Square POS is a point-of-sale software solution with features such as accept credit cards with your iPhone, Android, and iPad along with the flexibility to accept credit card payments anywhere, from Square headquartered in San Francisco, California.Square POS - A Must Have For Small Business!I am an independent Hairstylist & Makeup Artist. I use Square for all of my business needs - appointments, contacts, inventory, invoicing, sales, etc. It provides dynamic reporting & is easily accessible from anywhere, so I can take care of business whether I am in the salon, at home, or on the road.,It keeps track of my earnings & expenses & offers me a variety of ways to view & track the data. Provides an easily customizable scheduling interface, which allows me the ability to update my hours from day to day or week to week, see scheduled appointments, & accept or reject potential appointments. Provides both text & email appointment confirmation/reminders to my clients, automatically, saving me time.,I think the menu (both on the app & the online version) is a little disorganized & could stand to be improved/streamlined. Would like to see the ability to add more customization to the scheduling website (ie: ability to customize text, insert breaks/paragraphs in service descriptions, etc.) Ability to quickly add custom line items to a client's visit when checking out, rather than needing to choose from a pre-set list. Occasionally I need to add on a service or retail item that has not yet been entered into the list. Currently, I am unable to simply add this within the transaction. Instead, I have to go out of the transaction & into my retail or service list, create a new item (adding description, etc.,) save it, then return to the transaction to add it to the ticket.,10,ROI is perfect! Ease of transactions & scheduling has been great for me & for my clients. Clients love being able to log in to the scheduling portal & select their appointment time, without the need to call or email & wait for someone to get back to them. They can also view their previous appointments & transactions, which has been quite helpful for many. The client database allows me to keep up with important notes about client color, allergies, birthdays, or anything else I need to remember. I can easily access this information at each visit & recall their preferences.,,Google Drive, Microsoft 365 Business, Adobe Photoshop,1,1,Scheduling Financial Reporting Completing Transactions,Client Management Inventory Tracking Client Retention,Additional reporting as I grow my business Additional marketing functions as I grow my business,10SQUARE - the only POS you'll ever need!We use Square as our point of sale for our on-campus coffee shop on Sundays. It is also used for special events that want to use our coffee shop on campus. It has helped us track various espresso drinks being sold and we can begin tracking what supplies we need and track other various trends. Some of these trends include: number of drinks sold weekly, peak selling times, and top beverages being sold each week.,Simple design. It's simplistic design and minimalist approach is a joy to use. Easy set-up. Took around 15 minutes to have it up and running. User-friendly. Not difficult to understand how it works because it is designed to be very intuitive.,Cannot edit how the buttons look on the sales side. While I appreciate the minimalist approach, I wish minor adjustments could be made. Square Stand doesn't always stick well to the countertop. We cannot glue or screw down the device (per our preference) but when rotating it to a customer it is usually a two-handed job because the base turns as well and messes up the cord. Cables are minimal but not easy to hide. I wish it had a small box to put the cables into that could be secured to a wall beneath the counter. This just causes for clutter and concern that the cables (which are not braided) could easily be torn.,9,Great at gathering contact information! It's easy to email our customers if we desired to and also easy to decline that option as a customer. The stand, reader, and use of an iPad really makes a great first impression. Made us look like we really had more experience than we had when starting the coffee shop. Easy to train staff. We spent less time training them on Square and able to spend more time perfecting the art of steaming foam and making incredible espresso.,Clover,Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator CC, Adobe Acrobat DCExcellent for on the go payments!We use Square POS with all of our mobile events whether it’s a fundraiser for 300+ attendees or just taking donations at church. It has allowed us to meet donors where they are at and accept payments that are convenient for them.,Mobile payments Fast application updates Minimizing swipe errors Keeping up with changing needs (updated security measures of card company),Charge for more employees Easier adapted for iPhone 8 model,9,A huge increase in donations in person More on-site ticket sales at the event,quickbooks go,QuickBooks Online, CanvaSquare POS for My Small BusinessI am the sole owner of a small business (photography) and I use Square POS for most transactions. It gives me the ability to accept credit card payments from clients while on the go, which is essential to me because my business always operates on location. When customers choose to pay with cash, I can still record the payment and send them a receipt via Square.,The Square POS software is free to download (the physical card reader was also sent for free). I was happy to sign up for a POS system without having to pay a monthly fee. The interface of Square is minimalistic and easy to navigate. Even those who are not very tech savvy will be able to use it with little effort. Square POS automatically sends payments to my bank account without my needing to log in and transfer funds. Other bank-to-bank apps I've used don't initiate that transfer automatically.,I have not been able to find a way to directly contact support for Square POS. It would be good to have some sort of system of support for customers. When using the Square app on my phone, I'm not able to access all its features - I need to go online from a computer for this. It would be nice to have more control on my phone. If the card reader is unable to read a card, I have to pay a higher fee to enter the card number manually.,8,Square has postively impacted my business by giving me the ability to accept credit/debit cards as a form of payment, which is essential as at least 50% of my clients prefer to pay with a card. Square isn't free, and so it does cause me to incur expenses, especially when I need to run a card manually (like when a client needs to pay over the phone or when the card reader won't read). Square provides my clients a sense of security when they pay me, especially new clients, since their payment can be tracked and they immediately receive a receipt of their payment.,,Adobe Photoshop, Aperture, Google DriveQuick & Easy: Square POSWe use it for concession and merchandise sales. It's very user-friendly and easy to train staff and volunteers on. It's replaced our old clunky manual register system which gives us more counter space to display items for sale as well as eliminates a lot of user error when it comes to entering items. This has also been helpful in providing a more accurate count of inventory.,Cash transactions E-receipts Quick sales,Slow transactions: This could be a wifi issue, but sometimes the program freezes.,9,Accurate inventory Accurate cash handling Allows us to take credit cards when we were previously cash only,
Square POS

