TIBCO Spotfire Reviews

TrustRadius TRUE BadgeTrustRadius Top Rated for 2020

December 09, 2020
Thomas Young | TrustRadius Reviewer
TIBCO Spotfire is used across the entire organization for implementing forecasting, data visualization, and model building. We use TIBCO Spotfire because of its advanced analytics capabilities combined with its broad data visualization offerings. Perhaps the most useful aspect of TIBCO Spotfire is the R Script interface, where we can use R scripts in Spotfire to create useful models and graphs.
  • TIBCO Spotfire performs well for analysts that need more than just real-time data visualizations. These analysts need the ability to create advanced models.
  • TIBCO Spotfire's graphs are a little bit more difficult to create than some other data visualization tools. I think this comes with the advantage of allowing the user a greater ability to customize visualizations.
  • The suggested graphs part of creating graphs is world class. It offers more than just one suggestion and makes it easy for the user to create usable graphics.
  • The software takes a while to start up. It's almost like using a Windows 7 machine with an old hard drive.
  • Sometimes creating the most aesthetically-pleasing graphic takes a long time. This is because of the many adjustments that have to be made to a graph in Spotfire. Some other visualization software makes it easier.
  • Although Spotfire has a number of advanced modeling capabilities, it would be nice to have more rather than having to build R scripts for some of the more advanced models.
TIBCO Spotfire is perfectly suited for the data scientist and the financial analyst who is willing to go beyond simple accounting visuals. The data scientists get the entire range of job responsibilities, from data exploration to final model building to visualization. The financial analyst with a more technical background gets the ability to present financial data in a more unique way.
  • Self-taught
The Spotfire training has come in two forms - online webinars and self-taught. The online webinars provide interesting updates on what is capable with Spotfire and what others are using the software for. The self-taught training is a bit more difficult than other software tools because Spotfire is less well-known, which means that the online presence is smaller. With that said, I think we've solved most of our issues simply by trial and error. It's one of the advantages of Spotfire - trial and error only leads to new knowledge, rather than breaking the product.
We have not specifically purchased any other add-on products to Spotfire. With that said, we are considering looking at Spotfire X. In addition, we are thinking of using Spotfire for more data wrangling, location analytics, real-time graphics, and real-time streaming of data. Of these, I think the two most important items that will save time are making the data wrangling tasks more automated and making the real-time streaming of data actually real-time streaming of data. Accomplishing these two tasks is more difficult than what it sounds.
Read Thomas Young's full review
November 27, 2020
Trevor Harley | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use TIBCO Spotfire for staff as a cross section of users across the organization. It enables faster, simpler, and more timely reporting and analysis information sharing to those that need it daily and weekly.
  • Easy template spreadsheet reports and charting for daily consumption
  • Easy deployment of new features to users
  • Easy application updating to users when addressing bugs in the app
  • Ability to leverage emailing reports automatically for staff in office and away
  • Upgrading the product is still clunky.
  • Support website to search is poor. Google is friendlier to find what I need
  • More granularity for permissions to the library
  • Improve web player design to current web standards
For small companies, TIBCO Spotfire is expensive to get into. Other players are more cost-conscious. There is a huge learning curve to start, if it's new to you.
  • in-person training
Faster analytics development, better report decision making
Automation services, statistics services, data virtualization tdv, statistical services
Some support requests are easy to get the help and answers needed. Some times support takes weeks to figure out how to resolve the issue or get us the necessary info required.
Pretty easy to use once you get to 10.x platform. We are evaluating 11.x that just came out this week to see what improvements are in it for users.
Read Trevor Harley's full review
November 04, 2020
Jenna Montgomery | TrustRadius Reviewer
TIBCO Spotfire is being used by every department in my organization, but mainly by our fundraising and operations departments. The software helps us answer important questions about our current donor base and also helps us identify locations and demographics where we could increase our donor base.
  • The location and geospatial analysis tools are excellent and are great at giving a geographical context to our data.
  • If you are familiar with BI tools, TIBCO Spotfire is easy to set up and start using.
  • There are several options to visualize your data in ways that are compelling and tell a story.
  • We are a smaller organization so we always have to justify the cost (it can be a little pricey for smaller organizations).
  • Not a bad thing necessarily, but the software is so powerful that I feel like my organization is only scratching the surface with its capabilities. We need some guidance and help with the more advanced features.
  • We wish there was more robust documentation available online; it seems to be a bit lacking in certain areas.
