Articulate Storyline Reviews

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Matt LeMaire, B.A., M.A. profile photo
Generally, we use Articulate Storyline to develop training materials for our staff. We often use the software to help guide workflows and processes that prove useful in getting new team members up to speed or training existing team members on additional processes. It is used across each department in the organization, depending on training needs. The main business problem it addresses is that it allows us to provide easy access to training for team members that can be accessible from multiple locations and devices. Moreover, it does not require additional resources to have someone directly on hand to train the employee in the processes, limiting the opportunity cost. Employees learn the process by getting walked through via Storyline and any follow-up questions can be addressed directly as needed.
  • Design is intuitive and easy to learn. Anyone familiar with PowerPoint can easily get into Storyline. While some elements require more advanced learning, the general basis of the software works excellently by leveraging knowledge of PowerPoint.
  • Optimization. We have had staff comment on how the software adjusts based on the device they are using and responds effortlessly whether using on a mobile device or a standard computer/notebook.
  • Learning curve. As simple as the more basic aspects of the software can be to use, the more advanced features can be complicated and take some time to get used to. This is something where you'll have to dedicate yourself to getting a full grasp of what the program can do.
  • Cost. Articulate Storyline is a costly endeavour. While in the long run it is worth it, you'll need to consider whether the usage, and therefore ROI, is ultimately worth it for your organization.
In an office where you're planning to do a large amount of module-based training, Articulate Storyline will prove useful. A consideration to make, however, is whether your team members focused on training design will have the capacity to learn the software enough to create interesting and effective training modules. The basic functions can be simple, but the more advanced capabilities of the software take considerable effort to master and employ to create the more visually appealing presentations/modules you see in much of the promotional materials. If you have a small training team (or even without anyone dedicated specifically to training and development), Storyline is not a wise choice as the cost and effort required to fully make use of the software would be far too much of a commitment to make it worthwhile.
Read Matt LeMaire, B.A., M.A.'s full review
Kyle Trail profile photo
I've used Storyline for nearly anything you can think of at my organization. Now, I am the only one developing with it currently and I'm within our Training department.

We've had a variety of issues come up where Storyline wasn't originally considered for development. In the end, though, it was obviously the answer. From just SCORM holders for video, which required completion or retention monitoring, to an interactive map for a client in the exported format of a website, I've used Storyline for a variety of projects.
  • The Online Community is an amazing conglomeration of professionals that are always willing to assist a developer with ideas, troubleshooting, and more. Just having someone available to talk to about how to create your vision within the software is invaluable.
  • The user interface is familiar and easily navigable. If you've used MS Office products, then you'll know where you are and where to go find what you need. Since Office is everywhere, I'd bet you're familiar.
  • I wasn't on board, initially, with the subscription model. I've found that it is a great idea for a variety of reasons. Interactivity with the other products (Review and Rise) is outstanding and flawless.
  • The formats that are available for export are great as well. As I stated earlier, the ability to export as a website really helped me create something special for a particular client that has resulted in that website being used across thousands of locations worldwide. Pretty powerful stuff there.
  • Precision is a sore spot when it comes to developing in Storyline. Much like trying to be precise with items using PowerPoint, it is a frustrating prospect. I'd imagine it has something to do with the product being rooted within the MS Office/PowerPoint format.
  • While I'm familiar with the ribbon in Office, it's flawed for sure. I've found this to be the same within Storyline. Again, I'd imagine it has something to do with the similarity.
  • There are never enough animations/transitions. Though I've managed to mix multiple animations, etc., It's never enough.
I think that if you can truly think outside of the set parameters, you can do almost anything with Storyline. Again, I know I've used it in ways I've never imagined prior to that. Initially, when developing the website, I'd assumed I'd be using a web development tool married with some programming in HTML and Javascript. While I still used some Javascript for parts of it, it was precious little.

