ClickTale provides a full video playback option for each individual visitor's session (including mouse movement, clicks and keystrokes). In addition, it uses meta statistics to create visual heatmaps and behavioural reports, as well as conversion analytics and traditional web statistics.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/hM/RI/3Q2CCMTR2ARX.JPEGPowerful Insights with ClickTaleOur marketing department uses ClickTale to analyze the performance of our website. We especially like the detailed heat map sections, the conversion funnels that allow segmentation, the visitor recordings, and the form completions. We are able to drill down and find problem areas of our website, and when we locate them, we can watch visitor recordings to see actual visitors using our website.,Heat Maps - we used and liked CrazyEgg in the past, and it was a cheaper tool that was easy to use. ClickTale gives us additional capabilities with better data about scroll reach, mouse movements, clicks and a summary report that shows what parts of our pages are getting attention. A product manager asked us yesterday for insights on how his product page was performing, and we were easily able to send him the reports in the heat map section. Visitor recordings - We get good data on our website using analytics tools like GA, HubSpot and ClickTale, but it is very helpful to watch actual visitor recordings for certain visitor segments. If we add a new page or new feature to our website and notice a trend, we can easily drill down and watch visitors and see how they are interacting with the page. Conversion funnels - We do a lot of our analysis in Google Analytics and you can set up conversion funnels in GA if you know how to do it. The problem is you can't segment the data and the aggregated data is not as helpful. ClickTale makes it very simple to do conversion funnels, and you can segment them with just a few clicks.,Education - there is a ton of data available in ClickTale, but unless you know what you are doing, it provides little insight to the business. You can't simply send executives heat maps, conversion funnels, or visitor recordings and expect them to know what to do with the data. I recommend they make a serious investment in education for end-users so that companies can get the full value out of the data the tool can provide. Set up - The set up can be easy for ClickTale, but ours was more difficult because of our CMS, use of HubSpot forms and CTAs, and our extensive use of GA. Getting all of that to work together is not always straightforward, and we had a difficult time getting it all set up. I recommend ClickTale make some investment in better tools to help customers get set up. They may have done that over the past 10 months since our initial setup.,9,Haven't been able to measure ROI yet, but it has definitely allowed us to improve our website. We recently published a page that took us about 6 hours of time to develop, and we were about to invest another 10 hours to improve the page. We watched how visitors were interacting with the page and decided the content was not valuable so we deleted the project and saved us 10 hour of time.,Crazy Egg,10An expert at what it does, but limited to that.ClickTale is used in conjunction with other analytical tools such as Google Analytics to help track the effectiveness of our websites flow and layout. Mainly used by the Marketing Department to determine future trends and areas which our sales team should focus on, ClickTale provides data that helps guide our companies short- and long-term projects and goals. The ability to see what areas of our websites generate the most interest enables us to make educated decision, with proof to back them up.,Data available - with an extensive range of data at the tips of our fingers we are able to connect the dots with how sales have either improved or dipped. Data presentation - it is one thing to have the data available, but it is a whole other thing to present it in an understandable way. The information is delivered clearly and logically. Flexibility - the different plans that ClickTale offers fit our needs perfectly. We were timid at first to invest into a new product, so we took our time and started with a smaller account. Once ClickTale had proved its worth, it was only rational to continue our use.,From the last time I had used ClickTale, there was no function for Real-Time overview. This would work extremely well when running an email campaign. You would be able to determine ROI depending on the amount of hits. Specific visitor flow - it would be great to track exactly where a certain visitor clicked and the path in which they followed.,8,The main area that ClickTale has helped our company in, is target marketing.,,5A great heatmapping and low-budget user testing tool.In my experience ClickTale's unique value proposition is its heatmapping platform--and it delivers on that UVP very well. It has a suite of available maps each delivering unique and easily digestible insights. ClickTale provides very enlightening