IBM Cloud Object Storage Reviews

Dana Rafiee profile photo
IBM Cloud Object Storage is used in our organization and for our clients. For example, for claims analysis in insurance, it is used to help identify and classify claims allowing clients to make a decision to pay out benefits or deploy an adjuster. This helps clients save money through this early classification process.
  • Identify the level of damage in an automobile claim.
  • Classify the mood of customers through a modified facial recognition.
  • Tracking individuals in public spaces, understanding the traffic patterns of venue attendees.
  • While this platform has been around, it does take some getting used. The interface could be refined. My Firefox Browser automatically closed when selecting some options and creating new objects as an example.
  • The tutorials are a bit outdated in comparison to the screens shown. We understand the system is constantly improving. The tutorials should reflect the changes in the interface.
  • There are many pre-trained models. However, it is not clear as to how those models were trained, what bias may exist in the training data, and how a user could improve those models unless we simply have to build our own.
We believe IBM Cloud Object Storage is perfect for any organization that wants to analyze and classify images. We use PowerAI Vision, which powers this product, so we understand the underlying methodology. This could be used for public analysis, crime prevention, insurance claims, drone analysis, and any other visual categorization need. We would not suggest using this for traditional predictive statistics.
Read Dana Rafiee's full review
Obi Onyemaobi profile photo
It is being used by our hosting department, which I oversee, to backup data from our main servers and primary backup storage servers. It allows us to ensure that all customers' data, and other particulars are kept in a safe, off-server "holding area". This also allows us to make changes to our primary backup servers without worry that we will lose any files.
  • Allows for safe off-server storage methods
  • Very easy setup with Linux OS
  • More documentation
  • Bring in a script to automatically do the setup
cPanel really utilizes the storage method well for backups, and we are able to tweak IBM Cloud Object Storage for all of our uses.
Read Obi Onyemaobi's full review
Alex Pachan ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Seo Service profile photo
We just began to use IBM Cloud Object Storage. We are testing hosting internal files on IBM to serve files in regions for quicker resolve/page speed. We plan to test different regions and to observe if having an authority like IBM serve files to website visitors seems to have a positive impact on search engine results.
  • UI
  • UX
  • Initial Setup
  • Explanation videos for each section offered
Well suited: This storage can be used by every organization who is looking to work with a stable environment. The uptime is nearly 100%. IBM Cloud Storage with our usage and testing so far has cut our overall page speed in half. Our GTMetrix scores have improved.
Read Alex Pachan ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Seo Service's full review
Sean Hall profile photo
I am using a cloud storage solution to build object detection machine learning models to use in applications for slide analysis for pathology. I would like to highlight cells and get their count, mean cell volume, and any shape discrepancies and use augmented reality to project the findings onto the slide in real time to enhance the performance of the pathologist.
  • Machine Learning and cloud based HIPPA compliant storage solutions for back end data support for mobile and web based applications
  • IBM does offer fast machine learning interfaces for natural language processing which I will be using for a chronic cough project.
  • Better help functions or API support, sometimes the documentation is a little hard to follow.
  • Better GUI for machine learning construction, Python can be a bit heavy to run and use and command line interfaces are tough when you want feedback to how something is processing.
  • Whole slide analysis from the developer program had some problems retrieving the correct version of sci-kit so I was unable to finish the example project to build a web server of tiled images from an SVS whole slide image for analysis. Did not see a help button but would love to have help to finish.
Good for HIPPA cloud support
Read Sean Hall's full review
Bhavani Prasad Rao Ejanthkar profile photo
I'm working on an Optical Character Recognition problem for one of the NIST's public safety projects. I have been using the IBM Cloud services, like Object Storage, Spark and Watson NLU. I have used Cloud Object Storage to store the input image files and output text files.

My team is also using Cloud Object Storage for hosting the application's data. We are using the Watson API's to connect it with Jupyter Notebook for building the OCR model that could extract the text data from an input image file. The data that we are working on is license plate information that we are trying to extract the state, car number, etc. from. We are integrating the OCR application with a hands-free virtual assistant to build a robust product that would help first responders to do their job efficiently and easily without using hands (Hands-Free Device Control using Virtual Assistants).
  • Data is stored as a different object
  • Application can be scaled
  • Reliability and accessibility
  • It is not CJIS compliant
  • It is sometimes slow due to IO traffic
  • Since it's public cloud storage, security and privacy is a concern
It would be ideal to use IBM Cloud Storage service if there is lots of application data. It would help you focus on the application part rather than worrying about the storage space and computation speed for running the application on a local machine. It is very helpful in hosting the input data and output data for data analysis.
Read Bhavani Prasad Rao Ejanthkar's full review
Rocky Paredes profile photo
IBM Cloud Object Storage is used for two purposes:

- It is used for nightly backups of 2 Windows 2016 Servers.
- It is used for nightly backups of Network Area Storage.

