Overall Satisfaction with SQL Developer
We use SQL Developer to connect and store databases for all our environments. All tables, stored procedures, functions, and triggers are managed using SQL Developer. Since we deal with OBIEE, our code primarily consists of PL-SQL supported by Oracle and hence SQL Developer works best for us.
- Connecting to databases. Segregation of various connections.
- Easy availability of the tool. No cost or licensing involved.
- Display of compiler errors.
- It becomes slower when dealing with large volumes of code.
- Sometimes the connectivity is lost if the network/domain is changed. It needs to be more powerful.
- I think more detailed explanation of error logs needs to be present. It helps in debugging of code.
- It is available free of cost. So it is definitely recommended for someone who wants to do light weight work on PL SQL Code.
- We mostly deal with OBIEE Reports and calling and utilizing data models based on PL SQL code work great on SQL Developer.
It stands pretty well with Toad in terms of smaller code to be dealt with. As mentioned, we deal with OBIEE Reports and PL-SQL Code management is a small aspect of our roadmap.
For PL-SQL procedures and functions, SQL Developer is best suited and highly recommended.