For mapping and geospatial analysis, TIBCO Spotfire is top-notch. While it does not have all of the capabilities of a complete GIS program, it does allow you to create beautiful looking maps from your data without much time or effort. It is easy to share and publish these maps so that we can use them in our reporting, marketing, etc.
  • no training
We are a smaller organization so we relied on a few key individuals who have backgrounds in data analysis and software to help train the members of the organization that would be using TIBCO Spotfire. It would have been helpful to have some more formalized training, but being so busy, it would have been hard to find the time to wrangle in all the various members and departments using the software.
We have integrated TIBCO Spotfire to TIBCO Cloud. This integration has been immensely helpful, as it has allowed my organization to access our data and information anywhere in the world and when they are out in the field.
Read Jenna Montgomery's full review
November 01, 2020
Jaren Lim | TrustRadius Reviewer
Used across various programs in SMU. Helps to visualize data for better insights and analysis. Spotfire makes use of a very user-friendly interface which helps to make visualizations clear and easy to understand. More users are being introduced to and enjoying Spotfire. The effectiveness of Spotfire helps to simplify data problems.
  • Easy to use interface.
  • Powerful visualizations and recommendations.
  • A good aid in visual storytelling.
  • Less well known.
  • Data types supported.
  • Integration with other software.
It is good when you have an idea to tell your story. Spotfire is helpful to achieve visual storytelling as it helps to visualize information well. However, it is important for you to check your data type. Because not all are well suited for use in Spotfire, resulting in the slower work process.
  • no training
Needing to figure things out on your own is a double edged sword. On one hand, you really get to understand the product and fully immerse yourself in it. On the other hand, it is more difficult as there is no guidance as to how to use the product. Overall, Spotfire is accessible enough to figure it out on your own.
Unfortunately, have not had the chance to integrate TIBCO Spotfire with other TIBCO products to provide advanced analytics. However, if there was a chance to do so, I believe that my organization would have largely benefited from it. The reason being that TIBCO Spotfire already has good analytics and analysis baked in, thus the synergy with other products will be very useful.
It has good API support and documentation. The TIBCO team were also readily contactable, providing advice and support on the usage of the application. Furthermore, the community sharing helped a lot with learning new tips and usage of the application for various use cases. Perhaps something that can be improved is to make the templates more streamlined
Coming from various business intelligence and data visualization applications, TIBCO Spotfire is easy to adjust to. The dashboards, charts and graphs that can be created are very much industry standard and best in class. This makes it easy for any data analyst to get started quickly on the application and start to render data in meaningful ways, to derive insights for decision making
This is one of the most useful features. For projects that make use of geospatial and locational data, the TIBCO Spotfire Mapping/Geographic Visualizations are a godsend. Due to the way that geospatial data is rendered, having access to a robust library like TIBCO Spotfire Mapping/Geographic Visualizations helps with data processing, locational mapping and rendering much more easily.
Read Jaren Lim's full review
October 30, 2020
James Kim | TrustRadius Reviewer
Spotfire is being used across the whole organization for various applications. Overall, it integrates multiple sources of data to be able to spend more time analyzing rather than data manipulation. For me, I merge well, completions, reservoir, and geological data together to find trends and correlations that contribute to well performance, determine top operators, and potential areas for acquisition.
  • Absorbs vast amounts of live & static data.
  • Customized dashboards.
  • Quick results.
  • Some visualizations are a little clunky.
  • Could use some refinement in the UI.
  • Would like to see more customizable plots/charts.
  • Not being able to align gridlines with multiple scales
In my work, the ability to combine engineering, geology, and economics into one platform is powerful. In my role in A&D, I use existing dashboards that I've created to quickly get up to speed in a new basin or play as I can quickly look at where the best wells are, the best operators, and also why (completions, economies of scale, concentrated land base, own facilities, etc.). If I were to do this the "old" way, it would take weeks rather than hours or days.
  • in-person training
I never took the formal training that was offered in our company, as it happened the month before I joined. However, I learned from colleagues and through various web searches/resources. There are a lot of resources out there (Dr. Spotfire, TIBCO Community, etc.) that I use similar to how I figured out advanced functions in Excel. Through this, I became one of the power users within the company.
We also use TIBCO Data Virtualization, which gives us live links to our data.
I have found Dr. Spotfire very helpful, as Neil's videos and articles lay out solutions very well. I've enjoyed them so much that I've let others know about them.
I haven't received any formal training on Spotfire, but have become a "power user" in my company. There are enough online resources to get up to speed with the software, and it has proven to be very versatile in different use cases.
Geographic visualizations are usually on my first page to show the location and size of various assets that I look at. It also helps me to know where to go next, once I get a geographical lay of the land.
