https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/nv/KK/K42F5J56HTMJ.PNGKareo Grand SlamAll office managers in our practice at 4 (soon to be 5) locations use Kareo on a daily basis. We use it to keep track of all our patient information, send out statements and track all transactions by our therapists to the insurance companies. We check on our payments and claims by pulling reports that are very helpful for the data we are needing to do our jobs daily.,Keeps everything in one place and is easy to find what you need. There are different ways to get to the same screen so whatever works for you can be the right way to get the job done. Sends out information for you with the click of a button. Super easy!,It does not auto balance accounts which would be helpful for us when patient's have a credit on one line but then a balance on another line. The reports could be broken down a little more detailed,9,It has helped us keep track of our A/R. We really like that it gives us the number of days on the home screen because we use that as our goal to get work done and get the count down per month.,,Physical therapy / rehab,11-25 practitionersGreat Sales Tactics to sign up. Worst service/enrollment/accessibility or problem solvingI am a physician who owns my own private practice who made the decision to choose Kareo as a "Full-service EHR" as peripherally they appeared to have tech-savvy options offered for marketing, a portal for patients, auto appointment reminders as well as their EHR services for clinical note writing, prescriptions. My office manager uses their billing portion as well for insurance claims. Huge Mistake, tread lightly if making this decision- I had read positive reviews for the most part and decided it would be a "safe" decision and a reliable one. Reliable is the absolute LAST word I would use to describe Kareo.,Text automation for patient confirmation Detailed billing reports,Where to start...for one, during my start-up with a "success coach" and trust me, I use that term broadly, I had to f/u on every single issue that came up. I was told she was taking care of my electronic lab enrollment, after waiting 3 months and reaching out to my success coach, Kayli, countless times, I only was told when contacted by management that my Quest lab access had been denied after 2 weeks because I was never told to independently create my own account with Kareo- after asking/emailing/calling multiple times trying to figure out the process. So needless to say, I have NO electronic lab access 4 months after signing with Kareo and they are now just starting the process. Prescriptions- I had reached out to Kareo, no exaggeration, over 10 times to figure out why I wasn't receiving prescription refills. Spent countless hours on the phone with "support line" that could never give me an answer- to any question. And never f/u either until I directly insisted to my salesperson to have management contact me directly. I had a patient go to the hospital due to not having their medications because apparently their pharmacy had sent refill prescriptions over 3 times which I never received. Only after talking to management, did they look into further and then inform me that I had 3 locations in the system (?? I have ONE location). They were all prior addresses of offices, one from over 4 years ago. To date, again, 4 months after paying a year up front, I can't receive refill requests. And the solution proposed to me by management was to call my prior EHR and request they delete my prior addresses. And I cannot contact my prior EHR because I was in a large group that restricted the account to only 2 individuals in a group of 18 doctors to even have access to talk to them. So I can't resolve the issue, Kareo after 4 months instructs me to call them myself, and the prior EHR doesn't even recognize I had an account with them because it was under a group practice name. Online booking- I thought this would be an amazingly efficient add-on. What they don't tell you is you can only designate "increments" of appointment times. Kareo will tell you it syncs with your existing schedule so that online bookings are only in vacant time slots. I had new patients selecting a time increment of 15 minutes, existing patients selecting 45 minutes (with a deductible) and any increment over 15 minutes (which the patient can select at their own will, being if you choose 15 min increments, it will offer appointment length for 15 min, 30 min, 45 min, 60 min etc with no outline of the appropriate time length) will over-book your schedule. So if you have a 10-10:15 slot, the patient can select a 45 minute appointment that starts at 10 (Because that 15 minute slot is open). But then will overbook the patients at 10:15 and 10:30. It created utter chaos in my practice. My office manager spent more time calling patients to inform them they had booked an inappropriate time increment, they can't book a new appointment for 15 minutes, we don't accept their insurance...the list goes on. There is no way to restrict the increments or who can book an appointment. Messaging- I can't view what incoming messages from patients are sent to whom. And neither can my office manager. And the patient gets to select who to