Blender

It has everything for everyone

December 24, 2021

Open source Tool

November 29, 2021

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Blender, and make your voice heard!

Blender Cloud Membership

per month

What is Blender?

Blender is a free and open source 3D creation suite available in under the GNU General Public License. It supports the entirety of the 3D pipeline—modeling, rigging, animation, simulation, rendering, compositing and motion tracking, video editing and 2D animation pipeline.

Blender Cloud is a related service accessible via subscription, and is a training and content platform providing access to expertise from the Blender Institute for advancing one's use of Blender.

Blender Technical Details

Deployment TypesOn-premise, SaaS
Operating SystemsWindows, Linux, Mac, SteamOS

Blender is a wonderful tool if you work around 3D modelling or sculpting. I used blender for creating 3D models of different products for videos and content for Social Media. All features around 3D modelling are inbuild in blender and you also have the option to add additional plug-ins if you need external ones. Blender can be a bit intimidating for begineers who have no idea regarding 3D modelling tools and terms.<br>
  • 3D modelling
  • Sculpting and character creation/Modelling
  • Animation, 3D animation
  • The UI, it can get really intimidating for first time users.
Blender is perfectly suited for 3D modelling and animation with characters. Sculpting can get difficult in blender keeping in mind the tools in hand.
November 29, 2021

Open source Tool

Mahmoud obaid | TrustRadius Reviewer
Basically, since I am a mechanical engineer, we use CFD which requires to design a model showing all its dimensions, initial conditions, forces that are impacting it, ..etc. Using blinder becomes very useful to us while creating these models, so what we normally do, create our model using CAD software “ Revit, AutoCAD” then export it to a readable format and import it in Blender, now Blender will help us create meshes “ term used while before processing CFD” with the needed dimensions “ accuracy “ whether to make it fine or coarse.
  • Creating meshes that would be used for post process for CFD.
  • Split any object to a certain number of elements in order to proceed with creating meshes.
  • Export your model to different formats which is very convenient since you are planning to use it afterwards.
  • I would recommend to include trouble shooting icon to identify any issue would face the designer.
  • If possible to make this program as a compact software. What I mean is instead for me “ as a engineer “ to use another software to process the elements exported from Blender, why not adding a tool in blender to do this task instead.
Being open-source & free is very convenient for any designer or modeler since you can use it in various ways. Not only engineers who are using this software but also animators and this is considered as big plus to this software. Personally, I use Blender as preprocess CFD tool where u can directly can create meshes with any needed dimensions and numbers then export them with any format but on the other hand, sometimes blinder tends to have issues while creating these meshes such as showing error messages and you cant tell we’re exactly the problem is hence taking a lot of time for troubleshooting.
I use a [Blender] to increase my digital media capabilities. I mainly use 3D modeling tools. Will be using the final production in digital media. I have a passion for design and this is an outlet to explore my passion without making a career change. I hope to all proficiency in 3D modeling to my capabilities. I mainly use it as a learning medium at the moment.
  • Providing an array of tools[.]
  • Providing free printed tutorials[.]
  • The program can be downloaded free of charge[.]
  • The interface is simple and you can save your projects easily[.]
  • It is a big program and requires large computer ram[.]
  • I would enjoy more video tutorials[.]
  • Making labels and buttons easier to find for new users[.]
Blender is well suited for character design from scratch. Designing any element from scratch is what blender is ideal for. Creating 3d animation and 2d background. You can test out different animations on a scene in a blender. If you a trying to design a full-on scene and 3d characters in one project it can get quite slow to render and load.
While we mostly use Blender for 3D modeling, remodeling, and texturing purposes, we also occasionally use it to create simple animations (character breathing, wind effect on trees, spinning animations such as wheels or windmills). The software is also used to create simple graphic designs, with or without a 3D effect, albeit rarely.
  • 3D Modeling
  • Texturing
  • Graphics creation
  • Simple animations
  • Moving from 2.7X to 2.8X was somewhat challenging since the entire UI had changed.
  • Not as intuitive as other alternatives for more detailed animations.
  • Steep learning curve for detailed texturing.
Blender has been an amazing tool for the creation of new models for our games, be it characters, enemies, buildings, or equipment (weapons, armor, accessories), and continues to be our go-to software to meet these needs. Detailed animations are however challenging to create with the current setup/UI it provides.
Salomi Rai | TrustRadius Reviewer
Blender is a free and open-source platform so it's a great choice for students and freelancers. Blender has all 3D features like animation, modeling, texturing, rigging, sculpting, and rendering but we mainly use blender for modeling and sculpting. Like all the other software, it takes little time to learn the UI.
  • free and open source platform
  • great software for modeling and sculpting
  • we can export blender file into any other file format
  • render with GPU
  • slow viewport performance sometimes
  • many features in one software makes it little complicated
If you are a new 3D artist, Blender is a perfect choice. It's free and has every 3D feature you need. In my opinion, Blender is great for modeling and sculpting compared to animation. personally, I feel a little uncomfortable animating in Blender so I only use bender for modeling and sculpting.
Aniket Kumar Chaudhary | TrustRadius Reviewer