Square POS Reviews

Square POS
Filter 32 vetted Square POS reviews and ratings
Lori Scarmardo profile photo
November 12, 2018

Review: "Square POS - A Must Have For Small Business!"

• It keeps track of my earnings & expenses & offers me a variety of ways to view & track the data.
  • Provides an easily customizable scheduling interface, which allows me the ability to update my hours from day to day or week to week, see scheduled appointments, & accept or reject potential appointments.
  • Provides both text & email appointment confirmation/reminders to my clients, automatically, saving me time.
  • I think the menu (both on the app & the online version) is a little disorganized & could stand to be improved/streamlined.
  • Would like to see the ability to add more customization to the scheduling website (ie: ability to customize text, insert breaks/paragraphs in service descriptions, etc.)
  • Ability to quickly add custom line items to a client's visit when checking out, rather than needing to choose from a pre-set list. Occasionally I need to add on a service or retail item that has not yet been entered into the list. Currently, I am unable to simply add this within the transaction. Instead, I have to go out of the transaction & into my retail or service list, create a new item (adding description, etc.,) save it, then return to the transaction to add it to the ticket.
I think it is great for small businesses & particularly independent contractors (like stylists, MUAs, artists, etc) who need an easy, inexpensive way to handle their business & take it with them on the go. Very useful for anyone who does business "on location" & needs to be able to quickly & easily complete transactions.
Read Lori Scarmardo's full review
Brian Spatz profile photo
August 02, 2018

Square POS Review: "SQUARE - the only POS you'll ever need!"

