Carbonite Endpoint 360 Reviews

Derek Schroeder | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 14, 2020

Carbonite Endpoint 360: comprehensively extending retention and backup of Office 365

Carbonite Endpoint 360 is a great solution to extend the built-in 30 day backup of Office 365 and the system as a whole. It works well with Exchange Online as well as SharePoint, Teams, and OneDrive. It works as a solution for granular restoration as well as entire system restoration. The backup system is automatic and very easy to manage.
  • Very easy to setup and manage, does not take a tech expert.
  • Automated backups that do not take much management.
  • Easy restoration, several clicks to setup files to restore.
  • Restoration process is very slow overall.
  • User interface is a bit clunky, not counter-intuitive but could be streamlined a bit better.
  • Many products in this field to compare features and prices.
Carbonite Endpoint 360 is a great solution for any organization with compliance needs. Office 365 defaults to a 30 day backup of all data. Carbonite Endpoint 360 extends this well beyond 30 days and provides an all-inclusive source for retention for data in Office 365. Any small to medium business would greatly benefit from this solution as they can design their entire infrastructure in Office 365 and ensure it's all backed up.
Read Derek Schroeder's full review
John Watson | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 17, 2020

Continuous Backup in the Background Reducing Risk

Carbonite is our company-wide cloud back-up system. As we are a growing SME more and more tools like this are being implemented, not all of them make sense, but this one does. It works quietly in the background backing up files continuously...it doesn't get in the way and requires no actions by the user once the IT department have uploaded it to your computer. It was not so long ago somebody had to go each day to the server room and make a daily backup on tape....this is quite an upgrade which ultimately pays for itself in the end with time saved and risk reduced.
  • The user has to do nothing other than switch on their PC/laptop occasionally.
  • Reminders sent to switch on a device so a backup can be made if the device hasn't been used for a while.
  • There really are no issues with this software.
Working in an SME, it is one of the most vital tools we have....we absolutely cannot afford to lose data. This would be a disaster. As staff are dispersed across Europe and the EU we end up travelling with laptops regularly with all the dangers of hacking, damage and losing equipment. An efficient cloud-based back-up system makes absolute sense.
Read John Watson's full review
February 14, 2020

Carbonite is well worth the money!

It is used across the entire organization. We have purchased new computers and with Carbonite Endpoint 360, we have been able to backup and move all the files entirely and very quickly. Also, one employee had their computer wiped and had to reinstall everything. With Carbonite we were able to install everything easily.
  • Constant backup.
  • It backs up on your schedule.
  • Reminding to back up more often if a lot of work has been done between backups.
  • Sometimes the backing up slows down the computer.
It is suited for all computers, especially if most of your work details are kept in computer files and not printed out. I have less stress knowing that all my Excel spreadsheets are easily backed up and if my computer is lost or breaks I will be able to upload all the spreadsheets to a new computer.
This might be less appropriate for a personal computer unless you operate a business personally.
Todd Frazier | TrustRadius Reviewer

Best bang for your buck

We implemented this backup solution and had 1.5TB of data to be backed up and we are now on week 6 of still sending data to the cloud. Hopefully, it will be completed within the next two weeks so if you have a large amount of data on a normal GB network expect two months to get all your data upload unless you spend the additional money to procure their appliance that you have to install on your network. This will definitely speed up your upload process but is an additional cost and device you have to manage. Once our backup of the data completes to the cloud incremental backups will be sent up which will not be as time-consuming.
  • Installation was pretty straight forward Carbonite Tech was a big help in rolling out the install.
  • Secure and encrypted backups sent to the cloud.
  • Tech support is very good and they are willing to assist with your issues you may have big or small.
  • To be honest not so impressed with the amount of time it has taken to get data backed up to the cloud.
  • I have not had to do a restore at this time so I cannot comment on the restore process.
  • I was not aware at time of procurement that the upload process would take so long since we were not procuring their hardware. Sales rep mad it seem like upload would only take a day or two and we are now starting week 7 hoping to be done by week 8 for 1.5 TBs of data.
If you do not have someone in IT on-site to maintain your daily backups this is a good solution to give you peace of mind that your data is protected. Once your data is uploaded incremental backups are sent up on a daily schedule to the cloud. If you are a large organization with an IT staff this would be an okay secondary solution in addition to using something like Unitrends or Nimble Storage for onsite daily backups.
Read Todd Frazier's full review
October 04, 2019

