Square POS Reviews

September 21, 2020
Nathan Bowman | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Square POS for almost all of my merchandising sales—it's quick, fast, and easy to set up and since we're constantly on the go from festival to festival, job to job, I love that it's mobile-friendly. It's tough to find something that allows us to be up and running quickly since my team is often just a few people, and we can handle transactions while we're still in the process of loading in/out.
  • Mobile transactions (not like from a phone, but in terms of the ability to physically relocate rapidly).
  • Simple setup.
  • Generally uncomplicated pricing.
  • Widespread customer familiarity: because it's so regularly in use in our industry (musicians/entertainment professionals), people know and trust it in a way that you might not with a different provider.
  • I'm not a fan of some of their hardware (it's a little clunky in design).
  • Another hardware thing is that it can be hard to pair the chip reader with phones. If some of my team members like to use their own phones rather than my provided devices, that can complicate things a little.
  • I would like a little more flexible categorization in their sales reports, sometimes I want to really drill down into the data and I have to do it with a different set of tools.
I think that Square POS is pretty much the best thing going in terms of short term, pop up sales, or event marketing type situations. If you need to process payments quickly, assure customers that their data is being handled appropriately, and find a way to move your merchandise, Square is pretty great. I wouldn't think it would be as appropriate for a larger retailer—anything where you're handling hundreds of transactions at a time, or a day, I would look for something a little less 'start-upy'— if that makes sense.

But for my use case, as an entertainment professional, where I'm frequently handling 20-50 transactions an evening, moving locations rapidly, and needing to be able to grab analytic data without resorting to a pen and paper—square is pretty much perfect.
I haven't had to use much support from Square—the set up was pretty painless—and what questions I did have were answered by their documentation. I don't know that I can speak much to their in-person support because I haven't had to experience that yet. In general, we were able to pretty easily set up our system without much hassle.
Read Nathan Bowman's full review
October 07, 2020
Nathan Sichilongo | TrustRadius Reviewer
A client approached us to set up a sales system for their services and we stumbled upon Square POS. The simplicity of the setup process impressed us and we were able to get it up and running for testing within an hour. Training staff members was straightforward and the client was able to scale things up quickly. The client mainly wanted a solution that would allow them to keep track of their business sales online whether they were physically there or not. For a small business, Square POS is great, but for those with more advanced needs, another solution may be required.
  • Ease of Use. POS systems tend to be very messy and technical to set up. Square POS is nothing like that, a few clicks and questions and you are on your way, it really does not get easier than this in my opinion.
  • Initial investment cost is lower than other offerings - Somehow Square has found a way of making the entry cost low by not charging an upfront fee which makes it better to start using it.
  • Square making reporting simple. And this is a theme around the pros of Square POS, the level of simplicity here is unmatched by other solutions.
  • The system is not modular and has limited use cases. For example, product sales will do better with this than say those in certain service industries. In the case of one of our clients in the hospitality industry, we had to add some modules to make it work.
  • Hidden costs for modules. While we were impressed with the setup process, we soon found that to get the right fit, we had to enlist other services and this slowly added to the cost.
I would recommend it for small businesses those that sell physical products and collecting payments easily. This is where Square POS shines. It is in the services industry that Square lacks greatly because it is not modular to the needs of those who provide different services. If there was modularity say the way Woocommerce for Wordpress is set up, then Square POS would be a winner but at the moment modularity is limited. I think there are other free solutions that people can look at that can cater to those industries.
Square POS support is good, I would not say they are great. There is a good knowledge base that you can access and there are other service providers who support Square POS who can assist you, but I find that the lack of help and support for setting it up for different industries is a let down. We had to research for hours just to find a solution to fix our need for a billing option for services for example. It would be great if Square POS broadened its support and solutions for various industries.
Read Nathan Sichilongo's full review
September 22, 2020
Yvonne Graber | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Square POS in our organization to take credit cards online from our online e-commerce site. This has made taking credit card payments very easy. Also we use the Square reader for the iPhone when we have in person sales. It is a great time saver.
  • Tracks payments well.
  • Pays in a timely fashion.
  • Can always check payment online.
  • You can create an item list when using it for direct sales and set default prices for items.
  • I don't have any negatives with Square.