data that I haven't found anywhere else such as hover time, hover order, and hesitation. ClickTale also provides useful customizable segments, which allow for more granular data analysis. ClickTale is extremely easy to install.,It's a bit difficult to navigate form heatmaps of one page on my sites to those of another. It would be useful to have data on what percentage of clicks for each link are bounces. If this is available already, it is not very easy to find. I have slight doubts about the accuracy of ClickTale's data based on some industry related articles I've read (i.e. http://redant.com.au/tool-reviews/clicktale-review-technology/). For the most part I feel like the data I'm getting is accurate, because it roughly corresponds to what I'm able to see on Google Analytics. It would be nice to see ClickTale address some of these issues.,ClickTale's heatmaps have definitely informed conversations as to what features users are interacting with and whether a feature is findable. Coupled with my company's proprietary A/B test platform, ClickTale has been a useful validator of results.,9,8Clicktale is a tool that has furthered my career, plain and simple.Video recordings of users during their entire session to a website. To actually see the cursor, where it goes, does it scroll to the bottom of the page and then back up and then back down where a user finds what they were looking for that they missed the first time. This is invaluable. Vertical page scroll let's me know how far down a page content is being seen. This coupled with the page recordings gives me the ability to know if the scroll was at a pace that could support comprehension or if they were just flying to the bottom of the page. Mouse hover heat map gives me an indication of where users are looking. I've caught users thinking non-clickable items were clickable. Being able to select a page and watch as many users as I want interact with it. I can get a sense of common user patterns in depth for a single page or a flow of several pages. Page duration versus cursor engagement duration. This was a huge surprise in user behavior for me to learn about that is never duplicated in moderated user testing. If a user opens a link in a new window or tab there is no guarantee that the amount of time the window or tab was open that the user was actively engaged with it's content.,I always felt not providing me with the ability to grant others in my company with rights restricted access was a huge downside. This forced me into being the sole point of contact for anything that had to do with Clicktale. Hugely lacking in the ability for me to build reports using the quantitative data. It was very labor intensive for me to gather and analyze data from Clicktale. I missed out in a lot of functionality not having an enterprise level subscription. I had the gold subscription. Many of the things I wanted to capture were not possible without involving their developers - and that was only possible at the enterprise subscription level.,I learned how effective some of our image carousels were. How only 10% of a page visitors were being exposed to only the first slide. People were scrolling down or leaving the page without ever being exposed to 90% of the content. Once I provided this input to stakeholders it was an easy sell to redesign this aspect of the page. I used the mouse-move heat map to analyze user interaction with the footer. Showing stakeholders the before and after redesign heat maps did wonders for improving my credibility as an usability analyst. We used Clicktale to help analyze our 404 error page effectiveness. Our redesign gave us a 14% lower bounce rate on our redesigned 404 error page. Stakeholders appreciated a quantitative measure to gauge the success of that project.,10,9,Good filter functionality when building queries to view page results Good filter control for working with heat map reports,Honestly, I didn't find any UI features that were unusually difficult or cumbersome given the expectation that there is always a learning curve.,7Great Actionable Qualitative InsightsThe qualitative aspects of user experience are very well captured by ClickTale. We can get solid actionable insights through the various dashboards which track mouse movements, clicks, scrolls, etc. The visual conversion funnels give a very good high level view of landing page performance and how they work together. The video recordings are especially helpful. The user behavior captured is especially helpful in making decisions about user interface - form fields, call to actions, etc.,ClickTale provides sample data. At some instances we saw some discrepancies with conversion metrics provide by ClickTale. You can use the data for directional insights. However, I wouldn't use this data for measuring conversions.,Improvement in landing page conversions directly contribute to revenue for us. By implementing the actionable insights that we got from the tool, helped us improve landing page performance drastically which contributed to increased revenues.,8,8
ClickTale