Knowing that I can always just drop a video onto a slide and then export the whole thing as a SCORM file is an easy way to get older pieces up to date so that we can make sure people are retaining the knowledge we're passing onto them.
Read Kyle Trail's full review
Michael Whatley profile photo
Articulate Storyline is a great rapid eLearning development tool. Anyone who can use PowerPoint can use Articulate, so it has done a tremendous job making eLearning development available to non-learning professionals. There are certainly more advanced techniques within the platform that allow it to complete on a deeper level with more robust tools such as Adobe Captivate; however, the learning curve for Storyline is so short that you can produce high-quality courses with very little effort.
  • Articulate does a good job of making complex interactivity simple to obtain.
  • Articulate does a great job of keeping their interface clean and intuitive for MS Office users.
  • Articulate could do better with its screen capturing abilities.
  • Articulate should consider adding additional interactivity features that make it more competitive with Adobe Captivate.
For those just getting started in eLearning, or those who are asked to develop online modules as a task of their non-related job, then Articulate is a great way to get your feet wet. The interface is so similar to MS PowerPoint that moving between the tools is nearly seamless. If you're more comfortable working in PowerPoint, you can simply import your slides into Articulate and then add in SCORM or xAPI components to make your PowerPoint more similar to a traditional eLearning module.
Read Michael Whatley's full review
We have a team of dedicated developers who work in multiple platforms. One of our main tools used with multiple clients is Storyline. We often recommend Storyline for ease of use and versatility. Using this tool allows us to reach a high level of fidelity and be able to turn over the work to the client for their own on-going maintenance.
  • Great for rapid authoring of e-learning modules.
  • Can be used as a simulation or prototyping tool.
  • Great for creating e-learning that leverages variables for personalized learning experiences.
  • Some functionality is quirky. For example Arial font renders strange kerning issues that cannot be overcome.
  • Image compression can be unpredictable. It is hard to include clean screenshots that require high-detail.
  • Player control customization can be limiting.
Great for building e-learning quickly and easily.
Mark Labbett profile photo
Currently, Storyline is used mainly by our Instructional Design Team. A few other departments use it in a small capacity for training purposes. We initially purchased the product as a way to help enhance our online courses. We wanted to develop interactions that would engage students with more than just text. We wanted to use interactions such as drag and drop, reveal answers, and other ways to help the learner understand the content.
  • Storyline integrates with the Canvas LMS fairly seamlessly. There have been a few glitches, but for the most part, the interactions we have created will play directly in the Canvas LMS.
  • Storyline is great for creating short drag and drop interactions for self-reviews or even graded assignments. Its many options for quizzes such as "answer reveal" or using tabs help the student get a different perspective on the content rather than just an "A, B, or C" answer.
  • Storyline is great for tutorials or training sessions. There are many options to help guide the learner (or employee) through a process. it is not just linear, but you can branch the slides based on the answers. A great way to engage the learner or employee.
  • As stated earlier, Storyline does work well with Canvas, however, there have been glitches experienced. Specifically, it is hard to narrow down the problems, but I think Canvas and Articulate need to do better at making sure that they are comparable.
  • Storyline is not easy to learn, especially when you want to do more complex interactions. They do have a nice community set up to help with common problems and questions. However, it can be a longer learning curve when first starting out on Storyline.
  • If you are working on a more complex interaction it can be a very tedious process. Working with many different slides and layers requires a lot of focus on the task. Definitely not a program you can multitask with.
I think Storyline is great for self-reviews. It is fairly easy to set up a "Drag and Drop" slide with a few questions to drag over to the right answer. You can use pictures and graphics to make it more appealing and interactive. It is also very useful for training processes. For example, if you wanted to show someone how to use a specific program, you can use screenshots and screen video captures to help show the process. I think it would be harder to use Storyline for a class lecture or just for videos. For example, if you wanted to record a physical classroom, or record a screen capture in which you are just using screen captures.
Read Mark Labbett's full review
Benjamin Brogdon profile photo
We use Articulate Storyline to develop online learning courses that are deployed to our LMS. I do not know if it is being used by other departments, but I would imagine that it is. Everyone in our department uses it. Although it happened before I joined the department, I believe that management made the decision to use Storyline when Adobe announced that they would no longer support Flash.
  • The UI closely resembles the general UI that is used by Microsoft Office products. It is instantly familiar, decreasing the learning curve.
  • Storyline is very powerful. If you can imagine the design, you can develop it in Storyline. The built-in templates and player skins offer a wide variety of page layouts. I particularly like how Storyline organizes slides by scenes and provides a visual map to help you see the course navigation.
  • Storyline is not a resource hog. You can't simply install it on any machine, but you do not need a tricked-out rig with gaming specs to run. It runs very smoothly on an Intel i5 with 8gb of RAM with plenty of system resources available for Microsoft Office and Adobe applications to run in different windows.
  • Storyline output HTML is very clean. With other authoring tools, bad Javascript and poor CSS output really had a negative impact as you had to devise workarounds and implement patches for them to work with your LMS. Storyline is the closest authoring tool that I've found "just works."
  • I wish that you could customize the UI ribbons to bring features you use frequently to the front and to hide options you rarely use.
  • It would be great if there was a way for non-technical collaborators (SMEs, management, etc) to be able to open a *.story file directly and provide comments. You currently have to publish the course, load it to the LMS, update the LMS, and then hope that users can find it in the LMS. A Storyline Viewer/Previewer standalone application would be awesome.
  • The price is too high for freelancers to purchase and use. I no longer contract and work exclusively for the firm, but even with our resources, the high price limits the number of licenses available to use.
If you are designing eLearning and need to load content into an LMS, this tool is for you. If you are a web developer looking to develop websites, this tool is not for you. If you need a drag-and-drop/WYSIWYG interface, this tool is for you. If you are a coder who uses an IDE, this tool is not for you.
Read Benjamin Brogdon's full review
Rebecca Mogollón profile photo
Articulate Storyline is only being used by me as a content developer at the company. I use it to create fun, interactive training on complex topics. It addresses the business problem of learning complex material more quickly. The topics that must be learned by our consultants are extremely complex and it is very easy to get confused and/or bored. Articulate Storyline allows us to make learning more engaging and fun, and thus, our learners learn more!
  • Articulate Storyline has a very intuitive interface and is very easy to learn. My mother was the one who originally introduced it to me and she was using it before I was (and she's a librarian, not a content developer or training designer!).
  • The support team is EXCELLENT. If you ever run into any glitches, issues, or confusion, you can contact Articulate Support and they will respond quickly with a high rate of solving your problem (at least mine, anyway!).
  • Articulate provides a content library of images and templates that can effortlessly make your finished Storyline projects high quality and professional-looking.
  • Although the professional content library is available, it is still pretty easy for new users to make overly cartoonish looking pieces of training.
  • The program is very heavy load so you have to have a pretty powerful computer to run it effectively.
  • Final projects can be played by anyone but they can sometimes be glitchy because they are a bit heavy for users to run on their computers.
Articulate Storyline is well-suited for providing engaging, interactive training modules for any range of learning topics.

