Adobe Business Catalyst is an all-in-one cloud-hosted system for building and managing web content and on online store. It has a built-in CRM framework, and sales, service, and marketing features including eCommerce and Email Marketing tools. It was acquired by Adobe in 2009, five years after the original company was founded.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/u8/3P/RW47J0C8SA3I.pngIf only Adobe BC accounts could stop charging for unwanted services - Be careful No BC Refund Policy Exisits !We have one website www.trackersecurity.co.uk created in-house using Adobe Muse hosted on BC, we do use and integrate some of the BC modules. We don't use the Newsletter or email services.,Server Uptime is good Online Chat is good Security is good Technical Service is good,If a customer has a query they don't listen to the customer they just look at ways to hide behind BC company policy. In the UK if a customer changes a subscription plan by law they have a 14 day cooling off period. BC doesn't allow a plan to be changed once it’s been upgraded even if this is within a 24 hour period. I understand that BC having to comply with international law is not going to happen and that's not what a customer would expect. But what I do expect is for their accounts department to actually consider and review a customer’s requests or simple error's made without just quoting company policy. In my case, I noticed our website was being tagged as NOT SECURE in Google Chrome Browser. I knew BC didn't offer SSL when I tried it a few years back but that I would check to see if they added that service. Sure enough, they added SSL certificates last summer, that’s was great news. So I read that SSL only came with the Platinum Service Plan and upgraded at a cost of $264.13 . Then a few minutes later I noticed that actually, I could have purchased the SSL on my current Web commerce plan (Gold Plan) for just $80. Within 24 hours I requested the upgrade be canceled and to just add SSL to my current plan. After all, we didn’t need a Platinum plan for our needs we only needed the SSL certification. The accounting department said this was not allowed or possible due to their cancellation policy of NO REFUNDS. They even suggested I could change back to GOLD service in the summer and then pay another $80 to add the SSL that would be lost. This is not the service I would expect. In strict comparison and contrast to our domain is hosted with GoDaddy and they will allow customers to change service policy at any time and they always Pro Rata any billing need meaning the customer is never charged for a service they don't want at that time. When a customer upgrades a service it should be upgraded for 12 months from the upgrade date. The old service remaining credit should be deducted from the new service subscription and BC should clearly display the upgrade price for the next 12 months. The customer should be given the opportunity to review the service cancellation policy before checking a check-box and then processing the order. BC fail to communicate important service upgrades such as SSL certification added last year. Someone could have called me on that emails get lost these days so what’s wrong with a plan good old fashioned phone call BC has changed their service plan names, that's not a problem in itself providing its communicated to the customer and that it is 100% adopted across all media platforms, user portal and billing etc. The WebCommerce Plan is also the Gold Plan and I was not aware of that so found it very confusing. When upgrading a service plan BC should provide pop up windows to highlight the company cancellation policy which is good standard practice,6,We do'nt have to worry about the website uptime and maintainence which means 100% avalibility to our customer to improvove our ROI We only want to pay for services that we use and the problem with bundled package services is that you can end up paying for more servicves than you need or use. whats wrong with given customers a service tick box and then providing them a price for what they are going to use rather than lots of unused services that reduce ROI We could have improved our ROI 7 months ago had we know about BC SSL certification upgrade, which improves SEO to improve our internet search results,,Adobe Illustrator CC, Adobe Photoshop, Google Analytics,Developer,100-1,000 pagesAdobe Business Catalyst Review From a Frequent User of Adobe BCWe using Adobe Business Catalyst to create websites for our clients. It helps to create dynamic websites.,Webapps is superb Liquid Code Access is great Documentation can be found easily,Phone Support Not Available Can't add your own SSL Certificate Blog System is not so good.,10,,Developer,More than 10,000 pages,13,5,10,Yes,Price Product Features Prior Experience with the Product Third-party Reviews,Depends on requirements,Implemented in-house,Yes,8,No,8,Yes,Holidays Like Christmas. Emergency support is available.,Yes,9Adobe Business Catalyst, A Solid Mid-Level hosted CMSWe implement BC sites for our web design clients on a regular basis. It is used by the Web Design and Development division of our company as one of several go-to options for CMS. We also use it as the platform for our corporate website. We use or have used almost every feature in Business Catalyst in the time we have used it across 30+ client sites.,The Web Apps element of Business Catalyst is unique among hosted CMS systems. It helps us solve unique challenges without involving heavy-duty programmers. As a Hosted CMS, it has a lot of great features without a ton of cost or liability being taken on which is important to us. BC has a growing developer community and has made significant upgrades over the past few years, which don't end up costing us more, and would be very expensive or time consuming in a traditional CMS Our client's like that it is from "Adobe" and that it has Dreamweaver integration. This provides them with a level of comfort that helps us sell the project.,There is a lot of documentation out there, but much of it is out of date or lacking in detail or specificity. The biggest weakness of BC is its support. While the chat feature is good, it has long hold times and staff that is not knowledgeable about the product. I doubt anyone in support has ever even built a site with Business Catalyst before. They need US support centers with actual designers or developers who would be able actually help. It seems like 50% of our support questions should be easy but end up being escalated as a "not for the development team" or never answered. The Admin UI could be more intuitive and the In-Content Editing is very difficult to actually use in practice with a novice client.,7,As someone who uses it on behalf of other clients, our ROI with BC is definitely positive. We needed a mid-range CMS without huge licensing costs to satisfy mid-range clients who have some dynamic needs but doesn't need the expense or liability of enterprise level products. Without it we would have lost possible customers or taken bigger hits on projects because of the costs involved with satisfying their mid-level needs Our clients are all usually very positive about the BC platform and are able to use it themselves which lessens our Support time/cost. To use the Web App