Swiftpage Act! Reviews

Mary Westheimer | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 04, 2020

ACT! Helps you keep your act and business together

I use ACT! to manage the business and marketing side of Kevin Caron Studios. It is pivotal in keeping communications organized between the company and potential and existing patrons, vendors, and colleagues. It helps me keep track of sales leads and serves as a repository of history—it's very helpful to be able to refer to something that happened in the past. Additionally, we use it for direct mail marketing.
  • Organize data
  • Reminders about appointments and actions.
  • Preserve and easily retrieve history.
  • I'd like a cleaner interface between Gmail and ACT! without having to have all emails included in ACT!
  • I'd like "fuzzier" search. If I search for Mary it could also return Marie, much like the big search engines do.
  • I'd like more flexibility in name handling.
ACT! handles lots of data well, although its search function could be a little more flexible. It has, thus far, been bullet-proof as far as errors and backup (knock on wood). It isn't used to dealing with contacts that are 2 people (couples) with different last names, something specific to our business.
I'm very impressed with ACT! support. The support team is very knowledgeable and patient. They stick with me until a problem is solved, then often follow up with text, links, or a tutorial that elaborates on the issue and resolution. There is little to no wait time, which I really appreciate. When I have a problem (which I don't often), they answer quickly.
Read Mary Westheimer's full review
October 24, 2020

Poor tech support makes ACT! virtually unusable without internal IT support.

We have two users. Used to capture details of customers and prospects and as a marketing tool. We use ACT! to email our customer base with special offers, new products etc.
  • Bulk email
  • Not intuitive to use. I will have to contact support for help if I haven't used some functions in a while.
  • It's near impossible to delete duplicates as they have to be deleted individually. This is a problem if you have more than 5000 contacts.
  • Reporting is difficult.
I only use it to bulk email my customer base and it does this OK.
Support used to be good. ACT! is a complicated program and will fall over following MS Windows update, etc. It seems that this support has been withdrawn, rendering the software all but unusable unless you have decent IT skills.
Thomas Nelson | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 07, 2020

Swiftpage ACT! works well...support not so much.

We use Swiftpage ACT! across the entire organization to keep metrics on everything from client attendance to how long it takes us to get back to a client seeking information. We track what information was requested, when and how we responded. Swiftpage ACT! does a great job of taking the raw data and converting it to meaningful reports.
  • Data Analysis. ACT! does a good job of allowing us to create meaningful reports.
  • Keeping track of communication. ACT! integrates with Outlook to record all client communication by e-mail.
  • Custom dashboards. We have created custom data entry pages that simplify what we are trying to collect.
  • Customer support leaves a lot to be desired. Too often the answer is you can buy this other product that has the functionality that we had before.
  • Error reports are not easy to comprehend. Sending out an e-mail blast errors out if the size of the email is over about 2 MB. This is fine but there is no error message at all. It just doesn't send.
  • The price is pretty high for a non-profit such as ourselves.
Swiftpage ACT! has been well suited for us as a medical provider for kids with Autism. The custom dashboards allow us to quickly enter the data we are tracking while hiding fields that will either be collected later or are not collected at all. The e-mail capture and logging keep track of how often, how fast, and what we are communicating with our clients.
Support is rarely willing to teach you how to fix things yourself. And sometimes the answer is simply, we have a paid product that will do what you are seeking to accomplish, even though the product has supported mass mailings for the last five years.
Read Thomas Nelson's full review
John Hamel | TrustRadius Reviewer

Swiftpage ACT! Review

Currently, we use Swiftpage ACT! for sales development and current client processes. It eventually will be used across the whole organization. We are using it to keep track of prospects and clients' conversations, notes, and follow-ups. We also use it to house our buyers' lists.
  • Contact management is a very significant help
  • Ease of use and simplicity are the building blocks of Swiftpage ACT!. I have always found it easy to work with and understand when looking to use another feature...at least most of the time.
  • I really like the alert feature to keep track of necessary activities for each day.
  • The easy of viewing the past notes and history is a lot easier than many of the other bigger ticket CRMs.
  • I would probably use the phone app more if I remembered to always update the database to the web. I mostly use the desktop version.
  • I wish it was a little easier to update the options for repeating activity names while inputting a note or history.
I would say that if you are looking to sales prospecting or staying in touch with existing clients then Swiftpage ACT! would be extremely suited for the job. It's simple to use and easy to get the information you need quickly.