• Simple design. It's simplistic design and minimalist approach is a joy to use.
  • Easy set-up. Took around 15 minutes to have it up and running.
  • User-friendly. Not difficult to understand how it works because it is designed to be very intuitive.
  • Cannot edit how the buttons look on the sales side. While I appreciate the minimalist approach, I wish minor adjustments could be made.
  • Square Stand doesn't always stick well to the countertop. We cannot glue or screw down the device (per our preference) but when rotating it to a customer it is usually a two-handed job because the base turns as well and messes up the cord.
  • Cables are minimal but not easy to hide. I wish it had a small box to put the cables into that could be secured to a wall beneath the counter. This just causes for clutter and concern that the cables (which are not braided) could easily be torn.
When picking out the point of sale equipment, we really like the user-friendly aspects of Square. We found it to be the most cost-effective solution for our need in the coffee shop and it was a simplified approach to the needs we had. We love the stand, chip reader, and ability to use Apple Pay.
Read Brian Spatz's full review
Kalyn Hoffman profile photo
April 02, 2018

Square POS Review: "Excellent for on the go payments!"

• Mobile payments
  • Fast application updates
  • Minimizing swipe errors
  • Keeping up with changing needs (updated security measures of card company)
  • Charge for more employees
  • Easier adapted for iPhone 8 model
Square POS is an excellent resource for small and medium-sized organizations alike. This software even works across multiple locations, organizing transactions by location!
Read Kalyn Hoffman's full review
Liz Wade profile photo
March 22, 2018

User Review: "Square POS for My Small Business"

• The Square POS software is free to download (the physical card reader was also sent for free). I was happy to sign up for a POS system without having to pay a monthly fee.
  • The interface of Square is minimalistic and easy to navigate. Even those who are not very tech savvy will be able to use it with little effort.
  • Square POS automatically sends payments to my bank account without my needing to log in and transfer funds. Other bank-to-bank apps I've used don't initiate that transfer automatically.
  • I have not been able to find a way to directly contact support for Square POS. It would be good to have some sort of system of support for customers.
  • When using the Square app on my phone, I'm not able to access all its features - I need to go online from a computer for this. It would be nice to have more control on my phone.
  • If the card reader is unable to read a card, I have to pay a higher fee to enter the card number manually.
Square POS is well suited for a small business or freelancer that needs the ability to run credit card payments on-the-go. That business will need computer access to make use of certain features. Because customer support is almost non-existent, be prepared to troubleshoot on your own if something strange happens. I would not recommend Square for larger business with higher inventory.
Read Liz Wade's full review
April 12, 2018

User Review: "Quick & Easy: Square POS"

• Cash transactions
  • E-receipts
  • Quick sales
  • Slow transactions: This could be a wifi issue, but sometimes the program freezes.
Square POS is perfect for quick sales of small items, or when you need a portal POS system. It's great for places that have a roving cashier or checkout spot, because it's so small and portable and can be easily configured anywhere or on a smartphone or tablet. I wouldn't recommend it in a place that consistently does high volume, as it may not be able to keep up with the demands.
George Bounacos profile photo
December 06, 2017

Square POS Review: "Square Won Our Business with Pricing & Has Kept it For Years With Reliability"

We are a digital marketing agency specializing in online advertising, search engine optimization, and social media. Our clients hire us for a project that requires a down payment and final payment or on a monthly retainer basis.

We charge a company's credit card for their advertising and other expenses plus our fees. Square allows us to receive an authorization from the client and save the card information on their system. Each month, we click the authorize button for that month's fees and the funds are deposited in our bank account the next business day.

The fees are the same as most merchant accounts. We save on lockbox fees or receiving checks via mail that are then deposited. Our clients like the convenience (and points!) of paying with credit cards. We like the fast turnaround, cash flow, and ease of processing.