sent the message to, either the "provider" or "location." And 9 times out of 10 they send to the "provider." So as a physician, I am inundated with patient messages simply wanting to book a new appointment or reschedule. As a physician, obviously prioritizing my time is important and my office manager can't view these messages. The list goes on, unfortunately. "A/R" reports only allow them to calculate a theoretical A/R based on your self-pay rates to patients, not individual contracted rates with insurances. So my A/R has an inflated number, which I can't even quantify by how much, because the A/R is based as if every insurance patient paid as a self-pay patient. Seriously, no one thought this through? Can't send multiple controlled scripts at once electronically. Have to enter, go to separate site, enter code, be redirected back to KAreo then re-enter another med, be redirected to separate site, enter code, be redirected...Any other EHR I've ever used (and I've used around 6 between residency and private practice) you could enter multiple Rx, but then check the meds you wanted to send and then enter ONE code for, say, 2 controlled scripts. Kareo, you must enter separate codes one by one. I could go on but will choose to hope for all reading, you get the general point...,1,Patient hospitalized because their pharmacy had tried multiple times to reach me by sending electronic requests which were never received. Still can't even send an electronic lab. Patient portal messages go unread, as Kareo doesn't even just send a basic email message stating "you have a message to view in patient portal." So I ended up creating a separate message and typing the above phrase and emailing them on my own- could so easily be automated. Incompetent enrollment assistance Positive- appointment confirmation is convenient, you can select text, email or phone call (or any combination of those) according to personal patient preference and auto-updates your schedule. Positive- has copy forward note capability and text expansion,,Mental and behavioral health,Solo practiceYou want to make $$Kareo PM makes our money. This is no joke. We are fully invested in Kareo and its uses. We love the billing portion. It is honestly the best system I have used in years. Fancy is not always better. Simplicity at its finest with Kareo. 100% satisfied. Nothing compares and I have used a lot of systems.,Insurance verification Quick claim rejection edits Easy ERA posting,Faster response to simple issues we have Be able to chat online when we have a problem, simpler for our management. Customized templates would be nice,10,Kareo pays for itself. Price is worth every penny Statements produce quick payments TIme management has increased,NextGen Healthcare Practice Management,Dropbox Business, Practice Fusion, Microsoft Exchange,Internal medicine,2-5 practitionersThe Kareo Platform totally rocks!As a billing company, we use the Kareo PM to process claims for all of our medical clients. The Kareo platform is a fully integrated system which makes it easy to receive claim information from our clients from the Kareo EHR. This allows us to quickly and efficiently process claims. The PM has all diagnosis codes loaded into it which really assists with coding. Clearinghouse integration makes it easy to submit claims, receive ERAs and auto-posting of payments.,Electronic eligibility checks makes checking coverage a snap. Kareo is easy to configure and navigate. The ability to open multiple windows is great, and allows billers to move around to different areas of the software with minimal clicking. Kareo has powerful reporting. The ability to run a variety of reports on demand is great. There are a number of predefined reports that can be further configured by the user, and Kareo makes available an Excel plugin that can produce additional types of reports if needed.,I would like to see Kareo add the ability to print messages from the secure, built in messaging system. Having a way to shorten the CPT or DX codes on the superbill would be great. Currently, the descriptions frequently exceed the column width depending on the length of the text description. There's a current bug that causes the user account screen to refresh, and/or creates an error message. Reopening the window usually fixes the problem but this needs to be fixed.,10,The Kareo platform is very fairly priced for the functionality it provides. It offers more and is very affordable compared to other platforms. Kareo allows our employees to work efficiently. This reduces overhead by limiting the amount of time and effort to manage our customers' accounts. Kareo allows for powerful and accurate reporting. This allows us to properly invoice our clients, and provide them with the information they need for their accounting records.,,RingCentral, Microsoft Office 365, QuickBooks Pro,Multi-specialty,11-25 practitionersKareo ReviewKareo is being used in our office for billing and scheduling. It has a lot of reports to print that really helps. Everyone uses it.,Makes Scheduling easy Posting payments are simple Appointment call Reminders,The call remind doesn’t say what office it’s from.,9,medical manager,Family medicine,Solo practice
Windows, Mac
Kareo Practice Management

