Box.net is great!
April 18, 2016
Box.net is great!
Score 8 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Box
We use Box for sharing files department only corporate wide. It's mostly used in the communications department, but is also used for project management and sharing with others in the corporation. It's also used to address a lot of issues, primarily it allows for revisiting in commenting, it's a lot more efficient than using email.
- Box works particularly well with graphic design projects, and having multiple proofs.
- It works well with communication, so you don't get trapped in reply all emails.
- It's great to have everything in the cloud, so that the files are cesspool at all times, versus having them on the local server at the office which is hard to access.
- Little things with cloud computing, it has its little quirks. The desktop app could be better, would love to see it more like Dropbox.
- It's never fun to pay for these kinds of things, it would be nice if Box was a little cheaper for an organization.
- It would be nice of Box [to have] it's own document editor like Google Drive, rather than having to do with proprietary Microsoft Word software.
- Boxes of the organization with communication and better sharing of content, this way we are duplicating the same working on being more efficient.
- Well there's a fixed cost free product, I would say that it's definitely worth it in efficiency time and money.
- The only confusion people have is when using Box versus email, but this is when people don't really understand how cloud computing works or file services like Box.
I use a number of cloud computing file storage products in my day-to-day work, and I would say that Box does a really good job with the commenting in revision and functionality. It's great when working with other people and sharing files that can't be a live online, such as Photoshop, Illustrator, and Design, and any other proprietary Adobe files.
Like a lot of cloud storage, it works really well for any kind of project where multiple people are working on the same file in a Word document. The commenting and social features really help with the project management side of things; I work in advertising and marketing and it does a great job in that field.
Box Feature Ratings
15 - Box primarily used for the communications department and working with design files, commenting on this, sharing proofs, and file revisioning,
1 - Basically it involves helping people understand the new paradigm shift that is cloud computing and sharing information files in this way. People are very stuck in their old ways with email and have a very hard time adjusting to a different world that doesn't rely on email as much.
- It's helped quite a bit with email chains in having less reply all conversations.
- It's allowed for processes in cues to be followed.
- It's been cool to see people get an understanding. I am [seeing the] shift the cloud-based file storage allows, and it's been cool to see people get on board with it.
- I love to see it used across the board organizationally, and I would think it would help things be way more efficient.
- I would love to see it eventually replace email.
- It would even be great to use it for internal documentation such as human resources and other things that are stored on the local server.
Evaluating Box and Competitors
- Product Features
- Product Usability
- Product Reputation
The most important thing built into the decision were the features and usability of the product, primarily for commenting on files and file re-visioning.
Change management was minimal - Didn't really have any big problems with this, it's very easy to do organizationally, because I was only doing it and just my department. I also have a pretty hands-off IT department which helps, they were jerks about it.
The in person training was done in house and I helped with the training, people seem to respond well.
The tutorials on their website are great, I think anybody can pick this up if they actually just watch the tutorials. The hard part is getting people to watch them!
I think the product is perfect for what it is, doesn't really need a whole lot of configuration for sharing files and commenting on them.
The one time I had to contact support everything went well. It was to get a nonprofit discount and they were very helpful and supportive with my request.
Problems get solved
No escalation required
Immediate help available
Support understands my problem
Support cares about my success
It's super easy to use and is very obvious to the user. Anyone who is used to using modern apps should have no problem using box.net.
Like to use
Easy to use
Technical support not required
Feel confident using
- The commenting functions are very good.
- Revisioning functionality is very easy to use.
- The UI is awesome.
Yeah, it's always worked, I've never had any kind of connection issues, the only issues I've had it I've been on our end when the Internet hasn't worked.
It was super easy to use, I was able to use Microsoft Word without a hitch.
- I've used it with Microsoft Word documents and it's worked well.
It was super easy, no issues whatsoever.
Relationship with Box
I think they provide all the information you need to make a good decision on the purchase of the product.
They were great, the product works very well and I've had no issues, so I haven't really had to deal with them.
The only terms that I was looking for was a nonprofit discount and I was able to secure a small discount.
- They're always making the product a little better, and I've been happy with all of those changes.
- I'm not really expecting anything in the future, I imagine they will just make the product better.