• After you set a daily processing deadline time, charges processed by that time are deposited the next business day.
  • The reporting dash board looks overwhelming but that's because it has all of the the information that you've processed before. That was invaluable when we recently went to look at the detail on a two year old transaction and were able to find the information by ourselves.
  • The ability to use multiple devices is great. We can process charges on a computer, a tablet, or even a smartphone.
  • Receipts are automatically sent to the customer's preferred email or texted to their phone.
  • There is a lot of unbundling of services that could make it seem like you are always getting pitched for something new. And the company is constantly introducing new services so there is a steady stream of marketing.
  • The interface becomes cluttered with those services even if you don't sign up for them.
  • The interface with QuickBooks got good reviews, but our experience interfacing QuickBooks Online with Square did not work well and cost us money for our accountant to untangle the mess. Square could have used a good onboarding process there.
We're proof that a professional services company serving other organizations can benefit from what many consider to be a retail product. The fees are reasonable, and the cash in your bank account on the next business day can't be beaten. We have never experienced a single problem in processing a charge or receiving the funds.
Read George Bounacos's full review
Mary Bradley profile photo
November 06, 2017

Square POS Review: "Square it up!"

We use it for retail sales, whether in our studio or setup at remote locations (art fairs, tradeshows, etc.). It allows us to take credit card payment from our mobile devices, keep track of sales and inventory, and issue receipts for purchases. Prior to Square POS, small, traveling businesses like ours were either limited to accepting only cash (and missing out on sales opportunities) or using the carbon-copy credit card slips (risking bad cards and not receiving payments). We had looked into other merchant services, but many were expensive to get started and had monthly fees whether you were using them or not.
  • The interface is clean and easy to use for both retailers and the customers. Simple instructions and prompts lead the customer through the transaction, and a receipt can be emailed or texted at the end. At the end of the day, or week, or month, it is easy to track what sold, and in what quantities, and total sales.
  • Once a customer pays with Square POS (even with another retailer) their email/phone info can be saved for future use, making transactions even quicker. It is easy to apply discounts or change tax settings for another location. Customers can split transactions (say two people each want to pay half) with ease. While not ideal, the ability to take payment offline can be helpful at times if service is poor.
  • The ability to manage inventory on the app is very helpful as well. Knowing what the best-sellers are as well as what stock levels are low is very important for a business.
  • The transaction fees are very comparable to competitors.
  • If you have to enter the card manually, the transaction fee is 1% higher. We keep cards on file for wholesale orders and often run them through this way. Using Square Invoicing (having customers pay on their end) can avoid this problem.
  • Using the app on a phone, you can't access sales summaries. You have to download an additional app, Square Dashboard to view these things.
  • The chip card reader we use works well sometimes and seems to go in and out other times.
Great for small or new businesses, no account setup fee or monthly maintenance fees and free credit card readers (use headphone jack of phone). Easy to get started and use, sales tracking makes for easy sales tax reporting.

Not as ideal for tracking many, many SKUs (inefficient for locating/entering every time) or if you want to scan SKUs at checkout.
Read Mary Bradley's full review
AK Cyrway profile photo
November 02, 2017

Square POS Review: "Square's Our Choice!"

We use the POS and merchant services exclusively due to its versatility, features, and ease of use. Since implementing it in the beginning of 2014, Square has been an asset in both front end customer service and inventory management, as well as in our bookkeeping and accounting. Its customer database and marketing strategies are intuitive and easy to organise, and extremely helpful in keeping records of customer purchase history. We utilise many of the free to use functions of Square, as well as taking advantage of their affordable marketing and mass email marketing programme as well.
  • Ease of use; Square can be used as a simple merchant service terminal, or a full inventory tracking POS.
  • Intuitive customer database, purchase history, and email marketing.
  • Easy to understand and detailed sales reports.
  • No hassle refund requests, even partial refunds, and keeps records of these refunds attached to customer history.
  • Integrates easily with existing hardware.
  • The ability to send invoices from both the register terminal and from the dashboard.
  • Social media integration in their email marketing; while the Facebook integration is good, it could use room for improvement by allowing separate editing from the email aspect; the Messenger application could be easier to understand on how to use it. Also, include Twitter and Instagram to their social media marketing.
  • Editing items outside of a database, or dating seasonal items; we do a lot of artwork sales that rotate out after a couple of months, and dating when to add and remove these items would be a time saver.
  • Shipping integration - being able to produce mailing labels with major carriers.
  • Direct customer support; email support is great, but adding a chat support would also be beneficial.
Square is a powerful programme that can be used by anyone who takes any payments. We have used Square both in the shop and on-site; it can be used as a simple merchant service terminal for running credit cards, a cash register if one has a Bluetooth printer and till, or a full blown inventory tracking point of sale. Any mobile device can be turned into a register quickly in the need of extra processing units, especially during the holidays. Building customer databases and attaching purchasing histories to these databases is a huge plus.
Read AK Cyrway's full review
Shelle Pourmanafzadehardabili profile photo
November 07, 2017