Read James Kim's full review
January 16, 2021
Stephen DuBois, PE | TrustRadius Reviewer
It is currently being used in our Engineering department and we hope to expand that across other groups within our company. Our data was limited to Excel spreadsheets and this has helped to move us past this to fully utilize the data we are collecting.
  • Clean and versatile presentation of data.
  • Adding and subtracting information in analyses.
  • Some data streams should be visibly controlled (colors for gas, oil, and water) should be defaulted.
The graphing ability is impressive, as data is looked at and quickly added or subtracted.
  • no training
We are signing up for training as the software was not intuitive.
Read Stephen DuBois, PE's full review
October 27, 2020
TIBCO Spotfire is being used by our team to serve as a KPI dashboard for various clients to show the performance on their data using analytics. It is also being used to create new visualizations that can further highlight how the data can be viewed and further sliced into smaller chunks to be able to dive deeper into it.
  • Better Visualizations.
  • Data extraction options are easier to use.
  • Fast and slick performance.
  • Sometimes the customization features in the visualizations can be difficult to work with.
  • Data loading performance is not always the best.
  • Lack of material design and newer UI features.
Well suited for the following scenarios:
  • KPI dashboard design -- It is very helpful in designing dashboards which highlight KPIs showing data in different forms and visualizations.
  • Multi-page layout -- For scenarios where the data is supposed to be viewed in different pages, TIBCO Spotfire can help.
  • Slicing and dicing data to view different pivots -- Spotfire can show the data in various ways which helps in creating custom KPIs and visualization.
Not well suited for the following scenarios:
  • Flashy UI -- Spotfire does not have the design features or customization to use complex or flashy UI features.
  • Larger datasets -- Spotfire has lagged performance when used with extremely large datasets.
  • Self-taught
There are good training materials available online from TIBCO as well as from third-party sources. These training modules increased my ability to use different features in the tool as well as also motivated me to keep learning to create highly customized and complex dashboards/features that were quite helpful in providing complex solutions for our customers.
Overall great product with robust functionalities and helpful features.
Overall great product with robust functionalities and new features.
Good feature.
It is quite scalable.
February 19, 2021
Spotfire is used by most of the company. The production engineering department creates reports for the field and Executive team to use. It gives us great visibility on our daily production, LOE, costs, and production analytics.
  • Data import is easy.
  • Creating visuals is simple and straight forward.
  • You can create visuals to show exactly what you need.
  • Sometimes it can be difficult to make a formula work exactly as you need in Spotfire. I've experienced many times where a simple formula in Excel doesn't work in Spotfire. There is always something a lot more complicated that needs to be done instead.
Spotfire is very well suited for companies with lots of data they need to be able to look at quickly. It can easily be used with SQL data connections or an Excel sheet so it should be appropriate for any size company.
  • Online training
It helped but I still do a lot of web searching for answers on how to make certain functions and formulas work.
October 28, 2020
It is used mainly within my department, which uses it as a support tool for making investigative analysis and reporting. My department also provides reports to other departments, which use such reports for consumer users. The business problems addressed by Spotfire are mainly finance, market, and process analysis.
  • User-friendliness: People with different backgrounds become expert users of the software very quickly.
  • Report management: it is very easy to amend a report modifying formulas, views, and data structures.
  • Look and feel: in a well-designed report, it is very easy to find the right insights, thanks to embedded functionalities as marking and filters.
  • Some visualizations should be more configurable and customizable.
  • Data mapping could be more efficient if represented in a graphical way.
  • Company customizations, such as logo and templates, are not immediately accessible to high-level users.
It is very well suited to tasks related to discovery analysis. It may improve in terms of static reporting and publishing.
  • Online training
It provided us with the basics of the tool. We managed to become expert autonomously quite shortly.
Automation services and statistics services.
We strongly benefited from such integrations, since they gave us the opportunity of automating a lot of formerly manually-operated tasks, therefore reducing our operational costs and use of advanced R scripts in many reports accessed via a web player.
October 30, 2020
TIBCO Spotfire is widely used by business analysts at my company for data analysis and data visualization purposes. It would especially valuable for someone who was only using Excel and/or VBA for data analysis.
  • Analytics.
  • Visualization.
  • Automation.
  • Bad documentation.
  • Small user-base.
  • Lack of available training.
The tool is well suited for data analysts or business analysts who only have been using Excel or VBA for data analysis. On the other hand, the tool is not as good as R or Python which have much better analysis capabilities.
  • no training