Kareo Practice Management Reviews

Kareo Practice Management
Filter 7 vetted Kareo Practice Management reviews and ratings
Alysha De Leon profile photo
September 21, 2018

Kareo Practice Management Review: "Kareo Grand Slam"

• Keeps everything in one place and is easy to find what you need.
  • There are different ways to get to the same screen so whatever works for you can be the right way to get the job done.
  • Sends out information for you with the click of a button. Super easy!
  • It does not auto balance accounts which would be helpful for us when patient's have a credit on one line but then a balance on another line.
  • The reports could be broken down a little more detailed
Overall, I like using Kareo and it is very user friendly but it could use a few modifications on the points I have mentioned. They could also have more training like webinars to keep us users up to date when they add new features. Most of the time we come across useful items by accident but once we know about them we use them to our advantage.
Read Alysha De Leon's full review
Ashley Toutounchi, MD profile photo
January 10, 2018

Kareo Practice Management Review: "Great Sales Tactics to sign up. Worst service/enrollment/accessibility or problem solving"

• Text automation for patient confirmation
  • Detailed billing reports
  • Where to start...for one, during my start-up with a "success coach" and trust me, I use that term broadly, I had to f/u on every single issue that came up. I was told she was taking care of my electronic lab enrollment, after waiting 3 months and reaching out to my success coach, Kayli, countless times, I only was told when contacted by management that my Quest lab access had been denied after 2 weeks because I was never told to independently create my own account with Kareo- after asking/emailing/calling multiple times trying to figure out the process. So needless to say, I have NO electronic lab access 4 months after signing with Kareo and they are now just starting the process.
  • Prescriptions- I had reached out to Kareo, no exaggeration, over 10 times to figure out why I wasn't receiving prescription refills. Spent countless hours on the phone with "support line" that could never give me an answer- to any question. And never f/u either until I directly insisted to my salesperson to have management contact me directly. I had a patient go to the hospital due to not having their medications because apparently their pharmacy had sent refill prescriptions over 3 times which I never received. Only after talking to management, did they look into further and then inform me that I had 3 locations in the system (?? I have ONE location). They were all prior addresses of offices, one from over 4 years ago. To date, again, 4 months after paying a year up front, I can't receive refill requests. And the solution proposed to me by management was to call my prior EHR and request they delete my prior addresses. And I cannot contact my prior EHR because I was in a large group that restricted the account to only 2 individuals in a group of 18 doctors to even have access to talk to them. So I can't resolve the issue, Kareo after 4 months instructs me to call them myself, and the prior EHR doesn't even recognize I had an account with them because it was under a group practice name.
  • Online booking- I thought this would be an amazingly efficient add-on. What they don't tell you is you can only designate "increments" of appointment times. Kareo will tell you it syncs with your existing schedule so that online bookings are only in vacant time slots. I had new patients selecting a time increment of 15 minutes, existing patients selecting 45 minutes (with a deductible) and any increment over 15 minutes (which the patient can select at their own will, being if you choose 15 min increments, it will offer appointment length for 15 min, 30 min, 45 min, 60 min etc with no outline of the appropriate time length) will over-book your schedule. So if you have a 10-10:15 slot, the patient can select a 45 minute appointment that starts at 10 (Because that 15 minute slot is open). But then will overbook the patients at 10:15 and 10:30.
  • It created utter chaos in my practice. My office manager spent more time calling patients to inform them they had booked an inappropriate time increment, they can't book a new appointment for 15 minutes, we don't accept their insurance...the list goes on.
  • There is no way to restrict the increments or who can book an appointment.
  • Messaging- I can't view what incoming messages from patients are sent to whom. And neither can my office manager. And the patient gets to select who to sent the message to, either the "provider" or "location." And 9 times out of 10 they send to the "provider." So as a physician, I am inundated with patient messages simply wanting to book a new appointment or reschedule. As a physician, obviously prioritizing my time is important and my office manager can't view these messages.
  • The list goes on, unfortunately. "A/R" reports only allow them to calculate a theoretical A/R based on your self-pay rates to patients, not individual contracted rates with insurances. So my A/R has an inflated number, which I can't even quantify by how much, because the A/R is based as if every insurance patient paid as a self-pay patient. Seriously, no one thought this through?
  • Can't send multiple controlled scripts at once electronically. Have to enter, go to separate site, enter code, be redirected back to KAreo then re-enter another med, be redirected to separate site, enter code, be redirected...Any other EHR I've ever used (and I've used around 6 between residency and private practice) you could enter multiple Rx, but then check the meds you wanted to send and then enter ONE code for, say, 2 controlled scripts. Kareo, you must enter separate codes one by one.
  • I could go on but will choose to hope for all reading, you get the general point...
I can't imagine who it is appropriate for- unless you could care less if you get prescription refill requests from pharmacies, send portal messages to patients but they have no clue they have a new message to read. It's not ideal for large or small practices. Allow them to overbook your schedule with "new patients" that are on insurance plans you don't even accept for a 15 minute time interval...So if this the flow of your practice- this is the EHR for you. Otherwise, steer clear.
Read Ashley Toutounchi, MD's full review
Lynn Reeves Hill profile photo
February 02, 2018

Kareo Practice Management Review: "You want to make $$"

• Insurance verification
  • Quick claim rejection edits
  • Easy ERA posting
  • Faster response to simple issues we have
  • Be able to chat online when we have a problem, simpler for our management.
  • Customized templates would be nice
Kareo is a blessing for our office. We have made more $$ since switching to Kareo then any other software combined. It is actually one of the best systems we have worked in. Reports are easy to read and review. We have success in patient collections which is our major downfall.
Read Lynn Reeves Hill's full review
Kevin McBride, PTA, CHMSP profile photo
January 05, 2018

Kareo Practice Management Review: "The Kareo Platform totally rocks!"