I think that Square is very good to use on sales valued up to $1000.00. I think if you have individual sales that are over $1000 each you can get a better rate thru your bank depending on your volume of sales.
Anytime I have had an issue (rarely) I contacted Square and it was fixed in a timely fashion. In all the years that I have been using Square I can say it has been quite reliable. Even when my developer was setting up my website and needed some assistance, he was always able to get answers quickly.
Read Yvonne Graber's full review
September 21, 2020
Kristi R-C, CTS, CQT | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Square to take payments for merchandise and organizational dues. The ease of processing both online and in-person has made it well worth the initial investment and fairly easy learning curve to get people up to speed with using it. The best part though has been having the date available for reporting and tax/accounting needs.
  • Takes payments.
  • Keeps data organized.
  • Provides reporting when we need it.
  • Maybe make it in different colors?
Anytime someone needs an easy way to be able to take payments and then have that information available for tax and accounting needs. The fact that it is an interface with a cell phone for immediate payments is a big plus. Fees are quite affordable and the learning curve is quick, and not steep.
Read Kristi R-C, CTS, CQT's full review
September 20, 2020
Jamaal Dickerson | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Square POS for merchandise within the organization and it has never been easier or faster to complete a transaction! The user interface has been thought through because it is so user friendly and easy to learn. There are many features like reports, inventory, etc. that has always been hard to manage prior to using Square.
  • Multiple features more than POS: inventory, reports, data, payment options, and more.
  • Modern and up to date.
  • Simple and easy to transport.
  • Sometimes the swiper does not read the card strip.
Square has made it easier for organizations to make sales and keep track of items. The best part for me is how easy it is to transport from one location to another. You are never stuck behind a register!
Square's customer service is outstanding! The sales reps were highly knowledgeable and the customer service reps have been able to answer every question I've had.
Read Jamaal Dickerson's full review
September 17, 2020
Michele Roy | TrustRadius Reviewer
Square POS was used by our church youth group for the Baja Ten Days Missions. We use Square POS to make it easier for us to raise monies for our youth mission trips during our Baja Marketplace and throughout the year. It addresses the issue that many people don't carry cash and/or checks with them anymore. We are in a 'plastic' society where most people utilize credit/debit cards to pay for many of their daily items, charity included. The Square POS system allowed us to accept credit/debit transactions with very little taken out for the use of their services.
  • Ease of use for customer
  • Ease of use for the business
  • Low cost of use for the business
  • Free Square POS unit
  • Separating charges was complicated at first, so it's not entirely user-friendly until you become familiar with the system.
  • The card reader didn't always function properly and we had to manually put the customer information into the system, but it worked most of the time.
  • Easier to navigate
Square POS is well suited to take anywhere, use anywhere; it's very portable. After getting familiar with the program, it is fairly easy to navigate but did take a bit of a learning curve to learn how to keep monies accountable for each individual. Once we overcame this learning curve, we were able to report and send the earnings to each individual accurately.
The only issue we had was resolved in one session, so our support was outstanding. In trying to separate individuals' monies and report them to our accounting department, while getting the monies to the right individuals, we got a bit confused and monies got co-mingled. But the assistance we received allowed us to correct our initial error and get going on the right path quickly.
Read Michele Roy's full review
September 22, 2020
Ryan Connolly | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Square POS at our company for taking deposits in person, which makes the process super simple. The mobile terminal allows me to take it with me to a client meeting if needed and be able to take a deposit on the spot. This saves us time when it comes to trying to collect payments remotely.
  • Very simple to use
  • Allows a variety of payment options
  • Offers great reporting
  • More options for freelancers
  • A more hands on onboarding experience
  • Better rates
Any small to medium business looking for a simple POS solution thats quick and easy to setup would do well choosing Square. Its very easy for any one to get set up with. I would say it's less appropriate as you grow as the credit card processing rates are not the greatest.
Square POS support is easy to get a hold of and provides a great level of service. I haven't had any trouble with square getting any issues addressed and resolved. This is very important with any sort of payment processing system has downtime can definitely cost you money if things can't be resolved quickly.
Read Ryan Connolly's full review
September 19, 2020
JaCoby Marston, CPA | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are currently using Square POS for one of our subsidiaries. It is an in-person golf coaching business. We love using Square POS because it is easy to quickly train new employees how to use the system and easy for our customers to interact with. The time Square has spent in making this POS is amazing. It is almost flawless and is super easy and provides awesome reporting!
