1Password Reviews

Charles Fashana, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 07, 2020

Beyond just convenience: Protection and peace of mind with 1Password

Hundreds of passwords. Ever-changing passwords. Low-security-strength passwords. Passwords that we share. Passwords written on post-it notes, saved in Excel files, lost in space. Forgotten passwords. These are the problems we all face in today's age.

I actually started out with 1Password for personal use. But I've found it's tremendously easy to separate or integrate personal and work data and information as I choose, and have begun incorporating the use of 1Password for all of my work--at home and at the office. As a member of the leadership team at my company, and the one largely responsible for operations, I use a variety of platforms--many of which are very sensitive (e.g., banking platforms, human resources systems, CRMs, etc.). Based on my early satisfaction with the functionality and security of 1Password, I am considering this for broader team use.
  • Simple and secure setup
  • Ease in creating different vaults for different uses and sharing/permissions across vaults for family or team members
  • Integration across devices (laptop, tablet, phone, etc.) is seamless.
  • iPhone Face ID integration
  • The Chrome Browser add-on works very well.
  • The password generator is great and very customizable to meet the differing requirements of companies/sites.
  • It allows for a variety of different "types" of password entries, but if you want it to work as part of the integrated login functionality for a site, it must be created as a "login," which can be counterintuitive and impact the way your information is categorized.
  • I haven't been able to figure out how to change the type of entry once it's created. You can move entries between vaults, but can't change the type, which results in needing to recreate and delete.
  • Certain sites' login screens don't auto-populate, you have to go into 1Password to copy and paste.
  • It's possible the functionality isn't as good using a Microsoft device (I have both a Microsoft Surface as well as a Macbook Pro).
Generally, 1Password checks every box for anyone that needs to organize their password inventory. But it also provides a great level of peace of mind, as it feels as if it is relatively secure. The Master Security Key setup, along with other security features such as two-factor authentication, auto time-outs, password generator, and integration with face ID (likely among other things) do provide a level of security far greater than what most people have by personally managing their passwords.
I haven't had to use the support team since using the product, so that's saying something.

But I did reference the FAQs and information materials to help with the initial setup. All in all, I found all of the information and clarity I needed to get set up and begin fully using the platform.
Read Charles Fashana, MBA's full review
Jose F. Gomez | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 09, 2020

The One Password You Need

We use 1Password to manage all usernames and passwords for our departments and projects. One key issue that we solve by using 1Password, is security. By having 1Password create a new password, we take the burden of choosing a new secure password from the user and make it safer by leveraging the 1Password feature that alerts when a site has been breached and the password should be changed.

Also, some passwords/user sessions need to be generic (for instance for a per role account) and 1Password helps a lot in that field because it lets us share usernames/passwords and even credit card information with teams.
  • Managing passwords: Create truly secure passwords or pass-phrases.
  • Sharing credit card information with appointed team members.
  • 1Password is so secure, that it lacks a self-managed "forget your password" functionality which means that as a manager, I have to approve password resets which may slow down some users.
  • On Chrome, the extension sometimes stops working when the browser is updated.
  • When having to memorize passwords, 1Password gets rid of this by just leveraging a single Password (thus the name) and then letting it decide the password/passphrase to use. It integrates well into sign up flows so that there's no excuse not to use it always to generate new passwords.
  • When I want to share credit card information so that other people from my teams can use it to make online purchases.
  • When having a single seat/account that needs to be shared across people due to heavy rotation.
  • When the sign-up process has very complex password rules.
So far we've barely eve needed to contact support for anything. I think their service is top-notch, however, because their documentation is extremely complete and abundant. The product is extremely easy to use and intuitive enough so that new users, even less technical ones are able to ramp up very quickly.
Read Jose F. Gomez's full review
José Escudero | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 27, 2020

1Password - a must for online security

1Password was initially recommended by senior members of the team to manage our personal and work credentials. It is just recommended, not enforced. It is used to save information such as login information, SSH keys, cryptographical keypairs, and general documents. It is in general a bad idea to have a single password for everything or save information in plain text. 1Password allows us to generate a random password for each used service and save information in a secure way.
  • Random password generation.
  • Browser auto-fill forms.
  • Allow text fields to have more than one line (You can use notes for that but you can have a single note per item as of now).
  • More formats by default (SSH keys, Blockchain keypairs, etc).
I honestly can't see myself without 1Password anymore. Prior to using it, I only had like 3 passwords for everything, I had to remember them, and suffered the risk of having many accounts attacked if a single password was stolen.

