<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring#question3' target='_blank' rel='nofollow noopener'>Customer Verified: Read more.</a>
<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring' target='_blank' rel='nofollow noopener'>trScore algorithm: Learn more.</a>Score 8.7 out of 100
Based on 225 reviews and ratings
Likelihood to Recommend
Hotjar is well suite for organizations that want to get a good glimpse into user behavior on their websites. The tool is easily installed through Google Tag Manager, and then users simply select which pages or paths they want the tool to analyze. After a few days, users can start seeing patterns develop, helping them understand what areas of the user journey flow they need to test out and improve. Hotjar is primarily for web-based experiences, not for mobile applications and other non-web digital applications.
It is well suited if you want to understand more than numbers and want to invest time to really understand how users behave on your website.I believe it is an especially good fit if you are launching a new website or if you are rather new to analytics and want to understand user behavior before only looking at numbers.
C-Level Executive in MarketingInternet Company, 51-200 employees
- Heat mapping is great on Hotjar. It is a good place to start when you are looking at the UX & CRO on your website. You can see the % of people clicking on elements on a page, how far they scroll, and mouse movements.
- Hotjar is great for session recordings. These record the mouse movements, clicks, pages and scrolls of a user in video format. You can watch these to investigate what works well on a site and identify potential roadblocks and bugs.
- Hotjar is great as it ensures that users details are anonymous; for instance, if you are watching a session recording, you cannot see what a user types in a form field, as Hotjar blanks this out.
- Hotjar has a poll function, so you can have polls on your website.
- It has all the best features to have on the platform for the websites to do well on the internet.
- I have been using this platform in my organization for a very long time and it has been the best choice in handling analytics of website.
- The best features of Smartlook which amazes me while using it that it gives me an understanding of the micro-level, which is beyond amazing.
- It gives me the recording of a visitor who visits the profile and what the visitor does on the website or app.
- Customization of in-page user surveys - Although it is a great tool to be able to publish and update user surveys that appear on our web page, the customization options (mostly UI) are somewhat limited, making the survey either stick out like a sore thumb, or look like an advertisement or error on our site. It would be great to get a little bit more control over how the survey appears on our site.
- Honestly, I have not run into any other major examples I can detail where HotJar has not been able to do what I have needed it to do!
Employee in OtherComputer Software Company, 201-500 employees
- It would be nice to be able to categorize or sort the recordings into sections, such as "Improvements, Useful Interactions, Positive Experience" etc. - so the information could be easily sorted out & used.
- I would like to flag recordings so I could review them again, or make notes on them.
- It seems to take awhile for the recordings to load, especially when you click ahead in the recording.
Account Manager in MarketingComputer Software Company, 11-50 employees
Likelihood to Renew
Based on 2 answers
Even though the heat maps and user recordings were useful, our website was significantly slowed down after we installed Hotjar, so much so, that it took over a minute for our blog to load. The data that we gathered was not worth the length that it took our website to load.
No answers yet
No answers on this topic
Based on 6 answers
So easy and simple to use! Straightforward anyone in the team is able to easily go in and set up anything in Hotjar. The UI is really simple. Whenever you give feedback to Hotjar they continously take on board the feedback and improve the tool.
Based on 2 answers
I absolutely love SmartLook not only for the number of features that it packs into it but how good those features are. We generally use it for spotting technical issues or seeing the heat maps but it also allowed us to see the main points at which people abandon carts. And although we can see that through GA, Smartlook allows us to see what they are looking at when they do it, which helps us to narrow down why they left. All of the other features are phenomenal and the support is great
C-Level Executive in CorporateConsumer Goods Company, 1-10 employees
Based on 4 answers
Hotjar is a SaaS-based company, and as such has a good support service. Users can quickly submit support tickets through Hotjar's online portal. Enterprise customers get access to additional support members and have SLAs to support their larger, more complex needs. Overall, Hotjar is extremely reliable and I've never had to reach out to customer support.
Based on 79 answers
The only customer support interaction I've had is that Jan sent me an email in which he offered another 30-day full functionality trail if I submit my product review here on TrustRadius. I feel that really generous and exactly what my startup business needs right now. We would be happy to pay for this service once our sales funnels start generating some revenue.
To be honest, we have only tried Hotjar session recording. I know there are some alternatives but we haven't tried any of them. I think there are none as complete as Hotjar for what you pay (some do heatmaps, other video recording, other polls). And the thing is that all of that is done pretty decent on Hotjar, so I'm not looking for any alternative right now.
The solution integrates with key business systems to give a clear understanding of how site visitors explore websites and help in actively adjusting how their landing pages are designed. They provide customer support by phone, email, tickets, and live chat with technical information and other training materials available online providing a wide knowledge base to its users.
Return on Investment
- User Testing Alternative - Instead of hiring UX testers, we can leverage our actual customers to determine how they use our website. This has helped frame website redesign discussions on several occasions.
- Landing Page Design - We've designed our landing pages based on user feedback from heatmaps we've gathered from Hotjar. Understanding where to place CTAs and other pieces based on user interaction has helped us streamline our landing page design.
- Device Usage - Part of the data provided by Hotjar includes which device a user is visiting from. This helps us understand how mobile users work differently than desktop users.
- We found out that people look for functions on our websites that we have not put there. e.g. they wanted to enlarge a photo and that was not possible.
- We found out that pepole are a bit disoriented in our e-shop cart, that was why our sales were low. After adjusting the cart our sales went up by 3%.
- We found out what categories our clients were looking for in our e-shop. We realized some categories were missing.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
Hotjar Editions & Modules
- 2k pageviews/per day
- 10k pageviews per day/per month
- 20k pageviews per day/per month
Additional Pricing Details—
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?
* per installation
Smartlook Editions & Modules
|Ultimate Mobile||Custom pricing|
- 1,500 sessions
- per month, 7,500 sessions
- per month, 25,000 sessions
- per month, 25,000 sessions