With the online training that I got, I am able to be more confident to operate the tool without trying to figure out the stuff one by one myself. What is more, the training also give me the ability to make critical modification which helps us to adjust the tool in the future.
March 02, 2020
Drew McMinn | TrustRadius Reviewer
The Spotfire product is being used by a specific department to provide clients with insights into the data that we collect for them. The collected data is customer feedback about their service, we then provide interactive reports via Spotfire to allow our clients to slice and dice the data and compare themselves to competitors.
  • User experience
  • Simplicity
  • Feature abundance
  • Automated report refreshing
  • More intuitive cluster performance information
  • Further administrative/API capabilities
Given the cons, I cannot quite give it a top rating. We've had issues with the cluster that have shown instabilities and no resolution or concrete solutions from TIBCO. Otherwise, it's a great product that our company and our clients enjoy using on a regular basis. It has come a long way since we started using it.
  • no training
Early on we did some online training. Since then it has been hands-on experience and trial/error. The documentation can be cumbersome but allows us to figure things out.
We have integrated with several data warehouse and analytics backends, some of these include:
  • Amazon Redshift
  • Apache Hive
  • Apache Kafka
  • PostgreSQL
  • MS SQL
  • MySQL
This has been a huge benefit and we enjoy this capability to allow future system changes the ability to work with Spotfire on the fly.
Read Drew McMinn's full review
June 28, 2020
Spotfire is being used across the whole organization. We've connected to over 23 data sources with ease and have built corporate dashboards for drilling, completions, operations, geology, and reserves. We've also used Spotfire to build some complex Models. Spotfire Analyst users enjoy using it for slicing and dicing their data.
  • They have an excellent support team. Every one of their support engineers are top quality. You don't have to deal with the dreaded Tier 1, tell me about your problem and then I'll send you to Tier 2 scenario.
  • We're able to quickly build POCs in a matter of days. Spotfire's data wrangling capabilities are amazing, and if you need a little bit more data engineering/data science power, you have the option of using Python or R.
  • Spotfire is very extensible. If there's some advanced visualization that's not available out of the box, we've been able to generate it thru their JSVIZ add-on, which allows us to utilize any JavaScript visualization library (ie. D3, Highcharts, Plotly, Fusioncharts, etc.).
  • They should have a lower price point for users to access the analyst version who don't require advanced capabilities. For example, a lower price if users just need to do some basic slicing and dicing with their data and not have to the data science functionality (ie. K-means clustering, regression modeling, classification modeling, etc.).
  • Currently, you can't change the font type/color on the axis, which I'm sure will eventually be available in the future as they have a Tibco Ideas portal that they're fairly responsive to and act on. I guess at the end of the day, it's about the data and what insights you get from it.
Spotfire is truly an Enterprise BI Solution. We've connected to over 23 data sources in the last 4 years. Types of databases we've connected to include, Oracle, SQL, OsiSoft PI, Rest API's, OData, and Essbase. Spotfire's allows us to cache data so that it's readily consumable for users who just require visual interaction. We've built advanced models because of the built-in R and Python capability. We're able to generate and push PDF reports via their Automation Services.
  • in-person training
Spotfire has a wealth of training material on their community website and on Youtube. They have a monthly Dr. Spotfire series, where they dive into basic/intermediate and advanced topics. We also had a local Spotfire partner provide in-person training to our analyst users.
We use Tibco's Data Virtualization, Automation Services, and Statistical Services products. We've been trialing their Tibco Statistica product for advanced analytics and it works really well with Spotfire. When you mark/filter data in Spotfire, that dataset is feed into Statistica for one or more predictive models to run, and the predicted values are instantly returned back to Spotfire so that we can quickly visualize the data and perform analysis. This allows us to run multiple scenarios very quickly. The traditional approach of R or Python programming would require a lot of manually coding to subset the data.
For every ticket I've submitted, I've always received a response back within 8 hours and the support team on the other side is highly knowledgeable with Spotfire.
July 18, 2020
It is our primary BI tool for analyzing revenue, user acquisition, web performance, and any other metrics collected for our organization. It is used primarily in the Marketing department but some dev users access it for usage metrics. It allows us to track various departmental KPIs as well as visualizing any other performance goals as required.
  • Custom calculations within visualizations.
  • Flexible data source connectors.
  • Built-in trend and statistical analysis.
  • More customization within each visualization ie. manually adjusting elements within a chart, such as labels.
  • More user-friendly automation to allow for scheduled updates of files.
  • Map-based visualizations are much harder than they need to be.
Best suited for companies or departments that require higher-level statistical calculations. It's not for BI amateurs and isn't as user friendly as some of the competition.
  • no training
I am completely self-taught on the software.
July 15, 2020
Organization usage: focused in development and operations departments.

