Articulate Storyline? Check!
January 25, 2019
Articulate Storyline? Check!
Score 8 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Articulate Storyline
We use Articulate Storyline as the authoring tool for our eLearning content that is then uploaded to our LMS. This allows us to create and provide content specific to our products for our internal and external customers and is used across our entire organization. It facilitates the easy creation of our own content for our own products and we have also used it for our internal compliance courses.
- Articulate Storyline allows users to hit the ground running in a fairly short time. It was easy to learn the basics quickly in order to begin creating our courses right away.
- If a user knows PowerPoint, then they know much about Storyline. I was not a PowerPoint user before but now have a much greater understanding of that product, too.
- Storyline provides regular, excellent training webinars that are some of the best I have ever attended. And, as a bonus, you often get source files from those sessions.
- Because we are a software company creating how-to eLearning for our own products, we use a lot of screen recordings. It seems that many (maybe most) users of Articulate do not do this type of content creation. We have run into a few issues with screen recordings.
- Because of the type of application that this is, there are regular updates. And, with updates, things sometimes get broken. We have had a few issues along these lines but, for the most part, they have not been things that were difficult to work around.
- They have focused much of their development on their Rise application. Unfortunately, that doesn't work for us (screen recordings again), so that hasn't helped us. I do wish they would place more focus on Storyline. But, I do understand their logic.
- It allowed us to rapidly create and deploy our own course content.
- Because our products change, Storyline allows for easy editing and reloading.
- It isn't perfect, but I think it's getting there.
Articulate Storyline is the only authoring tool we have used with our LMS to date. We are seeing different platforms now, as opposed to LMS platforms. And, many of those have their own content. However, we will always need to create/author our own because of the nature of what we do and how we do it. I'm a big fan!
Again, our screen recordings and the nature of what we do have posed some challenges for us. But, I feel that Articulate is still new and they do appear to be working on "fleshing out" all of their products. We particularly like their Review feature (which comes with the 360/online subscription) as it allows us to follow our own internal review process without having to first upload a file to our LMS. This makes that review run more smoothly for us.
They do have their try and test modes which make excellent use of our video screen recordings, allowing us to both demonstrate a scenario and allow the learner to try it. And, of course, there are assessments, which are not difficult to create using Storyling.