PayPal Payments Reviews

December 09, 2020
I use PayPal to accept international payments. I use it only because some customers believe that their purchase are safer when made by PayPal. It isn't my first choice. I advise my customers to pay via cheaper mediums as PayPal fees are very high and I just have to add it to the price.
  • Is easy to use by a customer.
  • Is widely awailable.
  • Customer Support is somewhere between being a nightmare and non-existent. These days we actually have no chance to get to a living person there. We can only write e-mails. What is more, the answers I get seldom solve any problem or give real information. For example "Your payment is on hold for security reasons"? What does it mean?
  • Fees are very high. When I accept international payment I have to pay: 4,4% for international transfer + 4% for currency exchange + poor exchange rate = 10 to 12% fee.
  • I really don't understand why I can not add my bank account in a foreign currency. The only reason I see is greed to collect the fees mentioned earlier. Funds or accounts are blocked with no reason nor explanation - "for security reason". But I get no real info, I suppose that PayPal just means on holding my funds and that is all the mystery here.
It is ok if you want to send small amounts within your country - both to your friends and family or if you buy some goods online.
June 22, 2020
Leslie Ornelas | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our organization has used PayPal previously for payment processing with our special events and online campaign donations. Donors found this as an easy and secure way to make payments. The processing charges were cheaper than the event management software we had so both our campaign and special event managers preferred PayPal.
  • Allows recurring payments.
  • Payment dashboard.
  • Fast checkout.
  • Security.
  • Reports.
  • Support.
We found that PayPal was best suited for donors making recurring payments as it would send reminders and allow auto draft. PayPal was not best suited when we were managing multiple events, as some clients would not notate what the payment was for and we would have to call to determine what they were purchasing.
In the past when I contacted support the hold times were quite long and reps were not always easy to understand due to heavy accents.
Read Leslie Ornelas's full review
February 26, 2020
Anne Theriault | TrustRadius Reviewer
I currently use PayPal payments to accept payments for the services and products I provide to my customers. I use it across my entire organization. It's safe and efficient and I am able to accept payments quickly from customers across the globe. I am also able to issue a refund very efficiently is the need arises.
  • PayPal Payments has superior customer service.
  • PayPal Payments is very quick and convenient.
  • PayPal Payments has a very effective resolution center if a problem should be encountered.
  • I am extremely pleased with PayPal Payments and have no comment on how they could do things differently.
PayPal Payments is extremely well suited for anyone building an online business. It is easy to use and integrates well with any WordPress site.
Read Anne Theriault's full review
April 22, 2020
Kevin Miller | TrustRadius Reviewer
As a solo small business owner, PayPal is the best solution in my local market to accept payments online from clients and offline using my card reader for local or older clients. I always have a way to get paid even when I'm not near a computer or laptop. I can also securely keep track of my purchases with accurate and robust reporting.
  • Multiple ways to pay
  • Detailed reporting and analytics
  • Accepted virtually everywhere payments are accepted
  • Quick and easy invoices
  • More support for sellers over buyers. Lots of room for scammers to take advantage of buyers as PayPal almost always sides with the buyer.
  • Easier access to pre-approved payments & subscriptions.
Since most checkouts on the web offer some sort of PayPal payment option, most solo and small business owners can get started accepting payments same day as sign-up. The fact that you can create an invoice in under 10-15 seconds or less and send it off is also a huge plus. The mobile apps for PayPal and PayPal Here work very well together when you're being a boss on the move!
The support has come through more times than they've failed. During business hours you can contact the support by phone or through the message center in your account. Phone contact already populates by your number.
Read Kevin Miller's full review
May 13, 2020
We use PayPal Payments to accept online donations for our nonprofit. We directly link to PayPal for one-time and recurring payments. It is simply used for our development team and not by any other part of the organization. It allows us to accept online payments instead of forcing people to mail in checks for donations.
  • Near universal trust.
  • Easy to get money quickly.
  • Brand recognition.
  • Hard to get button on website.
  • Functionality is difficult from time to time.
  • Users struggle to set up recurring payments.