It is not very well suited for exams, although they do advertise as having a robust exam feature. While the exam feature is indeed robust, it is also a heavy load for users' computers so a classic HTML-based testing software is very much preferred!
Read Rebecca Mogollón's full review
Rebecca McKenna profile photo
My learning platform team uses Storyline to edit and publish eCourse modules that are created for us by external vendors. Our HR department also uses it to create training modules for internal employees.
  • It is a versatile tool that can create a wide variety of eLearning experiences.
  • It interfaces well with SCORM Cloud, which is what we use for dispatching eCourses to clients.
  • It is fairly inexpensive for a single user license.
  • The way it handles variables is confusing and not intuitive. This could be streamlined.
  • Attaching documents to an eCourse resources section presents problems when the documents are not located on the computer that is publishing the course.
  • Sometimes the courses do not work in Safari.
Storyline is useful for creating fairly complex eCourse modules with branching decision paths. If you are only looking to create very simple eCourses, its functionality might be overwhelming and unnecessary. It is helpful to have Storyline in a company's arsenal because it is widely used by eCourse vendors, so when an eCourse is delivered and requires edits (copy editing, etc.), then the content manager or LMS manager should definitely have access to this tool.
Read Rebecca McKenna's full review
Relton McBurrows profile photo
Articulate Storyline is being used as a course authoring tool in creating our online learning throughout the hospital. It is primarily being used by our department in creating professional development, orientation training, and compliance training. We also use it to create embedded quizzes and exams for testing new staff and nurses.
  • Articulate is very intuitive to use. If you know PowerPoint, you can get a good start with Storyline.
  • Storyline allows for an editable import of PowerPoint slides. Most of our content starts as PowerPoint files.
  • Articulate is full of features to create interactive lessons
  • When creating quizzes and forms within Storyline, it would be helpful to be able to embed multiple data entry modes (i.e. radio buttons & pull-down).
  • Storyline also lacks the ability to apply an audio track across multiple slides.
  • Storyline's narration interface is cumbersome. It lacks the ability to record voiceovers while in the slide, allowing users to track with animations.
Articulate Storyline is extremely well suited for the novice to intermediate course developer. Built on a PowerPoint structure and interface, the workflow is very easy to learn. It is also well-suited to environments like ours where the majority of subject matter experts are producing their content first in PowerPoint. The content import features are unmatched by close competitors.
Read Relton McBurrows's full review
Tracy Ford profile photo
We have been using Storyline to create microlearnings that we can assign and track. We have also used it as an interactive calendar for our training events.
  • User interface replicates PowerPoint, so it is very easy and natural.
  • Content Library is a fantastic asset.
  • Collaborating on a project is maybe its best feature.
  • Sharing content without an LMS is possible.
  • Expanding the interactions would be nice.
  • Opening more than one project at a time requires opening the program again.
Great software, easy collaboration and sharing.
Read Tracy Ford's full review
Le Tu Quynh profile photo
We’re currently using storyline for creating interactive training material, especially for sales and safety training across 116 countries. As we standardizing our training, this tool helps us to create a uniform, dynamic training to replace the traditional methods.
  • Good content library.
  • Dynamic built-in templates.
  • Various trigger types allows unlimited creativity.
  • More adaptive and unique function for mobile.
  • Able to draw charts and visualize data.
  • Draw lines and boxes with connected points like powerpoint.
Suitable for a training specialist who wants to make training material differently & offer online training. Not suitable for those who don’t have much time and just focus on hands-on experiences or practices.
Read Le Tu Quynh's full review
Brandon Bakken profile photo
We use Articulate Storyline for most of our online staff education across our whole organization. This program helps us publish cross-platform training in a selection of different coding conventions. It's flexibility with importing PowerPoints and its ability to import many different media types make it an ideal program to create a variety of online courses covering a vast array of subject matter for our organization.
  • Free stock library.
  • Multiple output options.
  • Multiple ready to use layout and design options.
  • Constantly updating and bugs being removed and added.
  • Large bugs appear occasionally and can completely stop your production.
  • Limited functionality in areas of animation and coding unless you know Javascript.
If you want a solid program that you can spin up courses for an LMS, that is easy to use for almost anyone, look no further. Be warned it can be limited in some areas, but after lots of use, you'll find ways around these limitations and great forums to help you achieve the look and functionality you're looking for.
Read Brandon Bakken's full review
Jamie Drahos profile photo
Articulate Storyline is primarily being used by our Training and Education department as part of the Articulate 360 subscription. We also have various users that have only licensed Storyline for minimal eLearning creation. Storyline is one of our pillars for online training development. We have approximately 350 courses that have been developed in Storyline over the years. It allows us to create in-depth and interactive training for our global workforce.