User Review: "Square POS is a Yes"

We use square pos for clients who want to pay with a credit card. It is a much simpler solution than setting up credit card processing through the bank and supports chip and touch charge technology.
  • Square is easy to set up and payments are received in the bank in a very timely manner.
  • Square has done a great job a creating brand recognition and clients are happy to use it.
  • Square fees are reasonable/competitive.
  • Square readers are easy to use with our iPhones and iPads - unplug from one, plug into another. GREAT.
  • I'm pretty happy with Square. Perhaps adding a carrying case for those of us that frequently work onsite at other people's place of business.
  • Having an online button to do Square payments on one's website (like PayPal buy now buttons) would be GREAT.
I think it is well suited for anyone who is willing to accept credit card payments, pay a small fee and needs to collect payment from clients, no matter where you are.
Read Shelle Pourmanafzadehardabili's full review
Kelly Minyard profile photo
November 02, 2017

Square POS Review: "Affordable and convenient credit card processing"

I provide fee-for-service counseling to my clients, and the most convenient way for them to pay me for my services is with their credit card. I did research into the numerous options for processing credit cards for a small business, and square outranked them all in ease-of-use, affordability, and access to customer service. I am a small business owner and use Square multiple times per day. It enables my clients to have access to my services without the inconvenience of check writing or providing cash.
  • Low cost per transaction
  • Convenient and immediate processing
  • Easy invoicing/receipts
  • Great customer service
  • No way to integrate with the bookkeeping program I use
  • Difficulty with processing when internet connection is unstable
  • Not completely HIPAA compliant
Square is well suited for processing customer payments at a low to moderate volume. It is convenient also only if you have access to a phone or tablet device, or if you utilize a laptop computer on site. This would not be well suited for someone without a lot of technological understanding or ability to navigate electronic interfaces.
Read Kelly Minyard's full review
Grace Dvornik profile photo
November 02, 2017

Square POS Review: "great business tool - portable and easy to use!"

I consulted for a start-up clothing company and I worked at a florist - in both businesses we used Square POS. For the clothing company we used this software to conduct sales while out at events, such as farmers markets, fishing tournaments, etc. At the flower shop, we used Square POS in the store on all transactions.
  • easy to navigate the program
  • able to be used anywhere - in an office or out at events
  • convenient and straight forward
  • The attachment device for running credit cards can be difficult - it has to be positioned just so, otherwise it does not register a connection. This can slow down the sales process.
It is a great tool to use when going to pop-up events or conducting sales out of office. Having a point of sale app on my phone has been very convenient.
Read Grace Dvornik's full review
JoAnna Cohen profile photo
November 02, 2017

Square POS Review: "The Swiss Army knife of POS and retail solutions!"

[It's] Used for face to face sales at a distribution warehouse where previously there was no way to quickly enter pickup orders, and track the inventory. Now Square POS is used for both the sale and for inventory management at the location. It's easy to use and the visual experience is nice.
  • Product selection is fast, and searchable. Visual confirmation of having the right thing is right in front of you. Customizable.
  • Adding to an order, completing the sale is quick and painless. Payment is as easy as swipe or tap. Can select a customer from previous orders, see history.
  • Love the analytics and inventory management. Ties everything together from online store with BigCommerce too!
  • Wish we didn't have to pay for the email campaign function.
We don't have a huge in person retail presence, most of our payments and shoppers are online using square pos through our website - however, we use POS to help tie everything together and make the few retail purchases we have in person so much smoother. I don't think there's a scenario where you can't use Square. It's like a Swiss Army Knife.
Read JoAnna Cohen's full review
November 07, 2017

Square POS Review: "Square makes capturing donations easy too."

