Kareo Medical Billing Reviews

April 06, 2019

Best for smaller practices

Kareo is used at our practice as a practice management (PM) tool. Kareo is among three different practice management tools that we currently use—each system maintains a different range of patient dates of service. We would use Kareo to schedule patients, manage recalls, bill patient services, manage accounts receivable, etc. The software is used primarily by our billing team, but the majority of the company has experience using the software.
  • Kareo feels like it is a pretty quick tool.
  • The scheduling tool is pretty dang easy to use.
  • This item could show up as a pro/con. They offer an Excel add-in as a tool for building reports. The tool has potential but leaves something to be desired.
  • I've spent hours on the phone discussing various issues with regards to data variance between two different source documents within the software. At one point, I could not reconcile the A/R balance on one of the dashboards to the A/R balance pulled from the Excel add-in. Unfortunately, their support teams were not able to help out with this.
  • The Excel add-in falls short in a few key areas. Specifically, they do not provide a simple method of joining data fields from the "charges," "payments," and "transactions" tables. One is left to attempt to join the data sets via VLOOKUP or INDEX(MATCH).
  • At times, we have had issues with the API providing information that would not tie out to figures reported elsewhere within the software. Unfortunately, their support teams were not able to help out with this.
Kareo is far better suited for smaller companies. Also, it is better suited for a company that is not as keen on seeing their data reconcile perfectly to the practice management software. The product will probably provide an adequate custom reporting tool (via Excel add-in). However, a practice should be well aware that the reporting is all done through the Excel interface and does not provide any aesthetically pleasing dashboards.
Dana Holguin | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 13, 2018

Kareo Practice Management

• Kareo stays up to date on insurance changes which allow for smooth transitions.
  • Kareo asks for feedback and has a place to go and request changes or additions that would make our job easier.
  • I love that you can submit a help ticket or call, if you prefer, with any questions or problems that you may have. They are always very prompt with their follow up.
  • I do like that you can import reports to Excel, unfortunately when you do it reverts everything to text. You have to manually go in and change the format and redo all the formulas. I would like this be more user friendly.
  • I do like the custom report function, however I have never gotten it to work. You have to download an add-in program but it didn't work either.
  • Several patients ask for a summary of charges and amounts paid by them for the year so they can use for tax purposes. The closest report for this does not give a date range as a choice. It only does by case and most cases go through to the new year. I would like to see this as an option. The only report that does have this has way too much info and would be pages and pages long. I can import to Excel but then I have to reformat and update formulas. (See Above)
As a physical therapy group, we are a little different than most doctor and hospital offices. We see patients 2 and 3 times a week for several weeks and then may never see the patient again. So I feel it is a great fit for our clinic.
Read Dana Holguin's full review
Heather Hackworth | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 14, 2018

Kareo is a solid billing system for medical practices!

• The arrangements with clearinghouses make most electronic billing a breeze. Then it automatically drops all paper claims to a pile that makes us able to easier send paper claims.
  • The reports I can run make it easy to zone in on claims that need special attention.
  • I like how I can easily see the open balance on an account when applying a payment so I know if it is good to settle or needs more attention.
  • Kareo support is not the most timely. I have to wait far longer too many days than I should when the occasional problem arises.
  • Kareo does not have a connection with one certain clearing house (Jopari )that would make me able to submit some additional claims electronically.
  • Kareo used to have the ability to have an expected amount for each insurance in a table that let me know instantly if one particular payment paid less than expected. They took away that tool.
If you want to handle claims in the office, Kareo equips you with a lot of tools to manage it well. We run 200 appts a week or less; if we had a bigger clinic I am not sure how it would work. It would probably still be good, we would just need more people to process things.
Read Heather Hackworth's full review
Susan Lee | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 05, 2018

Kareo billing will make you a billion!....well not quite

• As I stated before, Kareo will alert you if you have input something in incorrectly. This saves valuable time in not having claims denied and then having to fix the problem and rebill.
  • Kareo makes it easy to print reports at the end of the year for our clients to use in filing their taxes.
  • It would be nice to be able to understand the rejections on claims a bit better. It sometimes doesn't give us full sentences explaining the rejection.
We are a speech and occupational therapy practice and it is very well suited for us. I previously worked for a family practice and OBGYN practice and I see where the coding part of the software would be highly useful in that type of practice. Kareo keeps track of your most used diagnosis codes.
Read Susan Lee's full review
Michelle Underhill, MA, CCC-SLP | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 05, 2018

Kareo Medical Billing - Even for Those With Zero Billing Experience!

• Customer service
  • Follow-up calls and emails to assess for satisfaction
  • Excellent onboarding
  • The process of gaining ERA status with insurance companies has become a little more tedious since I started 3 years ago.
Well-suited to independent private practices.
Read Michelle Underhill, MA, CCC-SLP's full review
February 16, 2018

Kareo is very user friendly and easy to learn!

• Ease of use, very user friendly.
  • Easy to customize for what reports you need.
  • Easy to see your collections for each month.
  • Customer service isn't the best.
  • Price, our prices continue to go up.
  • Our EMR transfer to Kareo sometimes has problems, requiring re-billing or calling customer service.
It is a good billing program, but for a smaller practice the price continues to rise, so we are looking at combing our billing with our current EMR system WebPT.

Kareo Medical Billing Scorecard Summary

About Kareo Medical Billing

Kareo Medical Billing provides billing solutions to medical offices. It includes: Billing Best Practices, Specialty Expertise and Ongoing Training & Support.