Score 9.1 out of 10

What is Node.js?

Node.js is an open source, asynchronous event-driven JavaScript runtime, Node.js is designed to build scalable network applications.

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Node.js, and make your voice heard!

3 people want pricing too

What is Oracle Java SE Subscription?

Oracle Java SE Subscription combines license and support into a subscription to enable users to manage Java SE installations, updates and upgrades across the enterprise. The former Java SE Advanced, Java SE Advanced Desktop, and Java SE Suite products have transitioned to a Java SE Subscriptions.…

What is App Builder?

App Builder - Design and Build Real Apps Fast The brand-new App Builder aims to provide design and development teams with a solution to help them deliver apps quickly and efficiently, without losing focus on UX. Users can start an app from scratch or choose from a library of pre-built app templates…

Node.js Technical Details

Attribute Ratings

Node.js is used for developing the backend of my current organization's ongoing product. Node.js is not used by the complete organization but only the backend developer team. Our current product needed a multi-tenancy (concurrency) feature which is developed using Node.js only. Also, our product's frontend was written in javascript so to match the language Node.js was used and other problems like fast performance of product, scalability, non-blocking event-driven architecture, etc. were solved.
  • Node.js provides a feature called callback and promise. This feature lets the code get executed faster and hence increases the performance of the application.
  • Node.js makes the application scalable. The application becomes scalable due to load balancing. We can have multiple jobs for a node to process and it can handle it giving high throughput with no significant burden.
  • We needed a feature called multi-tenancy in our product's enterprise which was very effectively provided by Node.js.
  • Also, Node.js provides real-time data-intensive applications which were a must for our e-learning product.
  • The biggest drawback of Node.js even now is its inability to process CPU-bound tasks. For computation-intensive applications, PHP is preferred over Node.js. Whenever a heavy request comes to the event loop, Node.js would set all the CPU available to process it first, and then answer other requests queued. That results in slow processing and overall delay in the event loop, which is why Node.js is not recommended for heavy computation. Node.js should work upon this feature too.
  • Due to its asynchronous nature, Node.js relies heavily on callbacks, the functions that run after each task in the queue is finished. Keeping a number of queued tasks in the background, each with its callback, might result in the so-called callback hell, which directly impacts the quality of code. This should also be improved.
  • There are some modules in the npm registry which are not of good quality so these should be worked upon.
1. Node.js is useful for building one page, fast, light-weight, scalable applications.
2. It is not suitable for building computationally extensive applications, it may lead to bad performance.
  • It's event driven architecture and fast processing feature.
  • Light weight model architecture
  • it provides Scalable technology for microservices
  • Robust technology stack
  • Our product has become very efficient in terms of optimization, scalability as well as performance
  • the application is not performing much efficiently when a feature involves lot of computations
  • Also, our product was able to solve the problem of real-time data displaying effectively using node.js
Node.js provides features that were used to solve the problem and overall there was no negative impact. That is why Node.js is selected.
Node.js is my absolute favorite tech stack to work with, I learnt it at a time when I was burnt out and bored with .NET after having been in the Microsoft world for most of my career. Even with .NET Core around, I still prefer Node.js to anything else. Node is robust and fast, it delivers on everything it promises, it is the back bone of many services at my organization and used across all departments. When you get something like Node.js for free and it is such a pleasure to work with, all you can say is that it's contribution to the organization is priceless.
  • Robust
  • Fast
  • Modern
  • Easy to learn
  • Allows using JS or TypeScript everywhere
  • Supported and maintained actively by the open source community
  • Pleasurable to work with
  • Reliable
  • Simple to learn
  • Simple to setup
  • Package management can sometimes be a pain
  • Keeping up with upgrading packages to address vulnerabilities
If you need a fast, robust and reliable server side framework that allows you to write JS on the backend and therefore have your project in one language - Node.js is a stand out choice. It can easily handle heavy traffic on very little resources (CPU and memory usage is very efficient). I can't recommend it enough, it is such a pleasure to work with - I feel it gave me back my career. I was so bored with the banality of .NET, I had also come to dislike it's overly convoluted and complicated class structure. Node.js was the fresh start I needed, it can be as simple or as complicated as you like - but even at it's most complicated it can still beat the pants off .NET core any day.
  • Richest source of packages - there is something for most things you will need to do
  • Speed
  • Robustness
  • Zero cost
  • Ease of use
  • Node.js allows us to get more systems up and running quicker
  • Zero cost
  • Robustness
