Joomla! is a free and open source content management system used to publish web content. Joomla is written in PHP, uses object-oriented programming (OOP) techniques and stores data in a MySQL, MS SQL, or PostgreSQL database. Included features are page caching, RSS feeds, printable versions of pages, news flashes, blogs, polls, a search function, and support for language internationalization.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/z0/oy/NGPA9SH4R8L3.PNGA great CMS with an even better community of developers behind it.I use Joomla for a number of websites for my clients. I've used Joomla for over 10 years. Joomla is an excellent CMS for building simple to complex websites. I've used Joomla for everything from small business websites, to real estate portals, to ecommerce websites, to social networks. The possibilities with Joomla and the many extensions and community members behind it makes it one of my top choices for web development.,Joomla provides a strong core to get website development started quickly and easily. The possibilities that the many Joomla extensions offers are unlimited. Joomla's templating system is quick and easy to create a custom design for your website. The community of experts are second to none, the community offers excellent support.,The administration can be difficult for non-technical people to use, some of my clients find it daunting and not very user-friendly. Security...Joomla is a really big target to hackers...I do know that Joomla works hard to get security patches out as quickly as they can though. Speed, I'd like to see the core Joomla sped up with out having to put in tons of work to speed it up.,9,The Joomla community has made it easier for me to find answers to questions I've had on Joomla issues and customizations making getting projects for my clients done quicker and easier. The administration has NOT been liked by many of my non-technical clients vs other administrations for other software, and has caused some clients to be unhappy with making changes to their website themselves. Joomla has made getting complex websites up quicker for my clients resulting in happy clients.,WordPress,Yoast Wordpress SEO Plugins, BigCommerce, WooCommerce,Developer,10-100 pages,1,1,Non-Profit website with membership directory, e-commerce for events/products and a large amount of content. Website for a specialized antique furniture dealer showcasing constantly changing pieces available with custom information provided on each piece. Previously used for a social network specializing in the home design industry with extensive customized features.,10,10,YesJoomla! for CMS... Simple and easy...At that time, we used Joomla! to address the specific needs to create and build company Portal and some web applications for business purpose. So, we were using Joomla! as the main platform to serve it for IT departments and other teams as well. Joomla! already quite popular and easy to be used when we search the solution for this requirement.,It is very easy to create any project using Joomla. Easy to use and easy to publish and maintain. Joomla! has many add-on and extensions to support the full range of features. It is based on Open Source with the strong support from many communities,Some of the Joomla! plugins and extensions are not free and not cheap as well. Difficult for own customization. Security concerns.,8,Faster time-to-market. Change can be done as quick as possible. Not require special resources to manage and maintain it. Reduce overall cost for CAPEX and OPEX.,WordPress and Alfresco Enterprise Content Management,MS SharePoint, Weebly, Drupal,Developer,100-1,000 pagesJoomla Offers Hassle, Headaches and StressJoomla is used to manage our company Intranet. It is used as an information clearinghouse. We both communicate information on the page and use links, documents and videos to further assist communicating what ever is needed. Whether its for Human Resources, Medical Staff, Security or Marketing, we have place for it on our Intranet.,Document indexing WYSIWYG editor Page version control Multiple language support,Massive learning curve to get ramped up on the product. In my opinion, is more difficult than Drupal. Terrible experience upgrading between versions. Migrating content into Joomla is not easy. WYSIWYG editor is a pain. Almost always errors editing content in this fashion as extra code is generated around functions such as bold, italicize, header, etc. Document management can be a pain with files uploading into multiple spaces. Overall, not user friendly for tech leaders and content managers.,5,Joomla requires a lot of time to manage for technical leaders and content managers. Negatively affects ROI. Is a free software, so we are not technically losing money (better solutions elsewhere though) Takes a lot of time to get ramped up and trained on. Difficult to understand metrics baked in. Hard to analyze what pages are effective, affecting the re-platform and redesign process.,WordPress, Drupal, HubSpot, Concrete5, Wix, Squarespace, Weebly, Contentful and Atlassian Confluence,Atlassian Confluence, Concrete5, WordPress, Drupal, Wix, Weebly, Squarespace,Content Author / Administrator,100-1,000 pagesJoomla! A small business answer with a big ROI!I use Joomla to build and edit a website for a higher education association. The main goal of the site is to promote the organization as well provide information about their annual conference.,Easily update pages Great website templates can be found for free Publishing websites are a breeze,Provide easier ways to format text More template options Easy to understand instruction manual,8,The software is free It is the perfect software for a small or complex website. It offers so many tools to meet most needs Joomla! keeps the content secure,,Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat DC, EMS Software,Content Author / Administrator,10-100 pagesThe latest Content Management System equipped with powerful front-end and back-endJoomla! is used in our organisation just for training purposes and giving ideas about the CMS to the newly hired interns. It is used for the development team so I can say it is not for the whole organization but the development section of each team.,Joomla! does some things like content management, banner management and templates management very well. So these features are strength of Joomla! If I talked about details then managing and creating menus is very easy in this tool. Templates are flexible to use so one can easily use templates according to one's need,Joomla! has a problem with installing plugins that may [cause] problems sometimes when you try to install a plugin that is incompatible Once you [have] made your website layout and then if you change your mind to change the layout then it's a big pain in Joomla! I have not observed it but people say it is not [very] SEO friendly,9,I can not [speak] about the exact ROI of the organisation but considering the fact that providing training through it they are giving exposure to a hired developer I think it is pretty good.,WordPress and Blogger,WordPress, Blogger,Developer,10-100 pages
Joomla!

Joomla Reviews

Joomla
Filter 223 vetted Joomla reviews and ratings
Jen Garfinkel-Canseco profile photo
November 06, 2018

Joomla Review: "A great CMS with an even better community of developers behind it."