  • Compatibility with learning management systems. Storyline has remained up-to-date on SCORM standards and now xAPI development. We have had minimal issues with courses working within our LMS.
  • Mobile compatibility. This is one area that Storyline has really upped their game as of late. Their modern course player is a very nice experience on mobile.
  • The breadth of tools in a familiar package. When you open Storyline it looks very much like Microsoft Office, which is familiar to many enterprise users. However, once you dig in, you find that it has a wide range of tools to develop eLearning.
  • I would like to see a better set of video editing tools built into Storyline. The program offers basic editing for a video recorded using the screen recording function or added from an external file, but it could be better.
  • I would like to see faster save times. I have a very robust workstation that I use to edit 4k video, however, saving a large Storyline project seems to take a very long time. I would like to see this improved so it doesn't slow down my workflow.
  • An easier way to work with variables. Variables in Storyline can be a very powerful tool. However, the program does not give you a straight-forward way of learning how to use them or walking you through the process. This could be improved to help users go even further with their eLearning development.
Although there are competing products in the market, in my honest opinion, I believe Storyline is the gold standard when it comes to eLearning design and development. It is a necessary tool for any organization that is designing their own courses for online consumption.
Read Jamie Drahos's full review
Kristin Broadhead profile photo
For most of my instructional design needs, I use Storyline and the Articulate 360 suite. For our Training and Development team, Storyline is used as a rapid development tool to create online learning courses and training videos to be hosted on our LMS. It allows for quick turnaround time and is an easy design platform.
  • I appreciate the screen record has the option to auto-populate the text for events on the screen.
  • You don't have to be a graphic designer to understand how to use the software.
  • Publishing options are great! You can export to Word and even MP4!
  • I wish there was more of a library for people cut outs.
  • The publishing time seems to take significantly longer than other software I've used.
  • The file seems to get corrupted when saved on the cloud. I suggest saving local and backing up to the cloud.
Storyline allows you to create different branches of your course, which is really great when designing an onboarding course. It allows the associate to choose their position, which then directs them into the onboarding best suited for their job. Prior to the newer versions, it was less appropriate to use if you needed a video, but the enhancements now allow this - so it is great!
Read Kristin Broadhead's full review
Bruce Emmerling profile photo
Articulate Storyline is used as a training development tool to create electronic training modules. It is generally used across the board in our organization. It provides a rich set of interactive learning tools that are easier to implement than other learning programs such as Adobe Captivate. It provides tools to affordably enhance our training programs.
  • Articulate Storyline does a great job of providing interactive learning experiences.
  • The program is fairly easy to learn and utilize for ISD professionals and those with Adobe Captivate experience.
  • The interactive learning modules are responsive and flexible in design for different platforms.
  • Like other e-learning tools, Articulate can lack some development tools for fine-tuning an e-learning module. One wishes there was a back-end feature for hand coding design elements.
  • For some, the program may lack help or supportive features for training developers.
  • Not all browsers may work with modules developed in Articulate. This is also an issue with other e-learning tools.
Articulate works very well with small to medium-sized training modules. For larger, more complex training situations, it may not be as well suited. It also seems to lack some flexibility in the design elements which can be both good and bad sometimes. It makes it easier to learn the program features but more advanced users may want greater control over their work. Modules created in the program work really well on mobile platforms.
Read Bruce Emmerling's full review
Matt Graf profile photo
Articulate Storyline is a really great, user-friendly way to make interactive online educational content. We have a lot of professors who are not tech savvy and having something that they can use to help create their online courses without feeling overwhelmed is a tremendous asset. While we do most of the course construction, many professors want to contribute as well.
  • The fact that Storyline works on pretty much any device is great.
  • It is user-friendly, which is very important when it is being used by people from a wide range of tech-savvy (or non-savvy) backgrounds.
  • It just looks good! The way you are guided through the creation of your e-learning content helps make your content look really great.
  • I don't think there is anything we noticed in our time using it that we didn't like. It was very fun and easy to use.
It is very well suited for anyone looking to create online learning content who doesn't already have a platform to do so. It is one of the simplest ways I've seen to make e-learning content that looks good. You don't have to be some tech genius to make something you'll be proud to share with the online world.
Read Matt Graf's full review
Duane Stitt profile photo
February 07, 2019