• Electronic eligibility checks makes checking coverage a snap.
  • Kareo is easy to configure and navigate. The ability to open multiple windows is great, and allows billers to move around to different areas of the software with minimal clicking.
  • Kareo has powerful reporting. The ability to run a variety of reports on demand is great. There are a number of predefined reports that can be further configured by the user, and Kareo makes available an Excel plugin that can produce additional types of reports if needed.
  • I would like to see Kareo add the ability to print messages from the secure, built in messaging system.
  • Having a way to shorten the CPT or DX codes on the superbill would be great. Currently, the descriptions frequently exceed the column width depending on the length of the text description.
  • There's a current bug that causes the user account screen to refresh, and/or creates an error message. Reopening the window usually fixes the problem but this needs to be fixed.
Kareo works great for small or large practices. It supports multiple providers and/or services locations. Kareo works well regardless of the specialty. The interface is easy to use and navigate, and it's the preferred platform for our billing staff. From front end scheduling to back end billing, every aspect of the software allows the user to quickly and efficiently perform their duties.
Read Kevin McBride, PTA, CHMSP's full review
Jason-Tina Brewster profile photo
February 01, 2018

Kareo Practice Management: "Kareo Review"

• Makes Scheduling easy
  • Posting payments are simple
  • Appointment call Reminders
  • The call remind doesn’t say what office it’s from.
Running reports such as schedules, posted payments and statements
Read Jason-Tina Brewster's full review
Kristy Gallant profile photo
March 19, 2015

Kareo Practice Management Review: "Wonderful Software for all size practices!"

• Customer Service! They have always had an answer to any of my questions before exiting a phone call.
  • Clearing house reports are very detailed. They give me the answers to denied claims without having to make a phone call.
  • Reports are easy to read and maneuver through. Everything is easily accessible.
  • We have had times where claims have been rejected or simply never made it to clearing house when there is a "glitch". (Hasn't happened recently)
  • Could not use Kareo temporarily (12+ hrs), had to uninstall and reinstall program in order to fix issue.
  • I am not familiar with any other EHR software, cannot compare Kareo to other reports.
Depending on the practice you are with, does the software have every report that you are looking for? It is always good to compare. We use QuickBooks for some reports that Kareo does not provide, but for the most part Kareo has everything that our practice needs. My boss enjoys seeing the ratio of procedure codes we are billing as well as how many clients are billed under which insurance.
Read Kristy Gallant's full review

Kareo Practice Management Scorecard Summary

Real-time eligibility verification (6)
Claims management (6)
Coding (5)
Patient billing (6)
Financial Reporting (6)
Rule-based scheduling (6)
6.1
Automated appointment reminders (6)
Automated patient check-in (3)
6.2
Multi-location support (3)
9.2
Calendar interface (5)
Charting / document management (6)
Templates (6)
Patient portal (3)
Mobile/tablet support (3)
Fax integration (3)
Integration with other EMR and PM systems (5)
Workflow automation (5)
Speech recognition (2)
9.5
Customization (5)
E-prescribing (4)
HIPPA compliance (6)
Role-based permission levels (6)
Data backups and redundancy (6)
Local mode / networking failsafe (1)
Task tracking (6)
Specialty-specific workflows (5)
Multi-office / multi-physician capabilities (3)
9.7

About Kareo Practice Management

Kareo Practice Management provides cloud-based management and billing solutions for small medical offices. Some key features include: Complete Patient Management, Powerful Scheduler & Patient Reminders, Insurance Billing & Reporting, and Robust Patient Billing & Collections.

Kareo Practice Management Features

Has featureComprehensive Dashboard
Has featureSecure Messaging System
Has featureICD-10 Ready

Kareo Practice Management Integrations

Demandforce, ChartLogic EMR, Practice Fusion, WebPT, ZocDoc, MDTech, Nexus Clinical, Medicfusion, Amazing Charts, Falcon Physician, digiChart, Integrity Digital Solutions, Iron Mountain

Kareo Practice Management Competitors