As a non-profit organization, we use Square POS primarily to accept donations when we host fundraising events. However, we also use it to accept payment when we provide services such as trainings, curricula, and film screenings of our documentaries or training films etc.
  • It's simple to use.
  • It provides options in the way that donors/customers receive receipts or verification of the transaction.
  • It's pretty affordable.
  • On occasion, the card reader doesn't function 100% well, but this keeps improving.
I use square pos both in person with a client/donor and over the phone since it includes the functionality of being able to enter a card number manually.
November 03, 2017

Square POS Review: "Easy, Quick, Professional - Square great for the small business."

Square is used by the whole organization. It solved our problem of being able to complete transactions for customers that only had a card. It also is used as a secondary reference to help track company finances.
  • Clients feel comfortable using Square as it is a leader in small business transactions
  • Creates a receipt for the customer
  • Tracks finances, which is especially nice when attending high volume sales events
  • I would like to see some type of incentive or way to eliminate the transaction fees.
  • I dont believe there is a way to set up reoccurring payments
  • The 1099-K is only eligible for users who process over 20,000 which is a lot for a small business who only uses Square occasionally
Sqaure is great for a "cash only" business where you get an occasional client who doesn't have any cash on them. Square is not something I would use for a business with high volume credit card sales, because you will rack up a lot in fees and also all of your transactions will be documented.
November 02, 2017

Square POS Review: "Square Advocate"

In my side business, I manage media and technology for a small up and coming Mexican restaurant chain. It is used daily by our cashiers, hourly employees, owners, and customers (in a manner of speaking). When looking at all of the options for credit card processing, POS software, and stacking the costs against each other, we have found Square to be the right POS solution for our organization and continues to be so.
  • Up-Time. In all our years, I can only remember being down once or twice.
  • Execution Simplicity. Anyone that knows how to use a smartphone, computer, or a tablet can figure out how to manage Square. It's very easy to manage/manipulate.
  • Trust/Spirit of Partnership. I don't come away with the feeling that they're out to rob me. Pricing is simple with no complex X,Y,Z scenarios. No monthly subscriptions, exorbitant fees, no headaches having to constantly renegotiate price increases, etc. They're constantly working on improvements and while they may not be state of the art, they're close enough.
  • Square needs to move more quickly with their industry verticals. There are some very easy opportunities to greatly expand on the functionality of square, particularly in the restaurant vertical, that I think the ROI would be a win/win for Square and their users. For example, porting the software for kiosk versions of square. Adding additional functionality around discounting so it's more in line with how coupons and promo codes are used today.
  • Marketing new features in a manner that's specific for industry verticals. New features come rolling out and sometimes they do not make sense for the restaurant space. Not to mention, not all restaurants are the same. Bearing in mind what works for the variety of sub-verticals like Quick Service/Bars and Restaurants/Full Service.
  • Time Card Management is sloppy. Have to integrate through POS, would be nice if there was a stand alone access app so cooks and cleaning crew don't have to monkey with the POS while managing customers. Would also be nice to access interface that was more intuitive for managing who's clocked in, who's not, and fixing erroneous punches.
  • Online Ordering, is so basic. A small investment in programming could make the interface and aesthetics so much better. Check out ChowNow online ordering plugin, it's sexy.
Square POS is perfect for someone that doesn't need an over-engineered system and doesn't want to drop a fortune in hardware purchases and training labor. Basic POS to collect payments, process orders, handle online ordering. If you're larger than mom/pop, and approaching a large chain, you may find yourself outgrowing it.
November 02, 2017