1Password is perfect if you care about security online and want a great tool to help you with that.
It will help you generate random passwords, fill browser forms automatically, save secure notes, etc.
I've never had any problems with 1Password that have required me to contact support. But from their frequent updates and their active blog feed I can already tell they are very available to help any of their clients.
Read José Escudero's full review
Gary Gray | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 19, 2020

1Password is the game-changer app you've been waiting for

• Hands down 1Password is the single most indispensable applications/services use. As an IT consultant, I have 3,700 passwords/software licenses/credit cards stored in my 1Password database - and without a similarly secure way to manage that data, I'd be utterly unable to do my work efficiently. I've turned countless clients onto 1Password, and it's become an equally vital part of their daily workflow as well.
  • I use 1Password to securely store the assorted data I designed to store and sync it across all my devices (Macs, iPads, iPhones) as well as share 1Password databases with select clients. 1Password will generate unique secure passwords, populate password entry fields on websites, and securely manage it all.
  • Secure. 1Password is a secure encrypted repository for my passwords and other vital information (credit card and banking data, software licenses, etc.).
  • Simple. Once it's setup 1Password just works as you want it to and think it should.
  • Multi-field password entry. It still seems clunky if I have a three-field login where some piece of data beyond a user name and password are needed.
  • Migration from earlier versions of 1Password has been a mixed bag of work necessary to make them work on the newer platform.
  • It's 2020, we all have passwords to manage - so everybody is a potential user. The ability to generate unique and strong passwords, and then enter them with a simple keystroke is incredibly useful and far more intuitive than Apple's Mac Keychain app. That it handles other types of data as well, from secure notes to attached files, it can handle whatever you throw at it in an easily searchable database. If you're a member of a team of family, it's effortless to deploy shared vaults that contain only whatever passwords or data are relevant to that specific person.
  • Can't think of any scenario where it wouldn't be useful unless you're not online, don't engage in consumer activities, and it was somehow fifty years ago.
I have had very little need for 1Password support over the years - but when I have, they've given me quick and easy answers.
Read Gary Gray's full review
Aaron Pinsker | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 19, 2020

1Password is a powerful and comprehensive password management solution

1Password is being used by myself for both personal and business use, as well as by a number of other clients for both personal and business use. The main problem being solved is simple, keep track of the plethora of passwords that are used across applications, websites, computers and other devices. There are two major business problems that 1Password solves - security and forgotten passwords.
  • 1Password does a phenomenal job of keeping track of all your passwords!
  • 1Password allows you to auto generate passwords with varying complexity. Since you don't have to remember these passwords, you can use 1Password's password generator to create extremely complex passwords.
  • 1Password's overall interface can be a bit overwhelming at first - with a plethora of options and categories to choose from.
  • Getting used to allowing 1Password to manage all your passwords - to the point you don't have to remember them, or even know what they are - takes a fair amount of getting used to.
Despite its subscription model, 1Password is one of the most comprehensive password management programs out there. It seamlessly integrates with all major web browsers (Firefox, Chrome, and Safari), has both an iOS and Android counterpart to allow you to sync passwords b/w devices, and allows you to store more than just passwords. If used to its fullest, 1Password can act as a one stop repository for all your important information - such as passport information, bank account and credit card information, software registration, and much more - and not just logins/passwords.
Amazingly enough, over the course of nearly 10 years, I have never once had to contact 1Password support. As such, I do not know how responsive or helpful their support representatives are. This truly speaks to the quality of the software. With that being said, I have browsed 1Password's support pages, and they contain a fairly comprehensive amount of support articles and FAQ's. 1Password also has an active group of forum members to help as well.
Read Aaron Pinsker's full review
Prathamesh Muzumdar | TrustRadius Reviewer