  • Easy for new employees to learn how to use.
  • Awesome reporting for accounting and business metrics.
  • Easy to use with customers no matter their age.
  • Switching between employees could be better, employees get confused what account is signed in for the register so that is a problem and causes commission issues.
  • Pricing is a flat rate which is expensive when you are just starting out.
Awesome for small businesses that are just starting out. The cost to use the POS is very affordable and it is flat rate so it is manageable as your business grows in size. Very easy to train employees on to use. They can learn and be comfortable using this system in no time. Very easy to add and edited your current product listings. Easy to do custom orders or add coupons. We do a ton of custom transactions and it is very easy to run them through Square POS. If you are a business that is running over $100,000 a month in transactions it may be worth it to do some research and see if there are other POS that will be more affordable and meet your needs. Also if you have a ton of items to sale, Square POS may not be the best tool to use for your business.
So far we have not had the need to reach out to customer support for help which I feel is great customer support because Square POS is making sure that they are offering me a great product that continues to meet my needs without any issues. The software is almost flawless and is very easy to use. I love using it.
Read JaCoby Marston, CPA's full review
September 19, 2020
Our organization uses Square at all of its retail locations. Spread across two states and 6 locations, we support service to the 20+ stationary and 10+ remote devices. We also utilize the gift card feature at all locations (both physical and egifts). Some locations depend on variants while others rely on modifiers.
  • Quick easy setup of items
  • Banking connection is quick and payments processed timely
  • Employee management is a great addon.
  • Cost of goods sold
  • More fluid reporting
Square is a great out-of-the-box service for the average small business. Features are able to be added on to help with payroll, online ordering, remote payment (payment at the table rather than at a checkout counter). Setup is quick and easy. Multiple locations/inventory/ect begin to pose problems if not well-established from the beginning.
When connecting with Square support, their team is knowledgeable and quick to respond. Priority users have a dedicated number to allow for quicker connection. Be sure that if you are receiving support for multiple locations that you are listed on the location as an Admin as their security at CS respects user privileges.
September 18, 2020
Square Point of Sale is being used by my department as a way to bill on the go or remotely. Square POS provides a way for us to be able to charge credit cards and take methods of payment via phone, via a card reader, and manually by typing in the card information with an additional fee taken out of what we receive.
  • Square lets you take payments anywhere anytime.
  • Square helps you keep a verified inventory of your items and even create custom items.
  • Square lets you send receipts to customers instantly.
  • The fees are reasonable but I believe there could be some improvement made there.
  • Great for small businesses, could use improvement for larger business support.
  • Bluetooth device has infrequent drops which can be a little frustrating.
The Square POS is a great choice for those who are running a small business, a business on their own and are just starting out, and for people on the go like a mobile detailer or at a festival. The convenience of being able to accept more than cash or check is a huge advantage in some markets.
Square has amazing customer service that I have never had any kind of issue with. When I first was getting things set up and implemented there were a few questions that I had. Square has a robust knowledge base that you can search to solve issues on your own or you can also contact their support team who know the product inside and out.
January 28, 2020
I am a coach with an appointment-based business and I have the Square POS system as a payment option for my clients. It is a perfectly adequate system and I have never had any problems with it. It is an easy-to-use option to use for in-person credit card payments, both for my clients and for me.
  • Easy to use on the spot for an instant transfer.
  • Square Reader is just one piece of hardware to use.
  • I have several customers that don’t trust the Square POS system.
  • Doesn’t integrate with the Acuity Scheduling software I use.
I have seen the Square POS system working well at quick service restaurants I visit and at flea markets with vendors. It, however, has not proven to be the best system for payment acquisition for my appointment-based coaching business. Many of my clients prefer to pay for their session in advance on the scheduling website I use, which does not currently have an integration with Square.
I have never had a negative experience with the support team for Square POS. They made the whole setup easy for me and answered all the questions I had when comparing payment options at the beginning of my search a couple years ago. I have nothing negative to say about support!
November 13, 2019
Ben Caplan | TrustRadius Reviewer
At my previous employer, we used Square POS to sell clothing and branded merchandise. We used it in my department but also took it to events and special circumstances to sell products. It allowed us to sell merchandise without the need to worry about setting up payment processors, and all the nonsense that comes with payment securities. It also gave me specifically great insights into what sold the best and inventory management.