PayPal is easy for us to accept online donations for our nonprofit. This allows us to put a button on our website to redirect people to PayPal for donations. It is well-suited for this. My only issue is that it was difficult to generate a button to put on our website.
PayPal's customer service has always been efficient. We've had a couple of questions including how to add different currencies to our site and they've always been answered promptly. I have had no issues with their support overall. The wait times are even reasonable compared to other customer service providers. All in all, they are solid.
January 29, 2020
I personally use PayPal Payments; I do not use it in my professional work. I use PayPal Payments for online purchases, for financial transactions between myself with family and friends, making charitable donations, and paying for services.
  • Incredibly easy to use interface
  • Securely transfer money between my checking account and the recipient.
I recommend using PayPal Payments to transfer money to people that you explicitly trust (personal use) or can provide you a receipt demonstrating payment and completion of services/goods.
I have not used customer support, so I am unable to provide a numeric response.
December 27, 2019
Shawn Goumaz | TrustRadius Reviewer
PayPal Payments is used across the entire company. This is how we send and receive client payments. PayPal is very user-friendly and has minimal wait time for payments to hit your business account, unlike other competitors that I have used in the past. PayPal is also widely used by consumers and other companies making it easy to send and receive payments with minimal effort.
  • Ease of use.
  • Quick transfer process.
  • Instant transfer between multiple accounts.
It's great for individual invoices at lower amounts. While transferring money is easy it does get pricey when you do large payments.
I have not had to use PayPal support which says a lot for their high functioning platform.
Read Shawn Goumaz's full review
December 13, 2019
Darcy Knapp, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use PayPal Payments to facilitate invoice payments by our customers, having PayPal Payments as an option reduces our open accounts receivables, many clients prefer paying this way and we have fully integrated our PayPal Payments with Quickbooks so their payments post directly into QB. We also offer PayPal payments on our ecommerce store, and i would estimate 20-30% of our checkouts are PayPal Payments.
  • Fast payments.
  • Ease of integration (Quickbooks Online).
  • Reputation.
  • Lower fee structure to make offering the payment option more valuable.
PayPal Payments is an ideal addition for any business. Having PayPal Payments as an option helps to reduce time on receivables and facilitates the online checkout for our store. We also offer PayPal.me as an option for users that want to direct-pay for a product or service. We have improved both our turnaround time on payments and our bottom line by offering PayPal Payments. Time is money, and when clients pay faster, we can invest more in our business.
Fast customer service response time, we rarely ever have any complaints from clients, seamless integration with Quickbooks online, instant payment postings, easy to manage and if we have to call in for any issues, the service dept. is very friendly and knowledgeable. We have no complaints and PayPal adds to our business bottom line growth.
Read Darcy Knapp, MBA's full review
July 20, 2019
Rohit Langde | TrustRadius Reviewer
Being a payment processor with almost no implementation skills required, it is only used by the Sales department. The problem of getting paid quickly and safely is the main concern for any business and PayPal gives a head-start. It helps to avail the payment facility from around the globe within minutes of integration with our website and shopping cart.
  • Direct deposit to bank account in 24 hours of payment receipt.
  • Accepts payments from around the globe covering almost all the countries.
  • No Learning curve and easy to implement.
  • Higher transaction charges might shy away sellers.
  • Very much inclined towards buyer's protection. Seller is not always covered and at risk.
  • They block or limit accounts without giving sufficient reasons. It is recommended to play within limits.
It is very much applicable to freelancers and small business owners who want to take a business to the global level. There aren't many scenarios where it is not applicable but I would not recommend it to businesses looking up for complete selling solution like a shopping cart with an affiliate, CRM, and digital delivery management.
Read Rohit Langde's full review
November 15, 2019
We use PayPal payments to create a more seamless checkout experience for our customers (PayPal Express) and increase their buying power (PayPal Credit). The payment solution is offered across all of our websites, and is promoted on our PDP, cart, and checkout.
  • Reduces transactional friction.
  • Offers extended credit to consumers (0% interest for 6 months) with no additional fee to merchants.
  • Offers partners marketing opportunities with the PayPal consumer base as a value add.
  • Until recently, they have not offered a similar product to the likes of Affirm, Quadpay, et. They have since launched a "no interest equal payments" option for consumers, but that comes at an additional cost to merchants.