• Joomla provides a strong core to get website development started quickly and easily.
  • The possibilities that the many Joomla extensions offers are unlimited.
  • Joomla's templating system is quick and easy to create a custom design for your website.
  • The community of experts are second to none, the community offers excellent support.
  • The administration can be difficult for non-technical people to use, some of my clients find it daunting and not very user-friendly.
  • Security...Joomla is a really big target to hackers...I do know that Joomla works hard to get security patches out as quickly as they can though.
  • Speed, I'd like to see the core Joomla sped up with out having to put in tons of work to speed it up.
Joomla is especially great for complex sites where non-technical clients won't be using administration. I use Joomla for my clients that want a robust CMS where, between extensions and customizations, I can create very specialized website projects. I'm not a big fan of any of the e-commerce extensions for Joomla, but the social network capabilities of some of the extensions are excellent! I do highly recommend using a dedicated server so server settings can be tweaked to optimize Joomla, though it will run on a shared hosting for a simple site.
Read Jen Garfinkel-Canseco's full review
Ilham AB profile photo
June 28, 2018

User Review: "Joomla! for CMS... Simple and easy..."

• It is very easy to create any project using Joomla. Easy to use and easy to publish and maintain.
  • Joomla! has many add-on and extensions to support the full range of features.
  • It is based on Open Source with the strong support from many communities
  • Some of the Joomla! plugins and extensions are not free and not cheap as well.
  • Difficult for own customization.
  • Security concerns.
Joomla! is one of the best open-source to create and build web portal and applications. Especially related with e-Commerce project. From the beginning of its appearance until now, Joomla already received many awards in the IT industry. With this extensive and flexible features, this Joomla! platform will suitable for many industries from small to corporate company.
Again there will be no silver bullet for all purpose. For someone that require very high customization on their website then Joomla! is not for them.
Read Ilham AB's full review
Sean Pomory profile photo
October 18, 2018

Review: "Joomla Offers Hassle, Headaches and Stress"

• Document indexing
  • WYSIWYG editor
  • Page version control
  • Multiple language support
  • Massive learning curve to get ramped up on the product. In my opinion, is more difficult than Drupal.
  • Terrible experience upgrading between versions.
  • Migrating content into Joomla is not easy.
  • WYSIWYG editor is a pain. Almost always errors editing content in this fashion as extra code is generated around functions such as bold, italicize, header, etc.
  • Document management can be a pain with files uploading into multiple spaces.
  • Overall, not user friendly for tech leaders and content managers.
Joomla could be a good solution if someone wanted an entirely free site that could easily support multiple languages. Besides that, it is difficult for me to recommend Joomla. Personally, it has been one of the most constant annoyances in my current position. We are doing everything we can to secure funding to upgrade and move away from Joomla.

On that note, Joomla is not a good use for enterprise organizations with multiple users, a lot of documents and a lot of traffic. The software simply can't handle the load placed on it.
Read Sean Pomory's full review
Trish Lofton profile photo
December 11, 2018

Review: "Joomla! A small business answer with a big ROI!"

• Easily update pages
  • Great website templates can be found for free
  • Publishing websites are a breeze
  • Provide easier ways to format text
  • More template options
  • Easy to understand instruction manual
Joomla! is a great open source software that can handle most website needs. Some of the extensions can be difficult to use.
Read Trish Lofton's full review
Rahul Kumar Singh profile photo
December 05, 2018

Joomla Review: "The latest Content Management System equipped with powerful front-end and back-end"

• Joomla! does some things like content management, banner management and templates management very well. So these features are strength of Joomla!
  • If I talked about details then managing and creating menus is very easy in this tool.
  • Templates are flexible to use so one can easily use templates according to one's need
  • Joomla! has a problem with installing plugins that may [cause] problems sometimes when you try to install a plugin that is incompatible
  • Once you [have] made your website layout and then if you change your mind to change the layout then it's a big pain in Joomla!
  • I have not observed it but people say it is not [very] SEO friendly
Joomla! is the latest technology used CMS with which one can use the front as well as back end of website very easily.

Managing users is again an advantage while you can not see these things in Blogger.
Read Rahul Kumar Singh's full review
August 28, 2018

Review: "Missing the Mark - Joomla!'s SEO and Mobile Optimization Capabilities Need An Upgrade"

Joomla is used by half of our small team, so roughly 4 people, all with varying levels of CMS experience and Joomla-specific knowledge. This was a legacy platform used by the firm and we have continued to use it as our primary website CMS.
  • Speedy publishing (ability to push content live)
  • Joomla extensions providing flexibility
  • Various permission levels for content access
  • Not necessarily SEO-friendly
  • Various extensions are not always compatible with one another
  • Overall UI and UX of the CMS itself is confusing and often takes way too much time to ramp; it's not very "user-friendly" to borrow a buzzword, and it often takes new team members longer than anticipated to ramp up and feel comfortable using the platform
  • Lack of safety and security features to protect site content and user/member information collected through the platform
Joomla! is best suited for developer-types and those with more advanced knowledge of navigating CMS systems. I find it difficult to manage SEO-centric websites as opposed to ones with more visual assets. More creative departments or marketing teams may not be best suited for Joomla! and may prefer a more user-friendly interface like WordPress.
Ho'omana Nathan Horton profile photo
January 24, 2018

Joomla Review: "Great, straightforward CMS that allows easy allocation of management of various pages"

We use this to manage the pages for the English Department at a big university, so we have total access but each program or individual represented can, if they wish, have control over their own page.
  • I love the ability to assign users different levels/areas of access so that they can keep pages updated themselves and I'm not constantly updating something when someone emails me. This is an especially nice feature the bigger the pool of people who need to edit the page gets.
  • Joomla's interface looks a little old-fashioned and can be a bit finicky, which is intimidating to less experienced users.
Joomla! is great for giving lots of different users access to individual pages. If you want to manage a website but not have to receive countless emails requesting updates, you can give users the opportunity to make changes and updates themselves (and manage their access so that they can only edit what they're assigned). For an individual or a smaller company though, this may not be the best or simplest solution (something like Squarespace may better serve your needs).
Read Ho'omana Nathan Horton's full review
Danielle A. Pingitore profile photo
July 26, 2017

User Review: "Joomla! is a great tool for anyone!"