  • Inventory
  • Sales tracking and predictions
  • Ease of setup
  • Simple payment processing
  • The Bluetooth device, chip reader/tap, would disconnect frequently.
  • They just increased the per transaction fee from a fixed percentage to a lower percentage + flat cost.
If you sell anything in person, have inventory, process payments for various things, even donations, this is a must-have. We had clothing, mugs, keychains, and other merchandise that we sold, so Square was vital to our success. We were able to track inventory, see sales reports that showed our various success with products, and it was able to provide inventory alerts if we were running low on various items so I could get a replenishment order sent to our supplier.

It might not be appropriate if you handle mostly with cash unless you're looking for the sales reporting and inventory functionality. In this case, you'd still benefit from Square because there isn't a fee for cash payments, and it would still allow you to manage your inventory and track sales.
We haven't had to use the support as much as I can remember. If we needed something I would search the question online and there was typically a response from Square support in a forum, or there was a system expert that had an answer.

We didn't have to call Square a single time.
Read Ben Caplan's full review
M. Elizabeth Sutton | TrustRadius Reviewer
Square POS is used across the whole organization. It keeps track of inventory, sends and track invoices, syncs with QuickBooks, and can have more than one device synced. It enables the business to be mobile while still maintaining a steady brick-and-mortar location. The two biggest benefits are invoicing and inventory. Being able to instantly keep track of both and have reports sent via email allows me to be constantly up-to-date regarding what is happening with the business at all times.
  • Creating and tracking invoices. You can develop a database, which helps to ensure that invoices are going to the correct contact person and then notifies me when they are paid or overdue.
  • Inventory. Square makes it very easy to keep track of what inventory we have and compare it to what is actually on the shelves.
  • Keep your iPad up to date. When the software needs updated, Square gets slow and clunky. It needs the most updated versions of everything.
Square POS is well-suited for small business, mobile business. You can run your whole business from an iPad. Couldn't be easier. It is not well-suited for a large business that has more than 5 devices tracking purchases. This can get confusing and the people running the devices can get lost in the shuffle. It syncs well, but there are gaps that a smart employee could see.
There have been few times that I've needed customer service, but when I have it has been excellent. One time in particular, the person who was helping me didn't know the answer, took down my number, found out the answer and called me back. I very much appreciated not being put on hold while she figured out what to do. She found the answer, talked me through how to solve the problem, and we were good to go. She didn't waste my time and I didn't waste hers. It was excellent customer service. Also, I've never had to wait on hold when calling to ask a question.
Read M. Elizabeth Sutton's full review
October 15, 2019
Lynn DeLaurentis | TrustRadius Reviewer
Square is used across our organization. It is the way we collect payments from clients using credit cards. This allows both therapists and office staff to collect credit card payments easily. This eliminates the wait for a secretary to do the processing and helps to not miss payments when office staff is not available.
  • It can easily work from any smartphone or tablet.
  • It allows us to use chips, swipe or manually enter the card number.
  • It allows set up for recurring payments.
  • The recurring payments are tricky to do and storing credit card numbers was easier in the past.
  • The card reader does not always connect to the phone creating a delay in payment and sometimes needing to manually enter the number.
Square works well where there is not a high volume and there is time to recharge the reader. When it is only needed for a few transactions at a time works well. I would avoid using it where there is a constant need for credit card transactions. The connection can be slow at times.
Square takes some time to get someone to answer your questions. They prefer you use the FAQ page on their website. The most frustrating is when the app needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled. This is time-consuming and usually happens when you have a customer waiting. It would be nice if the app would keep the password when it updates.
Read Lynn DeLaurentis's full review
December 02, 2019
Jared Lyda | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use the Square POS system to sell merchandise at our largest event of the year - our leadership conference in November. Square POS is super easy to set up, easy to take payments on, and overall super easy to use. I'm blown away at how user-friendly the platform is every time I use it. The reporting features are helpful and insightful. The fee structure is simple. It's easy to apply discounts if needed.
  • Super easy to use.
  • Works just as well from my iPhone as it does on an iPad or anything else.
  • Reporting functionality is great.