1Password, excellent solution to secure username and passwords

1Password is all in one solution for maintaining and safekeeping of usernames and passwords. We use it across departments and different verticals. It is used to maintain passwords and usernames to websites, desktop applications, smartphone applications, database applications, ERP account information and licensing keys to different software. All employees can have access at their own laptops while maintaining encrypted and secured information. The biggest business problem it solves is that of security. The features provided by 1Password are great especially the one where you are alerted by when a site has been breached and when you are required to change the password. It allows the user to quickly generate and use safe generic passwords for all the logins. It is compliant with most regulations, HIPAA being one of them. Password reuse and password sharing through the secure channel are other great features of 1Password.
  • The encryption levels provided by 1Password are great. It’s a multi-tier encryption.
  • The graphical user interface of the application is very user friendly. The design is made for better and effective user navigation.
  • There is no option to reset your password manually for the user, someone authorized for the account has to approve the request for a new password.
  • The extension for most browsers stops working after the browser is updated. This results in uninstalling and installing again which is time-consuming.
1Password is well suited for organizations that are larger and which require a tool to assist them in the username and password management. 1Password does an excellent job in this department, not only does it provide assistance, but also it provides security. 1Password is not suitable for scenarios where you have a few people managing 1Password. Manual authorization is a big challenge for 1Password and somebody has to take the authority to do it manually. Also, synchronizing is a big challenge with 1Password, most sync takes a lot of time especially with Google apps.
1Password support is good but it can be better. I had situations where the person responding to my request took a lot of time to respond, which delayed the whole process of operations. It seems that their operations are not streamlined and many customer agents lack technical knowledge. It takes them a lot of time to connect to the right technical person who can help you with the issue. I would recommend them to work on the efficiency of their customer service responses.
Read Prathamesh Muzumdar's full review
Adam O'Connor | TrustRadius Reviewer

Simple and Secure Password Management

We use 1Password as a central password management utility across different departments. We keep all of our vaults synced up so that when someone needs to change a password it's nearly instantly available to all users in the company. Further, whenever we need to update all passwords it's centralized and easy to manage. Before doing this we found some employees were simply keeping a spreadsheet or post-it notes on their desks! Now we use saved passwords that are much harder to break.
  • Vault management
  • Elegant UI
  • Maybe a free version so that more people can try it.
1Password is well suited for personal use as well as business use. For businesses, it's great because you can keep ensuring password formulas are enforced, create shared vaults, sync changes across vaults as well as create vaults for different levels of security. Overall, it really fosters a more secure environment because users don't mind using it.
I have not had to use support. I will say though we get regular software updates and they go very smoothly. They are constantly improving the software and encouraging the best use.
Read Adam O'Connor's full review
Bryan Hume | TrustRadius Reviewer

Centralized Power & Efficiency

1Password offers efficiency, simplicity, and centralization for my company. From credit cards to website logins, having important data secured through an accessible tool has made operations run much smoother. It is being used across the entire organization. It helps solves the problem of password and data security while making our business run much quicker due to the ease of finding the information we need.
  • Security: AES 256-bit encryption keeps your data extremely safe.
  • Design: The tool is easy and enjoyable to use due to an aesthetically pleasing UI.
  • Pricing: 1Password used to be a one-and-done price, but has since moved to subscription-based model.
  • Glitches: 1Password Mini, the browser extension, occasionally stops working out of the blue.
Although there are plenty of password managers available, 1Password is the top tier. It is suitable for any small business or large organization—I have used it for companies across the board in terms of scale. Having a reliable password manager in place that isn't overwhelming to use on a regular basis will help you focus on projects that matter. It's an essential tool for productivity and business operations.
Support is critical for a business password manager. 1Password offers plenty of articles and videos for navigating any technical worries, such as syncing issues across devices, but they are also easily accessible by email, Twitter, and their forum as well. I have not had to personally contact them for any issues, which speaks to the quality of the product, but it gives me peace of mind to know they are available.
Read Bryan Hume's full review
John Readwin | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 06, 2020

Great full featured password manager

I'm an independent Mac/Apple consultant and use 1Password for all my sensitive data. (passwords, Credit Cards, passport details, etc.) I use 1Password across all my devices ( Mac Pro, iPhone, MacBook Pro).
It allows me to quickly generate and use secure unique passwords for all my logins.
  • Password Autofill , easy to use and quick.
  • Password Generation, flexible password generation, allows you to omit ambiguous characters (io, l, etc.)
  • Password Generation could allow "easy to remember passwords," but with special characters, capitals, numbers added ( which some sites require), This currently has to happen manually.
  • New password generation and updating for existing logins, the current process can be a little cumbersome.
  • I currently recommend 1Password to all my clients. It works great for a single user, family, or business team.
  • It allows the user to easily store and access their passwords, credit card details across all popular browsers and devices.
  • If you do a lot of traveling, it has a great feature that allows you to hide your passwords from prying eyes (like homeland security !)
I had always had quick and helpful responses, when ( which was not often) I contacted them.
Read John Readwin's full review
Jeffrey Schneider | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 28, 2020