element,. which we do on almost every site, you need to pay for the highest plan. This brings along with it many features most of our clients would never use. A more basic plan with that Web App capability would be a big improvement on our costs.,LightCMS, Evoq Content, WordPress, Squarespace, Wix, Drupal and DNN Platform,LightCMS, Evoq Content, Trello, Freshdesk,Developer,10-100 pagesAdobe Business Catalyst and why it is the solution for most small businessesI worked for a marketing company where we built websites for small to medium sized businesses. We built these websites which were generally fairly small in size but often for companies who had very few people with much in-depth computer or IT knowledge. So Adobe Business Catalyst was a great tool to rapidly create websites for these companies that fit their needs and were easy to edit while being a bit more user-friendly than some other platforms like Wordpress can be.,Probably one of the easiest e-commerce platforms to work in, it does take setup, but compared to a lot of other e-commerce solutions, this is probably the best one that I have seen that can be designed and implemented custom. Their template system works very well and allows you to create and re-use templates across Adobe Business Catalyst. Their pre-built modules are great, giving people a great way to use common web elements without having to use a plug-in or find some solution, it is simply built in and generally works exactly as you would expect. Adobe Business Catalyst is more of an all-around solution, providing elements that most smaller companies would have a hard time figuring out, since it includes the ability to build websites, send and track e-mails, analytics. It really is a powerful tool that would typically require a fair amount of coding knowledge and expertise but with the system already built, it can be easily modified and edited by those with limited or no coding knowledge at all.,They do not have the ability to create and build custom plug-ins for use on websites. They do not support every payment gateway, they support the major ones, and most others, but if you have some very unusual payment gateway, it might not be supported. The custom web apps were absolutely one of my favorite parts of this system, and it is really a shame that they do not allow them to be used on all tiers of the website, you have to get the web commerce tier to edit and use them.,8,Adobe Business Catalyst really allowed the marketing company that I worked for to help manage a fair number of websites for different clients easily. The platform took some time to get up and running and get used to, but after that it was very nice to manage everything in one place, so it definitely increased efficiency and speed of website building. Adobe Business Catalyst also has good support as well as having a lot of white-label training videos to help train non-technical users how to access their website and get data such as analytics and even edit parts of their website without needing to constantly ask someone else to do it for them. Adobe Business Catalyst is a little less popular than other options like Drupal, Wordpress and Joomla, therefore getting into it and getting started can be a bit of a learning curve. Adobe Business Catalyst allows you to charge your clients for their websites from inside the managing tools, and allows you to set your own prices and white label everything which is extremely nice!,Pardot and WordPress,WordPress, ion interactive, Pardot, Optimizely, Visual Website Optimizer,Developer,10-100 pagesBusiness Catalyst: The Chemistry Between Designer and ClientI currently use Adobe Business Catalyst in my personal business in multiple roles. As I develop web sites for clients I will upload test designs to BC for their test and approval. This workflow allows me to keep control of the design until it's finally approved. After it is approved I use BC as a resellable product to offer clients. Their analytic platform as well as their online editing capabilities make a great experience for my clients.,Analytics: I am able to see on multiple levels traffic, clicks, and most importantly search terms for improving SEO. The reports are easy to generate as well as read, especially for small inexperienced business owners. Marketing: When using the BC platform businesses are able to link up easily with Adobe Marketing to automatically send out emails and newsletters. Its a very smooth and painless process. Online Editing: This is probably the best part of BC. Once a design is approved and launched on the platform, my clients do not have to contact me for small content updates. This frees me up as a small business owner to concentrate on design, new clients, and larger projects for existing clients.,Multi Client Management: The dashboard for managing multiple clients as a reseller is a little difficult to get to. There is also no very easy way for me to manage multiple clients at once. I have to log into and out of individual client accounts to do billing or management. Lack of Server support: There are certain server protocols and languages that are not supported using BC. For example I cannot build a custom php database and upload to BC. I am required to use their tools.,9,The biggest returns I have seen come from using BC as an individual product in my offerings. I see that it is also growing as a product and Adobe is growing it as a lead generation platform. The second biggest positive impact to my business comes from the time saved in development. My target demographic is small to medium sized businesses and BC is perfect for marketing to this demographic. My biggest complaint is that there is a lack of server side customization. When clients ask me if a certain type of website or application can be done I automatically know that I cannot put that site on the BC platform.,,Adobe Photoshop,Content Author / Administrator,1-10 pages,1,1,Full Website Implementation Marketing campaigns Online Editing,When combined with Adobe Muse I can quickly create fully functional test mockups for clients within a few hours.,As my organization grows I would like to either see Adobe expand Marketing Cloud or make BC compatible with lead generation or tracking.,10,No,Price Product Usability Product Reputation Vendor Reputation,We did not go through a selection process with this software. We began using it when Adobe moved to the subscription model. This changed a lot about how we did business and what we could offer our clients. BC started as an add on service but then quickly moved to an integral part of our overall business model.,Implemented in-house,No,Change management was minimal,The biggest issue was realizing that I was unable to use this platform exclusively. I still have clients that require technology not offered by the BC platform.,10,No,9,No,Publishing to BC through Adobe Dreamweaver or Muse are the main reason I use the platform. This is done very well overall between the different software platforms. Integration with many of the widgets in Muse make the platform very usable for many different situations.,PHP or MySQL implementations are impossible with BC. BC requires that you use their custom database software. This is great but has less customization opportunity.,10
Adobe Business Catalyst