ClickTale Reviews

ClickTale
Filter 39 vetted ClickTale reviews and ratings
Dan Briscoe profile photo
May 14, 2014

User Review: "Powerful Insights with ClickTale"

• Heat Maps - we used and liked CrazyEgg in the past, and it was a cheaper tool that was easy to use. ClickTale gives us additional capabilities with better data about scroll reach, mouse movements, clicks and a summary report that shows what parts of our pages are getting attention. A product manager asked us yesterday for insights on how his product page was performing, and we were easily able to send him the reports in the heat map section.
  • Visitor recordings - We get good data on our website using analytics tools like GA, HubSpot and ClickTale, but it is very helpful to watch actual visitor recordings for certain visitor segments. If we add a new page or new feature to our website and notice a trend, we can easily drill down and watch visitors and see how they are interacting with the page.
  • Conversion funnels - We do a lot of our analysis in Google Analytics and you can set up conversion funnels in GA if you know how to do it. The problem is you can't segment the data and the aggregated data is not as helpful. ClickTale makes it very simple to do conversion funnels, and you can segment them with just a few clicks.
  • Education - there is a ton of data available in ClickTale, but unless you know what you are doing, it provides little insight to the business. You can't simply send executives heat maps, conversion funnels, or visitor recordings and expect them to know what to do with the data. I recommend they make a serious investment in education for end-users so that companies can get the full value out of the data the tool can provide.
  • Set up - The set up can be easy for ClickTale, but ours was more difficult because of our CMS, use of HubSpot forms and CTAs, and our extensive use of GA. Getting all of that to work together is not always straightforward, and we had a difficult time getting it all set up. I recommend ClickTale make some investment in better tools to help customers get set up. They may have done that over the past 10 months since our initial setup.
It is well suited to businesses with a full time web analyst that will be using the tools to create actionable reports that drive action in the company. It is less appropriate where companies are just looking for some new tools and it will be forgotten soon after implementation. If a website is critical to your business and you have dedicated resources or consultants to help you understand the data, then it is invaluable. I love it.
Read Dan Briscoe's full review
Chris Zagala profile photo
May 17, 2014

ClickTale Review: "An expert at what it does, but limited to that."

• Data available - with an extensive range of data at the tips of our fingers we are able to connect the dots with how sales have either improved or dipped.
  • Data presentation - it is one thing to have the data available, but it is a whole other thing to present it in an understandable way. The information is delivered clearly and logically.
  • Flexibility - the different plans that ClickTale offers fit our needs perfectly. We were timid at first to invest into a new product, so we took our time and started with a smaller account. Once ClickTale had proved its worth, it was only rational to continue our use.
  • From the last time I had used ClickTale, there was no function for Real-Time overview. This would work extremely well when running an email campaign. You would be able to determine ROI depending on the amount of hits.
  • Specific visitor flow - it would be great to track exactly where a certain visitor clicked and the path in which they followed.
What is the Return on Investment? Is it worth the money that you are investing into this product?

I fell like I was able to utilize ClickTale enough and effectively to justify the rate of our plan. It was a great tool in helping determine what effective forms of marketing we were doing.
Read Chris Zagala's full review
Leor Maizel profile photo
December 17, 2013

ClickTale Review: "A great heatmapping and low-budget user testing tool."

• In my experience ClickTale's unique value proposition is its heatmapping platform--and it delivers on that UVP very well. It has a suite of available maps each delivering unique and easily digestible insights.
  • ClickTale provides very enlightening data that I haven't found anywhere else such as hover time, hover order, and hesitation.
  • ClickTale also provides useful customizable segments, which allow for more granular data analysis.
  • ClickTale is extremely easy to install.
  • It's a bit difficult to navigate form heatmaps of one page on my sites to those of another.
  • It would be useful to have data on what percentage of clicks for each link are bounces. If this is available already, it is not very easy to find.
  • I have slight doubts about the accuracy of ClickTale's data based on some industry related articles I've read (i.e. http://redant.com.au/tool-reviews/clicktale-review-technology/). For the most part I feel like the data I'm getting is accurate, because it roughly corresponds to what I'm able to see on Google Analytics. It would be nice to see ClickTale address some of these issues.
I would want to know whether the colleague works either in a setting in which conversion optimization is an important business goal, or has a large analytics but not user testing budget (just like my company). In this case I would definitely recommend ClickTale.
Read Leor Maizel's full review
Art Zippel, CUA profile photo
December 14, 2013

Review: "Clicktale is a tool that has furthered my career, plain and simple."