Blender 3D makes it possible for you to perform a wide range of tasks in one place. When entering the software for the first time, it can be overwhelming to understand the basic concepts and features. However, with a bit of motivation and an official tutorial, it is possible to become familiar with Blender3D after several hours of practice.

The most prominent artists do not create masterpieces by pressing a magic button or just manipulating brushes. Still, learning and practicing topics such as composition, lighting, animation principles, etc., will make a perfect design. After all, it's a tool, and you have to learn it.

Blender 3D software has additional technical complexity and jargon. Terms like UV maps, materials, shaders, meshes, and subdivisions are the means of the digital artist, and understanding them in general terms will help you use Blender and get the most out of it.

• It is a totally free and open-source platform. Made for beginner animators.
  • The interactive game features like collision detection, dynamic re-enactments, and logic.
  • Blender accepts graphic formats such as TGA, JPG, IRIS, HDRI, or TIFF. It can also read Inventor files.
  • Integrated 3D game engine with a logic brick system. For more control, Python programming is used.
  • It includes Inverse Kinematics, Grid Strains, Load Vertices, and Static and Dynamic Particles.
  • Tough to learn. Beginners may be overwhelmed by its jargons full of shortcut keys. It has a lot of features to learn.
  • It slows in an AMD processor with 4GB RAM.
  • I can't find more cons about Blender, but new users may [be] confuse[d] due to its tricky layout.
Blender is one of the best software focused mainly on modeling, lighting control, rendering, animation, and 3D graphics. This software is completely free and open-source, and it is more than at the level of other similar alternatives within the professional field. Some movies such as Coffee Run (2020), Spring (2019), and movie studios (like Marvel) have used it to animate and process their films and effects. The only issue is that it slows down the PC sometimes.
We use Blender for the 3D models that we then turn into mockups. Blender is great because it allows us to get great quality lighting and textures without having to pay anything. Blender is truly a high-quality, easy-to-use 3D modeling and rendering software and the entire office picked it up quickly because of it.
  • 3D modeling
  • 3D animation
  • Live preview
  • Better output settings
  • More add-ons
  • Simplified render settings
Blender is an excellent program for anyone looking to learn 3D modeling or even animation. Blender not only makes learning how to do 3D modeling easier, but it is also absolutely free. You will not find a better program for your 3D workflow than Blender, especially not a program that is also for free.
We use Blender for product renders when we want to create something surreal but realistic. We currently use Blender in our creative department, no business problems. We LOVE Blender
  • Quick export renders using Eevee
  • Super realistic renders when adding light or when objects are created to match the products
  • Very fast moving objects around and applying modifiers
  • Honestly Blender makes improvements with software updates weekly if not monthly and I love that
I always recommend Blender. Not only its easy to use and the return on investment is fast and cheap since the software is free and the community is super great and helpful. I always sell Blender to other designers as if I work for Blender