Adobe Business Catalyst Reviews

Adobe Business Catalyst
Filter 58 vetted Adobe Business Catalyst reviews and ratings
Richard Taylor profile photo
January 26, 2018

Adobe Business Catalyst Review: "If only Adobe BC accounts could stop charging for unwanted services - Be careful No BC Refund Policy Exisits !"

• Server Uptime is good
  • Online Chat is good
  • Security is good
  • Technical Service is good
  • If a customer has a query they don't listen to the customer they just look at ways to hide behind BC company policy. In the UK if a customer changes a subscription plan by law they have a 14 day cooling off period. BC doesn't allow a plan to be changed once it’s been upgraded even if this is within a 24 hour period. I understand that BC having to comply with international law is not going to happen and that's not what a customer would expect. But what I do expect is for their accounts department to actually consider and review a customer’s requests or simple error's made without just quoting company policy.
  • In my case, I noticed our website was being tagged as NOT SECURE in Google Chrome Browser. I knew BC didn't offer SSL when I tried it a few years back but that I would check to see if they added that service. Sure enough, they added SSL certificates last summer, that’s was great news. So I read that SSL only came with the Platinum Service Plan and upgraded at a cost of $264.13 . Then a few minutes later I noticed that actually, I could have purchased the SSL on my current Web commerce plan (Gold Plan) for just $80. Within 24 hours I requested the upgrade be canceled and to just add SSL to my current plan. After all, we didn’t need a Platinum plan for our needs we only needed the SSL certification. The accounting department said this was not allowed or possible due to their cancellation policy of NO REFUNDS. They even suggested I could change back to GOLD service in the summer and then pay another $80 to add the SSL that would be lost. This is not the service I would expect. In strict comparison and contrast to our domain is hosted with GoDaddy and they will allow customers to change service policy at any time and they always Pro Rata any billing need meaning the customer is never charged for a service they don't want at that time.
  • When a customer upgrades a service it should be upgraded for 12 months from the upgrade date. The old service remaining credit should be deducted from the new service subscription and BC should clearly display the upgrade price for the next 12 months. The customer should be given the opportunity to review the service cancellation policy before checking a check-box and then processing the order.
  • BC fail to communicate important service upgrades such as SSL certification added last year. Someone could have called me on that emails get lost these days so what’s wrong with a plan good old fashioned phone call
  • BC has changed their service plan names, that's not a problem in itself providing its communicated to the customer and that it is 100% adopted across all media platforms, user portal and billing etc. The WebCommerce Plan is also the Gold Plan and I was not aware of that so found it very confusing.
  • When upgrading a service plan BC should provide pop up windows to highlight the company cancellation policy which is good standard practice
The service provision is good the accounts customer service is poor so I would struggle to give BC a better than average review, if only they could offer customers a better accounts service then the value would be much higher.
Read Richard Taylor's full review
Lalit Kumar profile photo
January 26, 2018

"Adobe Business Catalyst Review From a Frequent User of Adobe BC"

• Webapps is superb
  • Liquid Code Access is great
  • Documentation can be found easily
  • Phone Support Not Available
  • Can't add your own SSL Certificate
  • Blog System is not so good.
Read Lalit Kumar's full review
John Reitz profile photo
February 16, 2017

Review: "Adobe Business Catalyst, A Solid Mid-Level hosted CMS"

• The Web Apps element of Business Catalyst is unique among hosted CMS systems. It helps us solve unique challenges without involving heavy-duty programmers.
  • As a Hosted CMS, it has a lot of great features without a ton of cost or liability being taken on which is important to us.
  • BC has a growing developer community and has made significant upgrades over the past few years, which don't end up costing us more, and would be very expensive or time consuming in a traditional CMS
  • Our client's like that it is from "Adobe" and that it has Dreamweaver integration. This provides them with a level of comfort that helps us sell the project.
  • There is a lot of documentation out there, but much of it is out of date or lacking in detail or specificity.
  • The biggest weakness of BC is its support. While the chat feature is good, it has long hold times and staff that is not knowledgeable about the product. I doubt anyone in support has ever even built a site with Business Catalyst before. They need US support centers with actual designers or developers who would be able actually help. It seems like 50% of our support questions should be easy but end up being escalated as a "not for the development team" or never answered.
  • The Admin UI could be more intuitive and the In-Content Editing is very difficult to actually use in practice with a novice client.
Adobe Business Catalyst is perfect when you need to create a data driven element for a site. The Web Apps element is great and not something other hosted CMS systems have. It is also a good product when someone wants to make use of multiple modules in one place such as having your website, CRM, online store and email marketing in one place. BC is fine for small sites, but is a bit over complicated and over-priced for a basic brochure-ware type site without any dynamic features. It also does not allow enough customization for a large enterprise level site with a demanding client. As a hosted solution, it has no ability for server-side development or other customization that might be needed on a very complex custom site.
Read John Reitz's full review
Jonathan Hodak profile photo
April 22, 2016