However, I'm not sure that it would be your go-to if you had a huge organization and needed to implement operational tasks across the organization. Most of those type of situations need a lot more customization.

But for the small to mid-size companies, I think it is a very well suited option.
I had an issue on setting up the link between Outlook and ACT!, I scheduled a time and support just jumped on our computers and fixed it all. I have not had any issues since.
Read John Hamel's full review
Emily Claridge | TrustRadius Reviewer

Swiftpage ACT! Review

Swiftpage ACT! is used by my direct team of four people--we share one database. We use it for organizing and tracking prospects and leads for the team. It addresses the problem of storing and organizing information and allowing multiple people to update records and add notes to one item. We use the web-based version of Swiftpage ACT! so we can all be signed in at one time.
  • Simple, easy to use
  • Can customize fields, not overwhelming to look at
  • Easy to act as admin and customize users, give team members access
  • Reports, usually just download the Excel file and customize it. Could create some more attractive printable reports.
  • System crashes once in a while--can work on performance
  • Like the new look but can still be a bit clunky when searching lists.
Swiftpage ACT! is a great tool to use with a smaller group of people. It is simple, easy to customize, and a great CRM for prospecting. We like the calendar functions and how easy it is to download all data in Excel. I would reconsider using it for a larger scale company, where there are a lot more teams and users to handle.
Very helpful, walked us through the platform as we got transferred onto the system. I am always able to email our Swiftpage ACT! contact and ask questions. I have also been able to use the chat function to message questions with IT. Very helpful and available for questions from the team. Positive experience!
Read Emily Claridge's full review
Meredith Barnes | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 30, 2020

Try Elsewhere

We use Swiftpage ACT! across our Sales and Marketing teams to track our communications with prospects, current customers, and outside Reps. We also use it to build our list for email marketing. Sales tracks opportunities and calls and utilizes Swiftpage ACT! to ensure they are up to date on communication with customers in case an employee is out of the office.
  • Dynamic groups
  • Ability to assign tasks for others
  • Ability to customize layout
  • Simplify UX--there are too many ways to do the same operation
  • Clunky at times and there are much better tools for tracking the whole sales cycle
  • Integration with other software breaks easily and has to be established.
It would depend on the organization, size of the colleague, and what version of ACT! they were utilizing. I would not recommend Swiftpage ACT! in a situation where you are trying to automate tracking the sales cycle or automate communication. It is a good tool for recording the basics. I like to think of it as an enhanced Excell that is collaborative. Not as sophisticated as something like Salesforce.
Very difficult to work with. Communication barriers, lengthy wait times, typically have to complete multiple calls to get a resolution. The customer support representatives often have to bring in a supervisor because they are not equipped with the knowledge needed to assist you with your error. One of the most frustrating customer service experiences I have had on an ongoing basis.
Read Meredith Barnes's full review
Daren Anderson, MSIS | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 16, 2020

ACT! Review for all

I have used ACT! in a number of different companies and situations - mostly as a sales database tool. The program was easily put into place and then most of the regular reports are used but if there was something specific the users needed, we created new reports, which was also easy to do. I have many years of database experience which helps but you really dont need a degree to use the product
  • Easy to install
  • Easy to modify
  • One issue we had was when we upgraded we had to rename all our computers because of some glitch in the install.
  • I would like to see them continue the desktop version as I have some customers that don't want to go online.
  • Cost is always a factor with anything.
If you are looking for a product that will probably fit your sales cycle right out of the box, then I would recommend ACT! Even if you have some specific things you are looking for, the program is pretty easy to modify, not only for the tables where you input the items, but also on the reporting side. When working with many different clients, everyone may need something just a little different and with ACT! you can make those changes.
At first, it was hard to get assistance on ACT! as you had to go through a community forum without paying a lot more for support, from what I can remember. The two latest versions we bought from a third party and their support team was very thorough and helped us thru issues we had with the setup.
Read Daren Anderson, MSIS's full review