Powerful and intuitive

We use Articulate Storyline within our training unit to develop interactive eLearning, video demonstrations, and other training experiences. Our organization is constantly going through changes. Articulate Storyline allows us to quickly develop relevant training to support the changes for our statewide staff without having to conduct it live or in person.
  • Storyline is very user intuitive. If you are familiar with using PowerPoint, it is an easy transition, with much more powerful tools.
  • Storyline provides helpful tools for interactive learning - branching scenarios, drag and drop, multiple choice, etc. The ability to turn any slide into a quiz slide allows for great flexibility and creativity.
  • Setting up triggers and page interactions is simple, with a comprehensive list of choices for button actions, timing options, image transitions, etc.
  • Quiz results are not able to be compiled and emailed to the trainer outside of an LMS system.
  • Some transitions cannot be combined - for example, motion along a path and zoom cannot happen at the same time.
Storyline is well suited for business training when in-person training is inefficient.
Read Duane Stitt's full review
We use Articulate Storyline as the authoring tool for our eLearning content that is then uploaded to our LMS. This allows us to create and provide content specific to our products for our internal and external customers and is used across our entire organization. It facilitates the easy creation of our own content for our own products and we have also used it for our internal compliance courses.
  • Articulate Storyline allows users to hit the ground running in a fairly short time. It was easy to learn the basics quickly in order to begin creating our courses right away.
  • If a user knows PowerPoint, then they know much about Storyline. I was not a PowerPoint user before but now have a much greater understanding of that product, too.
  • Storyline provides regular, excellent training webinars that are some of the best I have ever attended. And, as a bonus, you often get source files from those sessions.
  • Because we are a software company creating how-to eLearning for our own products, we use a lot of screen recordings. It seems that many (maybe most) users of Articulate do not do this type of content creation. We have run into a few issues with screen recordings.
  • Because of the type of application that this is, there are regular updates. And, with updates, things sometimes get broken. We have had a few issues along these lines but, for the most part, they have not been things that were difficult to work around.
  • They have focused much of their development on their Rise application. Unfortunately, that doesn't work for us (screen recordings again), so that hasn't helped us. I do wish they would place more focus on Storyline. But, I do understand their logic.
Again, our screen recordings and the nature of what we do have posed some challenges for us. But, I feel that Articulate is still new and they do appear to be working on "fleshing out" all of their products. We particularly like their Review feature (which comes with the 360/online subscription) as it allows us to follow our own internal review process without having to first upload a file to our LMS. This makes that review run more smoothly for us.

They do have their try and test modes which make excellent use of our video screen recordings, allowing us to both demonstrate a scenario and allow the learner to try it. And, of course, there are assessments, which are not difficult to create using Storyling.
My department under HR exclusively uses Articulate 360 to create web-based training courses. The courses that we create pertain to all different subjects including professional development, product knowledge, showroom, residential/commercial trade, facilities supply, operations, sales, systems, etc. All employees across the organization have access to these training courses.