Review: "Adobe Business Catalyst and why it is the solution for most small businesses"

I worked for a marketing company where we built websites for small to medium sized businesses. We built these websites which were generally fairly small in size but often for companies who had very few people with much in-depth computer or IT knowledge. So Adobe Business Catalyst was a great tool to rapidly create websites for these companies that fit their needs and were easy to edit while being a bit more user-friendly than some other platforms like WordPress can be.
  • Probably one of the easiest e-commerce platforms to work in, it does take setup, but compared to a lot of other e-commerce solutions, this is probably the best one that I have seen that can be designed and implemented custom.
  • Their template system works very well and allows you to create and re-use templates across Adobe Business Catalyst.
  • Their pre-built modules are great, giving people a great way to use common web elements without having to use a plug-in or find some solution, it is simply built in and generally works exactly as you would expect.
  • Adobe Business Catalyst is more of an all-around solution, providing elements that most smaller companies would have a hard time figuring out, since it includes the ability to build websites, send and track e-mails, analytics. It really is a powerful tool that would typically require a fair amount of coding knowledge and expertise but with the system already built, it can be easily modified and edited by those with limited or no coding knowledge at all.
  • They do not have the ability to create and build custom plug-ins for use on websites.
  • They do not support every payment gateway, they support the major ones, and most others, but if you have some very unusual payment gateway, it might not be supported.
  • The custom web apps were absolutely one of my favorite parts of this system, and it is really a shame that they do not allow them to be used on all tiers of the website, you have to get the web commerce tier to edit and use them.

Adobe Business Catalyst is an absolute rock-star for companies that want an all in one solution, who have limited budgets and/or little technical expertise. It will scale well and can grow with your company. It is more complex and more flexible than something like Wix, where your options are heavily limited, but less open than WordPress where you can use plug-ins and custom code to rebuild how anything works. So it is a nice area in the middle.

Adobe Business Catalyst would probably not be a great solution for companies who want absolute control over their website and everything in it and have highly experienced technical resources to build out whatever they need since not every area of the website or server can be modified.

Read Jonathan Hodak's full review
Dan Butler profile photo
February 25, 2016

Adobe Business Catalyst Review: "Business Catalyst: The Chemistry Between Designer and Client"

• Analytics: I am able to see on multiple levels traffic, clicks, and most importantly search terms for improving SEO. The reports are easy to generate as well as read, especially for small inexperienced business owners.
  • Marketing: When using the BC platform businesses are able to link up easily with Adobe Marketing to automatically send out emails and newsletters. Its a very smooth and painless process.
  • Online Editing: This is probably the best part of BC. Once a design is approved and launched on the platform, my clients do not have to contact me for small content updates. This frees me up as a small business owner to concentrate on design, new clients, and larger projects for existing clients.
  • Multi Client Management: The dashboard for managing multiple clients as a reseller is a little difficult to get to. There is also no very easy way for me to manage multiple clients at once. I have to log into and out of individual client accounts to do billing or management.
  • Lack of Server support: There are certain server protocols and languages that are not supported using BC. For example I cannot build a custom php database and upload to BC. I am required to use their tools.
I feel that Adobe Business Catalyst (BC) is best suited to small businesses and free lance designers reselling to small businesses. The whole interface is very personal and easy to use from an inexperienced perspective. This makes it a perfect platform for small business websites or even portfolio websites. Its lack of different server side protocols and languages makes it perfect for the small scale web implementation.
Read Dan Butler's full review
Aaron Landry profile photo
June 08, 2016

Adobe Business Catalyst Review: "Developed for Speed"

We started using BusnessCatalyst across the organization as a solution for lower budget markets.
  • Webapps can be used for various content types and because the interface is simplified and standardized it's easy to give clients the ability to edit content without them having to modify html.
  • The template engine makes adding templates into the system and setting them up very fast. This helps to speed up development time.
  • Because BusinessCatalyst is a hosted solution, it removes the need for Server Management. Now that the BC API is more extensive and the content can be output via JSON, there seems to be nothing you can not do in the system.
  • BusinessCatalyst is a hosted solution and some can view this as a negative due to not having access directly to the server.
  • Some of the BuisnessCatalyst modules seem to never be updated or improved upon and it seems almost impossible to extend them into solutions that don't exist.
  • The Photo Gallery module is really easy to get setup however it is really difficult to extend due to the lack of access to do so.
  • It lacks a tagging system that can be used to output content. Currently it has categories which can be used but I don't think the original intention was this due to there only being three tiers available for use.
When integrating with other systems, it seems to not be a very good fit. For example, if I am a shop and I am not managing my entire inventory within the system, there are ways to get the data into and out of the system but they aren't as easy as integrating a solution on a server. It is very well suited for most if not all marketing websites.
Read Aaron Landry's full review
Kristi Millsap, MBA profile photo
May 31, 2016

Adobe Business Catalyst: "Business Catalyst Review: small to medium e-commerce businesses best option"