PayPal is by far the dominant payer in this space. With its brand recognition and credibility, it makes it easier for every merchant to offer it. For higher AUR sellers, time will tell if their equal payments option is as seamless as their competitors'.
We have a support team we meet with periodically to discuss marketing opportunities and new solutions available. They have also provided connections with other clients for product partnerships, which has added value.
February 01, 2019
burt smith | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have used PayPal personally for a little more than 5 years, and so far it has been very useful and good. I usually make purchases on different web pages (I buy from books to some sculptures of Banpresto) and with PayPal, I have security that there will be no undue charges to my credit card. Also, I know that my personal information will be private and that in case of any problem PayPal will solve everything quickly and efficiently (quite different from banks).
  • PayPal is accepted in a large number of online stores, so you can buy in different places and countries easily and safely.
  • By being an intermediary between your credit card and the seller, and in addition to using encryption security in your transactions, you are not at risk of your credentials and personal data being stolen.
  • Use is very simple, you only have to associate a credit card and you can already buy in the hundreds of shops that accept PayPal.
  • PayPal has an anti-fraud security system, so in case you buy something and it does not arrive or arrives damaged, you can open a case to ask for a refund. The resolution of the case is delayed only a few days, which is much faster than the vast majority of banks.
  • PayPal is not accepted everywhere. This means you can't always use this product for purchases.
PayPal works very well as a secure payment method. When you buy with PayPal you have the peace of mind that your personal data and card data cannot be taken by another person that is not you (or usurped). The transactions in PayPal are very fast and easy to make since only with a few clicks you can buy what you need without delays or paperwork. Another really good thing is the PayPal protection system because in case of fraud or that the item you buy is broken, bad, or not sent, you can ask that PayPal refund your money without major problems and without long and tedious procedures.
Read burt smith's full review
February 23, 2019
Steve French | TrustRadius Reviewer
PayPal Payments is being used across the organization. It is used as a payment method for customers to purchase goods off of our retail web site. We have also begun using it to invoice international buyers of custom/bulk orders. It works better than any other platform we looked at for this type of transaction. Lastly, we use it to make payments to international contractors.
  • The ability to invoice someone anywhere in the world and have them pay directly off of that invoice is huge. It handles currency issues well.
  • Moving funds to and from my bank account is simple.
  • It downloads transactions into my accounting system (Quickbooks).
  • Reporting.
  • Currency conversion automatically at the time of payment.
For smaller firms with a need for international transactions, it is great. I wish it was better integrated with Quickbooks in terms of tracking sales taxes.
Read Steve French's full review
February 12, 2019
Ann M. Frank | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Paypal Payments to make payments internally and with vendors. It allows us to make payments securely from various accounts and [many] forms of payments (credit cards, bank accounts).
  • Payments are made securely.
  • Various types of accounts can be linked to PayPal to make payments.
  • It makes paying international vendors and staff easier (sometimes there are challenges with paying via other methods). This speeds up the process.
  • It's easy to learn and train on.
  • The currency converter doesn't always work.
  • Some vendors and staff don't have an account.
It's the best for paying international vendors - no issues with payments being approved and no delays as often is the case with credit cards or local bank accounts. It allows employees to pay each other, if needed, for various functions. No worrying about having cash or having to deal with checks (what are those?!).
Read Ann M. Frank's full review
January 11, 2019
MaryLee Trettenero | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use PayPal to process the majority of my clients' payments for my consulting business. PayPal is attached to my booking service and website so making an appointment and paying for it at the same time is a breeze. Love it. It solves the problem of automating my appointment making process so I don't have to get involved.
  • Allows me to automate my appointment booking process. This saves me a countless number of hours on a weekly basis. When I was doing this manually - on a slow week, I was spending 2 - 3 hours and it was spread out throughout the week. Having it automated - I don't have to get involved.
  • Allows me to immediately send out payment requests and receive payments quickly. The turn around time for an invoice payment can be within minutes after I send out a payment request. This is invaluable to me.
  • Allows me to send friends and family money instantly and without a charge.
  • A refund is easy to process.