Experience with Swiftpage ACT! frustrating, disappointing

We use Swiftpage ACT! as our contact database to manage our communications with our membership, allied industries, government entities, and product users. We have 2,500 contacts in Swiftpage ACT! and we use it for tracking various subgroups within our organization and in sending emails. Our membership contacts are grouped by individual company, membership status, and what specific committees and work groups they participate in.
  • Can quickly search for an individual or company contact
  • Can gather broad amount of information about each contact
  • Can easily create emails to reach out to specific groups
  • Creating reports or creating searches for specific fields is not intuitive.
  • Email marketing add-on service is far from user friendly and outdated in flexibility for creating useful emails.
  • Installing updates creates issues, even though Swiftpage ACT! functioned properly before the update.
  • Figuring out how best to organize contacts into specific, searchable groups requires expert assistance and is not intuitive.
  • Support from Swiftpage ACT! is marginal at best; we rely on outside consultant instead, for an extra cost.
We have not been happy in using Swiftpage ACT! and are looking for an alternative. It has become very expensive, yet returns little value for our investment. Our use of Swiftpage ACT! is for pretty basic functions--sending to a specific group, organizing people into committees, etc., yet trying to create a special search for certain contact fields is really difficult.
Following a few interactions with support staff over the phone where we failed to correct the issues we were calling about, we ended up going back to the consultant who we purchased the software through and continued to use her for support rather than call Swiftpage ACT! directly. Our consultant was much more helpful in finding and correcting our issues.
May 07, 2020

Don't fail to ACT! Swiftpage ACT! won't fail you!

I use Swiftpage ACT! to manage my contacts. They are grouped by type of customer, and I keep ongoing notes and updated documents on each of their records.
  • Keeping track of up to date contact information
  • Allowing me to create useful contact documents easily
  • Save copies of all orders and next action tasks for each contact
  • Easier mobile application would be nice
Swiftpage ACT! is well suited for general contact management and information storage.
I have always had responsive and helpful support.
April 19, 2020

Swiftpage ACT! Review

All contacts--phone and email--go in Swiftpage ACT! I have 24,000 entries with a very small insurance agency.
  • Letters to any contact
  • Lookup by any part of a name
  • Organizing customers and non-customers
  • Customer service
  • If you cannot figure it out yourself, do not use a feature!
Swiftpage ACT! is okay for finding and searching contacts. I have 25,000 and have used this program since 1998.
Unsupportive for updating, moving, or sharing databases.
April 16, 2020

ACT! is not current with the times

We were using ACT! as a CRM for 10+ years. When I joined the organization, I saw that ACT! hadn't developed much as a CRM, and having used other CRMs advised we make a change.
  • CRM
  • Contact Tracking
  • Task Tracking
  • Deals/Opportunity tracking
  • Data
  • Email integration
It is a perfect CRM for a very small sales team or business, maybe a single user. Any company with multiple, high functioning sales people - should look elsewhere.
They did try to make updates for our company, but those updates fell short.
Terry Kungel | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 21, 2019

RUN, Do not walk away from Swiftpage ACT!

We have used ACT! initially for a business then for several non-profit organizations. When we started over 20 years ago ACT! was cutting edge and the software actually worked well. Version 21 is an unqualified disaster. Please RUN, do not walk away from this product. Find a company that actually values their clients enough to give them functioning software. Bulk email with EMarketing was awful and now ACT! Marketng Automation has figured out to be even worse.
  • Swiftpage ACT! unilaterally and retroactively changed the terms of all clients previously with ACT! Premium. We renewed September 2019 but they essentially cancelled this contract two months into the 12 month period. The really know how to increase revenue with nearly a 50% price increase. If you are a Swiftpage stockholder you are pretty happy about all of this. We clients are not.
  • Many of us need to send a lot more emails than our standard email accounts will allow. We all also need to conform to federal laws about sending emails. So working with reputable firms that do bulk emails is essential. So we have to use third party services. EMarketing was awful. We would revise a template, dutifully save it multiple times, confirm our changes had been captured, and then send out an email campaign we were comfortable was going to work. Well, despite having done QC and being diligent about saving our work, Swiftpage sent out a version that reflected few if any of our changes. We totally lost confidence with EMarketing.
  • So Swiftpage's answer to the bulk email problem they created with EMarketing was to tell all their clients if they did not immediately move to version 21 they were going to lose all email capability. EMarketing was being shut down and all of us would have no capability to send emails. So let's do a little extortion and say with a nearly 50% increase in price we can help you.
  • Best of luck getting ACT! Marketing Automation to actually work! We have already wasted a lot of hours and have nothing to show for the lost time. The reason we are so convinced no one should have to endure the loss we have already suffered.
If you are trying to present a professional image to your clients we would strongly recommend finding another vendor besides Swiftpage.
If you have an extensive IT staff that is seriously under utilized, then getting involved with Swiftpage will create all kinds of demands for their time to address all the glitches in version 21.
Okay, you really can't make this stuff up. They send out multiple emails telling clients that if they do not call immediately they will lose their current contract on the renewal date and get shoved into a new subscription that is not described at all except "its the latest and greatest." Well, we call this number multiple times and for 5 calls the number listed in their email reports that we have reached a non-working number. When you finally do get a connection the audio is so poor you know you must be talking to someone in India. Oh, and did we mention how absolutely awful their software performs?
Read Terry Kungel's full review
Andrew Murphy | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 07, 2018