Business Problems:
  • Visualization of operations metrics such as production tracking.
  • Data QC.
  • Prototype advanced analytical approaches.
  • Interactive visualizations ("Brush UI").
  • Data wrangling interface.
  • Search function for Spotfire features.
  • Steep learning curve.
  • Self help options confusing - online help is convoluted; inline help is mediocre.
  • Trellis by a hierarchy or custom grouping of categories.
Well Suited:
  • Data exploration including with the recommendation engine - these are useful reminders of perhaps hidden configurations of the base plots.
  • Distributing custom code via data functions.
  • Builds very nicely off a standard data platform such as TDV.
Poorly suited:
  • Not fully multi-user: risks in active collaboration on a Spotfire project and potential saving over each other's work.
  • Standalone not a strong data analytics tool - we've had to customize/augment with custom code or statistica.
  • in-person training
Impact was limited and really only provided awareness. Training was more useful to power users who were able to pickup a few additional tips or workflows. Our current training is more one on one now with new users having a chance to try it out first. We have access to online training but usage has been little.
Integrated with TIBCO Data Virtualization (TDV) and recently Data Science Workbench (DSW). TDV has been critical as the backbone to standardizing our data views and providing ready to use infolinks for users. Early days with DSW though our current expectations and early experience indicate this will be a very useful way of encapsulating more complex workflows in a friendly UI and publish via data functions.
July 13, 2020
We use it for data analysis and reporting. I have personally used it to better present data from multiple data sources into a concise and easily referenced layout.
  • Great dashboards
  • Intuitive interface
  • Easy integrations
  • Better interoperability
It is great for reporting and analytics. It would be less suited for stand-alone data storage and ingestion. It works better with pulling data from a dedicated storage location such as a database. I utilized it to better present data from multiple data sources into compliance dashboards for senior leadership.
March 09, 2020
TIBCO Spotfire is widely used in my current, previous, and a few other organizations where I worked as a consultant. It helped the management and various departments to see the overall and detailed picture of their business. It helps to identify the problematic area and make necessary business decisions that help the company to better perform in a cost-effective manner. It is used by several departments. Example: Production Department was able to keep track of the overall daily production. They are able to analyze the declining curve, able to analyze production at pad level, well level, etc. Land Department was able to keep track of the various documents that their department is processing in a day. The accounting department was able to keep track of the LOE. There are several other departments that uses this product to see their overall performance of their departments. This is a great product.
  • Great visualization.
  • Retrieval of data by connecting to various sources like MSSQL Server, Access, Excel, Oracle, Txt file.
  • Handling of many millions of records.
  • Good security features.
  • I see some areas where Spotfire can do an improvement when we do grouping. I see spotfire executes multiple times the same query for the grouping, instead if we can execute onetime get the data will be much more efficient. When executing the same query over and over again for many million rows is time consuming which slows down the performance of Spotfire.
I would say in every company they should use Spotfire to get an overall idea about the business. This is a highly recommended tool. I don't think it is suitable for a very small organization where things can be managed by other tools. This is well suited in an organization with millions of turn overs and high cash flow.
  • in-person training
Increases the confidence in me, the way I'm building the dashboards. Learned so many new ways to get things done in short period of time.
October 19, 2019
Bernardo J Garcia Jr, CPA | TrustRadius Reviewer
I recently used TIBCO Spotfire to build a joint interest payout template to help me gauge on which properties had reached paid out the status and required to bring carried interest owners back in the deck. The company was using an antiquated system to prepare payout statements but many of the statements had errors or bad data, and there was no transparency to calculate penalty uplift charges.
  • Report Automation
  • Enforce data integrity.
  • Visual interpretation of data.
  • Guidance on what functions exist in Spotfire desktop version versus Spotfire Cloud version.
  • Create Spotfire desktop version for Mac operating system that is comparable to Windows operation desktop version.
Spotfire is well-suited for combining tables to create metric cross tables. Spotfire does not seem well suited for creating templates that combine cumulative balances from different columns.
  • no training
I primarily used TIBCO website and TIBCO YouTube channel.
My organization has info links that integrate into our enterprise system (SAP). There are other integration points, but we're not aware of any at this time.
Read Bernardo J Garcia Jr, CPA's full review
December 12, 2019
Aditya Singh | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are currently using TIBCO Spotfire in life sciences, energy, banking and retail domain and it has always given the best results to the business users.
  • Data Loading from multiple datasources and data connectors especially Information Links.