  • The website builder functionality on the desktop version is difficult to navigate but looks super clean
Coffee shops, boutiques, butcher shops, small merch sales, mobile businesses (trade show vendors, etc.), anyone who is running their own business (pool guy, music lessons, etc.). Even restaurants and retail could use the Square POS system. The functionality is honestly so robust that I can't think of a situation where it wouldn't work.
The FAQs are helpful. Also it's so user-friendly you probably won't have to contact support.
Read Jared Lyda's full review
Derek Dukes | TrustRadius Reviewer
We have currently deployed Square POS with our service technicians. It gives them the ability to charge our customers for their repair services at the conclusion of the call. We previously would bill customers at the end of the service call and would have to wait 30 to 45 days to get paid. With Square POS, we now get paid instantly!

We have also used other parts of the Square software, such as the Invoicing module for recurring billing and one-time payments.
  • Invoicing
  • Sales processing
  • Revenue collection
  • Easier workflow
  • Better UX
Square POS is well suited for mobile businesses.
I have not yet needed to use support.
Read Derek Dukes's full review
October 03, 2019
Up until my bricks & mortar shop closed a couple of months ago, Square POS was our only till system. We used it to ring up customer orders in person and by phone and we loved that stock control was fully integrated with our website. Very easy to obtain reports and effect all manner of customer transactions from refunds to collecting email addresses for marketing to gathering information for the taxman. Superb system.
  • Very intuitive system - easy to use, clearly laid out
  • Excellent reporting capabilities
  • Fast payments
  • Reasonable fees
  • The cost of the hardware (specific scanners and receipt printers) was prohibitive for my company, and whilst we managed without them, they would have been nice to have. The range of scanners and printers that integrate with Square is small, so despite our devices' capabilities to read barcodes (we used ipads) and the Zebra receipt/label printers we had, we couldn't use either as the system wouldn't integrate with them.
  • Whilst Square's credit card reader is nifty in design, it's a bit small and lacking substance to have as a customer-facing reader so it really needs the dock the company offers. The dock is awkward to open to reset or pair the reader. We often found pairing the reader with the device running the system tricky and confusing, relying on pressing one button and then interpreting a sequence of lights that often caused confusion. The pairing process might have been clearer presented through the device rather than the reader.
  • Truly can't think of any more!
Perfect for small and medium sized businesses with a customer-facing function that require a system for collecting payments. It is both a credit card processor as well as a simple till for cash transactions. It integrates well with certain e-commerce providers, allowing you to sell website stock in person and thus prevent double-selling of inventory. We had a mixture of website items pre-programmed into the system, as well as some fixed price buttons for commonly sold items, and for the rest we simply entered the price. Super flexible. We could use it when we travelled away from the shop and relied on 4G connectivity.
We had separate accounts for separate team members. I hear it works well for restaurant-type businesses in terms of its options but it's not something I have experience of.
An admission - I have NEVER had to use Square POS support. The system is seamless, it just works! I have never had any queries about how the system worked as everything is so clearly laid out. I have never had any problems with payments. If their support systems are anywhere near as good as their software, I think we'll be in good hands.
November 20, 2019
As a service business where our service takes place at a clients location, it is important for us to be able to collect payment from customers quickly and easily. We use Square POS to accept credit card payments from our customers on site. This helps us to avoid having unpaid invoices.
  • The fee structure is very easy to understand and is fair.
  • Swiped transactions and keyed transactions are equally easy.
  • There are many employee management features inside of the app.
  • None
I believe that Square POS has a solution for most any business. They offer their service in many formats from a phone app to a full-blown register so whether you need to take payments on the go, or if you have a brick-and-mortar shop, there is a a solution for you. I can't think of any scenario where it would not be appropriate.
I have never had an issue with Square and so I have never had to contact customer support. The best customer support is not ever needing customer support.
November 12, 2019
We use Square POS for all of our point of sale transactions. It is our primary sales management tool and keeps track of our daily, weekly, monthly and yearly sales and trends. We only have one food truck we use it there. We additionally use it to determine what items we take to events at specific locations.
  • Easy navigation of the dashboard.
  • Tons of options for what types of data I want to view.
  • Ability to look at trends within a variety of parameters such as dates and times.
  • I do not like the new fee per transaction because we are a business with a lot of small transactions so it hits us hard.
  • Difficulty getting the app to connect on the iPad.
