I am a Tegile believer!
March 03, 2018
I am a Tegile believer!
Score 10 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Tegile
The Tegile SANs we have are set up to replicate to each other and the second one is for a BC/DR scenario and is at a different site. They house all of our production VMs. Since they are natively able to communicate over 10GB ethernet and also have 100% read/writes to flash they are very fast and offer great performance improvements.
- Fast writes to and retrieves from the disks.
- Fast ethernet communication and full support for Vmware.
- NFS storage means no LUN rebuilding or painful LUN migrations.
- I would like to see every update to be able to be reached via either partial or full updates. In the past we had progressed to one level of software and then found we could not get to a later version from that level, though they did address that.
We used to have both Nimble and Compellant in the past, and there is no comparison with the Tegile offerings. The Tegiles outperform them in every area and are easier to use.
3 - IT Support- This is a SAN, not software, so the questions here don't really apply- though there is software to configure and setup and troubleshoot etc., the SAN itself- and that software is first rate!
3 - IT guys that understand how and what a SAN is and operates, and when one can or cannot perform certain functions on them.
- Delivering our virtual servers to us 24/7/365
- Containing all the data we use daily
- Replicating to our BC/DR site
- WE were able to convert from a 1GB backbone to a 10GB Backbone because this awesome equipment allows us to migrate with both interfaces at once
- In the future we can expand the sizew of the storage, or expand to 40GB networking, or install at other locations to do Geo-location based VDI computing
Evaluating Tegile and Competitors
Yes - We replaced the Nimble with the Tegile, mostly because at the price range we had available in the budget, Nimbles offerrings did not include 100% read/Writes on flash. The Nimble was over 4 years old and we couldn't trust our production to older hardware.
- Product Features
- Product Usability
The feature set and GUI to use those features is as good as anything in the market. When you look at the web interface it is identical in realtime to what you see in the rack. Super easy to use web tools as well. The health check features alone are usually offerred as an addon by other vendors.
Change management was minimal - Plug it in, migrate the servers, it just works.
Problems get solved
Kept well informed
No escalation required
Immediate help available
Support understands my problem
Support cares about my success
Quick Initial Response
Yes - They are still working on it. We upgradewd to a latest version, then later we went to install our SRM pluging with VMware and it was not supported. When we went to upgrade to the version that is supported, we found there was no direct upgrade path. They are still working on it but we expect a resolution next week.
When we setup our replication the techs got on with us and stayed with us throughout the process, explaining what was being done at every step, and teaching us all about how they do what they do.
It just works, and works very well. The GUI is clean and easy to understand, and the dashboard gives vital information at a glance. It also gives a very comprehensive view of what all the moving parts are doing. It is so clear and matches the view in real life that I can have a non-technical person looking at it and talking to me on the phone and we both see the same things, instantly.
Like to use
Easy to use
Technical support not required
Quick to learn
Feel confident using
- Upgrading the firmware on each backplane is a breeze
- Performing failover from one backplane to another is simple and straightforward through the GUI
- Checking the health, size of data and compression savings are all very clear via the super intuitive Web GUI
- If you had already upgraded to a certain version, they made one mistake- you couldnt upgrade from that particular version to the latest, to take advantage of the SRM plugin with VMWare. They are addressing that issue for us, but it has delayed our SRM project by months.