Reliable backup for your important data

This is my primary back up software. There is a lot of critical data on my laptop that I just cannot afford to lose in case of a hardware failure. I also used Google Drive for backup but I felt that it was not really the optimal solution for multiple reasons (specific automation being the primary one). Carbonite works better because you can automate it to suit your specific requirements. Currently, I have it creating incremental backups at a regular interval to the cloud. It is almost a fire-and forget solution. You set it up once to make automatic backups and after that, it runs quietly in the background without needing constant supervision.
  • Works great in the background without affecting your PC or network performance.
  • Tons of options to customize your backups. You can fine-tune it to run just the way you need it to.
  • It doesn't require constant maintenance or supervision. You set it up and deploy it once, afterward you only interact with it if it is having problems or if you need to change your back up method.
  • Really great support. We had to contact them a few times and every time the person on the other side was very helpful and polite.
  • Restoring takes forever. I have only had to recover a back up once but it took a long while to download it all back.
  • Subscription seems to force annual packages on you. You are locked in for a year no matter what happens. As far as I can tell there was no monthly/pay as you go set up.
  • It had issues updating a few times. That is when we had to contact support and it took a while to resolve (even though their support is terrific).
If you have critical data on your machine/network then you should not be relying on Google Drive or OneDrive. You need a solution that will automate and run backups in a timely manner. For that, I can easily recommend Carbonite. However, the one caveat being that you will be locked into an annual contract. However if the important date on your PC only consists of documents then I think just having them sync to your Gdrive should be enough.
October 04, 2019

Carbonite Endpoint : Convenient Data Integrity, Privacy Cost?

Carbonite Endpoint is currently being used to protect key users critical to business continuity. We are utilizing the remote backup, global de-duplication and remote wipe, and device tracking features. As we evaluate its effectiveness in our business, we are looking to roll it out to our entire user base. However, our initial pilot has been quite positive, enabling us to easily recover seemingly lost files for frustrated users. We have yet to exercise some of the other features but expect to do so before we conclude our pilot.
  • Protected file restoration: Users love having confidence that their files are being backed up remotely with no action required on their part.
  • Device tracking: While we've only enabled this feature for a small set of key personnel, this feature is useful in helping to determine if a given asset is lost, and works across mobile device platforms - unlike in-built solutions for individual users.
  • Management console: The management console is clearly organized and easy to work with. Setting up groups and policies is logical and hierarchical, and makes managment tasks easy.
  • Privacy: This isn't inherently a con of Carbonite Endpoint itself, but during our pilot phase, some participants are concerned about the company's ability to track them via their company-issued devices at all times. We need to figure out a measured response to this, but we'll likely use Carbonite Endpoint's policies by group in order to only enable this feature for key individuals.
  • Selective Sync Time: Some users reported slow remote connections when using mobile devices in areas with poor signal coverage, resulting in unusable remote connections while backing up. We'd like the on-device intelligence to be better to disable syncing during poor signal coverage to maintain connection usability for user-centric tasks.
  • Public cloud storage options: Ideally, we'd like to see more public cloud storage support. While Carbonite Endpoint supports the big players, we may look to move away from S3 to other smaller players in the public cloud space, but have yet to make final decisions based on compatibility with a number of cloud enabled applications.
Carbonite Endpoint is well suited for managing mobile business assets where remote backup, recovery, and remote wipe are all relevant business scenarios. During our pilot program with Carbonite Endpoint, we had a couple of users who engaged our support organization for remote recovery. Users were thrilled with the experience, as they assumed that files that had been inadvertently deleted had been preserved at a recent copy, so little to no work was lost.

