KeePass

KeePass Reviews

Do you work for this company? Learn how we help vendors

Ratings and Reviews

KeePass is being used as a secure password management database for all management staff across the organization.
It helps securely store user credentials without relying on the cloud and is heavily trusted for its many security features.
We like that everything is local and it has its own app on Windows and Android and isn't web-based.
  • Password Security
  • Optimized and Fast to Use
  • Ease of Password Entry
  • No User Based Management
  • No Online Sync Without Plug-Ins
  • Interface Can be Modernized
It's suited for a company that required a great password management solution for upper-level management and very trusted users.
Might not be the best for high turnover employees and requires IT to set up, normal users may have trouble setting it up for the 1st time.
Only one database can be used across a group, if you need tiered access for different levels of logins, this might not be the best.
It is used by different departments where administrators need to operate for several customers with different users. Because of security reasons we have to change our password very often. No administrator is able to recall so many different passwords for so many different clients. And the requirement of our clients is a very high level of security.
  • central password for a large password store
  • sharing of password databases within a team
  • automation of entering difficult user/password combinations
  • generation of high level passwords
  • scripting for specific tasks in forms
  • auto-type does not work with specific login dialogs like Pulse Secure
Compared to the password management in the Firefox browser, Keepass is using a separate database. This database can be backed up separately, stored on a USB stick or something similar. If you have to set up a new Computer, you can use your database easily. I also use KeePass for storing comments to my users (online shopping) in order to remind me of particular information regarding the single online stores. Using KeePass for online shopping makes it easy to create a unique user and password for each online shop. And you can set an expiry date for your password and KeePass reminds you to create a new password.
July 27, 2021

Great product

KeePass is used by several operation teams. We store [passwords] for all our internal services there. Databases, ElasticSearch, AWS accounts, etc. We store the [KeePass] file in GIT.
  • The usability of the saving and storing the password
  • The fact that it is open
  • Security of the solution
  • There is no native package for MAC
  • Interface is a bit outdated
  • Not possible to store prem files
[KeePass is] a perfect solution for storing password for services there. The password storage is very well organized and suitable for sharing them between people within the team. When it's related to sharing with larger group of people is not that appropriate.
KeePass is one of those tools you need if you manage more than 1 account. I find it invaluable for managing and maintaining a variety of online accounts. All of my passwords are randomly generated and stored where I can easily access them anytime/anywhere.

I have been using it for more than 8 years, on the recommendation of the CIO at a client company. I use it on all of my devices. [In my opinion], I am happy to buy a beer or two for the developer each year. I recommend it highly.
  • generates unique passwords of any length
  • easy to use
  • works on all of my devices
  • android version could allow more suggested combinations for sites where users have access under multiple usernames
  • search by icon
This is a great password vault, stored "locally" and synchronized across platforms.
We are using KeePass across our organization as an alternative password manager. We have the master database setup on a server and have the clients access it via the synchronize method. This allows all users to access the passwords yet only have to keep 1 database file. We also have different users with their own KeePass file for their own personal passwords. Both options keep passwords stored in an encrypted file so they are only accessible by users that have the correct password.
  • Encrypted database of password
  • No cost
  • No easy way to manage access for multiple users
  • No built-in OTP generator
  • No built-in browser extension
[KeePass] works extremely well for personal work passwords and personal-use passwords for home. It allows users to remember 1 single complex password in order to gain access to the entire database of passwords. It doesn't work so well if you want to sync passwords to multiple devices such as your computer or phone. It can be done, but it's not simple.
Well KeePass is used for maintaining passwords stored securely in one place. We use it for keeping in mind password used sometimes, for example for partners internet sites or account that needs an authentication "not for all". We share the login in the app password in the technical department, In a business phone hidden in the office, only a few people know it and we sync 2 or 3 times a year the application on a tech laptop. With this method, all the technicians can have all the passwords needed to work also when the colleague is out.
  • Remember passwords
  • Keep encrypted some informations
  • Sync in all the devices
  • The interface is not very appealing
  • It will be useful a web interface
  • The mobile app is not so easy to understand
  • Is not an application for all, I had to explain with accuracy to some customers
KeePass is good in small businesses or in a specific department.
I think maybe is not the right choice for a big amount of information. If you have to share but protect quick info, like passwords or encrypted methods to do a job. Well, that's the best app I found in the app stores.
KeePass has been an amazing tool since the very first time I open it, we need to manage different accounts for different institutions, and KeePass help us to store and safely retrieve back the different credentials. It has been the easiest tool to backup a database with passwords. I love the fact we can have a master password that secures your KeePass database.
  • Using Ctrl+U let's you run commands instead of an URL
  • Personalize your entries with icons.
  • Group your password by client or whatever you need.
  • I'd love to sort my passwords by creation date.
This is the best tool I've used so far that is out there and it's completely free to use, so it has great value. You'd love this tool if you a number of credentials, on the other hand, if you have just a few and don't care about changing your password or only use 1 master password this tool is not for you.
This is used throughout the whole company. If people are using many applications with different accounts and passwords, we recommended they use a password vault instead of using the same password or writing them down on paper.
  • Saving Passwords and Accounts
  • Generating Passwords
  • Alert User about expiring passwords
  • A short assistant for start would be useful
  • For good work, there are to much settings to do, before start
  • The Design is a bit outdated
It's a small application. It can also be used on all Platforms. A really good function is to synchronize the password vault with your Smartphone. So You have your Accounts always with You.

