Likelihood to Recommend
We use Alpha Anywhere to develop large scale business applications. So far, we haven't found any real limitations. This is exemplified by my response to my customers who frequently ask, "Is it possible..." I always interrupt them before this sentence goes any further by telling them, "with our development platform, anything's possible" (then we have to discuss whether the time/cost is worth the added benefit of what they're requesting).
I would recommend for building native apps for iOS or Android if 1) the developers come from a web dev background; 2) the company can't afford separate teams for Android and iOS; 3) the team wants to use Vue.js.
I would not recommend if the app needs a web version and is simple enough to be a hybrid app.
- Mobile application development with true offline capability.
- Low-code, rapid app development and deployment environment for building native-quality, cross platform web and mobile business applications.
- Cross platform mobile apps created with HTML5.
- Back-end database support for pretty much all the most popular SQL backends as well as NoSQL and Rest APIs.
- It is very quick to get started using NativeScript. We can generally onboard a new developer into the project in just a day or two.
- The open source community surrounding NativeScript allows our team to find solutions to open issues quickly, as well as give back by fixing some issues ourselves. Work can progress quicker with the plugins other developers have already built.
- Whenever I'm asked to criticize Alpha Anywhere, my first comment refers to the documentation. For sure, they've made some improvements, this year, but I still wish it were better. Because I moved from another development package, I really had to start learning from scratch... I've been at it, for years, and I still feel like I have a way to go. The good news is that Alpha has a very active Message Board and there are lots of people who generously give their time to answer questions and help solve problems. There's no "tech support" line to call for help. Alpha DOES offer a paid "mentoring" service, which I used, several times. Unfortunately, my experience with the mentors wasn't as positive as I hoped it would be.
- Alpha needs to improve its "templates" to make them more modern for users. I've never had a complaint from users, but I'd like my applications to have a newer, flashier look.
- Nativescript runs everything on a single thread. i.e., the UI thread. If you want to offload some processing, you have to use web workers. This experience can be improved in the future releases.
- Currently NativeScript only have hot reload when you change the UI file or Css file. There is no hot reload when you change Js/Ts file, unlike Google's Flutter. This is also something which NativeScript will get in the future releases.
- In current version of NativeScript, there is no livesync when building with webpack. This feature will be added with NativeScript 4.x. (an RC version for 4.x is already available)
Likelihood to Renew
No answers yet
No answers on this topic
Based on 1 answer
The hybrid is ok but native is better for performance and the right use case I want to go for is the performance without dealing with too many development tools.
No answers yet
No answers on this topic
Based on 2 answers
My focus has been, and must remain, with obtaining support from web resources over that of paid support programs. Many companies, including those of government agencies, do not have a budget sufficient for paying large sums of money to other organizations to answer questions. Even in cases where an organization did purchase support programs, developers often found that the delays in obtaining responses to development issues was excessive. I give NativeScript the lowest possible rating, due to the fact that their website content is severely outdated and of little use to a developer in a crunch. The NativeScript environment may be far better than I have been able to report, but held back from excelling due to poor support content. Being that I am often asked to push the boundaries in various areas, improper documentation is highly detrimental to a development team, and thuss a review. I would be more than happy to improve this review as the content of the support documentation provided by the NativeScript team makes its way to their website in the form of real-world examples which are applicable to all versions, or at least the most recent versions, of their product.
Alpha Anywhere is a more robust, complete and lower cost solution for rapid desktop, web and mobile application cross platform development.
We have previously evaluated Xamarin, and the time it took us to get started, install all of the software, license it, learn Xamarin, and create a app that runs and debugs on connected mobile devices was painful. With NativeScript and the Playground, we're able to get started fast - in less than 5 minutes, and be running a mobile app on multiple connected devices. Furthermore, we could make changes and see live changes on the mobile apps.
Return on Investment
- Alpha is our sole Development Platform. It has enabled us to contract for some pretty large jobs. AND, we are regularly told, by our customers, that our programs have helped them improve their organizations, workflows and profits.
- One of the projects we had to build was a rewrite of an existing mobile application. We could acomplish the complete rewrite in about a month along with general improvements and a couple additions.
- More and more clients are specifically looking for NativeScript developers, and since we are focused on NativeScript we've had an influx of new clients asking for quotes.
Engineer in EngineeringComputer Software Company, 1-10 employees
Inspection Solutions is a mobile business app designed for inspectors who need to inspect construction vehicles in the field, but showcases functionality relevant to many other field apps. The app includes the critical features now required in modern field services apps, such as offline capability, bar code scanning, voice annotation and digital ink. It is a native-quality hybrid app created using the Alpha Anywhere V4 rapid mobile application development and deployment platform.See All (6) Alpha Anywhere Screenshots
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?
Alpha Anywhere Editions & Modules
|Alpha Anywhere Business||$1,499/year|
|Alpha Anywhere Business Pro||$2,499/year|
|Alpha Anywhere Enterprise||Call Us +1 781.850.46002|
|Alpha TransForm (no-code component)||35/month|
- Volume Discounts
Additional Pricing DetailsQuestions? Call us: +1 781.229.4500
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
NativeScript Editions & Modules