  • Wish the interface on the iPhone was similar to that on the iPad for ease of ringing items.
I have found it to be extremely easy to set up and use for a small business. It is easy to issue refunds and receipts. Square sends immediate emails when a refund is requested. I like that you can set up and customize emails so I always know what my sales were on the previous day.
We have not had any major issues with Square. We had one transaction disputed and Square was quick to resolve the problem. Unfortunately, the card was swiped and did not have a chip so the issue was resolved in favor of the customer but Square offers seller protection so we did not lose the money!
May 25, 2019
Che Odom | TrustRadius Reviewer
Square POS is used by our organization for any and all events that we host to raise money for our company's foundation. As a large construction company, we don't use POS to receive payments for our large clients on construction projects because we are talking about $1,000,000 invoices, as such we don't have an easy way to accept payments for smaller amounts such registrations and sponsorships of events like golf tournaments, etc. We put these events on often for our foundation, and we were constantly being asked by our attendees how they could pay using credit cards. We ultimately implemented Square POS because it is easy, cheap to implement and get started, and the fees are comparable to more complex systems that wouldn't make sense for us.
  • Easy tracking of payment receipts for the user.
  • Easy sending receipts for payors.
  • Easy use, particularly with the chip reader.
  • Very quick processing time, regardless of connection speed we have had great results.
  • Easy to set up quick shortcut options as well as create custom transactions.
  • Their old swipe option was very difficult, it rarely correctly reads cards and requires manual input of numbers, chip reader addresses this problem.
  • If you don't input customer information, it can be difficult to quickly look at records and know which transaction was for what or whom.
It is great for in-person credit card transactions of almost any kind. It is wonderful as an option for companies such as us to use for events that we put on, especially since we don't have any other POS option installed, and our AR receives payment directly via wire and check from our clients on a more regular basis. It would not be appropriate for us (large general contractor) to use for our AR transactions in the regular course of business. It wouldn't be appropriate for organizations where invoicing is more typical.
Read Che Odom's full review
January 04, 2019
Kirsten Rodriguez | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Square POS for our ticket sales at the ticket window for our annual corn maze. This allows us to take payments using wifi as opposed to a dedicated credit card phone line and save money. We are able to take payments using swipe, chip, tap and apple/android pay which really helps us stay up-to-date with the times.
  • taking several different methods of credit card payments ie. swipe, tap, chip, and apple/android pay
  • Itemized pos system allows us to use a tablet for all our register needs. We do not use the print or cash box functions, but we use it for credit card payments strictly. We hope to eventually switch over completely to Square POS
  • Easy to use and great customer support
  • If you want to do more than just take credit cards there is a plethora of equipment to choose from. It can get pretty expensive to set up though when purchasing equipment.
  • You are only as fast as your internet/cell service signal which can slow things down a bit. They do have an offline mode, but that can be risky because you don't really know if the card went through until you get back to service.
We use ours for processing credit card payments when people come to the window to purchase tickets. We have tried to use it as a complete POS system at another point where we sell simple things like water and sunscreen. It worked well and the reports were great. We had some issues with cell service and internet because we are out in the country, that is the only reason we haven't switched everything yet.
Read Kirsten Rodriguez's full review
November 12, 2018
Lori Scarmardo | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am an independent Hairstylist & Makeup Artist. I use Square for all of my business needs - appointments, contacts, inventory, invoicing, sales, etc. It provides dynamic reporting & is easily accessible from anywhere, so I can take care of business whether I am in the salon, at home, or on the road.
  • It keeps track of my earnings & expenses & offers me a variety of ways to view & track the data.
  • Provides an easily customizable scheduling interface, which allows me the ability to update my hours from day to day or week to week, see scheduled appointments, & accept or reject potential appointments.
  • Provides both text & email appointment confirmation/reminders to my clients, automatically, saving me time.
  • I think the menu (both on the app & the online version) is a little disorganized & could stand to be improved/streamlined.
  • Would like to see the ability to add more customization to the scheduling website (ie: ability to customize text, insert breaks/paragraphs in service descriptions, etc.)
  • Ability to quickly add custom line items to a client's visit when checking out, rather than needing to choose from a pre-set list. Occasionally I need to add on a service or retail item that has not yet been entered into the list. Currently, I am unable to simply add this within the transaction. Instead, I have to go out of the transaction & into my retail or service list, create a new item (adding description, etc.,) save it, then return to the transaction to add it to the ticket.