It's also really useful if you need to create new passwords because you can define which characters are recommended.

What can be better is the Design. This is a bit outdated I think
There are also so many settings to start. A short Assistant with the most important settings would be very useful.
Used to:
1. Store the application passwords
2. Store securely websites passwords
3. Store securely notes for websites, applications, solutions
4. Have a unified, single, synchronized solution for storing passwords, notes that can be used individually and in teams.
5. The application is used across the company and by different teams.
  • Securing passwords
  • Securing Notes
  • Securing the access to the app
  • Auto Fill the passwords for Websites
  • Cloud synchronization
Solid product for usage but should be backed often.
If a backup is missing and the config changed, it can be difficult to recover.
This can be accomplished by saving the file to a Cloud storage as OneDrive or GDrive or any company DFS solution.
Overall free and easy to use solution.
Sam Livermore, MCP, iTIL | TrustRadius Reviewer
We utilize KeePass as a credential manager for all of our users. We include this in our approved application bundle for all of our images and have provided a how to guide to all new users to get them familiar with managing their login credentials. The easy to use interface, and ability to save the database file to our network so it can be backed up makes this an easy win for our IT team.
  • Ease of use.
  • Simple format.
  • Ability to scale to any end user's needs.
  • Updates too frequently causing versioning in install base.
  • No new features in last 2 years.
  • Would like to centrally manage all user files.
Great entry point for users new to managing their passwords. Like the ease of use, ability to group into categories and provide updates. We implement this to all new users in our organization so they have a tool to manage the access to out internal and external systems. Once this deployed in our corporate image, we saw a reduction in password tickets to our helpdesk. Providing our end users with a tool to manage their credentials was a win-win for IT.
I have not had to use the support, but gave a high rating as all my experiences have been favorable. I can only imaging that the support measures up to the product.
The KeePass application is being used primarily by our Information Technology department. There are a few other users in the organization that use the application, but it is almost exclusively being used by IT. This application helps us to keep track of the numerous random passwords that we have set up for Service accounts (and other account purposes).
  • KeePass offers us a simple to use interface to store our passwords in a centralized location.
  • I particularly like the fact that it allows you to obfuscate the username/password.
  • The feature for copy/paste the credentials is also a very handy ability that helps to save us time.
  • The ability to include URL and expiration dates is also great to have.
  • It also has an option to randomly-generate passwords for you.
  • I don't believe that this is so much a negative, but be sure that you keep your password database saved in a location that is accessible (even during an outage). Failure to do so will make it hard/impossible to recover passwords in the event that your database is unreachable (such as if a network drive failure).
I feel that KeePass is an excellent choice for password management. The application is very easy to use, free and provides a rich feature set that makes it an ideal solution for our organization. The application also can be used for individual purposes, not just for a corporate environment. The ability to create random passwords, mark expiration dates, and provide associated URLs is a massive bonus for our organization. Additionally, the application gives us a higher level of security around password management since we only have to remember a single password. This helps to keep people from writing down or storing sensitive account info in unsecured manners.
Never have needed to contact support, so that means a ten since the product doesn't need any assistance. It just works.
Jacob Wall | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use KeePass to store not only shared passwords, but also information about websites and other applications where we would use them. We have also found a plugin for Chrome that allows us to auto-fill passwords from KeePass. If someone on another team adds a password, we have immediate access via KeePass. The provides the ideal combination of convenience and high security, protecting the passwords we use.
  • Very secure - no worries about our passwords being stored insecurely or in the wrong place.
  • Easy to share access to passwords used company-wide.
  • Integrates with Chrome and other browsers for ease of use and speed.
  • Price - free to use.
  • Outdated looking interface.
  • Setup is easy, but integration requires some more in-depth knowledge.
  • No automatic download/installation of upgrades.
Well suited for storing passwords used for business purposes that require additional security above and beyond browser password storage. It's also convenient for sharing passwords across a team or a company. It would be less suitable for storing only personally used passwords (even for business purposes) due to the extra setup required. (Although if you use the passwords in a variety of applications, it would still be an improvement.)
Neutral - never used support. We've only found solutions online; this is standard for free software. E.g. when we set up the extension in Chrome to auto-fill passwords from KeePass, we just searched Chrome for plugins and checked the ratings. However, if you are handy with Google, this is the easiest way to go in any case.