• Video recordings of users during their entire session to a website. To actually see the cursor, where it goes, does it scroll to the bottom of the page and then back up and then back down where a user finds what they were looking for that they missed the first time. This is invaluable.
  • Vertical page scroll let's me know how far down a page content is being seen. This coupled with the page recordings gives me the ability to know if the scroll was at a pace that could support comprehension or if they were just flying to the bottom of the page.
  • Mouse hover heat map gives me an indication of where users are looking. I've caught users thinking non-clickable items were clickable.
  • Being able to select a page and watch as many users as I want interact with it. I can get a sense of common user patterns in depth for a single page or a flow of several pages.
  • Page duration versus cursor engagement duration. This was a huge surprise in user behavior for me to learn about that is never duplicated in moderated user testing. If a user opens a link in a new window or tab there is no guarantee that the amount of time the window or tab was open that the user was actively engaged with it's content.
  • I always felt not providing me with the ability to grant others in my company with rights restricted access was a huge downside. This forced me into being the sole point of contact for anything that had to do with Clicktale.
  • Hugely lacking in the ability for me to build reports using the quantitative data. It was very labor intensive for me to gather and analyze data from Clicktale.
  • I missed out in a lot of functionality not having an enterprise level subscription. I had the gold subscription. Many of the things I wanted to capture were not possible without involving their developers - and that was only possible at the enterprise subscription level.
Clicktale requires a commitment, there is a learning curve. If you don't have analytical-curiosity it can be overwhelming - you have to work it. However, you shouldn't be in user-research if you aren't curious and willing to work for it. You have to take the time to understand the tools and get familiar with what it can and cannot do. Clicktale isn't a magic bullet straight out of the can, and I observed inexperienced researchers making erroneous assumptions with it. Just like any research tool it takes time to learn how and where to apply it or where not to use it as an ideal methodology.
Read Art Zippel, CUA's full review
Vishal Maru profile photo
December 10, 2013

ClickTale Review: "Great Actionable Qualitative Insights"

• The qualitative aspects of user experience are very well captured by ClickTale. We can get solid actionable insights through the various dashboards which track mouse movements, clicks, scrolls, etc.
  • The visual conversion funnels give a very good high level view of landing page performance and how they work together.
  • The video recordings are especially helpful. The user behavior captured is especially helpful in making decisions about user interface - form fields, call to actions, etc.
  • ClickTale provides sample data. At some instances we saw some discrepancies with conversion metrics provide by ClickTale. You can use the data for directional insights. However, I wouldn't use this data for measuring conversions.
I would definitely have ClickTale as a part of analytics toolkit for the online marketing and front-end development team. Many of the insights are subjective, so you need to understand how to interpret them. Do not use this tool to track conversions, rather as a tool that provides directional information.
Read Vishal Maru's full review
Ryan Freeman profile photo
December 20, 2013

User Review: "ClickTale, Not for Everyone"

• Heat Maps (clicks on the webpage).
  • % of web pages Viewed (seen by the person browsing).
  • Watching one recording after another is time consuming and not a large enough sample size for definitive results.
  • Time and resources to use the tool is not worth the investment. Spend your money, time and resources on testing (A/B, multivariate).
  • Tracking tags can slow down your site.
My advice is dependent on what you hope to solve with using a tool like ClickTale. Make sure to keep that in mind as you go about the selection process and ask yourself if this tool will solve our problem and is it worth the money, time, and resource investment. My experience with the ClickTale tool was that we were not first identifying potential issues and using ClickTale to help resolve the issue but rather trying to use ClickTale to both identify and resolve the issues. That made it difficult to find a starting point with all of the data and functionality in the ClickTale tool.
Read Ryan Freeman's full review
Libardo Lambrano profile photo
November 08, 2013