Secure your team

1Password is required to be used by the entire organization. We are a HIPAA compliant company and security is extremely important across the entire company. With so much software being used by different departments, the threat of having passwords stolen should be a huge priority in any organization. It helps keep us protected as well as compliant with HIPAA guidelines.
  • Security.
  • Encrypted secure password generator.
  • If you do not remember your core password, it can be very difficult to recover your account.
  • Interface can always use improvement
I have used a few different password managers and 1Password handles all our company's needs. It is fairly easy to manage across the organization for each user. It can be easily deactivated should an employee be terminated. Overall, it is a very good all in one solution as a password manager.
Here is where I feel they 1Password can do a better job. Knowledgebase could be better and I believe they could support companies better than they do. It is not terrible, but if I had to knock them, this would be the area that I believe all companies can improve. There are many password managers on the market and customer support is one way to really stand out from your competition.
Read Jeffrey Schneider's full review
February 25, 2020

Using 1Password will keep you safe on the internet

Using 1Password has really helped us to manage the ever increasing amount of passwords that the internet requires these days. It is also more than just a password manager. Secure notes and things like server details, wi-fi passwords, identity storage, and secure document storage make 1Password a fully featured password manager.
  • Autofill of usernames and passwords including one-time passwords.
  • Password warnings for compromised websites, re-used passwords.
  • Safari extension can be somewhat buggy.
  • It can be confusing when updating a password and hard to know if the password you created will be saved to the correct record.
1Password is a fantastic password manager. I highly recommend it for individuals and organizations (1Password for Teams) to manage the ever increasing amount of passwords that are required in today's internet. Websites are being compromised at an increasing pace, and the most effective way to limit your exposure is to not re-use passwords. 1Password is the best way I've found to keep track of unique passwords.
From all my experiences, 1Password has a terrific team developing the software and providing customer support. Their website is full of helpful information and they have been quick to respond to the very few times I've had a question that I couldn't find an answer for. I also get a newsletter update from the company that is really useful and informative about recent updates and upcoming features.
February 05, 2020

All For 1Password and 1Password For All

We used 1Password across the entire company as a way to store login info, both personally and professionally. 1Password made it easy for teams to quickly access and update shared login info, while also generating very secure passwords. We were able to keep inter-office details secure while keeping them easy to find.
  • The password generator is a wonderful tool.
  • The different types of info you can store. i.e. Credit card info, addresses, logins, etc...
  • I'm not sure if it exists already, but a prompt asking if 1Password would like a new login saved would be great. I did not have it installed on my browser, so maybe this was how it functioned if it did this.
  • It would be great if it could randomly update passwords for you on specific dates, so that you're always staying secure.
We used to update our WiFi info regularly and having it available and constantly updated on 1Password made it really simple for everyone to have the right info across our global organization.
I used 1Password for credit card number management, since my role required me to purchase various things from various team budgets and it was a big time saver to have the details already saved in my vault, so I didn't have to always reach into my purse. It also allowed me to store the physical cards in secure locations so that I didn't need to be carrying cards with corporate sized maximums on me.
I have never had to contact support, so I rate it a 10.
January 29, 2020

1Password gets the job done.

I am currently using it to manage my work passwords in one vault, personal passwords in another and shared family passwords in another vault. I am investigating a shared vault for admin accounts for the team. It allows me to quickly and easily set up unique, complex passwords for every individual sign-in.
  • Encourages better security by not re-using passwords.
  • Allows easy entry of complex passwords.
  • Cost can be a little high for personal use.
  • Mac integration is still better than Windows.
It's the best of the many password managers out there for multi-platform integration. I have access to my passwords from my phone, tablet, Windows desktop and Mac laptop. If you were interested in only a single platform or didn't want integration then you could probably get away with using one of the free alternatives.
I only had to reach out to them one time and they answered my question during the initial email exchange. Their newsletters are very helpful in describing new features that I may want to try out. This is one of those packages that just does its job well with little fuss and few headaches.
January 24, 2020

Not the prettiest, but works well for our purposes

The whole organization uses 1Password to keep track of passwords.
  • Siloing passwords
  • Security
  • Design
  • User experience
1Password great for teams that need to store passwords, though it does require people to update and be engaged with it (management).
I've never used the support personally, but I will say others have had trouble resetting their passwords.
Craig West | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 26, 2019

1Password continues to impress!

1Password is used by our organization to maintain passwords to websites, iPhone apps, databases, retaining account information, and software notes and licensing keys. It allows everyone to have access at their own computers while also maintaining encrypted and sensitive information. Our IT department, HR, Office Staff and CEO and other Senior staff utilize 1password and require multiple vaults.
  • 1Password does well with the encryption level.
  • The app and design of the user interface are friendly and easy to use.
  • Inexpensive family and business plans.
  • Multiple vaults and permissions available.
  • The price point for businesses could be adjusted.
  • Sync options may be limited. It allows for iCloud, dropbox and other folders, but does not have the ability to access Google drive.
  • It is a licensing service rather than a standalone.
The price point for 1Password for personal and family use is fairly reasonable. It is suited for those individuals who have a lot of passwords to keep track of. If you only have a few passwords (i.e. 20 or less), there might be other options for you that are free (e.g., KeePass). If you utilize passwords for logins on the web, entering identifying information, saving passwords for the multi-apps that a user might have on their phone, then 1Password would be an ideal solution.