Joomla! is used by our marketing and web development teams. We design websites to hand off to our clients and also teach them to use it in order to allow them to make small changes. It addresses many problems such as time management and reliability. Being that we hand these sites off, they need to be user-friendly and easy to teach.
  • Keeps content organized
  • Safe to use
  • Teachable to someone who is not a web developer
  • Make things more customizable
  • Sites are a nightmare as far as responsiveness via tablet and phone
  • Add more templates
Joomla! is good for a lot of different people/businesses - but especially if other people need to learn the system and never used it before. It is pretty easy to learn and pass off for edits (content wise). It's also easy to build if you don't need a highly customized website.
Read Danielle A. Pingitore's full review
Eli Aschkenasy profile photo
September 19, 2016

User Review: "Joomla!, a view from the trenches"

We use joomla! for a wide variety of projects, both internally and for clients. We use joomla! as a pure CMS for marketing projects as well as the core platform on which we build custom components servicing anything from price model calculations in the manufacturing sector to auction engine design in the food sector.
  • In my opinion, the diversity of joomla! is its strength. The fact that we can have a marketing 'website' with minimal customization on the same platform as we have a transactional 'application' allows us to diversify the services we're offering.
  • Another big advantage is the amount of knowledgeable people in the community. While being a FOSS (free open source software) assumes an active community, the joomla! community is eager to help at any level of question and for any user level.
  • One of the biggest problems in my opinion is the requirement of backwards compatibility which has two side effects. First, it can't take advantage of new design (programming) principles and changes are very slow to be incorporated. Second, the code base is bloated and 'heavy'. Sometimes the wheel is being re-invented and outdated solutions have to be maintained because of code/functionality dependencies that have to stay active.
  • Another (maybe even more problematic) issue is the lack of talent in certain markets. The US is a prime example for this. It is extraordinarily difficult putting a team of good developers together when announcing the project to be joomla based. (Tip: framing the project as PHP based and then on-boarding the team by explaining the nuances has been a proven remedy)
  • Europe, on the other hand, has an abundance of talent, so if you're contemplating outsourcing, joomla! is a very good option.
Not to sound too cliche, but it depends. There is no formula for recommending any platform for any use case. We have worked with all three (major) platforms, namely WordPress, joomla!, and Drupal and have found that it depends on things like previous experiences of the maintainers (for client sites). Tt depends on off the shelf extensions for the business goals at hand; it depends on brand name when VC (Venture Capital) is desired or required (in the US, joomla! isn't well received by VC, also opposed to Europe where WordPress is a hindering block)
My recommendation is to have a conversation about the project and weigh all options. If anyone ever tells you 'platform XYZ is the best' re-evaluate their validity.
Read Eli Aschkenasy's full review
Robert Jacobi profile photo
June 14, 2016

User Review: "Joomla! The Flexible Business Solution"

We use Joomla! internally and externally on behalf of Fortune 50 to entrepreneurial firms. Joomla! addresses simplified management, great flexibility, and proper model–view–controller (MVC) development. With these tools, the least technical users in an organization can make significant content contributions, and developers are able to leverage a robust platform for significant customization with minimal distraction. Additionally, Joomla! is the first open source content management system (CMS) to be mobile ready and responsive utilizing Twitter's bootstrap framework. Out of the box Joomla! is ready to deliver.
  • Built-in and built-upon a mobile ready framework
  • Easy to utilize content creation
  • Model–view–controller (MVC) framework for highly customizable web applications
  • Powerful and detailed access control could be more intuitive
Joomla! does not require a full-time developer on staff to manage it day-to-day. If evaluating other content management systems, the question to ask is whether you have in-house resources to support a different CMS.
Read Robert Jacobi's full review
James Fauria profile photo
December 23, 2015

Review: "Why Joomla still matters and the benefits of its use!"

From 2011-2013, as the Web Master for the City of Pomona I personally built a 300+ page website for a city government with little to no budget. The old website was antiquated and didn't allow for the easy and quick editing and dissemination of important information for the public citizens to obtain. After implementing Joomla, the City of Pomona’s website now has these features:

• Each department has its own individual folder to store its data in.

• The web administrator can Create users and groups and then assign them specific rights according to the built-in Access Control List (ACL) features of the new CMS system.

• Specific users with specific rights can sign-in to the website from the Front-End and edit/update content.

• When the web administrator posts new articles to the front page news section, it is also posted to the City’s FaceBook Page automatically with a Social Network AutoPoster.

• Specific users with specific rights can access, edit, and update the City’s Calendar, directly through the front end.

• The website features a contact manger that lists the pictures, phone numbers, email addresses, and fax numbers of the city’s departments, council members and the mayor.

• Utilizing the Joomla Content Editor (JCE) Component, when standard users sign into the website to edit or update, it’s easy for them to get work done because the JCE is incredibly user friendly and very similar to Microsoft Word.