My experience with Business Catalyst includes my current role with Thrively Digital and my previous work at Alaska Railroad, though the survey structure did not allow me to indicate this. With Thrively, BC is used across the organization as a custom solution for many clients. With ARRC, I initially planned to use BC as the platform to replace an existing website.
  • BC has excellent integration of features that allow for end to end reporting
  • BC is flexible and adaptable through web apps and integrated modules
  • BC offers multi-level customization that can be done efficiently in several ways
  • I love web apps but it can be time consuming to get the bulk import file just right the first time
  • Support is good, but the effort to research can be massive for unusual issues
  • Metadata on blog posts and pages can require lots of content editing at a slow pace
Adobe Business Catalyst (BC) is a terrific solution for small to medium businesses that are able to leverage e-commerce and seek to have an all-in-one solution. It's less of a fit for larger businesses that will soon scale or enterprise-level websites that have internal and external focus web needs greater than e-commerce.
Read Kristi Millsap, MBA's full review
Andrew Conniff profile photo
May 04, 2016

Adobe Business Catalyst Review: "Business Catalyst in limited use scenarios"

When I first began freelancing web services I discovered Business Catalyst as a superior way to deliver a commercial web page for small businesses on a limited budget. As a web developer I know that a premium enterprise level web site is too expensive for most small companies. This includes the ongoing updates required by their developer. Business Catalyst allows template driven sites that the business owner can edit without hiring costly professionals.
  • The new templates have social connectivity built in which is very nice.
  • The Sites do a good job on newsletter templates and data tracking.
  • The in browser editing is a plus.
  • The initial cost is usually spent on a designer or content developer so the client can focus on a set up fee and then just the on going hosting. No long term fees for developers to come in and make edits.
  • It is SaaS, so the initial savings can seem costly if the site owner wants to redesign. It is still less costly than having a professional enterprise site built for you, but you will be limited by your budget.
  • It has been a while since I used it, but custom pages for businesses on Facebook was something that needed to be built by a developer and implemented.
My colleagues are all web developers, so unless they knew of someone who wanted a small scale site without investing in a modern web app I would not be likely to talk about Adobe Business Catalyst with them.
Read Andrew Conniff's full review
Nancy Sheridan profile photo
May 03, 2016

Adobe Business Catalyst Review: "Building Business with Business Catalyst"

We are a digital marketing/web design agency that uses Business Catalyst hosting for our web sites and sites we design for our customers. We prefer Business Catalyst over WordPress because it is more secure. B.C. web hosting plans include integrated marketing tools which can result in a savings for our customers (e.g. email campaigns ... no third party app). Adobe's technical support is excellent and the B.C. community is filled with helpful and skilled designers/developers.
  • Continues to upgrade/improve the platform. Moved hosting to Amazon cloud, a more secure environment. Added B.C. widgets factory to greatly enhance modules used.
  • BC apps are being developed by a third party (bcappstore.com). BC Gurus is a great platform for getting tutorials on how design, coding, and more. And they provide client tutorials.
  • Recent addition of Liquid logic on the server is the closest thing to server side programming on BC.
  • Great tech support.
  • I wish tech support would address issues with scripts, style sheets.
  • It would be very helpful if B.C. partners were notified about improvements, maintenance schedule, etc. instead of spending time researching.
As a partner, you have the option to use B.C templates or buy B.C. templates from third parties. If you choose to custom design a site, you can use B.C. content holders and modules in the build. Quite frankly, I like to encourage potential clients to move to B.C. instead of relying on WordPress because of security and I believe B.C. sites are easier to maintain.
Read Nancy Sheridan's full review
Goran Billingskog profile photo
March 16, 2016

Review: "Adobe Business Catalyst - the go-to choice for e-commerce"

Adobe Business Catalyst is a tool that we use for many of our clients. It simplifies the process of getting our clients online and making them look credible. It makes my life easier since I can manage many sites in one place.
  • The e-commerce module is the strength of Adobe Business Catalyst as I see it. It's easy to set up and establish a secure online store.
  • I like using the "content holder" interface. There are building blocks that simplify the process of adding re-usable content to any page.
  • Pricing seems inflexible and many times it's what makes my clients turn to other CMS systems. How can I defend spending $40 just because I want to use the BC Apps but have no use for the e-commerce function?
  • I used to have a plethora of templates that I could use as a starting point. They are now gone and I miss them.
Use BC for e-commerce. If you are not using e-commerce you might look at other CMSs.
Read Goran Billingskog's full review
Hudsen Smith profile photo
September 30, 2015

Adobe Business Catalyst Review: "Business Catalyst may save the world from bad websites."

We are currently using Business Catalyst as the main CMS to manage and maintain our corporate website. It provides a robust amount of features that covers everything we need and more. The Web Apps features help with any unforseen limitations we could possibly run into in the future. We are extremely pleased with the stability and quality of the product.
  • Extremely stable platform.
  • Very flexible with the modules and web apps features.
  • The development UI side of the platform makes it very comfortable and easy for front end coding.
  • Better drill down of the reports & analytics feature.
  • Better integration and clarity with the CRM (Customer Relations Management) section.
  • More selection of HTML5/CSS3 Responsive templates.
Business Catalyst is suited for most web development scenarios. May suggest other options if running a very large ecommerce store, or if they need very specific needs regarding custom coding on a website.
Read Hudsen Smith's full review
Jeff French profile photo
July 17, 2015

Adobe Business Catalyst Review: "From Business Catalyst to our own branded ZebraCatalyst"