Use of Articulate Storyline addresses the problems we often face with the expense of sending trainers to conduct a training class in person. Using web-based content is efficient in saving time and money so that the knowledge applied can be more hands-on and convenient.
  • Articulate Storyline is a timeline based editing software that allows all imported graphics, audio, video, and text to be seen simultaneously and adjusted on the timeline by overlapping (send to front, send to back).
  • Articulate Storyline has a customizable player that allows you to coordinate color schemes, organize resources, display of buttons/tabs, include notes or captions, audio controls, and sizing options for the browser window.
  • The Articulate community provides you with pre-made templates for slides and quizzes that you can import directly into your course through the application window. They also provide characters that range from realistic to illustrated and can be instantly imported directly from the application.
  • Articulate Storyline doesn't always allow the copying/customizing of every pre-built interaction (i.e. quizzes) and can be difficult to use at times.
  • Working on slide layers has limitations with what can be done using triggers and states outside of the base slide.
  • The modern player style does not allow for publishing with Flash and can cause a weird font issue if only using HTML. The modern player looks so much nicer than the classic, but only allows for HTML publishing.
I have to create customized courses from scratch frequently. When it comes to creating important Legal/Compliance training, I know that I can restrict certain navigation of slides and customize the way the training must be viewed with Storyline. There are so many ways to ensure that the course content is received in the correct format, along with the ability to track the completion of courses based on passing a quiz or viewing all slides in the course.
Storyline is used across our entire organization to create training for both internal employees and our corporate partners. We create sales and technical training for a variety of roles. It addresses the problem of having a global workforce that needs consistency in training delivery. We can release a training module for the entire company to support initiatives.
  • WYSIWYG editing (What you see is what you get). It's very helpful to be able to immediately see how actions and scripts affect each piece of the puzzle.
  • The flexibility of exams/quizzes is extremely beneficial. From the different question types available to the ability to randomize answers.
  • The integration of multimedia is super user-friendly—video (hyperlink or direct upload), audio, narration, etc.
  • The opportunities to utilize the motion of objects is extremely limited.
  • I don't like that you can't preview the full workings of the slide if it contains a video upload.
  • The menu visual options are fine, but not super intuitive. I'd like to have more control here.
I'm not sure it's scenario-specific. I think it's great for trainings, certification exams, video-based modules, etc. There isn't a scenario where I think it couldn't be used. It's more about creating the content based on the way that it will be used. I haven't come across a situation where it wasn't suited.
Storyline was purchased primarily for us to build our eLearning onboarding and compliance programs. We previously flew people all over the world and were able to drastically cut travel costs by implementing eLearning options.
  • Easy to pick up if you know PowerPoint
  • You can easily transform PPT docs into interactive eLearning files
  • Great online support forums
  • It’s hard to create eLearning where you can go backward through the course if you miss something.
  • Nowadays we are seeing more video eLearning. Storyline is a little outdated
  • Lack of on the job training tools
Storyline is great for compliance training. It’s also great for any soft skill training where content doesn’t change. If you are training your systems it’s not a great tool. It takes too long to edit and reshare. Rise is more suited to that.
We utilize Articulate Storyline to build interactive e-learning for our employees. These e-learning solutions have helped increase the knowledge of our company's industry, products, and services, as well as systems to help them better do their jobs. We utilize the software across the whole company and roll out new learning on a monthly basis.
  • Easy to build content.
  • Ability to utilize complex and logic-based workflows.
  • Lots of training and resources for designers.
  • Ability to customize completely.
  • Some limitations on dynamic customized movements.
Articulate Storyline is best-in-class for building simplistic, sleek, and interactive e-learning. It is less effective in instances where you really need someone in the room teaching a class, but it would be the perfect prerequisite tool to accompany those types of trainings. It is also SCORM compliance and mobile-friendly.