As I highlighted earlier, one of the concerns that users presented during the trial was one of privacy - that remote device tracking made it possible for the company to track them outside of the office. Ideally, we'd like to have a way for users to clearly see whether this feature is enabled and/or active on their endpoint, in order to instill confidence, but we've yet to see that functionality.
October 02, 2019

Carbonite Endpoint Review

Carbonite Endpoint is being used on 3 specific departments where data protection is essential due to the fact end users work remotely and where other solutions we have in place fail to do what we need.
  • Always accurate.
  • Clean and intuitive UI.
  • Never missed a restore.
  • Support.
  • Billing options.
Carbonite Endpoint is not suitable if you are looking for a centralized backup solution or for large environments when you need to manage a large number of users. Carbonite is well suited for small to medium-sized businesses that are looking for a cost-effective, extremely reliable data backup application.
July 27, 2019

Carbonite Rocks for Fast & Easy Backups!

We use Carbonite for backing up executive and other key user workstations. We previously used it for backing up server data and system states on the servers. It now provides us with very fast recovery if an upper management laptop hard drive crashes.
  • Automatically backing up local files on the workstation. The auto-sync feature works very well and requires basically no interaction from the user.
  • Recovering a single file (or folder of files) is easy and can be done by the end-user without IT support.
  • Being able to easily pause the backup during heavy loads or installations on the user computer is easy to do and very handy.
  • Honestly, I see no areas where this platform can be improved. I give it an A+ for ease of use and stability. It's robust and feature-rich as it is.
Backing up workstations and servers is easy to configure and works flawlessly. It may not work as well with SQL databases and/or cloud services, both of which I have not tested.
Namrata D | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 02, 2019

Excellent "fire and forget" backup tool.

We have been using this as our primary data backup software for a while now. We initially started with a short trial and were really impressed. It is really easy to automate your backups and that is what we are doing. It was also really easy to set up and deploy. Our initial worries were that it would be too complicated to automate it, but their interface was really simple and it selected the most common default options (which worked perfectly for us) by itself. We started initially with the primary (most critical) data on a single computer and since then we have moved all of our PC's under the cloud.

The few occasions we had to contact their support team, we had a really great experience with them. They were knowledgeable and were able to resolve our problem pretty quickly.
  • It is excellent at automating your backups. You don't need to manually do it, just set it up once and let it run in the background.
  • It's pretty simple to set up and use. It will automatically suggest the best options that work for most people and you can be up and running pretty quickly.
  • It's safe and reliable. We have been using it for a couple of years now and had no major issues.
  • Their phone support is excellent.
  • It's also really easy to maintain your backed up data to reduce redundancy.
  • Their pricing could be a lot more flexible. I would have liked more options than just annual billing.
  • Backing up can take time. I am not sure if that is because further optimization is needed at my end or it's just a general thing. It's not a major problem though.
It's really great if you have a small or medium-sized business like ours. You can choose the number of computers you want to back up and pay per computer. And since it's pretty easy to set up and deploy, you don't need a dedicated IT guy to do it for you. On the other hand, if most of your data is already in the cloud (like Google Docs or Google Sheets) and you don't have any other critical data then you can get by without it.
Read Namrata D's full review
Troy Alcorn | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 15, 2019

Don't go without Carbonite

Carbonite backs up all my personal and business data. This is a disaster recovery measure. Multiple local backups protect from day-to-day data loss.
  • They keep versions of data. If files change, they store the old version with the new. This is a great way to protect against encryption viruses and deleted data.
  • Backup is seamless. As files are changed or saved, they are immediately added to the upload and saved to Carbonite servers.
  • Files are easily identified as backed up or not. Customers can easily add/remove files from carbonite with the context menu (right-click).
  • Upload/recovery is time-consuming. Not much you can do for that, but if you need to recover data, it may take a while.
Carbonite is well suited for anyone that wants an off-site backup. Small businesses are especially vulnerable to being put out of business if data is lost and this will keep that from happening.
Read Troy Alcorn's full review
Ruby Javaid | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 29, 2019