We use Business Catalyst for our own company's web site and we also develop the majority of our web sites on the Business Catalyst platform. We are a small firm so we use it extensively for automating site editing, development and implementation of our client's sites. Dreamweaver templates were always cumbersome but with the Business Catalyst solution we no longer have to re-upload all affected pages. This also lets us style our navigation either within the administration or with or own CSS built for the site. The Content Holder module is probably our most used because it can hold any piece of information. We then insert the module tag where we know it is prone to being edited often. It is also very simple to teach clients how to edit parts of the site with this method. Those are only a few of the ways Business Catalyst helps us streamline our development process.
  • As mentioned previously, we use the Content Holder module quite often because of the ability to place any html content that is prone to being frequently edited. It simplifies the process and allows us to simplify our templates.
  • We also like the ease of the Photo Gallery and how simple it is to either add or remove photos from the gallery once it has been placed.
  • Media Downloads seems to be a very helpful resource. With its ability to be categorized both by file type and customized categories within the web site and then placed by category also helps us streamline document placement especially when there are large number of those resources to organize.
  • News is obviously a much needed resource and it is simple to add news items, classify them and place them on template pages where they are fed. It is one of the easiest items to teach new clients how to manage.
  • Web Apps is our most prized module because of the ease of creating a database, then being able to style the output in any shape form or fashion.
  • The Web Forms is very helpful and easy to create. Placing the forms is simple especially when inserting as a module. The problem comes after placement. It is time consuming if there are any edits that need to be made to the form. For example, if you are in the U.S., you typically do not want other countries to show up on a dropdown menu. It would be great if BC would allow you to check the countries (or states) that you want to be active. Also, often times within a web form you may want to include to separate address fields. That is not allowed unless you go back and do custom editing for the forms. "Workarounds" are typically possible but for the designer, anything that adds time to the process also cuts down on profitability.
  • Where we enjoy the ease of creating Photo Galleries, we also don't like the fact that you can style the output like you can within other module templates. For example, many clients would like to offer better descriptions and even style the descriptions. If displaying a photo from a art museum, you may want to give the proper title and that would include italicizing the name of the artwork.
  • One of our biggest pet peeves is the fact that BC only offers the European date style when displaying that dates in the modules. You should be able to check a box on which date style should be shown.
  • On Web Apps, almost everything is fantastic EXCEPT for the ability to sort web app items by date. If I wanted to create a calendar of events based on a web app I want to create, I would want to be able to display those items in chronological order.
  • The Event Module is great except the way it uses a quirky form to process payments and reserve events. It should behave more like an ecommerce solution where the form is easier to fill out, customize, submit and process.
The key question to a client would be to ask if they want to be able to do their own web site site maintenance without the need of software. The added benefit of the CMS is that it also comes with the CRM, e-Mail campaign capabilities, reporting and much more.
Read Jeff French's full review
Pauline Kraus profile photo
July 08, 2015

Adobe Business Catalyst Review: "One Login to Rule Them All"

We exclusively use the Business Catalyst platform for all of our web clients. It is an all in one product for hosting, email, email marketing, content management, blogs and ecommerce. Business Catalyst allows our clients to manage all the various system needed to run an successful online business with one login.
  • Blogs are one of the best ways to generate new content and gain organic rankings with search engines. Business Catalyst's built in blog engine allows users to have their blog resident on their website instead of having to maintain to two sites. This helps to keep the website fresh and builds SEO.
  • Business Catalyst provides a comprehensive Email Marketing module. Users can create and schedule email series. BC also allows for other modules to be placed within the email so that as you update content on your website you are also populating your email newsletter.
  • Although not a feature of Business Catalyst itself, there is a great community of BC partners that support one another. The community shares their knowledge and successes as well as their trials and tribulations. The community happily welcomes new partners without condition or judgement. Through the knowledge shared partners can learn about the platform itself, site building in general, tips on working with clients and how to build their own business.
  • Business Catalyst support is excellent. Being able to chat with support in real time while you are talking a client through a problem is a great asset.
  • The Web Apps module is a powerful feature which allows users to add content to the site while locking in the design. Users simply fill out a form and the information is added to the site perfectly formatted.
  • The ability to replicate sites allows partners to reproduce a successful site thereby reducing build time and increasing productivity and profits.
  • The learning curve can be steep.
  • There is no access to the server side programming so some functionality needs a work around or cannot be accomplished.
  • It is more expensive for users than many of the other website options.
Overall Business Catalyst is an excellent product especially for smaller agencies and freelancer developers.

Helpful resources for BC partners are:
Read Pauline Kraus's full review
Joel Lowther profile photo
September 30, 2015

Adobe Business Catalyst Review: "Business Catalyst Overview"

I am a small business owner and I decided to use Adobe Business Catalyst for my own website and to build websites for my clients using this platform. Using this platform I have been able to create eCommerce sites and introduce/train my clients to the CMS so they have been able to update their own content and products.
  • The ability to link a gateway to a shopping cart is simple and straightforward.
  • There is a lot of documentation on how to use their tools and features
  • The reports and statistics that are available through the admin portal is incredibly useful to be able to understand how to tighten up the usability of the created site.
  • The ability to create simple websites with strong CMS tools.
  • Being able to use custom XML with web apps is non-existent even though they have been working on the issue for awhile. They even showed me a beta version of their web apps that would have done just that. That was about 2 years ago.
  • It's email portal needs a lot of work.
The only time it isn't appropriate that I can think of is if the website has sensitive data and it has to sit on a server that is HIPAA compliant.
Read Joel Lowther's full review
Debra Scarpa profile photo
September 30, 2015