I use Articulate Storyline to create internal training for the entire company. It is easy to use my business objectives to create storyboards to turn into a great automated experience including embedded knowledge checks.
  • Ease of use
  • Ease of editing
  • Ease of converting to usable files for uploading
  • Difficult to copy and paste while keeping integrity of templates
  • Difficult to have multiple programs running at the same time. Storyline freezes up if more than a few programs are running concurrently.
It’s great when your learning team is one person. It’s more difficult to collaborate when designing with a team.
Chris Bloom profile photo
We use Storyline for internal training courses, both soft skill and product training. It addresses all kinds of topics, from compliance to promotions to product walkthroughs and best practices. Our team uses it for the employees, and another training team uses it for New Hire programs. We haven't used it for any external audiences at this time.
  • Intuitive. It works similar to PowerPoint in terms of slides and structure. Adding assets and narration is fairly straightforward.
  • They have a good stock library. Also, you can add different characters in a variety of poses for added effect.
  • Lots of flexibility in navigation and buttons. Variables and basic scripting makes it easy to customize.
  • Animations are lacking. Limited to real basic types of movement and animations, which can look dated and not as profressional.
  • Lacks a time feature (how much time is used, how much time is left). I know that can't always be accurate due to interactive navigation, but the option to put one in would be nice.
  • Customization of the player is limited.
It's great for creating some basic eLearning tools. The video capability is so-so, though. You can create things rapidly, which is nice. And it does have some power and flexibility. It's good especially for courses where you need to break it out in sections. Quizzing is nice because you can separate it throughout the course, and then it can be tallied together. I'm not as big a fan of external audiences, since those are more video-focused and it doesn't have as many editing capabilities as I'd like.
Read Chris Bloom's full review
Anika Hansen profile photo
Articulate Storyline is used to create a series of technical training modules for our business. It allows us to provide an asynchronous self-paced training program with minimal use of a live instructor and therefore maximize efficiency and use of resources. Currently it is used across the whole organization with customized module content depending on the department.
  • Articulate Storyline is especially adept at providing interactive training modules with the ability to add in various learning paths with animations and button selection. When done correctly it can be highly engaging for the user.
  • It is very easy to add voice over, screen shot, and screen capture video to your modules with the recording software built right into the program. This instantly eliminated our need for external software to fill these roles and was a huge time saver.
  • As we use multiple methods for module delivery, Articulate's publishing options are first rate. You can burn to a CD, publish as a SCORM package for a LMS, publish to a website, or even as a Word doc if you need to pass around just the content for review. This versatility serves all our needs.
  • One very time consuming process in creating a slide is synching up animation with a voice recording. I find I spend a lot of time dragging markers, sorting through layers, and having to constantly fine tune each second of the slide. The tools are fine, and I am not sure how this could be made faster, but a more efficient way of doing this task would be a big time saver.
  • In the adult training world it is important that end products look professional and are able to reflect the style of the business using them. Although Articulate Storyline offers many options in its characters, animations, etc., it can sometimes be a challenge to avoid a juvenile feel to the training. Sometimes those characters are downright comical, and frustrating to work with when you're trying to provide a polished technical training module.
  • When I first approach a new training project it can be overwhelming thinking about how each slide should look and function, how I want the material to flow, and how the user will transition from one topic to the next. I would love to see a brainstorming/ slide layout/ or rudimentary storyboard function. Maybe something which could be published and shared with team members for everyone to provide feedback and ideas on before development begins on the actual module slides.
Articulate Storyline is very well suited for customer service type training or other sort of flashy demonstrations as it offers a lot of human character options and interactivity features. We use Storyline for our more technical training, however we only utilize about 20% of the program's features because the characters or animations are quite out of place in our modules. We need a much more academic look and feel in our material.
Read Anika Hansen's full review

