a client asap and a couple of the media placements I needed to add would not stick in the Cision TrendKite platform. I just live chatted with the TrendKite rep and he stayed on with me until he fixed the issue. It was fixed within 30 minutes and he was friendly, helpful and cared.

Using Cision Communications Cloud

Lots to learn
  • Searching for media
  • Changing dates in Cision TrendKite's dashboards
  • Adding an article
  • Pulling a list by language - Spanish, Asian, etc.
  • Pulling the top say 50 magazines by unique visitors - you can sort it that way but not pull it that way
  • Keeping an article on a dashboard that was taken off a website
The usability is good and it is easy to use.