Basic backup service but little customization for file types

I use Carbonite to back up all of my files and data on my business computer. Previously, I had been using Mozy which I LOVED, and Mozy was recently acquired by Carbonite, so I am now using that. Backups have saved my business from losing all of its data at least once before when I had a complete hard drive failure. And it's made moving my data from one computer to another a breeze as well.
  • You know what's being backed up by the status dots that appear on each icon. Green means the item is backed up and yellow means the item is in the queue to be backed up. No dot means that the item will not be backed up. This lets me know very quickly what's safe
  • Unlimited backup: the plan that I have offers me an unlimited amount of storage so that I do not have to pay more each time my files outgrew available space
  • Incremental backup: each file is continuously being backed up so that the minute there are changes, Carbonite puts it in the queue
  • Carbonite indicates which files are being backed up by its dot system so that you can easily backup a single file that you don't see the dot on by selecting that option from the file's context menu. But there is no place for me to go to select entire folders or data sets so that it will back up everything in that folder, regardless of file type. Carbonite automatically backs up a majority of files types by default but does not take into consideration specialized file types like font files. These files are very important for a designer like myself and I can't afford to lose my fonts. But I also don't want to have to select the option to back them up one by one. I have over 1,000 of them! So there is definite room for improvement here.
  • The cost is significantly more than what I paid for Mozy, almost double. For the first year, they are giving old Mozy users a deal comparable to Mozy's pricing, but after that my pricing will be almost double what I used to pay.
The biggest issue for me is the inability to select complete folders or data sets for backup. The backup is simple and easy to use, but until I can be sure that everything I want is being backed up, I can't really recommend this solution wholeheartedly. The online dashboard is lacking these options as well as the desktop application.
Read Ruby Javaid's full review
Sunery Yang | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 26, 2018

Carbonite Realtime Replication Solution

Carbonite is a powerful migration and replication solution that really help my partners to help their customers. Carbonite provides an end-to-end data protection and synchronizes real-time with zero data loss and fewer downtimes.
  • Real-Time Replication
  • OS Replication that consists of a database, storage, application and data
  • One Too Many Licensing schemes. One License (physical/virtual) can be replicated into multiple targets
  • Competitive Pricing
  • Pro Active Carbonite Vendors in terms of support
  • Needs to be identical from both side of DC and DRC, but it doesn't affect us too much
Carbonite High Availability is very good to be used in Banking Financial Industry where it's core banking needs less downtime and also a standby DRC with the same value of data from the DC. The transaction flow can be saved by Carbonite when something happens with the DC.
Read Sunery Yang's full review
Nathan Venno | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 14, 2017

Decent backup but keep an eye on it

Carbonite was used here to backup servers and a few C-Level individuals. I needed a backup solution that was simple, easy to use and deploy and provided a comprehensive dashboard that allowed me to see my environment. This did all those things and worked pretty well. I would not use it again as it's alerting system left something to be desired.
  • Install and config is simple.
  • Backups run pretty much on their own once installed - without user intervention.
  • Restore is relatively easy to manage with only a little training needed (for me).
  • This is a pretty fire and forget tool.
  • Alerting was very terrible - alerts would come late or not at all with regard to backups.
  • The local then cloud backup can suck up a good chunk of space.
  • The restore process, while simple once learned, does take some training to understand.
One of the few wholly online backup solution that provides and appliance-free backup (they do have that option as well). It does backup well - once running it really does what it needs to do with little need for intervention. Add/removing folders is simple. It offers an app that allows you to see your backups in pretty-near real time (if you are that obsessed).
Read Nathan Venno's full review
Rob Rotundo | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 18, 2017