Matt James | TrustRadius Reviewer
We have more than 400 machines that we manage and over 1000 users/accounts. Trying to remember all of those service accounts and passwords is difficult especially when each one has to be unique. KeePass does 2 things. First, it helps us store all of those service accounts and passwords in one easy and convenient database. And second, it keeps that database secure so we don't have to worry about anyone peeking where they shouldn't be.
  • Password management is great. It makes it super easy to store and view accounts if we can not remember particular login information.
  • The password generator is great as well! I like that it will generate a very unique and complex password for us.
  • It is nice to know how secure our passwords are when we add a new entry. It lets us know if we need to strengthen them.
  • Viewing of passwords is kind of clunky. Then again I might be doing it wrong to view them. I basically have to "edit" the entry then unmask the password to view it. But like I said, I might be doing it wrong.
  • The import function needs a bit of work. Importing passwords from a browser is just a mass import and it would be nice to have some more granular input.
  • Give me a dark mode!
I was actually recommended this product by a colleague of mine and we have used it ever since. It is well suited for small to large IT departments that have a large number of service accounts and/or online service accounts such as Dropbox, Splashtop, Exchange, etc. For the home user, I would maybe recommend it if he/she wanted to keep track of personal accounts, numbers, recovery codes, etc. But this is mainly more for the business user.
Robert Gephart | TrustRadius Reviewer
KeePass is a software option that our employees can use to create and store passwords. Due to the need to log into multiple websites and change our passwords frequently, we needed a password manager to both to create and store these passwords.
  • Creates unique passwords for each login that you require.
  • Keeps a local encrypted copy of your passwords on your computer.
  • It is easy to find/look-up login credentials for each login. The user interface is well designed.
  • Keepass is kept locally on your computer. It takes a cloud service in order to keep it current on multiple computers.
  • Some websites do not work with the autofill feature in KeePass. Instead, you will find yourself on the reset password page. KeePass doesn't try to read the website before it pushes the autofill data.
  • The file on your computer is encrypted, but it is local and fairly easy to find on your computer.
It is well suited for people who have a cloud solution like Google Drive or Dropbox for their personal files. The cloud service allows you to keep your KeyPass file up to date across multiple computers. It is less suited to someone who uses random computers. In that case, you would need to use a flash drive to keep your passwords with you.
I have never had to contact support, but the program receives frequent updates and I have never had a problem with it.
Greg Madden, CISSP | TrustRadius Reviewer
It was used by the IT department to store sensitive passwords and to allow for more difficult password creation that all admins would have access to if needed.
  • Ease of implementation
  • Ease of management
  • Automatic saving of passwords.
  • Syncing of local databases.
For smaller IT departments or small businesses needing a free password management solution, this is perfect. there is no cost, and it doesn't require a degree to implement. It isn't as great for larger organizations or in organization-wide implementations, but it can work for individual departments within large organizations
I have never used KeePass support.
It is currently used as the standard individual password management offering across the entire organization. It has reduced user frustration with access, allowing users to securely and robustly store important sensitive/confidential passwords and information without reliance on an external source/service. It also has made it easy for teams to securely store information scoped to their team. Some users use it for repetitive form filling for various web-based requests they find themselves commonly using. This program is straightforward to use, extensible, and very flexible, requiring little to no learning curve for standard use. It can integrate with browsers fairly simply and make the management/addition of new logins quite simple. I recommend this product to friends and colleagues alike.
  • Password management.
  • Automation of repetitive web forms/requests.
  • Native browser integration. Integration is currently done with extensions/add-ons, however.
  • No app-specific UI customization, such as dark mode.
It is well suited to password and secret management, both on an individual and team level. It manages passwords in encrypted files. These files can be stored locally, or on a shared location safely, allowing for robust availability of the information, while still having the contained data secure. Security of the data can be managed through either a master password, a cert/key, or by tying to a specific Windows user and computer, or a combination of any/all of those three options.
I have almost never had to contact support. This product has a wide community, a very expansive documentation/forum site where generally any question/issue already has an answer/fix or explanation/workaround, or plans for improvement in a future version. On the occasions that I have reached out, answers were fairly quick, useful, and respectful.
January 21, 2020