  • I have a booking service and the software isn't 100% compatible with PayPal. It kicks the customer off the payment page after they finish filling out their credit card information. No one knows how to solve this. Though I believe it's the booking service's glitch, it's an ongoing issue. I wish Paypal would take up this complaint with my booking service. I'm happy to provide more info.
  • I wish people weren't able to use the credit feature for my business. Mind you I've never had a customer not pay when they use PayPal's credit service, but I didn't set this up as a feature and wouldn't otherwise give my clients this option.
  • I can't say exactly what I'd like to see differently but I feel that the reports could be more comprehensive. When I've tried to run reports - sometimes I can't search for specific information - either those dates are available or the specific details aren't available. I was doing research for my business recently and it seems like the range of details you can obtain from reports could be enhanced.
Very well suited for me to receive payments for consulting sessions. It's easy to review a client's history. Easy to research if a client has paid or not. Very user-friendly. I can't think of a scenario at the moment where PayPal Payments isn't appropriate.
Read MaryLee Trettenero's full review
September 07, 2018
Tim Vahsholtz | TrustRadius Reviewer
I've been using Paypal Payments for my small business, as well as a fundraiser event I produce, for a number of years. Our experiences have been with transactions coming from our websites, not card swiping on location. Paypal Payments is kind of the original, easy to use, online payment portal, in my opinion. It's easy to use and doesn't cost any more than the transaction fee, plus accepts all major credit cards. Many people already have Paypal accounts and are familiar with it. However, even if you don't have a Paypal account, a customer can still use the portal for the transaction.
  • Paypal Payments does a great job of interfacing with a website. If you have one product or item for purchase, it's easy to have the site create the code for a payment button. In other cases, we have integrated WooCommerce with Paypal so the entire shopping cart transaction can be simply handled by Paypal Payments.
  • Once a transaction is completed, it often ends up in your Paypal account immediately. From there, you can transfer the funds to your account (usually 1 or 2 business days). As many businesses take Paypal as payment these days, you can use those funds for your own business purposes if you would like.
  • The fraud protection of Paypal Payments is worth noting. If a transaction seems unusual, a hold may be put on the transaction until the funds clear. This doesn't happen often. In addition, Paypal does provide phone support if a transaction turns out to be fraudulent.
  • It would be nice to be able to customize the payment page in Paypal Payments to better match the website look. Currently, we can only add our logo and business name.
  • While the button code feature is nice and very helpful, it would be great to have more choices of how those buttons look. We get around that by designing our own button and using the link code (on our clients' sites that only need one button, not a whole shopping cart.)
Paypal Payments is superb for sites with a single product, a few products, or a donation. It also works well for e-commerce shopping carts where you have a small to medium amount of items. Paypal Payments usually handles the one-time payment of the shopping cart, then directs you back to the merchant's site. This also puts the burden of a secure transaction SSL on Paypal, rather than your own website.

If a commerce site is much bigger, or requires many items and/or selections, it may be more advantageous to look at some other options that would handle the payments "on site." This set up would require a site to be tightly secured, as credit card info would be transmitted on the merchant site.
Read Tim Vahsholtz's full review
December 22, 2018
Chris McCarthy | TrustRadius Reviewer
We tried other methods of digital payments, most often those tied directly to a commercial bank. At first, we used PayPal payments at the request of our contractors as it was their preferred method. In time, we switched completely over to only PayPal payments.
  • Ease of use when working with global contractors who seem most familiar with this form of digital payment
  • Security: Whenever we have a question they are most disciplined about ensuring the identity of our call and at several levels. Yet they also ensure the business transaction behind our call remains as seamless as possible.
  • Reasonable fees: Having tried many other sources of digital payments, our experience with PayPal is that their fees are quite reasonable given the speed of processing and reliability they provide.
  • Keep your fees competitive and we will stay with you without ever bothering to try a new service.
New vendor or new contractor payments are ideally suited for PayPal, as the trust is in their global brand.

Dispute resolution is always fair and impressively fast.

Fees are competitive and, very often, the lowest, given how slow other digital payment companies process cash flows.