Carbonite - Go To Backup for Small Non-Domain Businesses

Carbonite is a cheaper alternative for smaller businesses who may not be in a domain environment and want to backup data offsite. It's nice to know there are cheaper options. It's fairly stable and support for it is good. Most places implement it on a particular PC, and not company wide. Perhaps a PC that has critical data on it. This is where it comes into play for a smaller business.
  • Backs up offsite with unlimited data
  • Support is good
  • It's cheap
  • Would like to see an easier restore process
  • Would like to see an option for better management of a company rather than having individual computers in the list
  • Would like to see a better management console for IT providers
Carbonite is good for smaller businesses which don't have a domain environment with redirected profiles. If there is a computer running something like Quickbooks, that data is critical, and Carbonite is an easy way to ensure the data is backed up offsite in case of a disaster.

It's not as good for a larger domain environment. Restores and management would be cumbersome.
Read Rob Rotundo's full review
Mahmoud Dahy | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 05, 2017

Carbonite is great for backups

I use Carbonite for work these days. My company has been using Carbonite to backup our files for the past four years. Carbonite has been a lifesaver for many of our employees who have lost their files. I recently upgraded my hard drive and wanted a clean copy of my files so I asked Carbonite to send me a hard drive with all my files. The process was smooth and straightforward.
  • Backup in the background.
  • The ability to access files anywhere including mobile devices.
  • The ability to get all your files on a hard drive so you don't have to wait to download all your files.
  • The ability to backup mobile device data.
  • The ability to manage teams online.
  • It works well with high speed Internet.
  • Speed. Carbonite is slow at backup and retrieve. It would be nice to backup files without having to wait for days.
  • Better user interface for their desktop application and web based.
  • Integrating with third party applications like Microsoft Office 360.
Carbonite is great at providing backup at very low price for individual use. If you have a team of many employees who have so much data, it can cost a lot to backup everyone as Carbonite cost is based on how much storage team needs.
Read Mahmoud Dahy's full review
Robb Glietz | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 15, 2017

Carbonite for the win for multi reasons

The primary use of Carbonite is to back up our Database; Carbonite grabs the data from our SQL Database then puts it on a NAS device and then during the middle of the night it grabs that data and fires it off to the Carbonite cloud for storage.
The second use is we have several computers in remote locations that we back up on a constant basis.
  • Doing multi schedules to pull for multi-databases.
  • Backing up data to multi devices on a schedule.
  • Using the same dashboard to check on computer backups at remote locations.
  • Emails don't always come out when they should; sometimes it is several hours later.
  • When a critical error occurs emails will sometimes not show up and you have to log in to see what happened.
  • Better error handling when it comes to when the application thinks there are multi backups.
Can set it up to pull from multi data sources at various hours and place it on different media at different times with just a few mouse clicks, user-friendly. Able to check on computer backups and to get emails from Carbonite about computers that have not been backed up in some time.
Read Robb Glietz's full review
Nathanial Holt | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 31, 2017

Carbonite for peace of mind

We use Carbonite to keep our computers backed up so we never have to worry about anything we are working on for clients. We try to keep as many backups as possible and it's reassuring that it's backed up off-site.
  • Peace of mind
  • Easy setup
  • Lower cost
  • Faster backup speed
I think it works best as a way to keep your system backed up. I'm never afraid Im going to lose anything.
Read Nathanial Holt's full review
Sean Ursulo | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 28, 2016

