Reviews (1-5 of 5)
February 11, 2020
Score 10 out of 10
We used Yahoo! Advertising to promote our products, which comprise of online digital software for Music Production. Yahoo! Advertising has helped get our brand out there and using Yahoo! Advertising, as well as Bing and Google, help us set up an online presence.
Read this authenticated review
If you want to have a serious online presence, you might as well get on with Yahoo! Advertising in addition to Google and Bing!
January 14, 2019
Score 9 out of 10
Yahoo! Advertising is used for clients in their online marketing efforts. Google, Bing, and Yahoo - the three major search platforms - offer paid marketing opportunities for businesses to reach target audiences. While Yahoo! is, in volume, behind Google and Bing, it still has hundreds of millions of searches every day and is popularly-interacted with by users across different demographics. Yahoo! Advertising is used across the organization by different departments: media buying/marketing, data and analytics, and account management. Yahoo! Advertising allows for the deployment of paid marketing efforts on the Yahoo! platform and is able to capture a variety of data points and metrics to optimize efforts and understand performance.
- Setup and deployment are similar to the other search platforms, which makes implementation straightforward/approachable.
- Reporting: data export is straightforward and as granular (or high-level) as desired. It exports in a CSV or XLSX file for manipulation and analysis.
- Great ROI: doesn't cost much to start Yahoo! ad campaigns, and they are a great complement to other SEM efforts.
- Yahoo! Advertising tends to lag behind other SEM platforms for more sophisticated advertising options (like display). They are slowly catching up, but don't expect the same high-power analytic capabilities of, say, Google.
- Lower performance and prospective audience (due to search volume). Well-targeted and well-understood audiences help mitigate platform audience limitations, though.
- Revenue tracking and associating conversions/revenue to advertising spend can be complicated to implement and inadequate for full-funnel tracking.
Read Leah Jakaitis's full review
I would recommend Yahoo! Advertising in complement to the other two major SEM engines, Google and Bing. Paid SEM campaigns are the bread-and-butter of the digital marketing landscape. With Yahoo!'s display capabilities emerging, it's finally catching up to the other platforms in terms of sophistication. It integrates readily with marketing management platforms (like Kenshoo), and data export is a breeze. I would not recommend Yahoo! for the first deployment or market-testing phase of SEM, but getting up and running for a moderate budget will cover a clients' bases and ensure the best audience saturation.
March 07, 2018
Score 6 out of 10
Yahoo! Advertising is currently being used to promote our client’s tech products (consumer electronics and home appliances). It is used across the whole organization to solve numerous solutions such as capturing low funnel handraisers in search and increasing reach natively throughly Yahoo’s network.
- Offers extensive solutions to reach a high volume of users and create new reach outside of major networks like Google and Bing.
- Provides unique ways to differentiate advertisers in top positions on search results pages.
- Creates unique tactics to utilize on display networks (carousel and video takeovers).
- The Gemini platform needs to be more selective when pulling reporting and offer data further back than 1 year of performance.
- The Gemini user interface does not do well with displaying unique metrics (impression share results, competitor results, etc).
- Yahoo! Native compatibility with Doubleclick Search needs to improve instead of using dummy keywords to pull in total front end metrics.
Read Alexander Rodriguez's full review
It is well suited for using display advertising across wide range of Yahoo and Oath websites, and less appropriate for acquiring high search volume for limited reach.
March 06, 2018
Score 7 out of 10
We're using Yahoo! Advertising as a lead generation tool for some of our clients. We use Yahoo! Advertising as a supplement to achieve additional results when we are already seeing success on Google AdWords. For the most part, Yahoo! Advertising is straightforward: you set your targeting option and budget, make some ad copy, and you start getting clicks and traffic.
- Cost is lower than AdWords
- Easy to import campaigns from AdWords
- ROI is high
- Traffic volume can be quite low
- The interface is not the best
- Revenue tracking is not the best/easiest to set up for beginners
Read ☕️ Darren Davis's full review
It's great for generating leads, e-commerce sales or makes for a good expansion platform. Cost is also low which allows you to generate leads at a great ROI.
We use Yahoo! Advertising for our artists to allow others to find tour dates or any upcoming events we may have. It allows for fans to be reminded of the events through Yahoo.
Read Ashley Grohoski's full review
Inexpensive and allows our ads to actually be seen by a broad audience
Yahoo! Advertising Scorecard Summary
About Yahoo! Advertising
Yahoo! Advertising, or Yahoo Search Marketing, is Yahoo's search marketing platform for placing advertisements in search results across the Yahoo! Bing Network. It is an old advertising platform, having begun as GoTo.com in the nineties, renamed Overture Services, Inc in 2001, and finally being acquired by Yahoo! in 2003 for $1.63 billion. It is related to Yahoo! Ad Exchange (formerly and as of yet more familiarly known as Right Media, that product's former brand and company), and Yahoo! Gemini, Yahoo!'s mobile marketing and advertising platform. Yahoo! Advertising competes with Adwords, Google's quite similar and more broadly used search marketing platform (though in Asia, it is Yahoo! that holds the upper hand), and generally is used in the same way: to manage bidding advertisements and campaigns.
Categories: Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
Yahoo! Advertising Technical Details