Read Chris McCarthy's full review
August 02, 2018
Victoria Smith | TrustRadius Reviewer
My organization is using across the entire organization. We use it to take mobile payments as well as e-commerce across multiple domains. Without PayPal we would looking at much higher transaction rates so this saves us time and money across the board. PayPal user friendly platform for mobile, online and invoicing allows us to complete a full circle spectrum of collecting money.
  • Payment Dispute Handling
  • Mobile Payments
  • Secure Payment for E-commerce
  • API functionality setup is tricky without a developer
  • Integration with additional sources for enhanced marketing capabilities
PayPal Payments is great for an e-commerce site as well as an online membership site. These are growing site functionalities as Amazon and other corporate affiliations expand thus making payment options affordable and manageable for the small business and mid-level business who chose to pay to play in this industry. Without PayPal Payments linking to Amazon, Ebay, and others smaller companies would be lost to accept online payments.
Read Victoria Smith's full review
July 05, 2018
Amelia Edwards | TrustRadius Reviewer
As a graphic designer, I have many opportunities to work on freelance projects. PayPal enables me to confidently offer my services to clients outside my geographic area and on a flexible schedule. Before, I was limited to working with people who were close enough to me to be able to meet with in person to accept payment or wait for physical checks in the mail. Now, I can accept a design request from someone on the other side of the globe, complete the work and get paid in a matter of hours without leaving my home.
  • Accept payments from a variety of sources.
  • Send and track invoices easily.
  • Add financial services as needed without a lot of overhead.
  • Fees could be lower.
  • The time it takes to transfer money to bank accounts.
  • No way to opt out of "special offer" screens on login.
PayPal is especially useful when you're exchanging goods and services at a distance. As a graphic designer, my "product" is mostly virtual and my clients can be anywhere in the world. Without the ability to safely send and receive funds in a convenient and secure way, my freelance opportunities would be extremely limited. My experiences with trying to accept payment through a regular bank were frustrating because the regularity of this work is not reliable enough to ensure that I don't lose money in monthly fees.
Read Amelia Edwards's full review
September 25, 2018
Tim Mack | TrustRadius Reviewer
PayPal payments is a fast way for me to send payments to contractors, or vendors I work with. It saves me from having to open up QuickBooks, look the vendor up, load a check into the printer, print the check, sign the check and stamp and mail it. That right there is about 5 - 10 minutes of work. If I have to send payments to 10 or more vendors... ugh, check printing NO THANK YOU. In summary, I make heavy use of PayPal to send payments to people and this saves me time to run my company and not just send payments.
  • It draws from your banking account (linked accounts) making it easy to send money.
  • Allows me to leave notes and if need be, get a refund fast!
  • Everything moves pretty quick with PayPal, I have not had an issue with funds getting tied up.
  • My biggest gripe with PayPal is the way it handles bookkeeping at a time. When I pay someone, PayPal takes money from my banking account, and deposits it into my PayPal, then it un - holds the funds and issues payments. When I go to do my taxes at the end of the year and import my expenses, it looks like I have x2 the deposits and this requires a bit of sorting.
  • When I started to work with an accountant from Pakistan, they just had access to see my funds and reconcile my accounts.. PayPal froze my account until the contractor from Pakistan could submit verification documents, this was a bit of a stress.
If you are a small to medium sized business and you can't afford a bookkeeper to cut checks, or you just don't have time to write checks, then this is for you. You can send funds to the people you work with, transfer funds from one bank account to another, and it's all straightforward.
Read Tim Mack's full review
August 31, 2018
Brandon Zell | TrustRadius Reviewer
As a freelance web designer working with clients across the country, PayPal is the easiest way to invoice my clients who want to pay by credit card. For one-time payments, PayPal doesn't even require my clients to have a PayPal account in order to pay the invoice. This is a major plus as it's inconvenient to ask a client to sign up for a new account somewhere. PayPal even handles sending the invoice out.
  • Helps you create invoices, and sends them out.
  • Doesn't require that my clients have a PayPal account to pay the invoice.
  • Low processing fee for accepting payment via credit card.
  • Free funds transfer from PayPal to my bank account.