ACT! helps you manage your Clients! Great CRM.

ACT! is our CRM package that our Sales reps use to track their customers. It is used by both Sales and Marketing. Marketing only uses it for getting mailing lists to send out information. This program helps management track activities by our Outside Sales Reps and keep track of where they are.
  • History. You can archive all your email history for each contact
  • Great searchability through contacts!
  • Easy way to setup synchronization of remote databases to segment so Reps only have their contacts.
  • It is complicated to setup when you are first getting to know it. I recommend having a consultant set it up and then documenting the process so you can reproduce it.
  • You have to lock the database when you add/remove items to the drop down lists.
  • It could use a mapping function to show a map of all a Sales Rep's territory with Pins in each address. This would allow Sales Reps to view other customers in the areas of their appointments to maximize their productivity by visiting more customers in the same area.
ACT! is well suited if you want a prepackaged CRM software. It is not as expensive as Salesforce. It is best used on laptops in a Remote Database Synchronization model. It integrates with an App called Handheld Contact so you can see your contacts on your phone. It is not a cloud solution.
Read Andrew Murphy's full review
Laurence Sarner | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 27, 2017

Swiftpage ACT!...A Tried & True Staple Of The CRM World

I have been a user of Swiftpage ACT! in conjunction with the Sage family of accounting products. It has been used as our CRM system due to its integration with Sage Quantum. It was used across the whole organization to track prospects and associated activities/milestones, etc. The business need it addressed was fulfilling the Sage add-on functionality required for managing the sales prospecting process and integration with the Sales/Invoicing/Customer module.
  • Lots of fields for adapting the software to your own requirements.
  • Excellent tracking of activities/details in sales pipeline process.
  • Excellent robust reporting to provide a very clear picture of prospecting activities.
  • Tightly integrated with Sage Quantum accounting software to avoid double entry of prospect details into Customer/Sales module.
  • ACT! is a product that has been around a long time, and the interface is somewhat dated.
  • It isn't as easy to use as some of the newer products.
  • Social media marketing could be stronger.
Swiftpage ACT! would be well suited if you are using a desktop computing environment. ACT! is an old product and they were on the desktop for many years (and still are). Also, ACT! would also be well suited if you are not as concerned about implementing a CRM product that might require a little more training (e.g. if you had employees/salespeople that needed to be trained). Also, ACT! seems to be more generic than some of the industry focused products you see nowadays. For example, MethodCRM works well with non-profits that are on the cloud.
Read Laurence Sarner's full review
Henry Knoop | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 26, 2015

ACT! and Swiftpage, a perfect team for your e-mail campaings

We use ACT! as our main database for lead generation together with Swiftpage Connect for e-mail marketing. As we are a small IT consulting company it is being used by 1 person (me) for all marketing activities. We make our newsletters and other e-mail templates in Swiftpage and then use ACT! to send them out to specific groups.

