10+ yrs experience with hundreds of Fireboxes, WatchGuard review
Overall Satisfaction with WatchGuard Network Security
- WatchGuard System Manager and centralized management is the key to low TCO
- Security solution efficacy is critical. A solution that is only 95% effective is not good enough.
- Partner support is good and enables us to be able to deliver quality solutions that are consistently functional
- Partner enablement. WG focuses on the channel as they know that the skill of the integrators is what makes the difference between a default appliance and an effective security solution
- Partner communications on technical issues. For example the undocumented feature of SDWAN hidden route. There is still no documentation on that.
- Too infrequent communications about high incidence technical support issues. We do not want to have to be encountering known issues and then having outages or problems that we then have to put in tickets about.
- Pay attention to your most highly technical partners, not just those that sell a lot of equipment. The highly technical partners can and do provide very usable feedback that can make the products better.
- WG wants partners to build relationships with people inside WG so we can drive solutions to problems, but too frequently, we get no response to emails sent to the proper internal resources about legitimate issues.
- Our business is very WatchGuard-centric and we value our relationship with WatchGuard more than any other manufacturer
- Fireboxes comprise the CORE of everything we do in terms of network layer security. So you literally cannot do a secure environment without a Firebox. Therefore, nearly every single client we have or ever have had has Fireboxes.
- We have been able to consistently prove value by our network layer security techniques we implement on Fireboxes. We are able to have a viable SIEM logging solution and security incident alarm notifications because of Dimension.
- Many of our largest and most valuable customers have come to use through WatchGuard partner finder
- WatchGuard has sometimes very poorly executed aspects of their marketing plans or technologies that have cost us business. For example, they solicited our customers on behalf of competitors repeatedly. WG's wireless technologies were very poorly executed during the controller to wifi cloud transition period for about a couple years. This caused us major problems which caused us to walk away from WG wireless for that time.
WatchGuard Network Security Feature Ratings
Using WatchGuard Network Security
- Fireboxes ARE the network
- Fireboxes provide all the hardcore network layer security we need
- WatchGuard technologies represent a comprehensive ecosystem for network layer security, visibility, awareness and monitoring
- We were one of the first organizations to use autoblocking technologies. We have been using that innovation successfully since 2009.
- We are one of the only WatchGuard partners in the entire world that successfully uses Fireboxes for hardened network layer security microsegmentation and intra-VLAN packet inspection which creates a network security layer at the endpoint level
- We use real time alerting for all network layer security type issues that we think we should know about in real time. As such, we can offer clients a security operations center type of service.
- We review all network security reports for all client sites weekly and are able to identify trends, areas for further investigation, or areas of configuration changing
- For any prospects that contact us, we will use WatchGuard solutions to provide them the most security effective and cost effective cybersecurity kill chain solutions available in the SMB space.
- We plan on using DNSWatchGo and the Access Portal technologies more.
- We plan on using WatchGuard's MFA solution AuthPoint more than we are using it now.
- We also think that WatchGuard has worked out the bugs in their Wifi Cloud solution and it is now a mature product worth adopting.
Evaluating WatchGuard Network Security and Competitors
- Product Features
- Product Usability
WatchGuard Network Security Implementation
- Third-party professional services
I do not believe that in-house IT for any organization of less than 5000 employees would ever have the adequate network security architecture and engineering skill to properly implement core network security strategies. Companies should be looking to partner with a qualified WatchGuard partner for their needs.
- Educating users and executive management that network layer security is an absolute necessity
- Educating users and executive management that whitelisting websites that they want to access is not only unnecessary but an incorrect security approach
- Educating users and executive management that the Firebox and our security is not the problem. In many cases, the website developers of websites that they access are not maintaining secure website hosting or they are simply utilizing insecure methodologies. And that is the true source of the issues.
WatchGuard Network Security Training
WatchGuard Network Security Support
As a network
security architect, it is my job to design NIST SP-800 cybersecurity framework
hardened network layer security solutions. These strategies are combined with a
comprehensive cybersecurity kill chain plan inclusive of email, network, phone,
printer, cloud, server, and endpoint layered defense strategies.
As part of the
design decision, technologies that consistently have extremely high efficacy
while having a low TCO are absolutely essential for this solution to be
manageable, effective, and affordable. WatchGuard has been our choice for
network layer protection for more than 10 years. We also use their endpoint
protection agent technologies and authentication solutions.
In doing so, we have
been able to deliver high levels of security effectiveness at an affordable
price to organizations ranging from one user to 500 users.
Problems get solved
Kept well informed
Immediate help available
Support understands my problem
Support cares about my success
Quick Initial Response
As long as we are asking questions of WatchGuard partner support that is within the scope of what is appropriate to ask them about, we are always able to have more than adequately sophisticated conversations about whatever the technical problem is. This results in problems being solved.
Literally, in 25 years of being in the IT industry, I have not had this experience with any other manufacturer of software or hardware.
Using WatchGuard Network Security
Like to use
Easy to use
Technical support not required
Feel confident using
- Firebox System Manager and Firebox Policy Manager are the essence of effective troubleshooting, monitoring, configuration auditing, and configuration management. 98% of breaches occur due to a misconfiguration. Firebox Policy Manager, in the hands of a skilled network security architect can reveal network layer security misconfigurations faster than any other solution on the market. As such, it also eliminates network layer security misconfigurations.
- Dimension is an excellent visibility product
- WatchGuard's network discovery product is extremely helpful and easy to use
- There are areas of Policy Manager where no import/export or reordering function is available. This feature has been requested for years, but WatchGuard has not invested effort into improving Policy Manager. They are trying to move to WatchGuard Cloud. Unless they provide feature parity at least, then WatchGuard Cloud will never be able to replace WSM.