There are many more beneficial features that are too numerous to list.
  • Joomla has a Built in Media Manager that allows you to create your own folder, name it whatever you like, and then configure the settings of your Media Manager to redirect to the new folder. Then, after that is complete, you can create other folders inside of the “Main Media” folder in a proper organized hierarchical manner.
  • Joomla’s Menu Manager is extensive and configurable. Joomla allows for an Unlimited amount of Links to have in your Unlimited amount of Menus.
  • No Separate “Page” and Separate “Post.” There’s only one type: “Article.” ALL “Pages” are “Articles.” All “Posts” are “Articles.”
  • Joomla has Unlimited Custom Module Management – Joomla gives you the ability to create your entire website out of Modules or simply create and manage as many modules as you want. You could put them anywhere you want, in any place, on any page you want. You can even put Modules into the Menu Items.
  • Joomla has a Built-in Access Control List (ACL). This allows you to create Specific Groups and then you can add Specific Users to those groups and manage with a fine granular approach, which group can access which individual part or element in the website.
  • Joomla lets you Sign-in to the website from the Front-End and edit/update content in Articles and Modules.
  • With Joomla there is one central place for installing Templates, Components, Plugins, or Modules: the Extension Manager
  • Joomla has built in Cache Control. This gives your site a quicker response to requests, if nothing has been change to an article or other element.
  • Joomla has a built in Contact Manager that includes Google’s new reCAPTCHA v2. This is the modern version that helps to block spam and other malicious submissions.
  • Joomla has built in Global Check in for items. Useful if you want to quickly return articles and release them from users editing it.
  • Joomla has a built in Language Manager. Very useful for International Websites or websites that welcome people who speak different languages.
  • Joomla is compatible with Microsoft Windows SQL Server and Microsoft Windows IIS Server so it could be seamlessly used in a Microsoft Environment. Most corporations run on Windows Networks with Windows Servers.
  • Joomla has a built in Authentication – LDAP plugin that synchronizes with Microsoft Windows Server’s Active Directory so you can just use your standard A.D. Login to sign in to Joomla on your organization’s Intranet Website. Implementing a Joomla based "Intranet" is a great low cost solution.
  • Joomla has built in Nested Categories. This provides for a more organized hierarchical atmosphere.
  • Joomla has built in Revision Control. In case something goes wrong in an article, you could revert back to a previous version.
  • Joomla has built in Tag Management. Tags help users to find articles pertaining to specific subject matters.
  • Joomla has built in Search Engine Optimization (SEO) settings on important parts of the Website including: Articles and Menus. This is where you can insert keywords and metadata. This helps with search engines.
  • Joomla has Search Engine Friendly (SEF) URL abilities that use Apache Mod_Re-Write. Instead of the user trying to read "?=itemid1" they will easily read "about" or "services" in the url of their web browser.
  • For Developers and Software Engineers:
  • Joomla is Object-Oriented Designed - Unlike Joomla's main competitors: Drupal and WordPress, Joomla, is an Object Oriented Designed (OOD) CMS. Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) takes the view that what we really care about are the "objects" we want to manipulate rather than the logic required to manipulate them. One of the principal advantages of object-oriented programming techniques over procedural programming techniques is that they enable programmers to create modules that do not need to be changed when a new type of object is added. A programmer can simply create a new object that inherits many of its features from existing objects. This makes object-oriented programs easier to modify.
  • For Developers and Software Engineers:
  • Joomla is MVC - Also unlike Joomla's competitors, Joomla's architecture is MVC. Model–View–Controller (MVC) is a software architectural pattern for implementing user interfaces. It divides a given software application into three interconnected parts, so as to separate internal representations of information from the ways that information is presented to or accepted from the user.
  • Joomla is SLOWER than its competitors. Although, with the implementation of new Solid State Device Hard Drives in Modern Website Host Servers, the slowness is becoming less noticeable.
  • The Image Editing abilities of the built in Media Manager are USELESS. WordPress is much better at built-in Image Editing.
  • The ability to either turn off or turn on, Automatic Menu Item Creation does NOT exist. WordPress is much better at that.
  • Sometimes, it seems like Joomla or its database becomes confused and\or Cache Build Up becomes a problem, and then the cache has to be cleaned out.
  • There is no built-in Automatic Cache Cleaning at configurable intervals.
  • The updating and upgrading process is easier than it ever has been, but it’s still not as flawless and as easygoing as WordPress.
  • NO Automatic Update abilities for Components, Modules, or Plugins.
  • Joomla is NOT nearly as popular or as used as WordPress.
  • Joomla lacks a comprehensive Preview ability. And there really isn't a good plugin for it. WordPress's Preview ability is far superior to both Joomla and Drupal.

Joomla! is very suitable and the best choice for medium to large sized organizations. For example a city government, county government, state government, a high school, college or university, a police department or a fire department. I do use Joomla! for small, medium, or large organizations or projects, but for some people it might be overkill. Just like any other piece of software, the developer and the administrator need to know how to use it.

I think a great use of Joomla! would be in the education sector. Joomla! has a wealth of Components, Modules, and Plugins.

Two of my favorites that I have been working with currently are:

1. Joomla’s: JomSocial http://www.jomsocial.com

2. Qontori Pte Ltd’s: Joomdle http://www.joomdle.com

The really awesome part about both is that Moodle and JomSocial can interconnect with each other providing an even more useful experience for students and staff in an Online Learning Environment.

In conclusion, I have had a great experience using Joomla and I will continue to use and implement it whenever I can.

Read James Fauria's full review
Rita Lewis profile photo
September 30, 2015

Review: "Joomla!, An Open Source CMS For The Rest of Us"

I am a freelance web designer and content strategist who uses Joomla! as my platform of choice to implement websites for small businesses and non-profits. These websites run the gamut from brochures, landing pages, e-commerce storefronts, to major information portals. Joomla! and its extensions handles all aspects of each of these types of sites.
  • Joomla! is a content management system based on a database so it creates web pages dynamically based on a single editor and keywords. This allows users to update the site themselves and let Joomla create the pages from their input in a familiar environment.
  • Joomla! is Open Source software managed by a non-profit organization called Open Source Matters. Because it's free under the GNU GPL license, there are millions of programmers worldwide working on the platform honing it and maintaining it. Open Source also means that there is a strong community of approximately 8 million users who cooperatively share this free software platform.
  • Joomla! is modular. You only use what you need for your particular project. Joomla! has an extremely strong value-added software community providing add-ons for security, editing, forms, newsletters, storefronts, payment gateways, SEO, and so forth.
  • Joomla! is currently split into a framework and kernel and because it is Open Source, programmers are using Joomla!'s framework to build enterprise-level content management systems and cloud-based systems such as Nooku. Joomla! complies with most standard modern software protocols and runs on LINUX/Apache/MySQL/PHP so it is highly secure and easy to set up.
  • Joomla!'s organization consists of a front-end and a backend (called the Administrator). The Administrator area is meant to be intuitive but falls short because of the complexity of its structure -- areas where you perform work. There is a strong learning curve to get used to modules, plug-ins, and components plus articles and categories and how they work together.
  • Joomla! has a rigid structure that allows only certain types of pages, namely blogs and lists of articles based on how you classify subjects. Everything in Joomla! is an article. You have to know content strategy to add appropriate keywords to ensure that your articles show up on the appropriate pages either with others tagged similarly, or by themselves. Navigation is based upon these keywords as well. You need to design the site before you jump in and add articles.
  • Joomla! is built using PHP and runs on an Apache server. As such, it is not totally secure from malicious attacks at the server level. Extra care has to be taken to set up passwords, roles, and permissions to ensure that spammers and hackers cannot touch the database or Administrator.
  • Joomla! is not meant to handle more than a medium- to small-sized website with up to one million concurrent users. It can be placed on the Cloud, such as Amazon Web Services, where instances of the platform can take more users, but it is not enterprise-level software.
In order to work with Joomla! you have to feel comfortable with software that is in perpetual beta testing. Joomla! is Open Source meaning that its programmers are volunteers and its maintenance is based on community support. You become part of that community of users when you use the platform. The various vendors create add-ons that cost for annual subscriptions for their support and updates. In fact, you also have to be comfortable with the idea that you don't own any of the software, rather you are leasing it under the Open Source license from these vendors who offer varying levels of help.