We do not use any other (CRM, Agenda, activities) module of ACT!
  • What I really like are the interactions between ACT! and Swiftpage, it is a breeze sending out e-mail blasts.
  • It is also very easy to keep our prospect and client base synced between ACT! and Outlook.
  • You can have your customers interactions with your e-mail blast imported in ACT! so you can select the ones that really opened and clicked your e-mail.
  • Not all templates in Swiftpage are as easy as they look, especialy editing advanced templates tends to mess things up.
  • Selecting leads on specific interactions within Swiftpage does require some in depth training.
  • I would like some marketing automation, to feed the Swiftpage drip campaigns.
Act! and Swiftpage work best If you are a small company and do not require advanced e-mail analytics or marketing automation. We do have a special line of business application for interacting with our clients, but otherwise the agenda and activities in ACT! would be a nice benefit. Some more integration between ACT! and Swiftpage Connect would be beneficial, as well as a better on-line editor for the advanced templates.
Read Henry Knoop's full review
December 14, 2016

SwiftPage Review

Our organization is using SwiftPage as a way to send email to our agents with information about senior health insurance products.
  • SwiftPage is inexpensive and integrates with our CRM, which is ACT!
  • Their templates are outdated and difficult to work with. They frequently glitch causing them to look unprofessional in certain browsers.
  • They have very limited reporting capabilities.
If you need basic email software and you are looking for the cheapest option, SwiftPage might work for you. Otherwise, it is better to pay a little more for a product which will allow you to assign and send leads from emails automatically and has more professional templates to work with.
September 13, 2014

SwiftPage ACT still delivers value in the age of the Cloud

While at my former employer, we decided to move down from SalesLogix to SwiftPage ACT! due to ease of maintenance, cost, customization, mobile, and web access found in SageACT! We had detailed experience with SalesLogix as a business partner but never used, sold, or supported SwiftPage ACT. The tool was used for leads and prospects. And, one of the compelling reasons for using the system was the integration with SwiftPage email marketing solution which provided Lead Call Lists which allowed our email marketing, surveys, and database to be integrated. With the integration, we could easily see who was a "hot" lead based on times they opened an email campaign and then assign out for proper handling by a telemarketer. As of 8/2014, SwiftPage has sold off SalesLogix. Therefore, I am hopeful this will allow for SwiftPage to concentrate on their sole product now.
  • Integrated Email Marketing: For a small business, you can have a strong method to handle email marketing in an integrated non-disparate solution.
  • Tailoring: There are no limits on what data you can store in the system and the ease of making changes can be done by a nontechnical person.
  • User Interface: The tool is easy to get around in both the desktop (fat client) and (webclient) which both are quite similar in functionality.
  • Integration: The tool integrates with Word, Excel, and Outlook nicely. And, it integrates with Google Mail and Contacts. There is a nice selection of third party tools available for various needs like AddressGrabber which allows for easy input of contacts from various sources such as email signatures, webpages, etc.
  • Templates: I have enjoyed being able to store tons of various templates for letters which we use over and over for various communications like sales proposals, quotes, and nudging clients along the funnel and sales process.
  • Automation: SwiftPage ACT! has a small business automation engine which allows for reminders and workflow to be administered by the system. It's not as sophisticated as some enterprise workflow automation solutions but for the price it's an awesome addition.
  • Maintenance: Very rarely have a problem which needs to be dealt with and costs to upgrade are minimal at best. We hosted the system internally for the web client and implemented it ourselves initially but had upgrades subsequently done by a local partner simply due to time/cost scenario. In other words, less to have someone else do it.
  • Social Integration: The tool has a basic feed for LinkedIn information to feed into the system. The infusion of more Social Selling "signals" and "feeds" would be very helpful to instill more social selling into the framework.
  • Account vs. Contact: If you are a company which works to B to B rather than B to C there is a still a bit of cumbersome way to handle "joining" accounts and contacts through links. It is better with 16.1 release but still it's a "contact" centric solution which is great for some business relationships like realtors, insurance, & financial services etc.
Account or Contact centric selling environment? Are you fostering a "social selling" environment? Will Email Marketing be sufficient in your future? If you are moving beyond email marketing and want the tool to integrate with a full Marketing Automation platform such as ACT-On (not the same company) or HubSpot, then this is not the tool for you.
I have not called in about a year. But rather, I go to a local support person who provides help. When SwiftPage was called, it fell in the cracks and was lost.

About Swiftpage Act!

Sage Act is a simple contact management system and is not yet available in a SaaS edition.