In my opinion, Node.js is just so much cooler than anything .NET has ever done, even now. It far simpler to get started, you don't need to remember some obtuse class hierarchy which tends to make .NET good so much more complicated than it should need to be. Node.js is faster and more robust, even though .NET Core claims to be faster or just as fast - even if that were true, if you are hosting it on IIS - then any advantage you had is gone. Node.js continues to improve on and already perfectly formed base. I wish I could just work on Node to be honest.
.NET, ASP.NET, Asana, Azure DevOps Server (formerly Team Foundation Server)
Tanay Arora | TrustRadius Reviewer
Node.js is used by me and my department for making backend of many web projects. We use it ideally for making backend of projects in which we have to serve data dynamically to webpages. We also use it mostly for designing backend API and for making web applications with backend and frontend in the same directory.
  • C and C++ plugins are good for heavy calculations.
  • Easy to use and maintain with a little knowledge of Javascript.
  • A wide range of json support.
  • It provide robust technology to work.
  • It reduce performance while dealing with heavy computational task.
  • Node.js invites a lot of change in code, due to an unstable api.
  • Lack of library support.
Node.js is well suited when we have to serve data to display on a webpage, which will be loaded once the page is load and doesn't make too many requests, or for a small application with fewer visits as for big projects we couldn't rely on a single environment or language.
  • It's very fast in code execution.
  • It work on single thread but it is highly scalable.
  • less buffering
  • It let us to make lo budget projects easily and faster.
  • Node.js is easy and based on Javascript, so our interns and trainee could able to make projects using Node.js.
Node.js is easy to use and we don't need to set up the environment for using it as we do for making backend with Django and python,
It is also faster and causes less buffering unlike WordPress or other of the kind, and last but not least it is easy to use by beginners as syntax is easy and we could run it with minimal setup.
Node.js is easy and good to use, their support team is also good they always tend to help you, and solve your problem,
even we know that Node is free to use and opensource but then also we get support from them but for getting much better results we need to purchase standard or enterprises support provided by them.
Recently, I didn't found a need to purchase premium support as they provided everything which a developer need to work with their software,
but in a case when I have to work on a project or found a need to interact with their team for marketing or development solutions I will surly purchase the premium.
Yes, once I was working on a project, which is an e-commerce website and I have to prepare an API for communicating with the backend and to send back responses like products, user details and further for this project I had got a need for higher security and performance and for so I contacted the support team for improving my project with their help and it had worth communicating with them.
In our organization Node is used for backend application development. We have several applications that manage communication between end users and Facebook Messenger. We use weebhooks and express.js package to manage this. As alternative we could use Python but Node was better choice for us. Mainly because of its simplicity and many additional packages with ready to use addons. Moreover we have few JS dev on board so it was easier to develop apps.
  • It can handle many connections at a time.
  • JavaScript is easy to learn for every developer.
  • There are so many npm packages that help develop complex applications.
  • There are no cons in the approach we use.
The ability to process multiple concurrent requests by Node.js is desired for Internet of Things projects that may have thousends or even more devices connecting at the same time.
  • It helps our business to expand our standard offer with new solutions based on Node.js such as conversation bots.
  • It brings avarege 2-3 new clients projects per year, that we couldn't do without it.
Node was easier to master for our team and it was better supported by external API provider.
React, WordPress
Adam Stern | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are using Node to implement a microservices architecture that runs every aspect of the product. From a user-facing API, to back-end processing services, to our serverless triggers.
  • Light-weight, fast implementations of tasks in a microservices framework.
  • Ample modules are available for extended functionality.
  • Open-source with large amounts of community support.
  • Very scalable for ever-increasing environments.
  • Performance bottlenecks need to be profiled and ameliorated.
  • The Asynchronous Programming Model has a learning curve which isn't always intuitive to entry-level coders.
  • Much more suited to the cloud, as opposed to bare-metal installations.
Node is very good at microservices. "Do one thing and do it well." It is easily Dockerized and scalable. For many products, Node can be used as a front-end API, as well as a back-end processor.
For extremely CPU-intensive tasks, like advanced machine learning, I'd recommend not to use Node.
  • The ease of coding in a Node environment has made it easy to onboard new developers.
  • Adding features and functionalities is usually relatively simple. Testing frameworks help with smoke/regression testing.
  • A wealth of libraries (npms) available make third-party integrations easier.
Other alternatives would be Python or Ruby, both of which are inferior in terms of performance, usability, scalability, and error handling.