Joomla! is best used for projects that are stand-alone and created by developers who are used to the Open Source LAMP (LINUX/Apache/MySQL/PHP) environment as well as working in the browser rather than an organization structured around an IT department and its software development protocols. You build the site on your computer inside your browser and test it on the Internet. When your users are happy, you move the site to its home on the host server. You can also build the site directly on the host but hide it until it is built, but the bottom line is that Joomla! can be created by a single person or a small team but is not appropriate for an Enterprise organization.

Joomla! requires a hosting service that offers access to their root and provides high priority to the servers, high memory allocation, and the ability to display and upload large files. It is very I/O intensive. Always purchase a business-class hosting service with plenty of storage and bandwidth. Most Joomla! designers (vs. programmers) like to use a host that offers CPanel as its graphical user interface to the server.
Read Rita Lewis's full review
Michael Pignataro profile photo
December 23, 2015

Review: "Joomla - The Leading CMS (Content Management System)"

'corePHP' uses Joomla not only for our internal websites for 'corePHP' but we also build and customize our clients' websites to the demands and needs of the client. Our clients range from small to fortune 500 companies with vastly different needs. Joomla is an easy to use product for the end users as well as a powerful CMS to program in.
  • East of Use - Joomla has a very easy user interface for the backend where admins will manage their site and make updates when needed. With the latest version of Joomla you have responsive backend that makes updating your site on your mobile device easier.
  • Template Clubs - Its super easy for small companies to have professional looking templates with the latest design trends. This helps them look bigger and perform better then a cookie cutter template that you would typically see. Amazing template providers are gavick.com rockettheme.com bang2joom.com joomlart.com and yootheme.com
  • 3rd Party extensions - With the many 3rd party developers there are a lot of products that meet the small to medium size companies needs where we would go in and modify the functionality to meet the final needs of the clients. Great companies are www.corephp.com compojoom.com jomsocial.com ijoomla.com and MORE
  • Custom Development - When you can't find that perfect solution and you need something customize to meet your need. Joomla is very extendable and easy to build what you need. The great thing about Joomla is it is also very easy to grow your site with without the thought of abandoning the platform later. Joomla will grow with you!
  • This is from a coding view point. When modifying the code for users it is very difficult to use. Hoping in later versions this is cleaned up so it makes it easier for developers.
Joomla is one of those products that can fit many aspects. What is nice out of the box you have a powerful solution for your site. Adding on to Joomla with 3rd party extensions and custom development just enhances the site. Joomla is really strong with SEO which is important for many organizations.
Read Michael Pignataro's full review
Waseel Akbari profile photo
March 16, 2016

User Review: "About Joomla!"

We used it across the organization and granted different levels of access to employees. We used it for content management of a public facing website.
  • Content management
  • Build applications
  • Build and design websites
  • Creating your own templates and themes
Joomla! is very user freindly and easy to use.
Read Waseel Akbari's full review
Jerry Janes profile photo
July 07, 2015

Review: "Joomla is best now, and will be in the future."

If you are new to CMS development, Joomla is a good solution to learn and use. I started in web dev. as a designer with low coding skills. When the time came to make myself more productive to my clients, I knew CMSs were the way, so I researched many and the two I chose to learn were WordPress and Joomla, which I picked because of their open scalability. That was four years ago and I almost exclusively use Joomla today because in my opinion it far exceeds the functionality of WordPress and only is widening the gap with its advances like Joomla Framework, which will soon bring RAD to the masses. I am about empowering my clients to do for themselves and even if Joomla (currently) has a more steep learning curve than WordPress, if trained correctly, I find my clients quickly going from newbie to developer in a short time. I taught high school for ten years and know what and when something works for my students, so trust this former teacher and make your choice Joomla. You won't regret it.
  • Scalability
  • Modular
  • Steeper learning curve than WordPress
  • Less customization than Drupal
  • Newest 3x versions are lagging with 2x modules keeping up
I know others have said this, but I concur: Joomla is middle ground. WordPress is easier to learn but offers less functionality and scalability. Drupal offers more of latter but is harder to learn for the newbie. I choose Joomla time and time again for my clients for those reasons and use it myself for the same.
Read Jerry Janes's full review
Alex Jewell profile photo
July 07, 2015

User Review: "Joomla!: For What?"