For businesses, the ability to create 2-factor authentication protection, have an admin control to view and manage permissions, and have unlimited shared faults, will be useful for those organizations or businesses with multi-users.
I have never had any issues with 1Password and they have always been able to answer my questions adequately resolve my issues. Furthermore, they have a robust peer forum that can be accessed. They have helpful "Get to know Apps", videos and many articles to assist in the process of using the product.
Read Craig West's full review
Nate Dillon | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 23, 2019

1Password is an excellent way to keep your logins secure

I use 1Password to manage all my passwords, bank account/credit card information, software licenses, and many other things. 1Password in currently only being used at a personal level (several of my other co-workers use LastPass). As I have increasingly more and more login information from various sites, 1Password has become an essential tool for me to stay organized and to keep my accounts safe.
  • Organizes and stores all my login information
  • Generates random passwords with a lot of control over options
  • Integrates well with all major web browsers to allow login autofill
  • Well designed apps
  • Works very well on Macs
  • Good synchronization options
  • Ability to share logins with others
  • Audits login information for problems and alerts you to passwords that should be changed
  • Can store way more than just login information
  • The Windows apps and integration aren't as good as on the Mac
  • Occasional glitches with the browser integration
  • Moving away from the one-time app purchase model and toward subscriptions (which is somewhat understandable at this point)
1Password should be used to store any information securely, including logins/passwords, credit card and bank information, drivers licenses, software licenses, notes and documents, and many other things. You shouldn't really use the same password for multiple sites, and 1Password is great for generating random passwords, storing them, and making them easy to retrieve. The group plans work great for sharing information between people as well. It really works best on a Mac. I've used 1Password on Windows a bit, and it works just fine, but it doesn't seem to work as well as on the Mac.
I haven't had a lot of issues with 1Password in the past, but I have browsed the 1Password support forums a bit when I have needed an answer for something. The support staff seems to be very responsive. They seem to respond to pretty much everything posted in the support forums.
Read Nate Dillon's full review
Benjamin Plotkin | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 09, 2019

1Password...to Rule Them All

1Password is used by some of our staff in our department, in a hybrid manner -- being used for both business and personal account credentials management. As applies to our business use cases, 1Password helps staff to ensure they use the strongest possible passwords across the many dozens of servers, service accounts, and web applications we rely on to deliver value to our university, without duplication of credentials. Because 1Password securely stores our information and allows us to retrieve it effortlessly, this tool helps our department maintain very high standards of security.
  • 1Password works very well across all popular platforms, including desktop and mobile apps, as well as various web browser integrations, providing a convenient and consistent method to access your logins and passwords no matter what device you're currently using.
  • 1Password provides a powerful, yet straightforward, mechanism for the creation of strong passwords of varying lengths and criteria: if you normally use 24-character passwords but your latest account can only support 16-character lengths, just tweak the password length slider. If your latest account forces you to use special characters, just toggle the checkbox to ensure that need is met.
  • 1Password supports Apple Touch ID on iOS and MacOS, and Face ID on iOS, allowing authorized users secure, but easy, access to their credentials, and obviating the need for frequent typing out of long passphrases.
  • 1Password continues to provide iterative updates to their products which ensure ever-improving auto-fill integrations with website logins and mobile app logins.
  • Not every website or web app login page is automatically recognized by 1Password; because the product works so well in most use cases, it can be jarring when it fails to properly populate a form.
  • Because 1Password provides so many ways to interact with your secure vault of credentials, the slight differences in the various interfaces can sometimes be confusing -- the desktop version is slightly different from the web browser extension version, for example, and occasionally I find myself searching for the "generate password" button in the desktop interface because it's not where I expect it to be, given its placement in the browser extension version.
  • Sometimes 1Password is too eager to assist me; from time to time it has tried to autosave unnecessary form inputs as new login accounts. However, this is preferable to its "missing" new accounts upon their creation!
1Password is a well-regarded, very secure credentials management platform that I believe is suitable for all use cases, whether personal or professional. If you are a user who is security-conscious, and who also has a very large number of active accounts to manage, 1Password is a great tool for you!