Square POS Review: "Love Square in a DME setting"

We use Square as a means of collecting payment from our different clinical locations. We are able to pre-collect on specific items which helps us with our overall receipt of payment, particularly for items not covered by a patient's health insurance. Each of our 30-odd clinicians use it while out in the field for a variety of different products.
  • Simple to use - straight forward to collect payment and add products, issue refunds and track types of payment.
  • Reliable - we are always able to collect payment, and while the transaction may not be complete until we are connected to better data signal or Wifi signal, the program will store the transaction until we are connected.
  • Feedback - ability to provide feedback on the types and amounts of sales.
  • N/A
Any business where collection of payment is remote I think is the IDEAL scenario for using Square POS. Any business that does not have a main billing office, or a home office, would also find benefit in using Square POS. I think having the ability to collect payment without a home base is awesomely convenient. Even businesses that do have an established space could find ways to use Square in their work place. It is extremely easy to use especially for credit/debit transactions.
November 03, 2017

User Review: "Square POS is Simply Awesome!"

Square POS is used to manage and process transactions at our organization. We are able to take payments, send receipts, analyze and track sales data, and send invoices painlessly. It is very easy to use, and easy for the customer too. You can even do rewards programs for your loyal customers and track their rewards easily by having them enter their phone number at checkout.
  • You're able to organize your products and services neatly in your POS in order to easily track or change pricing and inventory.
  • Customers can choose between digital and printed receipts to save money on paper.
  • You can track and analyze your sales by item, category, etc. and see what’s working/selling for your business and what's not.
  • I wish Square was able to take the e-gift cards online instead of in-store only.
  • I wish you were able to copy a product (and its modifiers) in the case that you have a lot of options for one specific item. (flavors, scents, etc.)
  • I wish their was a phone app that you could easily manage inventory and complete open sales through. For example... sending tracking # for a completed item via phone app.
I feel like Square can be well-suited for almost any business... but it works amazingly for small businesses. It is simple and easy to use, and painless to teach others how to use. You can easily manage your back end, inventory, sales, and open orders all in one place. I think bigger companies would run into issues with the limited e-commerce design options.
September 29, 2017

Square POS Review: "Easy to use, flexible POS"

We use the square POS system with our ipad and the card reader. It was easy to set up and we can take it anywhere.
  • Easy to set up
  • Reasonable fees
  • The hardware could be a little more durable. We have gone through a few of them.
Square works really well for a small business or a freelancer like myself. It gives the ability to take credit cards to pretty much anyone. For someone with a multi-location business or someone looking for a complete system to mange payments and inventory I would not recommend it.
Ruby Javaid profile photo
February 21, 2017

Review: "Selling goods? Square POS is for you! Fast, easy, and uncomplicated."

I am a freelance business, so whenever clients want to pay with credit card, I have Square as one my options. I also use an invoicing software that takes credit cards as well as an online website that run through a different system. Square was the first system I used when I first started out and it's a solid system, but I've found better alternatives throughout the years though I still use it occasionally. It's great for quick sales that don't require an invoice.
  • Quick POS capabilities
  • Ability to charge a "tax" that will essentially pass on credit card fees to the customer
  • Immediately emails receipt to customer so that I don't have to worry about it
  • I have the old Square attachment for my phone and it doesn't take the new chip cards. I have to purchase the new one in order to process those cards and that's kind of a nuisance.
I think it depends on what you're doing. I do a lot of freelance work, so often times the only way for me to get paid is to send and invoice breaking down hours and tasks performed, and I have a great software that does that for me. If I'm doing a consultation and I want to be paid right away for that, then it's easy for me to pull this out and charge the customer.
If you are a store that sells goods, this is probably more for you than if you offer services. Not to say that Square doesn't support services - it does, and pretty well - but it's just not as robust as other systems.
Read Ruby Javaid's full review