As a contract-based developer for marketing agencies in the Chicagoland area, it is my job to quickly turn their aesthetic and brand development into viable, interactive web applications. Their clients generally need the following: the ability to log in and make changes themselves after the project is complete, the ability to keep track of users, and the ability to carry out business and communication using their web presence. Joomla makes it possible to check off these goals while still fitting within strict timelines.
  • Joomla! makes it easy to create pages and organize menus/navigation on the fly for flat content. An informational website is a synch with the quick CMS workflow for content.
  • Customizing or creating custom templates is quite easy with a basic understanding of HTML and CSS. Joomla! is incredibly flexible and customizable if you have the know-how and desire to make it your own, and its templating system is intuitive and not messy or too complicated.
  • Having users and keeping track of accounts and security levels is built-in and easy to do. Accounts are accessible and manageable, giving you a lot of control over who accesses and sees what, or who can edit and contribute to the content. Once again, this is a sign of Joomla!'s flexibility and scalability - the tools are there if you need or want them for your project.
  • Sometimes you end up locked into screens while editing or viewing settings and/or content. It'd be nice to not have to "cancel" a current action in order to quickly get somewhere else.
  • Certain common additions, such as forms, are not included in Joomla out of the box. Contact Forms, for example, should be easy to implement without third party plugins/extensions, but should also be customizable - a drag and drop sort of interface for form creation may be a critical addition to the system, as even the simplest websites generally have at least one.
  • Database issues are pretty common with Joomla!, especially when migrating to new servers and/or updating database information. The database connectivity should be streamlined so that developers don't get locked out and forced to edit core or config files manually on the server in order to fix it.
While Joomla! is highly flexible and scalable, projects oftentimes require custom solutions that are either hardcoded or better suited with other CMSs or frameworks (for example, an eCommerce site may need something like BigCommerce, Magento, etc.) So when, then, is Joomla! the solution? Joomla! is great for those mid-sized interactive websites which require users, multidimensional sitemaps (Joomla!'s easy creation and organization of content is great), and client access to the CMS and settings. It's good for the websites that aren't all static content, but also aren't greatly complex and custom. Add some powerful plugins into the mix, and you've got a great solution for those mid-sized projects.
Read Alex Jewell's full review
Mike Demopoulos profile photo
June 30, 2015

User Review: "10 Year of Joomla Use"

We use Joomla! as the backbone for our content management system for our clients. We use it for over 100 of our clients in the insurance and banking industries. We find it very easy to develop on while allowing our clients to fully manage their sites. What is unique is that it is open source which saves money for our clients in licensing fees.
  • The ability to build a site with no coding experience.
  • The ability for free software and hosting from joomla.org.
  • One of the world's most popular CMS systems.
  • Core in-line editing would be a nice feature.
  • Better marketing to help people understand why Joomla! is unique from other CMS systems.
I think Joomla! is best for web applications and full web sites. If you are looking for a stand along blog only solution WordPress would be a better fit. However even if you don't need a CMS you can use the Joomla! framework to build your application.
Read Mike Demopoulos's full review
Matt Lundstrom profile photo
July 20, 2015

"Joomla! Review"

We've been offering a web hosting platform that supports Joomla since it's inception. Our customers like the fact that they can click a button and have our system automatically install Joomla for them. Joomla is one of our most popular apps and is one of the most user-friendly apps available right now.
  • It is easy to use for most people.
  • There are lots of extensions available.
  • A wide variety of developers are able to expand Joomla due to it's open-source PHP code base.
  • Joomla could be better if it offered automatic updates out of the box.
  • Joomla could benefit from better documentation.
  • Requiring plugin vendors to auto-update would be wise as well.
Joomla is well suited for people with average to advanced [experience] looking to build a DIY website. If someone were looking for an app to do just that, I would recommend Joomla and a handful of others.
Read Matt Lundstrom's full review
Mark Goldsmith profile photo
July 20, 2015

User Review: "Joomla CMS 3.0 Solutions & Options"

I provide freelance contractor services for global businesses and organizations. I have been using Joomla CMS from J1.0 to current release of J3.4. I also have experience with both responsive Joomla templates and frameworks and the over 8000 possible extension solutions.

Open Source Advantages:
• Integrated Store (eCommerce)
• Social Networking
• Global Support Network
• Training & Tutorials
• 1000’s of potential solutions
• and much, much more
  • Cost effective, fast build, large support from contractors, developers and designers.
  • Hosting support and options.
  • As secure as any open source products and options
  • Provides integrated solutions like, eCommerce/Store, newsletter, community, events, forms...etc, over 8000 extensions and 3rd party integrations.
  • Free, while it can be customized, upgrades are released by the Joomla organizations.
  • Feature and upgrade cycle is dependent on the Joomla organization timelines and based on their priority feature releases.
  • General purpose core, good for many options, but some limitation for full customizations
Read Mark Goldsmith's full review
Cesar Babino profile photo
July 07, 2015

"Why Joomla can be a perfect option for your Corporate website?"

As a webdesign agency, we had implemented in different organizations with multiple users and responsibilities. One of the best features of this CMS (Content Management system) is the versatility to create users and assign them different access to components and/or modules. Beside the editorial profile you can give to each user to write, review or edit content. You can assign to each user or group of users access to specific areas (components, category of articles, specific articles, etc.) inside your administrative portal with the chance to just read and or write on the assigned sections.
  • Basic SEO, with very limited knowledge you are able to manage titles, meta tag descriptions and keywords, create sitemaps. And provide the initial elements every search engine require for indexing your webpage.
  • Responsive templates, you have a broad list of templates and components which are responsive and help your site adapt to desktop, tablets and phone without any problem. Also the opportunity to create specif modules just for any combination of devices (desktop, tablets or phones).
  • Broad list of components and modules, are you looking for an specific requirement for your website. You will find an application (component), Module or plugin already created that will avoid you development time. And the awareness that all software are supported and evolving with new features.
  • Update notification, even though you can see from your administrator access when a component, module or plugin needs to be updated. It would be great to get email notification when new versions arrive.
  • More Community user features, you can use different components to create a community of users. But it would be great to have the opportunity to create new information field for the user profile, picture and social platform links as a features in joomla user management.
  • More video tutorials introducing joomla and main features as specif information about installation and configuration.
  • Type of Business
  • # of Administrative users and roles
  • Type of functionality you are looking for your website
  • Implementation time
  • Type of content for your site.
  • Sitemap structure
  • Design Requirements
Read Cesar Babino's full review
Marni Derr profile photo
March 10, 2015

Review: "Joomla, Drupal, or WordPress? Oh My! How to Choose."