If you do not have a large number of accounts to manage, or you find the subscription pricing model of 1Password not to your liking, free alternatives provided by Apple and others may be a better fit for your needs.
Read Benjamin Plotkin's full review
October 23, 2019

1Password - Same Features, More Money, Less Support

My team and I used 1Password to manage shared passwords across our development resources in order to ensure we were conforming to best practice regarding password reuse and to facilitate sharing of complex passwords. Several of us were already using 1Password personally, so getting a team license made sense as our users were already familiar and comfortable with using 1Password. Outside of the direct business use, as a personal user, I've enjoyed its Watchtower service which helps me monitor security breaches containing my credentials.
  • 1Password's Watchtower service is a real value add - 1Password monitors the security news for evidence of security breaches containing your credentials and alerts you if you have been impacted. That is a huge value as it enables you to get out in front of a security breach and be proactive in protecting yourself.
  • 1Password's core strength is that it makes it easy to practice good security hygiene by using strong, unique passwords for each site you interact with. This is something that all password managers do now, but offering an easy experience is key.
  • 1Password's password sharing features makes it easy to share team credentials with other team members, and to decide who amongst the team gets access to the designated credentials.
  • Pricing. 1Password's chief competitor, LastPass beats it on pricing, especially at volume. While both applications offer very similar functionality with a great user experience, your organization may be likely to switch to the least expensive option, as we did.
  • Website Autofill can fail to work at times. This can be really frustrating when you're pressing the autofill keyboard shortcut and nothing is happening. I'm not sure that this is the fault of 1Password - it seems to coincide with changes to website structure, but it makes for a frustrating and inconsistent user experience.
  • 1Password's Windows application has always lagged behind the MacOS version. It has always felt like a second class citizen. Having said that, the MacOS version is really, really good. It's frustrating never to have parity across platforms.
As I mentioned earlier, 1Password is well suited to environments where you want your users to exercise good security hygiene and have a friendly user experience to do so. 1Password offers that. It also makes for a good experience where you want to share common credentials amongst your team, offering you a secure method of doing so, while also offering you the ability to restrict to whom you share your credentials. 1Password is not well suited in environments where cost is a factor. It's competitive with LastPass across various tiers, but ultimately comes out more expensive at scale/features.
I haven't recently engaged 1Password support, but that is primarily due to some poor experiences I had with their support team early on in my purchase of a personal license (predating our business purchase.). Long ago, 1Password offered a one-time purchase of their app, before they offered a subscription service. Over time, they pushed out one-time purchase users in favor of the subscription model. When I reached out to support, I felt little empathy, and felt as though I had to get onboard with the new pricing, or get lost. I dealt with the new pricing model, but it left a bad taste in my mouth for their support. Another instance, I had an issue with an upgrade, where after upgrading, the app ceased to function - even if I uninstalled and reinstalled. Again I reached out to support and got little support in how to resolve the issue. It was only after I downloaded a third party app-cleaner on Mac that I was able to fully clear out the old app and upgrade to the newest version of 1Password. Long story short, I would not rate 1Password support highly.
December 03, 2019

Secure and elaborate service that provides a necessary layer of protection

We are a fintech company so security is incredibly important to us and we make sure to use products that assist us in that security internally as well as externally. We are using 1Password across the whole organization for everything that requires a password. It is a part of our onboarding of the new employees to get them set up with 1Password.
  • Secure system and software.
  • Available on mobile.
  • Keeps all passwords in one place.
  • A pain to reset if you forgot your login.
  • Difficulty finding the Master Password if needed.
It is a great product for companies that want to make sure to set their systems up securely for their internal needs and have a way to regulate that from one place. We can share passwords through 1Password so we don't need to put it in email or Slack which is great.
They have been great. A couple times I have reached out about resetting my Master password and they helped me very fast.
August 01, 2019

One Password to Rule them All

We all use 1Password, to manage personal accounts and logins to websites we all use with one login - for example, we have master logins to our own websites, that anyone can access, and it is an easy way to share access, or if we have a trial account for a new site, we can share the access and collaborate easily without risking any sensitive data.
Having all our personal logins stored safely, instead of copying them to a spreadsheet, or using a generic/personal password is very professional - the password generation function is also really lovely, especially because it offers more security than Chrome, that stores all the sensitive data in plain text.
  • Sharing login details safely within the organization, with no plain text version exposed anywhere.
  • Having my own login details pop up after typing in a secure master password - I only have to remember one complicated and good password.
  • Generating secure passwords when I register to a new website.
  • The automatic name generation for a saved login is sometimes redundant, if the site's title is improperly written
  • Sometimes random logins pop up and I have to choose manually, which is tedious sometimes.
  • I would love to be able to pin or star frequently used logins, when I have multiple logins to a site.
I use it for all my work logins, every single one of them! We manage content providers and advertiser accounts, for some sites, there are 20 logins. There are also services we only use occasionally, remembering the login details for those, or looking them up in an unsafe spreadsheet would be a nightmare.
I even contemplated using it for my private logins and all my family accounts - despite having Google store them all, because Google stores them in plain text and I don't really like that.
Jared Lyda | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 06, 2019