  • Drill Down, Sharing and collaborating analysis.
  • Support to IronPython, Statistical programming like R-Script, S+, MATLAB and analytical cababilities
  • GeoMapping - WMS layes, TMS Layers, Recommendation Engine, Theme based dashboarding
  • User Interface can be improved.
  • Scope to add new charts like area chart, bubble chart.
TIBCO Spotfire is one of the best product available in the market which is used in all the functional areas addressing all the queries. This will help you to find the hidden insights and create wonderful reports using your data.
TIBCO Spotfire can connect with most of the data sources, data connectors and gives best results to users.
Spotfire gives a very rich and interactive interface for Map Chart using different types of mapping layers like WMS(Web Map Service) and recently included TMS(Tile Map Service). These helps to bring different types of background layers on the existing map chart for any region to show relevant information to the users.
The Spotfire support is quite responsive on the support requests but sometimes the issues(requirements) can't be achieved as those are not available in Spotfire and there is no out of box solution so they ask to raise enhancement request. Also, TIBCO community play a very important role by encouraging users to post their doubts and queries and other users can reply to them.
TIBCO Spotfire is very useful to any of the organization looking to find insights in their data.
Yes - I have upgraded Spotfire environment 10's of times and process was always completed smoothly.
Read Aditya Singh's full review
October 03, 2019
John Sanford | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Spotfire for data analytics across our organization.
  • Ease of use
  • Mapping capabilities
  • Powerful
  • Steeper learning curve vs. other platforms
Does everything we need it to.
  • Online training
The online training format from the Spotfire staff was very effective for us from both a learning and time efficiency standpoint.
Read John Sanford's full review
February 27, 2020
We have TIBCO Spotfire connected to on-site databases to create engineering and operations dashboards to drive actions. It is being used by departments such as equipment engineering, process engineering, yield, operations, all taking in data from a variety of data warehouses or databases and sometimes uploaded from Excel sheets where required. TIBCO Spotfire is solving the business problem of helping spot what areas need action.
  • On click actions
  • Python integration
  • More chart options--lots exist, but there are some great ones out that are hard to make currently
I would recommend TIBCO Spotfire anywhere where quick iterations of reporting pages are needed. It really excels at getting the data out there for users to see. One area where I do see it struggle is that once the reports get big, the speed slows down and could be an issue. Maybe it just needed more caching mechanisms.
  • in-person training
Got a good start on our own. We did have a Spotfire consultant on-site to help with training and it was very helpful to have someone to ask questions about Spotfire when we were stuck and did not know a good solution.
If our company used any of the other productions that TIBCO offered I was not aware of it.
December 02, 2019
Tibco Spotfire is used in my organization for efficient analysis of various market data. It is used to represent a large volume of data in a visual way that enables us to spot new and emerging trends that can impact the bottom line of businesses in the long run. We often use advanced data visualization of Tibco Spotfire for efficient trend or pattern analysis.
  • Data visualizations.
  • Allows data sharing more easily with team members and colleagues.
  • I use the visualized data in PowerPoint for client reference. Using graphics is much easier than words.
  • The navigation within Tibco Spotfire is pretty confusing. The icons within Tibco Spotfire do not seem to be user-friendly.
  • Not very convenient for smaller size data.
  • The analyst version of Tibco Spotfire is quite expensive but since we are utilizing the platform almost fully, the paid is justified.
Tibco Spotfire is convenient for a research analyst or data analyst. Tibco Spotfire works more on quantitative data analysis rather than qualitative. The insights gathered through this software are more on the behavior of data itself hence, Tibco Spotfire is more suitable for pattern and trend analysis.
  • no training
The tutorials on Tibco Spotfire is extremely beneficial for effective navigation within the software. Paid online tutorials helped me to do data analysis and draw insights efficiently.
November 18, 2019
Spotfire is being used across several divisions in the organizations. In the 'unconventionals' division that deals with hundreds of rigs and tens of thousands of wells. It uses Spotfire as its go-to analytics tool. The users range from Technicians, Engineers, Geologist, Scientists, to Business Analysts. The business problems range from corporate benchmarking analyses to engineering & operations efficiency work-flows.
  • It makes it easy for everyone to access data from a centrally managed location.
  • It is able to handle and visualize very large data sets in memory
  • By leveraging its scripting capabilities, authors to create very sophisticated and complex work-flows to easy-to-use solutions.
  • It reduces the need for larger IT organization to support business needs, by allowing business users to become self supporting.
  • Additional out-of-the-box visualizations.
  • Repository/source control.
  • Library to support storing other (non-Spotfire) files in order to have one repository.