User Review: "I love Adobe Business Catalyst"

We use Adobe Business Catalyst to provide our clients with an all-in-one website Customer Management Solution. We have found that our clients love that they can easily edit their website, and that they can send emails through the backend. It is our highest recommended website platform to use for businesses that are looking to grow.
  • Web apps are a great way to create custom functionality for our client's websites that they can easily update at a later time.
  • The ability to duplicate websites saves a lot of productivity time.
  • Email Marketing through the backend and branded auto responders allow for a heightened customer experience. On top of that, these things are easy to set up.
  • The blog module could be improved so there is more functionality and more freedom for easy customization.
  • Multiple files upload into the Media Downloads module would be a great feature to have.
Adobe Business Catalyst is a great platform. However, we tend to not recommend it for large blog based websites or large E-Commerce websites.
Read Debra Scarpa's full review
Jerry Dever profile photo
July 07, 2015

Adobe Business Catalyst Review: "Adobe BC - Get your business online quickly"

We use Adobe Business Catalyst for our own website. We also help other companies get their businesses online using Adobe Business Catalyst.
  • Get a website online quickly
  • Build small databases quickly
  • Train end-users to use BC quickly
  • Build web galleries quickly
  • Need to be able to build a relational database inside BC
  • Need to be able to easily reference outside links in BC
  • Cancelling a website isn't always easy
Adobe Business Catalyst is well suited for most online businesses (i.e., online store, brochure site etc.).
Read Jerry Dever's full review
Tova Raykin profile photo
June 30, 2015

Adobe Business Catalyst Review: "Great catalyst for business!"

Adobe Business Catalyst was used to increase product offering, engagement and implementation for e-commerce websites, brochure sites, blogs and applications for clients across the globe.
  • Customizable
  • Decent Support
  • Good range of offerings
  • Bug fixes
  • Communication with partners
  • Extensibility
Adobe Business Catalyst is very well suited to any small/medium digital agency or freelancer looking to create websites for clients.
Read Tova Raykin's full review
Sean Parnell profile photo
December 09, 2014

"Innovaxis Marketing Review of Adobe Business Catalyst"

As an Adobe partner, Business Catalyst is our preferred website content management system for the vast majority of websites we design, develop and implement. We also use Adobe Business Catalyst for our website as well as CRM. We became a partner because Business Catalyst is the easiest web CMS I have ever used over the past 20 years - easiest to develop to, easiest to build out new websites, and easiest for our clients to maintain their own website and add content.
  • It's easy for my design team to turn Adobe InDesign or Photoshop files into HTML and CSS
  • It's easy for my production team to build out the whole site in terms of content and on-site search engine optimization (SEO)
  • It's easy for our clients to log in, add new pages, update the navigation, blog, and add contact forms
  • Some clients really like the email marketing capability, especially as this functionality usually doesn't cost them anything extra
  • Our e-commerce clients really like how easy it is to set up and maintain
  • Adding unique page titles and meta descriptions to the blog has been challenging especially relating to tags and the "pages" that are automatically generated for them - we'd like this to be a lot easier
  • In-context editing is kind of cool but is really slow loading and it's difficult for my design team to set this up properly
  • You cannot redirect certain pages that no longer exist, so our clients get dinged in Google Webmaster Tools for pages no longer there - e.g. database-created pages with question marks in the name, .apsx pages and some other funky file types
  • When uploading contacts from an email list, we have to contact Adobe directly to get them to manually "verify" each contact so we can email them - we've already gotten permission from them and don't want to have to email them just to get there permission again to satisfy Adobe
  • When editing a page, it sometimes loses its formatting after saving in the viewer - the changes are still there, it just doesn't display properly. This used to happen on every save and now happens intermittently
Adobe Business Catalyst is easier to use than WordPress and is infinitely better than other open source platforms like Joomla, Drupal, Umbraco, and Ruby on Rails. This holds true for both website developers to build new websites as well as for end-users to write blogs, edit website content, upload images, embed videos., etc. As a result, Adobe Business Catalyst is ideal for about 90% of websites out there: from business-to-business (our focus as Innovaxis) and small to medium business-to-consumer sites. It's not as useful for large consumer e-commerce sites that need a high degree of customization (where a lot of people use Magento), but Business Catalyst is good for just about everything else. Our clients are very happy with it.
Read Sean Parnell's full review
Victor Campos profile photo
November 26, 2014

Adobe Business Catalyst Review: "Business Catalyst - The Right Solution for Certain Clients"

Business Catalyst has been used as a CRM solution for a client. The client has an eCommerce aspect and a large database of current, former, and potential clients. A redesign of the client's site was needed, so BC was used in that aspect, too. The client needed a way to market to their uses, so Business Catalyst was ideal for that.
  • Managing the customer database
  • Setting up drip email marketing campaigns
  • A template-based design
  • Initial cost of the platform can be daunting
  • Since the platform itself was in transition, we needed to edit various highly technical aspects to make sure the site didn't go down
Business Catalyst is well-suited for clients that need an all-in-one solution: customer relationship management; product inventory management; eCommerce; email marketing. Because BC is a very powerful and all-encompassing solution, it is not the best one for many clients. They would be paying for many features that they would probably never use.
I like that it is tightly-integrated with Adobe Creative Cloud, specifically, Dreamweaver. This gives one more control to make great designs.
Read Victor Campos's full review
Scott Shefler profile photo
April 19, 2014

