Products that are considered exceptional by their customers based on a variety of criteria win TrustRadius awards. Learn more about the types of TrustRadius awards to make the best purchase decision. More about TrustRadius Awards
Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer, and make your voice heard!
Entry-level set up fee?
- Setup fee optional
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
Would you like us to let the vendor know that you want pricing?
- Oracle Exadata
- Oracle EBS
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Azure SQL Database
- Azure SQL Database Managed Instance
- SAP ASE
What makes DPA stand out:
- Quick, easy, and reliable performance
troubleshooting available in real time and historically
- Machine learning anomaly analysis to bring intelligence to go beyond traditional threshold based analysis
- Find inefficient workloads, aggregated by table, for indexing opportunities—an “X marks the spot” tuning analysis
- Cross-platform database support for a single-pane-of-glass view into your environment
- Blocking analysis: what is blocking and a hierarchy of what is being blocked, plus overall impact
- PerfStack™ integration with other SolarWinds products for more complete visibility (applications, servers, storage, hypervisor, network, and more)
- Agent-less architecture with the ability to scale from a few instances to thousands, low 1% average overhead
- Supported: Database monitoring
- Supported: Tuning advisors for queries, workload, and indexes aggregated at the table level
- Supported: Correlated resource metrics for easy diagnosis of hardware constraint impacts on end-users
- Supported: Detailed blocking analysis for contention bottlenecks
- Supported: I/O activity tracking at the drive/mount and file level
- Supported: Alerts and reports
- Supported: DPA Central to manage large and/or distributed environments
- Supported: Always On Availability Group and RAC insights
Watch Product Overview
- SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor
- SolarWinds Virtualization Manager (VMAN)
- SolarWinds Storage Resource Monitor (SRM)
- SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor (NPM)
- SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA)
- SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager (NCM)
- SolarWinds IP Address Manager (IPAM)
- SolarWinds VoIP & Network Quality Manager (VNQM)
- SolarWinds Web Performance Monitor (WPM)
- SolarWinds User Device Tracker
|Deployment Types||On-premise, SaaS|
|Operating Systems||Windows, AWS Marketplace app|
DPA is a *tremendous* tool. It provides a deep dive across all critical metrics on our ORA RDS & EC2. I find the table/query advisories to be of great use.
Would deploy across any DB if I could - the info is gold.
- Drill-down into expensive queries.
- Table/Query Advisor.
- Easy to interpret graphing.
- Identifies objects causing bottleneck by real wait time
- Identifies specific section of a large query that needs attention
- Lets you see what index is actually being used
- Helps you see if CPU, RAM or DISK is the limiting resource
- View Plan Details is actually a bit weaker than SSMS because all the lines are the same width
- The "View SQL Text" viewer could be fancier - but it does clearly identify the problem section
- Database performance monitoring.
- Database performance root cause analysis.
- Server performance monitoring.
- Licensing Model can be expensive on a per-instance basis, consider a per-host-based option.
- Limited ability to combine monitoring results for similar groups of servers.
- Different license types for different types of servers (Oracle Enterprise vs Standard).
1. End to End Database Instance Monitoring.
2. Database in Clusters Monitoring such as Availability Group in MS SQL, CDB in Oracle etc
3. If you want detailed monitoring with historical analysis.
4. SQL Statement Deep Dive Analysis for WAIT Time reason, Blockers, Deadlocks etc
Solarwinds DPA is not well suited if you are looking for Detailed VM, OS monitoring where Database is installed.
- Multi Vendor Databases Monitoring
- Agentless Monitoring
- Less Dependency on DB Admins
- Less Resources consumption on target databases
- API based integrations
- Cloud Database Monitoring such as Google native SQL service
- Modern (no SQL ) database monitoring
- Dashboard Flexibility
- Reporting Flexibility
- The product is great at visualizing the data you need for administration and performance tuning, making it understandable in seconds. A database like Oracle has AWR reports - many pages long, all text, hard to read. SQL Server has dynamic management views - good stuff but not so easily accessible. SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer (DPA) lays it out so it is quickly comprehensible and actionable.
- DPA tells us what's really going on. Example: the developer says this stored procedure is running super slowly in this RDBMS but runs like lightning on this other one. They've tried to tune it to no avail. So we spend just a few minutes with DPA investigating the situation and we find that the stored proc is running fine. Instead, it is the application's attempt to access the metadata about the proc that is slow. This led to caching the metadata and now the 'slow' proc is running great! Without DPA it would have been a long time before we got to looking at the right code to tweak.
- It's great that we can use the built-in alerts functionality to create custom alerts. The custom alerts can gather information for the databases we are monitoring or from the data DPA collects which go beyond the database and into other relevant pieces like the OS, storage and the network.
- It's a great product - they do most things right. Maybe I'll say keep working on the UI so I can get to the info I need with even fewer clicks.
- One feature a competitor of DPA has that looks useful is mapping out when jobs are run and being able to map that time-wise against when problems occur.
- Tells you which statements in which stored procedures need work or are catastrophic (if that applies).
- Helps you focus attention on what really needs work, very efficiently.
- The UI gets clunky if you have lots of servers to monitor.
- It doesn't really rank problems across multiple servers.
- Anomaly detection powered by machine learning - new in version 12, greatly love that statistical analysis
- Compare workload versus past on daily basis and total, it really helps us to see big picture of growth and make capacity considerations
- Intuitive performance analysis - easyly examine the problems and find the root cause
- In the last two versions 12.0 and 12.1 SolarWinds has made great enhancements. I do not have a thing that I currently want to be changed. There are some cosmetics in the user interface but do not think that they are problems.
- Analyzing query performance
- Index recommendation
- Wait time categorization and explanation
- Navigation is generally good, but some items can be confusing to find again
- Great Visual Display from Console - at a glance you can tell if there are issues
- Drill down on a single query to get recommendations on tuning the statement
- Automated Notifications, which can be customized / modified
- Live view on Storage I/O
- Resource Monitor is a plus - CPU Utilization - Instance and OS
- Recently addressed - protect the supply chain
- I can't keep up with all the improvements to tell you the truth ... Database Performance Analyzer is Awesome
- Demo Database Performance Analyzer - you will not be let down
- Join THWACK so you get the most out of your product. Great forum to get answers from colleges that may be experiencing the same issue!
- Database alerts
- Quick Analysis of performance for both the database and the server hardware
- Root cause analysis of historic issues
- Suggestions on improving the databases
- Database performance analysis
- Root cause analysis
- Database alerts
- Database job analysis
- Tuning alerts as they are not as critical as they appear to be on the dashboard
- Anomaly Detection.
- Optimizing Database Performance.
- Tuning Advisors and Query Wait Time Improvements.
- Integration with Orion Platform.
- Product Cost is High.
- Anomaly Detection is only available for certain Database attributes (Wait Time).