  • Invoice tool seems outdated compared to the polished look of the main dashboard.
  • Setting up recurring payments from clients is not easy and also seems outdated.
If you need to accept payments from someone via credit card, PayPal is an excellent option, especially if that payee is not nearby.
Read Brandon Zell's full review
November 21, 2018
ZEESHAN ALI | TrustRadius Reviewer
Used in the whole of our organization.
1. It helps to send and receive payments from our customers and clients.
2. We can accept from around the world and get money into our bank accounts smoothly.
3. We can easily create invoices for customers and clients within the app only.
  • Easy to send receive payments.
  • Transaction takes smoothly with money getting directly into our linked bank account.
  • We can accept payment from around the world in different currencies.
  • Low transaction fees.
  • Interface is quite simple and easy to use.
  • Linking of cards is not so smooth and time taking process.
  • Poor customer service.Very limited help available.
  • In India, we can't hold PayPal balance for more than 24hrs.
Well suited for receiving and sending money from around the world and in different currencies. Also helpful in creating invoices. Not so well for receiving local payments i.e within the same country as other options are much faster and better.
Read ZEESHAN ALI's full review
July 26, 2018
Marissa Artman | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am a sole proprietor, so my entire business is me. I use PayPay Payments to send clients invoices remotely, which solves the problem of them needing to send me a check or call with a credit card over the phone to use something like Square. It is seamless and very easy to use.
  • Invoices
  • Billing
  • Reminders
  • Tracking multiple invoices across customers
  • Customer databases
  • Reminders on late invoices
  • Automatically billing customers who are regular users of a service
PayPal is well suited to one-off invoices, such as a consulting gig, but perhaps less useful when you have a regular recurring relationship with a client and have to reinvent the invoice each and every month for the same services rendered. It would also be nice to have a catalog of customers with contact information that you could select from.
Read Marissa Artman's full review
July 12, 2018
Reagan Baird Nash | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am the owner of a Life Coaching business and have chosen PayPal as my preferred method of payment from my clients. PayPal helps me accept payments securely, get money transferred to my business account quickly, and keep everything organized.
  • Secure transfers
  • Deposited into bank quickly (quicker than Stripe)
  • Integrations with other software
  • Automated invoices
  • I’d love if it integrated with Acuity
  • It stinks that I lose a percentage of my payments (though I understand that PayPal needs to be paid!)
PayPal has, so far, been the absolute easiest way to accept payments from clients. The PayPal.me link is especially easy to send!
Read Reagan Baird Nash's full review
July 12, 2018
Caryn Purdy | TrustRadius Reviewer
I prefer PayPal over all other methods of sending and receiving payments for remote contracts, sales or commissions. I also prefer PayPal Here over other methods of processing credit card payments at vendor shows. Although the transaction fee is about the same, with PayPal the money is available in my account immediately.
  • Trustworthy
  • Fast transfer (no waiting for your payment to clear)
  • Back up funding sources
  • N/A
PayPal is well suited for online payments as well as on the spot credit card processing.
Read Caryn Purdy's full review
July 09, 2018
Lia Burres | TrustRadius Reviewer
As a blogger, I use PayPal to help with payments from my clients for doing social media work for them. It is easier for the payments to come through and to also pay for a VA (virtual assistant) when needed. It makes it easier to have payments in an instant, instead of waiting for a money order or something similar. It also makes it easier for my clients to make payments for their services to be rendered in a timely and quick manner.
  • One strength is that payments are instant and not taking a while to arrive via snail mail.
  • Your clients get their services delivered quickly.
  • They send an email to alert you when the payment has been made.
  • It would be helpful that when you have a currency set, that it would automatically change it when payments come through from another. An example would be you have your currency set to USD, then a payment comes through as British pounds. Then PayPal would automatically convert it to USD. That would keep us from having to go to PayPal to convert it after the payment has been made.
I cannot think of anything where they are less appropriate. They are always on top of things and help when someone on the other side doesn't hold up on their end of the purchase. We're protected. Therefore, I can't really think of anything that is less appropriate.
Read Lia Burres's full review

What is PayPal Payments?

PayPal Payments is a payment gateway software solution offered by PayPal.