Review: "Adobe Business Catalyst - An all-in-one solution like nothing else out there"

Adobe Business Catalyst is a hosted CMS that enables our company to scale our business. The platform has predefined functionality that allows us to create comprehensive web sites out of the box while still being able to extend the platform to deliver advanced web solutions. In order to best serve our clients we solely work on the Adobe Business Catalyst platform which allows us to become experts at what we do and provide a higher level of support to our clients.
  • Ability to rapidly build robust websites
  • Hosted CMS and Software as a Service (Saas) model - updates and improvements are constantly being made. Don't have to worry about upgrading or managing servers
  • Easy to use interface that allows our clients to make simple updates to their websites and manage their business online
  • eCommerce is in need of an overhaul to compete with other solutions out there
  • Site performance is not as consistent as it should be especially when the platform is pushed to its limits
Business Catalyst is a scalable solution for most small to medium sized companies. While not right for every company, Business Catalyst is fluid enough to meet most business demands. The Adobe Business Catalyst Community helps to educate developers and agencies by providing resources to better equip us with the tools and knowledge to build better websites on the system. Resources like BC Gurus, BC Academe, Kiyuco, Tribe Vita to name a few.
Read Scott Shefler's full review
December 17, 2014

Adobe Business Catalyst: "A Review of the Adobe Family"

The creative suite by Adobe is being utilized primarily by our design department. We use a variety of Adobe programs, but mostly Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere, and Media Encoder. Our inbound marketing agency handles everything from website designs to video production, so having the Adobe products to support our needs is necessary.
  • The Adobe programs are particularly strong by their continuity throughout the entire system. It is fairly simple to jump from one program to the next with ease, as long as you understand at least one program in depth.
  • The Creative Cloud system does create a very convenient environment for keeping our programs up to date, and offering the ability to download whatever program we might now, rather than forcing us to download EVERY Adobe program.
  • While there can be short comings with some things, for the most part Adobe has done a fantastic job of monitoring trends in the design world and responding to those trends with specific tools.
  • I have run into some Adobe CC shortcomings. Video, specifically, seems to lack options. I was recently required to download a third party system to translate my video into web-ideal formats, such as .ogg and .webm. These are fairly common as web-optimized videos. I was very disappointed that Adobe's fairly advanced video software was unable to export in these formats.
  • In addition to the video software shortcomings, I am usually disappointed with the online help options. Adobe is an extremely expensive product, so I naturally expect to have help at my fingertips whenever I may need it. Unfortunately, I am often relying on public forums, where the only professionals that comment end up redirecting you half a dozen times to find the information you need. It would be positively lovely to have 'chat' capabilities with professionals associated with specific programs.
  • There are some tools that I think could be simplified in some of the programs. A specific example would be InDesign's color swatches and pantone controls. It took quite a while to figure out how to create a 2-color printing safe document, and it is needlessly difficult to accomplish.
Well, folks, I hate to tell you this, but you don't have very many options. Sure, there are open source programs out there, as well as cheap knock-offs of the Adobe products, but you will more than likely end up buying CC after a couple weeks of struggle and strife. My largest criticism for the Adobe products would be the enormous price tag attached, as well as the EXTREMELY limited options to own just one or two Adobe programs. While working at a marketing agency, it comes in handy to have all the programs. If I where to rely on photography as a source of income instead, I would not want to pay money that gets me ALL of the programs. I would want the option to purchase Photoshop, Lightroom, and perhaps one or two other programs alone.

WYSIWYG email editor (13)
2.7
Dynamic content (15)
Ability to test dynamic content (11)
Landing pages (11)
6.6
A/B testing (5)
Mobile optimization (13)
Email deliverability (13)
List management (13)
3.3
Triggered drip sequences (8)
Lead nurturing (11)
1.9
Lead scoring and grading (8)
2.3
Data quality management (9)
1.5
Automated sales alerts and tasks (10)
1.9
Calendaring (10)
2.6
Event/webinar marketing (9)
2.4
Social sharing and campaigns (7)
Social profile integration (8)
Dashboards (15)
Standard reports (15)
Custom reports (12)
6.2
API (11)
6.7
Role-based workflow & approvals (14)
Customizability (13)
6.1
Integration with Salesforce.com (2)
5.5

About Adobe Business Catalyst

Adobe Business Catalyst is an all-in-one cloud-hosted system for building and managing web content and on online store. It has a built-in CRM framework, sales, service, and marketing features including eCommerce and Email Marketing tools. It was acquired by Adobe in 2009, five years after the original developers founded a company. It is a content management solution at minimum, and typical web content management features are present --themes, SEO, an editing interface, document management--, but with the built-in CRM and eCommerce it is targeted at businesses looking to sell online.

The yearly pricing plan for Adobe Business Catalyst starts at $10.99 per month with the narrower webBasics+ pack, which includes content management features and site analytics, as well as a hosted email. The $16.99 per month web marketing pack brings the CRM into the fold, as well as targeted email marketing and the blog. The $34.99 webCommerce pack adds the eCommerce solution, and for $52.99 and $71.99, you can expand access from 3 users to 5 and 10 users, respectively. Paying biyearly takes %5 further off the cost, paying month to month adds 10% to these prices.

Adobe Business Catalyst Integrations