Pentana Risk - generally great
November 23, 2020
Pentana Risk - generally great
Score 8 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Pentana Risk
We currently use Pentana Risk for risk registers, PIs and some documents (mainly health and safety). It's being used by managers across the organisation, including the senior leadership team. It addresses a variety of problems - not having to use a variety of MS Office products to produce reports/display information; succession planning/inheriting; users can access data as required without having to ask my team; ability to produce reports showing different cuts of data as required; golden thread - links between risks, business objectives and PIs.
- Pentana is excellent for monitoring, recording and reporting on PIs. Very easy to use the PI module.
- Pentana is excellent for monitoring risks at various levels (service, strategic etc.). Risks are displayed very clearly in a tree structure and the module is relatively easy to use.
- Pentana could improve the free Documents module that comes with Pentana Risk. At the moment documents have to be linked to an action in order to display query results (such as how many documents are due for review) - this can be confusing for users who don't understand why there is an action linked. There is also no easy way for users to see the documents that are assigned to them.
- We would like to use the Actions module fully in order to monitor our corporate projects, but it a bit confusing for users and not very flexible when a project doesn't mirror Pentana's way of monitoring actions.
- Pentana Risk has allowed my team to focus on other areas of work whereas before we would be manually chasing for updates on PIs and risk. Pentana Risk does the chasing for us!
- We are able to produce reports for audit purposes very easily, rather than sending spreadsheets which is what we used to do.
- New managers can easily inherit risks, projects and PIs and see all of this on a custom portal, saving them time when they start.
We selected Pentana because our neighbouring authorities are users and had spoken highly of the product and given us demonstrations; some of our staff were also familiar with Pentana when it was called Covalent. It seemed to be the best product on the market for monitoring risks, PIs and projects.
Some modules are more user-friendly than others. It's sometimes not obvious where to click to update the fields (or even that field titles can be clicked on). We have written 'Howdys' to help users. There can also seem to be a lot of steps/clicks to updating risks and actions. The Reports module on Pentana classic is certainly not user-friendly, particularly the Report Layout and Charts modules - we were told these would be integrated into the web version but this hasn't happened yet.
The support team are excellent and always answer queries promptly. They are very helpful.
Do you think Pentana Risk delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Pentana Risk's feature set?
Did Pentana Risk live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of Pentana Risk go as expected?
Would you buy Pentana Risk again?
Pentana is great for monitoring PIs and risks. We find it less helpful for monitoring projects (with the Actions module); it isn't quite flexible enough for our needs, though the support team have been very helpful in adding custom fields for us.