Course authoring (21)
Course catalog or library (11)
Player/Portal (20)
Learning content (16)
Mobile friendly (21)
Progress tracking & certifications (17)
Assignments (10)
Compliance management (12)
Learning administration (10)
Learning reporting & analytics (14)
Social learning (8)

About Articulate Storyline

Articulate Storyline 2 is designed to make it easy to create any interactive e-learning a user can imagine. The vendor’s value proposition is that it’s simple enough for beginners yet powerful enough for experts.

Articulate Storyline 2 is sold as a perpetual license. The latest version of Storyline is continuously updated with new features. The vendor offers a free 30-day trial.

Articulate Storyline Features

Has featureGet started building courses right away, without any training. Storyline is so intuitive to use, even beginners ramp up quickly.
Has featureCreate engaging interactivity, easily. If you can imagine an interaction, you can easily build it with Storyline. Let learners click, hover over, or drag any object to trigger any action. Build engaging interactions in minutes with buttons, sliders, markers, and hotspots. And create dynamic, personalized interactivity with intuitive variables—no programming required.
Has featureBuild immersive, engaging learner experiences with video and simulations. Record screen activity, add screencasts from Articulate Replay, and import any type of video. To create software simulations simply record your screen once, then edit whenever and however you want.
Has featureAssess learners any way you want. Turn objects on your slide into a decision-making activity–or use 25 different question types to create quizzes quickly. You can test throughout your course to get a clear view of performance, and combine results from multiple quizzes for a final score.
Has featureMake it easy for every learner to access your content. Storyline supports right-to-left languages and double-byte character sets and includes Section 508 and WCAG support.
Has featureReach learners on virtually any device with HTML5 and Flash publishing options (Storyline 2) and a fully responsive player (Storyline 360 only).
Has featurePublish for learning management systems with Tin Can API 1.0, SCORM, and AICC support.

Articulate Storyline Competitors