I think it is great for small businesses & particularly independent contractors (like stylists, MUAs, artists, etc) who need an easy, inexpensive way to handle their business & take it with them on the go. Very useful for anyone who does business "on location" & needs to be able to quickly & easily complete transactions.
Read Lori Scarmardo's full review
August 02, 2018
Brian Spatz | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Square as our point of sale for our on-campus coffee shop on Sundays. It is also used for special events that want to use our coffee shop on campus. It has helped us track various espresso drinks being sold and we can begin tracking what supplies we need and track other various trends. Some of these trends include: number of drinks sold weekly, peak selling times, and top beverages being sold each week.
  • Simple design. It's simplistic design and minimalist approach is a joy to use.
  • Easy set-up. Took around 15 minutes to have it up and running.
  • User-friendly. Not difficult to understand how it works because it is designed to be very intuitive.
  • Cannot edit how the buttons look on the sales side. While I appreciate the minimalist approach, I wish minor adjustments could be made.
  • Square Stand doesn't always stick well to the countertop. We cannot glue or screw down the device (per our preference) but when rotating it to a customer it is usually a two-handed job because the base turns as well and messes up the cord.
  • Cables are minimal but not easy to hide. I wish it had a small box to put the cables into that could be secured to a wall beneath the counter. This just causes for clutter and concern that the cables (which are not braided) could easily be torn.
When picking out the point of sale equipment, we really like the user-friendly aspects of Square. We found it to be the most cost-effective solution for our need in the coffee shop and it was a simplified approach to the needs we had. We love the stand, chip reader, and ability to use Apple Pay.
Read Brian Spatz's full review
April 02, 2018
Kalyn Hoffman | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Square POS with all of our mobile events whether it’s a fundraiser for 300+ attendees or just taking donations at church. It has allowed us to meet donors where they are at and accept payments that are convenient for them.
  • Mobile payments
  • Fast application updates
  • Minimizing swipe errors
  • Keeping up with changing needs (updated security measures of card company)
  • Charge for more employees
  • Easier adapted for iPhone 8 model
Square POS is an excellent resource for small and medium-sized organizations alike. This software even works across multiple locations, organizing transactions by location!
Read Kalyn Hoffman's full review
December 06, 2017
George Bounacos | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are a digital marketing agency specializing in online advertising, search engine optimization, and social media. Our clients hire us for a project that requires a down payment and final payment or on a monthly retainer basis.

We charge a company's credit card for their advertising and other expenses plus our fees. Square allows us to receive an authorization from the client and save the card information on their system. Each month, we click the authorize button for that month's fees and the funds are deposited in our bank account the next business day.

The fees are the same as most merchant accounts. We save on lockbox fees or receiving checks via mail that are then deposited. Our clients like the convenience (and points!) of paying with credit cards. We like the fast turnaround, cash flow, and ease of processing.

• After you set a daily processing deadline time, charges processed by that time are deposited the next business day.
  • The reporting dash board looks overwhelming but that's because it has all of the the information that you've processed before. That was invaluable when we recently went to look at the detail on a two year old transaction and were able to find the information by ourselves.
  • The ability to use multiple devices is great. We can process charges on a computer, a tablet, or even a smartphone.
  • Receipts are automatically sent to the customer's preferred email or texted to their phone.
  • There is a lot of unbundling of services that could make it seem like you are always getting pitched for something new. And the company is constantly introducing new services so there is a steady stream of marketing.
  • The interface becomes cluttered with those services even if you don't sign up for them.
  • The interface with QuickBooks got good reviews, but our experience interfacing QuickBooks Online with Square did not work well and cost us money for our accountant to untangle the mess. Square could have used a good onboarding process there.
We're proof that a professional services company serving other organizations can benefit from what many consider to be a retail product. The fees are reasonable, and the cash in your bank account on the next business day can't be beaten. We have never experienced a single problem in processing a charge or receiving the funds.
Read George Bounacos's full review

What is Square POS?

Square POS is a point-of-sale software solution with features such as accept credit cards with your iPhone, Android, and iPad along with the flexibility to accept credit card payments anywhere, from Square headquartered in San Francisco, California.