Review: "Clicktale is a great tool to analyze user bahavior"

• We love the feature of recording user sessions, there are few things that analytics never tells you, with clicktale we were able to see ho users interact with our site and we found several issues when analyzing these videos
  • Clicktale does a fantastic job analyzing forms, we can see visually where users were dropping off, and we were able to fix several forms in our site as a consequence
  • Heat maps is another great feature of clicktalke, it helped us identify where users were focusing their attention. These heat maps were very easy to understand
  • We detected some issues when clicktale was analyzing forms. The major issue is that when the form has a drop down menu, if the user open the menu and then navigate with the keyword arrows up and down, clicktale records this as a new interaction every time. I used clicktale more than a year ago, so this issue may have been fix already. At the time that was the case.
Clicktale is very easy to deploy and can visually tells you many stories of things that happen on your site. With clicktale you can discover issues in your site that you had no idea were taking place.
Read Libardo Lambrano's full review
May 14, 2014

Review: "Clicktale - a necessary business resource"

ClickTale is currently being used by our marketing department to analysis features, layout and design for our eCommerce platform. After 2 years in the making we wanted a product that would help us determine if we were meeting the needs of our customers from a UI/UX experience. Clicktale gives us the raw customer interactions that we need to be able to make wise decisions on product updates, and changes.
  • Mouse Mapping - tells us where users commonly click and which process they go through to make a purchase.
  • Scroll Mapping - helps us to see how long we can push content, determine if the content is engaging etc.
  • Recorded Session - being able to watch a customer mouse around the site has given us invaluable insight into how our customers think and act.
  • For most sites I'm sure the integration is quick and easy, however with our site we had some complications with rendering the correct page in the recording and mapping. A technical customer support team to help resolve these issues would have been appreciated.
If you are using an eCommerce site, then ClickTale is invaluable. Planning a large redesign? Designers are often earger to design the latest and greatest, flat, modern, minimalist, simple design. While cool and fun to do, it may be too much for your customers depending on your industry. ClickTale showed us that some of our features were just 'too much' for our older customers to understand.
April 29, 2014

User Review: "The ClickTale Tale"

We use ClickTale to uncover user issues and hangups, to uncover problems with technical aspects of the site, to generate testing hypotheses, to validate UX, and as a starting point to brainstorm new ideas for content, pages, functionality, etc.
  • Account management is superb.
  • Cost is competitive.
  • The interface is very intuitive and easy to learn.
  • It's tough having the account team overseas. They are standing up an American office in summer 2014, but scheduling remains an issue.
Very good for supplementing other analytics technologies to validate results or help to dig deeper into the hows and whys of the numbers that show up in analytics reporting.
May 14, 2014

ClickTale Review: "A Good Product"

I recommended ClickTale to my clients as a way to monitor and improve their PPC campaigns. If they agreed to utilizing ClickTale, I would then assist in managing their account.
  • In-Page web analytics
  • Heat map reporting for landing page testing
  • Comprehensive page reports
  • It's been a while since I used it, so I have no suggestions here.
It was well suited for PPC campaigns - but the client had to have a higher understanding of online marketing in order to see the value and benefit from it.
December 15, 2013

ClickTale Review: "A very cool tracking product."

• Easy implementation
  • Discover UI bugs that you never knew existed
  • Find the particular reason in your conversion flow that is causing leakage
  • We ran into some issues with Clicktale not being able to record some pages but eventually got it working
I'd recommend based on the uniqueness of this type of product. One where you can review a user's experience.

About ClickTale