Reviews (1-5 of 5)
February 22, 2020
Splunk Light is being used by our Operational and Maintenance team for transaction logging and event monitoring. It was the right solution for our organization since our IT internal policy stipulates that any solution which interacts with our subscriber's activity data must be deployed on-premise. Moreover, since we only have a handful of O&M team, Splunk Light is a lot more convenient to deploy and manage.
Read Johanes Siregar's full review
Splunk Light is perfect to be used by a small organization or a team within a large organization with internal IT policy which required any solution must be deployed within the organization's premise. It performs very well for event log monitoring and alerting purpose. It is also relatively quick to deploy and easy to manage.
December 17, 2018
Currently we use it for compliance purposes. As per the policy we are required to maintain a record of authentication, authorization, and other security and audit logs surrounding the scope of the compliance. We are currently using Splunk Light to meet these compliance needs. Our auditor has been very pleased with the results of the reports we were able to generate using Splunk Light. We also use it to proactively fix issues that arise like locked AD, RSA, and other accounts that are being monitored.
- Indexing Logs
- Powerful Searching features
- Alerting us of very detailed alerts
- Custom indexing options
- Splunk Light does not scale very well
- Need to purchase Splunk Enterprise if you ever wish to use 3rd-party applications
- Very Basic. I wish Splunk Light came with a bit more capabilities out of the box
Read Brandon Holbrook's full review
Splunk Light is well suited to check off a compliance box for a central log repository and or basic searching of those logs and basic alerting of events you want to monitor. Splunk Light has helped us be proactive with locked accounts. Most of the time our users don't even know they are locked out when we call them to fix the problem.
March 15, 2019
Score 6 out of 10
We installed Splunk Light to get our feet wet with centralized log management. The primary use was in our network and security department. Splunk Light allowed us to quickly and easily search across all of our device logs, as well as gave us the ability to correlate log entries between machines. It also helped us satisfy our compliance requirements for logging.
- Monitoring and Alerting: Creating custom actions based on log entries was the largest unexpected bonus for us. While we had other software configured to do this job Splunk was easy to implement and could be managed by a larger number of our team members.
- Cross-Device Analysis: Seeing data from all of your devices in one location makes following event chains much easier.
- Vendor Specific Add-ons: There is a large library of vendor-specific add-ons for the software allowing for automatic formatting and action for certain types of logs, greatly reducing the man-hours required to get started.
- Splunk Light doesn't include the ability to create data models or tables without paying for a large upgrade. This is a rather basic feature, I wish it had been included.
- High Availability is another basic feature that is excluded, greatly limiting Splunk Light's usefulness.
Read this authenticated review
Splunk Light is highly useful for smaller companies without regulatory requirements for logging of data. It has all of the main features required for basic troubleshooting and log retention for internal use. Splunk Light is not a good fit for large deployments as it's not capable of high availability, data modeling, SSO, or clustering will cause issues.
March 02, 2018
Splunk Light is used by the engineering team. The main use case it targets - is proactive log monitoring. We wanted to integrate a system, which does log monitoring(application + system logs) and send us alerts if the system identifies errors or warning. Additionally, the solution needed to be HIPAA compliant. So instead of Splunk Enterprise or Splunk Cloud, we ended up choosing Splunk Light, as we can manage the infra on our own.
- Real-time + Scheduled alerts - i-e you can set up alerts which are actively monitoring your logs
- Pretty good response time for search results. With our key/value logging, Splunk makes it blazing fast to query the data.
- Dashboards provide insights into historical data
- Love how Splunk indexes all of the data and provides keys to search on
- Splunk light limits number of users to 5. Wish there was a flexible license, where one could add more users.
- Splunk light does not let you add > few realtime alerts. Wish there was a flexible license, where one could add as many realtime alerts as wanted.
- Better insight into daily ingestion values
Read Pooja Gada's full review
Splunk light is awesome for anyone wanting to do proactive monitoring. It is also really well suited for insights into data with dashboards. Splunk light might not be a great choice if you do not want to manage the infrastructure on your own.
We have used splunk light in the past for log analysis of Cisco routers, firewalls and switches to determine path issues. This was mainly used within the network infrastructure group. The alerting was the main benefit when trying to determine intruder detection and the path the intruder was trying to take.
- Though it was a little hard at first, creating the dashboards from the raw data became the big benefit.
- Setup of alerts was, again a little confusing but over time with the real time alert became useful.
- The building of dashboards for the security team for tracking intruders.
- The big one is writing the dashboards based off the raw data.
Read this authenticated review
The path detection was very useful when an intruder tried to break in our firewalls. Being PCI compliant, a breach within our PCI environment would be dangerous to our customers as well as our day to day business. The real time alert allowed us to monitor and prevent intrusion on the fly.
Splunk Light Scorecard Summary
About Splunk Light
Splunk Light is the lightweight log search and analysis tool for small IT environments.
Categories: Log Management
Splunk Light Technical Details