I currently specialize in using the Joomla CMS for an extensive range of web site types; From simple writer blogs to full corporate extranets, intranets, sales, portals, and knowledge bases. Joomla is easily used by employers and employees across an organization. In order to keep IT costs down, users with very little web knowledge can manage a Joomla web site with a few days of training. It is not necessary to know or understand coding or design.
  • Joomla has one of the largest communities of developers in the CMS market. With easy to install plug-n-go applications there is no need to hire a developer to custom build your web sites main features or functionality.
  • Joomla 3.2 and the available template frameworks are responsive, clean, and current. These frameworks keep updated on the cutting edge of mobile and web use.
  • With a few hours of training, most users can maintain and update a Joomla site as easily as you would write up a document.
  • Over the past few years Joomla remained behind in the ability to update a site easily, with few issues. Joomla is getting much better at one-click updates, but there can still be issues with other applications (components) that do not stay current.
  • Joomla does have a small learning curve. Although it is not necessary to know or understand any coding when utilizing Joomla, a user will need to understand how Joomla compiles it pages and how to create use the main features.
  • The choice of applications available can make it difficult to find the right one for your company. For example, there are 5-6 top eCommerce solutions on the market for Joomla. Careful thought and investigation should go into selecting the right one.
When selecting a CMS, it is important to understand the Server requirements. Though most hosting providers now automatically support CMS apps like WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla... you can select a less than adequate hosting system which will lead to frustration with the product. Always check Joomla requirements against what a hosting provider offers, less is not always the best way to go. With the correct server configuration a user will experience few issues.
Read Marni Derr's full review
Eyvonne Myers profile photo
June 30, 2015

Review: "I've come to know Joomla! through work, but use it for my own personal sites as well!"

Our company Cloudaccess.net is a Joomla! hosting company that specializes in hosting Joomla! sites optimally and offering most excellent support to our clients and customers who are building their websites using Joomla! on our platform.
  • Joomla! is very user friendly for all experience levels.
  • Joomla! is extremely flexible in the sense that you can build any type of website you want including an advanced E-commerce site or social media. The possibilities are endless.
  • The Extensions and templates that are available to use in building your site is wonderful. You can get beautiful designs from template manufactures in the community and at good costs as well as well functioning extensions that give you the abilities and functionalities you are looking for to make your sites vision come together.
  • The ACL manager for advanced user control is also a great feature. Being able to easily set up different access control levels for different types of users is a wonderful attribute. It can be as simple or complex as you need it to be.
  • I cannot think of any improvements I would like to see at this moment. The new version release has addressed a few of the previous bugs/ issues
Many clients tend to ask if Joomla! is good for complex sites and I would always say absolutely. Joomla! is very flexible and you can make your site as complex as you need it to be. Many Fortune 500 companies and enterprise level businesses have used the Joomla! platform to present their products and represent their web presence. Like I stated before, the possibilities are endless, from your simple personal blog site to an E-commerce store with thousands of products.
Read Eyvonne Myers's full review
Todd Bellamy profile photo
January 23, 2015

User Review: "Joomla! - Open Source CMS for Business"

Joomla is currently the content management solution for our website. Joomla provides for a user account based front and back end as well as a public website presence. We have also implemented customer contact forms within our Joomla site for reviews, quote requests and more. The entire organization provides content for our Joomla site. Sales and Marketing are the largest users and responsible for the majority of the content.
  • User management, the creation of custom groups of users, various security levels, and the ability to separate back end from front end users. For example you could grant a customer access to a particular front end page that has content dedicated to them only with a username and password, yet keep them from other customers files on the back end of the system.
  • Numerous free extensions, Joomla provides a solid foundation for whatever kind of site you would like to build and offers a range of not only free templates but free functions such as photo galleries, contact forms, shopping cart functions.
  • Joomla! extension development and customization for plugins and modules. With knowledge of MySQL and PHP a skilled developer, or in many cases, even novice users can create their own extensions. For example, we created a custom FTP front end to share files with users.
  • Joomla! is open source and therefore does not provide immediate support for the product. If a problem occurs during setup or operation the best way to solve a problem is report it to the Joomla! community support, but a quick fix to your problem is not guaranteed.
  • Joomla!'s data is held (typically) in a MySQL database that the user will never see. When a Joomla! site becomes very large with an extensive number of users and/or information it can become sluggish, but this can be mitigated with some basic database management skills, specifically someone who can create new indexes, procedures or someone who knows the data well enough to archive at a certain point.
  • Content Management Solutions, such as Joomla!, continuously update and change with the market requirements and security requirements of the online community. I would like to see a standardized backup and restore process implemented so that if a user does upgrade there system it is easily reverted and or changes are tracked more thoroughly.
When a powerful CMS is needed for a business I would recommend Joomla! over its competitors. Joomla! is great for handling data driven applications such as real estate, online shopping and so forth. Querying the database for properties and clothes is much faster than with competitors and the extraction of data into other systems for reporting is quite simple.
Read Todd Bellamy's full review
Jennifer de Spain profile photo
November 26, 2014

Review: "Why Joomla Should the the FIRST CMS You Look Into"

As the owner of a one-man show web design business, I use Joomla as a proficient way to expedite the process of building a high quality website that can become more feature rich as my clients' needs grow. I use Joomlas on 95% of my website jobs. For a developer/designer like myself, Joomla is a highly functional system that I can use and manipulate via code to give my clients the site they need.