Stop resetting your account because you forgot your password

1Password is amazing. In our work, we have dozens of websites that we have to use on a frequent basis. All of these websites have different password requirements. Some have length requirements. Some require a special character. Some require that you DON'T use a special character. Some websites make you change your password every 6 months. With 1Password, you only have to remember one password - your Master Password. Everything else is auto-filled.
  • The mobile app and iPhone autofill are great.
  • The password generator is super helpful.
  • The browser extensions are awesome.
  • I can't think of anything.
1Password is well suited for anyone who needs to remember a lot of passwords. It is easy to use, secure, and super helpful. It does what it advertises to do and it does it well. It's great for personal use as well as company use. You can have access to the company-wide vault with all of the company passwords, as well as your own personal vault with access to your personal info.
Read Jared Lyda's full review
Adam Moreschi | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 12, 2019

1Password: Simple and Effective Cloud Security

1Password was used to store customer login credentials and shared system login credentials in the organization. It was a very helpful tool that was used across Engineering, Sales, and Operations. It addressed both the need for a more secure and encrypted method to store sensitive cloud-based system passwords, as well as simplify the accessibility of those for people who are logging in and out of several accounts per day, often on the same computer.
  • 1Password's "Autofill" feature makes it easy on most website login portals to quickly search and select your username and password while not compromising security, whether you need to screen-share in-person or online.
  • 1Password's Vaults feature provides a simple way to separate various personal and professional segments of password organization, such that if you need to delete passwords related to a project or professional experience, you can do so quickly and easily.
  • 1Password's Watchtower feature is a great way to quickly and objectively analyze the strength of the security provided by each login you store in a Vault, and provides quick buckets from which to update these passwords.
  • 1Password's Autofill feature could use some improvement, as it does not come up on desktop or mobile in some situations, and thus is not as sleek of a tool as it could be.
  • 1Password's Chrome Extension is another area where things could improve. In some recent weeks, it has minimized the window from which you can easily search, find logins, and switch between Vaults, which is much easier on its desktop client.
  • 1Password's Watchtower feature only currently works one Vault at a time. This does limit some of the improvements that people will tend to make to password security strength. It would be nice to see an enhancement where you can run the feature across all Vaults, and then see which passwords' strengths are excellent, good, fair, poor, etc. per-Vault.
1Password can be used both in a personal (single or family) and business environment, and it is very easy to set up. What is nice about 1Password is that it can organically update as you continue to log into various sites, as it will prompt you to either Update Existing passwords or Create New passwords, right then and there as a pop-up (...one of the few pop-up's that is truly valuable!).

I would say that there may be solutions out there which are more affordable and may provide a very similar service, and ones where the Password Scorecard features and the Autofill and Chrome Extension features are better designed.
Read Adam Moreschi's full review
May 23, 2019

1Password is a no brainer for any business or organization

We use 1Password internally for each of our employees to have a secure and managed password storage solution. The primary reason we purchased it, and its strongest use for us, is as a way to securely share passwords among employees, as well as securely storing client secure information (various logins, api keys, etc.).
  • Top-notch security trusted by Apple and others.
  • Easy management of people and teams.
  • Easy to create 'vaults' with different levels of access for different people.
  • Reasonably priced.
  • Great native apps on all platforms we work on.
  • More often than we'd like, the autofill doesn't work on some websites (Marriott on desktop and American Airlines on mobile are two super common and annoying ones). However, most of the time it does work perfectly.
1Password is a fantastic solution and every individual and company should be using it or something like it (we've heard great things about a few of the other top password managers, but felt the security and history of 1P made it the most trustworthy solution).
The only situation where maybe it wouldn't be a good fit is at extremely large organizations, but I am not sure if they have some different interface for those. The interface seems perfect for 100 or fewer users. I think that at or over 100, it may not be as easy to keep organized.
January 11, 2019

All of my passwords in the palm of my hand. Securely.

I originally began using 1Password when I ran my own business. In this day and age we all have countless logins across a myriad of sites, and at a time when security has never been more important (or more precarious), 1Password helps me keep separate, individual passwords for every single login I own.