My honest review of Carbonite for Business

We use carbonite for our mobile employees that are out of the office often or are working remotely. Because they are not in the office during regular onsite backup hours, we use Carbonite to backup their systems to ensure we do not lose any of the critical data that our employees are storing locally.
  • Manages backups of files in real-time. Any time there is an addition, deletion or modification of files, the software backs it up immediately.
  • Web interface makes it very easy to see current storage, users and settings so all necessary modifications can be done anywhere with an internet connection.
  • Mobile applications are available so users can access their important files from cellular phones if needed.
  • I would like to see a business management application for Android.
  • As an administrator, it may be nice to browse the member files from an application without having to sign in as the user.
  • It would be nice to be able to archive old files on a local computer easily.
Carbonite is best suited for laptops and remote users that do not have a stable connection for onsite backups. This solution has worked perfectly to ensure I do not lose any data even if my computer is destroyed, lost, or stolen. It is a bit costly (storage-wise) if considered to be used locally or when onsite backups are an option.
Read Sean Ursulo's full review
Tina Cline | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 23, 2016

Carbonite great cloud storage

Carbonite is a great way to make sure your backups are done for your personal or business environment. Cloud storage assures you the data is available for disaster recovery.
  • Offsite cloud storage
  • Inexpensive
  • Easy to set up and use
  • Updates that won't break install
  • Custom retention ability
  • Account management
  • Faster notification of failed backups
Carbonite is making strides on the business needs but is not quite perfected for servers and enterprise. For simple small business or home backup needs, it is a good product.
Read Tina Cline's full review
Anthony Shane | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 23, 2016

Carbonite from a Consultant's perspective.

I'm an IT consultant and use Carbonite for many different companies. It's being used for entire companies and used for file-level backups.
  • Provides a simple way to start backing up immediately.
  • Gives a great graphical indication that files are backed up without having to go into the application. This is represented by a green or red dot over the file icon.
  • Provides a simple way for users to restore data without asking IT.
  • Pricing could be more competitive with the current market.
  • Email notifications are not as in-depth as I'd like them to be.
While Carbonite is well suited for business and home use, it's definitely a better solution for home users. It's quick and easy, and doesn't require an IT department to manage it.
Read Anthony Shane's full review
December 22, 2017

Carbonite Review

We are a reseller of Carbonite. It is an easy to use a cost-effective product to backup your data. For a user wanting to back up their personal data, it is a great fit. Restoration is straightforward and quick (depending on download speed). We do not recommend this for business-critical data or system state, SQL databases or Exchange.
  • Backs up local files to the cloud
  • Easy to access/restore files when/if misplaced or deleted
  • Inexpensive
  • I do not recommend this for critical business data (only personal use).
  • Cloud only backup option could take a VERY long time to restore (depending on your bandwidth).
  • Retention in the cloud limited to only 30 days.
Carbonite is a good solution for a stand-alone PC, a home PC or a laptop that leaves the office and has data on it. Definitely not an enterprise solution, even though they do provide higher-end packages, I would not recommend it to a client. I also question to call this a disaster recovery solution as it's retention is only 30 days.
April 05, 2017

Peace of Mind from Carbonite

Many employees use it to ensure that we won't lose data during a computer crash. It is also helpful to be able to access our backed up files remotely (i.e. from my phone.)
  • Back up files
  • Provide remote access
  • Consistency
  • Option for backing up large video files
  • Ease of restoring files
  • Better mobile app
It is amazing to help provide peace of mind. Most computers will crash at some point, and having Carbonite lets you know you're protected.
September 19, 2016

Carbonite

Carbonite is being used by remote users and those in small offices for data backups and to increase data accessibility. This allows us to switch out the hardware they use without worrying about data loss.
  • Simplicity. The intuitive design allows even the least tech savvy users to back up and retrieve data with little help desk intervention.
  • Our users are backing up potentially confidential files. Carbonates security let's us do this with confidence it will not be disseminated.
  • Mobile accessibility is also key to our usage of Carbonite. The ability to access files across several pcs allows us to share data easily.
  • No ability to back up network drives.
For small offices or small businesses Carbonite is a good choice.

About Carbonite Endpoint 360

Carbonite Endpoint 360 provides an enterprise-grade backup solution for all endpoints, including mobile devices or devices spread across a distributed enterprise network.