Because the program itself is open source, it has a highly versatile structure allowing for task-specific plugins to be installed. The program and plugins can be easily manipulated via override code, and the Joomla help forum community is so responsive and knowledgeable, Joomla has has solved a number of tricky case by case business problems. Being open source, it is free to download for anyone with an internet connection, and any part of it can be "Frankensteined" into another CMS project. Its versatility allows me to quickly install 3rd-party plugins to create a blog, set up a robust and feature-rich Real Estate Management System, and even configure a fully functional social network community. These plugins may or may not be exactly how the client wants them to function or look right out of the box, so Joomla provides a well structured system for "overrrides' that allow for detailed customizations of the plugins. In the case that plugins or the default functionality of Joomla do not meet the requirements of the project, the Joomlas help forum community is there to help troubleshoot and even to create plugins with/for you to give you a jump start toward the solution or outright give you the solution to your problem.
  • The relationship between the frontend (visitor side) and the backend (admin side) of the website is well thought through and easy to handle. A visitor may register in the frontend and get special privileges on what they can see and what they can't. Admins can log into the front or the back and manage content, modules, and components on either side. Keeping the frontend and the backend separate gives an advantage to designers and developers, as they can work in the backend on, say, text for a page, save it, and then view it in a different tab as a separately logged in frontend registered user.
  • User group and access management is highly flexible. I had a client who had 7 different levels of members. Some members could have access to pages x, y, and z, some only x and y, and some only x and z. Joomla allowed me to create different user groups and access levels to accommodate this complex member access. Allowing one user to be part of multiple groups was a big part of making the particular membership system work efficiently
  • Joomla manages the content of the site in a database, with different aspects of the content being stored in different tables of the database. The organization of the database is very logical and easy to deal with, in the case that one would need to.
  • The code for the core Joomla system extremely well documented within the source code and is clean. Any code that it uses to render the content from the database is standard code compliant and does not raise any errors in the browser.
  • The current Joomla version, Joomla 3.x, uses redundant database calls when rendering the pages. When a page is being rendered, a specific file is used to control what shows up on the page. That file calls information from the database, so that the correct text, images, etc. are rendered onto the end page. Currently, unnecessary calls to the database are being made, making the pages load slower than they have in previous versions of Joomla.
  • I wish it was a little easier for clients to be able to manage their own content once the site is finished. It is not very hard to do once you are on the page you are editing, however, getting to that page from the backend is difficult for many novices, because they don't know the relationship between what they are editing and how it ends up on the frontend.
  • While the menu system is extremely logical for designers and developers, it is difficult for clients to set up new menu items or pages on their sites, beyond adding blog posts. To set up a menu, you...
  • Have to add a menu in the "Menu Manager"
  • Go to the "Module Manager" and place the menu into a module spot in the template
  • Create a category in the "Content Manager"
  • Create an article in the "Content Manager" that lives within a category that has already been created
  • Finally, a menu item must be added to the menu from part 1, that calls the article created in part 4.
  • This is highly organized when setting up the site, but is difficult to deal with for users who are not used to the set up.
Joomla is well suited for projects that either start out small and will need room to grow, or need to start out as medium to large. It can be a blog, social network, store, real estate system with fully integrated organic MLS (list of houses in the local listed house database), online e-course system, restaurant reservation and take out order system, it can be a hotel reservation system, video chat system, customer service system, RSVP system for events. The list can go on and on. It is hard to imagine something that would not be possible in Joomla.

It should be noted that Joomla is the base for all of these possibilities. Much of the functionality comes from third party plugins that utilize the structure and flexibility of the Joomla core. Many of these plugins cost money, but that depends purely on the plugin and third party developer's pricing policies. Some plugins are free, such as K2 (blogging) and some lower end Real Estate systems.

Overall, Joomla is highly flexible and will provide a great starting place for any sized site one can imagine, whether it is to Frankenstein parts of the core for another project, or to install plugins that enhance the features and build on the Joomla foundation.
Read Jennifer de Spain's full review
Janice Gentles-Jones profile photo
March 18, 2015

User Review: "Why I Choose Joomla over other CMS's"

I use Joomla to build websites for non-profit organizations and small businesses. I find it to be a great resource for non-profits who need functionality such as online donations, event registrations, online directories and online membership management. Joomla has some great extensions that makes it easy for users to manage these function right from within their website.
  • The new release of Joomla, version 3.x, has a new, user-friendly interface. This new interface reduces the learning curve a lot compared to the other versions. It also makes it easy to keep your website updated and to find extensions to add to your website.
  • Joomla is also great at managing different permission levels for users. For organizations that want to have members-only content and have different levels of membership and what people can see, Joomla 3.x handles this well without need a third-party extensions.
  • I find that Joomla has some great extensions for managing online donations, event registration and online membership. This is what makes me choose this CMS over many of the other popular CMS's out there.
  • Joomla does not have a good preview system. If you want to preview your pages before they go live you have to use a third-party extension. I wish this was built-in as this is a common feature in other popular CMS's.
  • I haven't found a great ecommerce system for Joomla yet. There are some semi-good ones but they are either overkill or not enough functionality.
Joomla works great for non-profit organizations that want to utilize the web for managing their donations and memberships online. It can be a lot more cost-effective than other vendors that have monthly cost for these services. For simple websites that do not need all the bells and whistles that a non-profit may need Joomla works well for also, although depending on the client's tech level and how often they'll be updating their website, I may choose a different CMS for their business.
Read Janice Gentles-Jones's full review

Role-based user permissions (24)
API (21)
Internationalization / multi-language (22)
WYSIWYG editor (26)
Code quality / cleanliness (23)
Admin section (24)
Page templates (24)
5.9
Library of website themes (22)
6.3
Mobile optimization / responsive design (22)
5.0
6.0
SEO support (23)
5.8
Bulk management (22)
Availability / breadth of extensions (24)
Community / comment management (23)
6.6

About Joomla

Joomla! is a free, open source content management system used to publish web content. Joomla is written in PHP, uses object-oriented programming (OOP) techniques and stores data in a MySQL, MS SQL, or PostgreSQL database.  Included features are page caching, RSS feeds, printable versions of pages, news flashes, blogs, polls, a search function, and support for language internationalization. Its dashboard organizing administrator tasks into context menus, from which content is edited, permissions set and changed, contacts managed, and messages sent to users. Extensions modify functionality in widely varying ways and provide flexibility.