If the need to analyze large datasets where users would like to interact with the data and interact with the visualization, Spotfire is the tool of choice. If you want to quickly simplify analytical work-flows to be used by others and have the option to use them on the web, Spotfire is the tool.

If you just want to create simple graphs from data, any tool (including Spotfire) can be used.

• in-person training
There are many advanced analytical work-flows that are used everyday that leverage the R language.
October 19, 2019
Our research group is using Spotfire to find relationships between water quality parameters in water well samples taken from shallow aquifers. Spotfire displays the data very quickly, making the data review stage very efficient and allowing for multiple comparisons within minutes. It allows us to determine where we would like to go next in our research.
  • efficient
  • data display
  • ease of use
  • could use more colour options in display
  • data display could be more customizable
  • expensive for individuals or small research groups
Well suited for large data comparisons. Great for spatial data! Very good for the data sorting stage of review where you're trying to determine interesting relationships or non-correlating parameters. Great for oil and gas work flow as well as aqueous geochemistry studies.
  • Self-taught
I would have liked to have had actual training to have been able to get the full functionality of Spotfire but, it's not hard to learn if you're using it for basic visual display and data analysis.
We did not use Spotfire in association with other TIBCO products.
November 22, 2019
It is used to visualize new discoveries in data. It is used by our Data Science team which is lead by the Data and Analytics team at Omnitracs. It allows us to get to actionable insights more rapidly by providing clinical business users throughout the organization with unmatched speed and flexibility to address clinical safety questions.
  • Automated reporting
  • Data Security
  • Visualizing and displaying data
  • Slow performance for large data set
  • Too many options , complicated user outfit
  • Not very good user interface
TIBCO Spotfire is one of the best suited product available in the market. It is being used in all the functional areas addressing all the queries. It will help you find the hidden information in your data.
  • Online training
So far so good. Learning and sharing.
October 09, 2019
TIBCO Spotfire is currently being used across the department. It helps in the visualization and analyzing of the production data, which is useful for both internal evaluation and external presentations.
  • Visualizing dataset.
  • Categorizing data.
  • Filtering data.
  • Loglines and log scales need to be an option for the graphs.
  • Titles and names should have more advanced options in a simple manner(no programming needed). Users should be able to specify the content from the table and formating for it.
  • The search for the keyword in the filter needs to be improved.
  • Labeling on the graph needs to be improved as they are not very good.
  • Drawing order needs to be a simple option for line graphs.
Spotfire is a good software when graphing from complex categories and time is needed.
Spotfire is less appropriate when encountering the listed improvement points. Some of the problem data processing/editings may be done by Excel but I wish Spotfire could have simpler ways to solve them.