KeePass does the job

We are using it to store passwords in the IT department for the development, EDI and infrastructure teams. Although our team is small we have many partners and resources that require a large variety of passwords to be tracked and updated on a regular basis. This allows our team to track all of this in a single location.
  • Password Storage
  • Password Retrieval
  • Synching is clunky
  • Multiple users at one time can cause copnflicts
It works well for storing and retrieving passwords for a small team especially when passwords need to be used by multiple individuals. Also the ability to generate strong passwords automatically is a positive especially for programs that require regular password updates. Prevents accounts getting locked out after password changes or a lot of time passing since last use.
My team (specifically) leans on KeePass for secure password management. While our greater organization utilizes some form of encrypted protocol (all G Suite-based), my department frequently handles data that we only trust to be stored locally. When it came to our need for open-source, encrypted local storage of access codes, KeePass hit the nail on the head.
  • First and foremost, KeePass is open source! When it comes to a password management solution, we felt (and continue to feel) at ease knowing that we weren't handing the keys over to a single external facilitator.
  • It's free...forever!
  • You can import password databases from other providers (LastPass, etc.) fairly simply.
  • Lack of a direct mobile solution. There are unofficial ports (my favorite: KeePass2Android), but nothing directly under the KeePass banner.
  • You cannot automatically import username/password combinations from a web browser (though you can import from the majority of other password managers).
  • I personally do not see it as a detractor, but the most frequent feedback I hear is how barren/old the UI is. I view the UI as simplistic and pragmatic, which is exactly what I want in a password manager.
I find KeePass to be best suited to individuals (for both personal and work-related use) or small- to medium-sized businesses/teams. Those that need to locally store sensitive account key/access information, and would like to do so without handing you most precious data to a third-party vendor -- KeePass should be your next (and last) stop.

Alternatively, I would would be surprised to find a large, corporate implementation of KeePass.
I've given KeePass support a neutral rating for the following reasons:
  1. If you're looking for a call-center, email-thread, ticket-numbered support system, you're not going to get it here.
  2. Their KeePass Help Center is accessible via the KeePass website; is always available, and answers everything from FAQs to edge cases.
Depending on your business need, KeePass is either going to be exactly what you want or the polar opposite, in terms of support.

What is KeePass?

KeePass is an open source password manager which secures passwords in a database locked with a master password or key file.

KeePass Pricing