Overall Satisfaction with SQL Developer
SQL Developer is not directly used by my organization and for good reason. We are, however, forced to use it when we connect to our customer's networks and they sometimes have this as the only software available. This software allows us to connect to their various databases.
- Easy installation. It is very simple to install SQL Developer.
- Database connections. It is very simple to connect to a database using SQL Developer.
- Speed of access. It is very quick to obtain a database connection using SQL Developer.
- Viewing LOBs. SQL Developer does not support viewing large object types well.
- Nested result sets. SQL Developer does not support showing data from REF CURSOR's or inline nested results.
- Slow performance. SQL Developer is slow in general compared to other tools in this space I have used.
- SQL Developer is a free tool. This is why many people choose to use it. However, there are much better tools on the market.
- PL/SQL Developer and TOAD
SQL Developer is slower, has less features and is harder to be efficient than PL/SQL Developer or TOAD.
Only when nothing else is available do we use SQL Developer.