Pixel Perfect reports (29)
Customizable dashboards (265)
Report Formatting Templates (231)
Drill-down analysis (260)
Formatting capabilities (272)
Integration with R or other statistical packages (198)
Report sharing and collaboration (245)
Publish to Web (203)
Publish to PDF (243)
Report Versioning (18)
Report Delivery Scheduling (154)
Pre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.) (278)
Location Analytics / Geographic Visualization (244)
Predictive Analytics (209)
Multi-User Support (named login) (215)
Role-Based Security Model (183)
Multiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete) (201)
Responsive Design for Web Access (156)
Dedicated iOS Application (110)
Dedicated Android Application (11)
3.4
Dashboard / Report / Visualization Interactivity on Mobile (129)
REST API (53)
Javascript API (52)
iFrames (39)
Java API (44)
Themeable User Interface (UI) (53)
Customizable Platform (Open Source) (45)

What is TIBCO Spotfire?

TIBCO Spotfire® is a data visualization platform that aims to speed individual time to insight and spur analytics adoption across the organization. According to the vendor, Spotfire helps users quickly and easily generate insights with three new ways to support their analytical preferences: NLQ powered search, AI-driven recommendations, and direct manipulation. Users can add context with native streaming for integrated analyses of real-time and historical data, best-in-class geoanalytics, and one-click predictive analytics to go beyond basic visualizations and understand the factors driving trends and what will happen next.

TIBCO Cloud Spotfire® provides the same business intelligence tools as Spotfire Desktop, with the addition of web authoring.

According to the vendor, Spotfire's differentiating hybrid in-memory/in-database analytics architecture supports the most demanding enterprise needs, easily scaling to thousands of users and limitless rows of data.

Spotfire is deployed in companies in financial services, energy, manufacturing, consumer packaged goods, government, travel & logistics, helathcare, life sciences and more.

TIBCO Spotfire Features

BI Platform Features

Has featureAdministration via Windows App
Has featureAdministration via MacOS App
Has featureAdministration via Web Interface
Has featureLive Connection to External Data
Has featureSnapshot of External Data
Has featureIn-memory data model
Has featureOLAP (Pre-processed cube representation)
Has featureMulti-Data Source Reporting (Blending)
Has featureData warehouse / dictionary layer
Has featureETL Capability
Has featureETL Scheduler

Supported Data Sources Features

Has featureMS Excel Workbooks
Has featureText Files (CSV, etc)
Has featureOracle

Has featureDrill-down analysis
Has featureFormatting capabilities
Has featurePredictive modeling
Has featureIntegration with R or other statistical packages
Has featureReport sharing and collaboration

Report Output and Scheduling Features

Has featurePublish to Web
Has featurePublish to PDF
Has featureOutput Raw Supporting Data
Has featureReport Delivery Scheduling

Data Discovery and Visualization Features

Has featurePre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.)
Has featureLocation Analytics / Geographic Visualization
Has featurePredictive Analytics
Has featureSupport for Machine Learning models
Has featurePattern Recognition and Data Mining
Has featureIntegration with R or other statistical packages

Access Control and Security Features

Has featureMulti-User Support (named login)
Has featureRole-Based Security Model
Has featureMultiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete)
Has featureReport-Level Access Control
Has featureTable-Level Access Control (BI-layer)
Has featureField-Level Access Control (BI-layer)

Mobile Capabilities Features

Has featureREST API
Has featureJavascript API
Has featureiFrames
Has featureJava API
Has featureThemeable User Interface (UI)
Has featureCustomizable Platform (Open Source)

TIBCO Spotfire Screenshots

TIBCO Spotfire Videos (4)

TIBCO Spotfire Downloadables

TIBCO Spotfire PlatformPlease contact TIBCO sales
SaaS EditionPricing DetailsTerms
TIBCO Cloud Spotfire - Analyst$125/mo, $1250/yrPer Seat
TIBCO Cloud Spotfire - Business Author$65/mo, $650/yrPer Seat
TIBCO Spotfire for Amazon Web Services$0.99Per Hour (Starting)
TIBCO Spotfire Cloud EnterprisePlease contact TIBCO sales
TIBCO Cloud Spotfire - Consumer$25/mo, $250/yrPer Seat

For Enterprise engagements, please contact TIBCO directly for a custom price quote.

TIBCO Spotfire Support Options