I continue to use 1Password personally, and log into the app numerous times every day. I used to use a hard copy notebook, but that method made it too appealing to use simple or easy-to-remember (and easy to hack!) passwords and led to frequent failed logins when I mistyped them. 1Password has kept me more secure and saved me countless hours.
  • It's secure. 1Password makes no bones about the fact that its encryption is state-of-the-art (it has to be, right?). While my knowledge of encryption is entry-level at best, I do understand that 1) having a secure, encrypted master password file is key, and 2) this allows users to store unique passwords for every login, which means that even if hackers steal a password at one site, they can't use that same password to gain entry into all of your systems.
  • It syncs across devices, seamlessly. Whether I'm at home or at work, I can find every password in seconds.
  • It's a great place to store other information you need to keep secure: notes, software licenses, social security numbers of family members, etc.
  • 1Password uses Apple's FaceID feature quite well... now I don't even need to type in my master password when logging in on my phone. I just open the app and look at the screen and viola! I'm in.
  • 1Password's iOS and Chrome integrations are top-notch as well. Most of the time I don't even need to open the app -- I can just use the plugin on my browser, or iOS will suggest the password to use (again, with FaceID) for a website. Again, terrific time-savings.
  • 1Password's ability to generate strong passwords based on a formula may not be anything new, but it certainly is more helpful than trying to come up with one yourself. One click will suggest passwords that are extremely hard to break.
  • As you update or change passwords, occasionally 1Password will create duplicate entries for logins -- sometimes it will take me going through several entries for Google, for instance, before I find the correct one. I can delete the duplicates, of course, but this feels amateurish.
  • This is a minor point, but I have so many logins it takes quite a while to scroll and find the correct one, so when using 1Password on my phone, I like to use the letters on the side of the screen. However, these are quite small and even on my iPhone XR, I often wind up hitting the wrong letter.
  • When possible, I much prefer to purchase my software outright, rather than using a subscription model. With 1Password 7, it doesn't appear that there is an option to do that, so you're stuck paying an admittedly small amount each month, on an ongoing basis.
1Password is fantastic for keeping track of personal logins, as well as work logins. Far better than simply jotting down passwords in a notebook and stuffing it in the bottom drawer where you hope no one will notice it! I probably wouldn't trust it to store nuclear codes, but I feel plenty secure knowing that even if malicious parties steal data from a corporate data leak (as has happened to all of us over time), my other logins have not been compromised.
January 25, 2019

1Password, thank you for existing so smoothly

I use 1Password personally and across our team. It helps maintain security while also allowing the sharing of the passwords across the team. We tried different solutions before with previous companies and it was always a nightmare.
  • It makes the storing and creating of the passwords super simple. You don't need to login to the website and input them or track them manually, it sees you are at a login page and asks you if you want to store it/create a new password/auto fill from the already stored data.
  • The chrome extension makes life so easy. Everything happens automatically. But of course, if you have separate chrome profiles for different purposes, you have to install the chrome extensions for each and setup.
  • Being able to login to 1Password and "reveal" passwords, or directly copy them is hugely important. And 1Password is great at that. Sleek.
  • Having different "vaults" is also awesome. Especially if you're storing passwords for different needs.
  • With some pop-ups, 1Password won't' show up at all. So you can't use the system to log in. And it gets downhill from there, especially if you have used 1Password to generate passwords for you and you have no idea what your password actually is. You need to login to the website of 1passwords and copy/paste your password. It gets incredibly frustrating if you're on your mobile OR if you're in a rush/need to login asap.
  • I have a 1password account for myself personally and we also use it companywide. I am not sure how to be logged in to them both at the same time. So I had google chrome to remember the password for most work related stuff so I don't have to juggle between accounts.
  • Maybe have a way to carry over/copy passwords from one account to another?
When you are dealing with teams that work on particular projects and then work on others and no longer need login info for them (or simply have high turnover) it makes things simple.

About 1Password

1Password is a scalable password manager solution. 1Password is designed to make it easy for businesses' employees to stay safe online.

1Password Advanced Protection is now available with 1Password Business. Set Master Password policies, enforce two-factor authentication team-wide, restrict access with firewall rules, review sign-in attempts and require your team to use the latest version of 1Password.

According to the vendor, once 1Password is part of workflows, good security habits will become second nature. It also comes with mobile app versions that are available for Mac, iOS, Windows, and Android. 1Password syncs seamlessly across devices, so employees always have access to their passwords. 1Password is optimized for organization-wide adoption, to increase overall security.

1Password Competitors