It uses IBM Cloud Objects Storage and the problem that it addresses is the quick recovery in the event of an onsite disaster that cannot be addressed locally
  • Onsite servers back up quickly to the cloud.
  • There is no complex cost structure. Costs are simple to figure out. Unlike some other Cloud Storage Services that I evaluated there were Technical Sales reps available by a chat with quick and complete answers.
  • The online sales rep provided me his direct number and when we came across a challenge while setting up API Keys he searched for a tech in the cloud backup group while still on the call to help me through it.
  • Once you go through the implementation process things are easy to find but I would have like to see a cheat sheet with step by step instructions on how to register then where to go from there. Creating the Account > Creating your object storage > Creating your bucket > generating API Keys.
IBM Cloud Object Storage is well suited for Synology NAS backup. When using Synology Hyper Backup on their NAS I found that you can view individual files, as well as restore individual files. Hyper Backup displays the object as individual files in their format such as Excel, Word, PDF, and so on. Synology will support S3 but some Cloud service providers do not support S3 and I found that some are more expensive than IBM Cloud Storage. IBM Cloud Storage lends itself nicely to Bare Metal Image Backups as well.
Read Rocky Paredes's full review
Paula DiTallo profile photo
As a researcher, developer, and product manager IBM Cloud Storage allows me to focus my time on the specific problem I am solving for, rather than tie up my time with administering storage devices/capacity. IBM Cloud Storage is simple to use. Storage capacity is available within minutes.
  • Data stored with IBM is protected and secured.
  • In active dev/QA/prod environments, storage can be utilized for archiving and backups.
  • When integrated into product (web/mobile app) architecture, it can assure scalable, persistent storage.
  • Although navigation/usage is "simple" on the surface, one does need a solid technical understanding of how to implement and maintaining cloud storage as it applies to the problem(s) one is solving.
  • I think IBM could better promote its capabilities by offering more real-world architectural and implementation examples of how ICOS would fit in a typical enterprise application requiring different retrieval strategies regarding visual analytics over time; merging current data with legacy object data.
I would recommend ICOS to any product manager interested in rapidly getting a prototype of a mobile/web application up and running for investors, clients and peer-groups to work with and evaluate. I also think its a very good tool to have available for development and test environments that require comparisons against large canon object datasets with post-enhancement test result object datasets.
Read Paula DiTallo's full review
Paul Jebasingh profile photo
I am using it for Object-oriented storage.
  • Object-oriented storage.
  • The number of storage options is more than other providers.
  • Free storage during the testing trial allows you to test out the options.
  • In multi-region, only a few options are available.
I am using it for my own purposes.
Read Paul Jebasingh's full review
Utkarsh Sharma profile photo
I use IBM Cloud Object Storage for pursuing IBM Data Science and Engineering Professional Certificate offered by IBM through Coursera. IBM Cloud Object Store helped me access my data files to be incorporated in my projects conveniently in the form of a cloud object. Thus, helping me to access my data files in a convenient manner through the cloud and my data is always available to me.
  • CSV files could be added to a Jupyter Notebook through IBM Cloud Object Storage.
  • XLS files could be added to a Jupyter Notebook through IBM Cloud Object Storage.
  • SQL files could be added to a Jupyter Notebook through IBM Cloud Object Storage.
  • I would like to see better offers for students and researchers.
For a student using the Lite Plan of the IBM Cloud Object Store if there is a need for CSV, XLS, SQL files in a Jupyter Notebook, then IBM Cloud Object Store will definitely be helpful in keeping the data files on the cloud. As a student using the Lite Plan, only one instance can be used by the user, I suggest this number to be improved for the students and researchers.
Read Utkarsh Sharma's full review
Adeyeye George profile photo
It is really nice, but I just hope that in the future there will be PHP SDK too.
  • Data Backups
  • Backup Retrievals
  • Provision of PHP SDK
  • Provision of HTTP API Access
IBM Cloud Object Storage is well suited for backing up files in large quantities.
Read Adeyeye George's full review
Nick Koopmans profile photo
December 18, 2019

IBM COS

We are using Cloud Object Storage to store images derived by our Conv Neural Nets at various in-the-field locations. These are later used to retrain our models, so they are valuable to us. Our organisation is quite small so it is used by all colleagues, for all clients who are using these particular products.
  • Easy to set up.
  • Direct connection to other services such as ML.
  • We have not experienced this yet.
We only have experience with saving our photos. Until now, we haven't had any issues.
Read Nick Koopmans's full review
Jernej Romih profile photo
Cloud Object Storage is being used across the organisation. It solves the problem of data resiliency and availability for large amounts of archive data.
  • Accessors - docker deployment, VM deployment, hardware deployment (flexibility).
  • Data protection - erasure coding + IDA.
  • Performance.
  • No idea
Well suited: Archives, backup repositories, digital multimedia asset repository, web applications.
Less appropriate: Online Hi I/O low service time storage, file access.
Read Jernej Romih's full review
SARWAN KUMAR profile photo
November 25, 2019

IBM: The best

I am using the IBM Cloud Object Storage to store the HTML files while I am learning the Python programming language online through the Coursera platform.
  • Cost-effective geo-dispersed data protection.
  • Data tagging with IBM Spectrum Discover.
  • Engineered for massive scalability.
  • Need to lower the cost still.
Pros: It's user-friendly.
Cons: It's still expensive.
Read SARWAN KUMAR's full review
Sayed Kamal profile photo
The whole organization uses it. We use it to store casual and critical data. We also sometimes upload our saved meetings, calendars, and reports to be available for all employees. It is useful as it facilitates sharing some data with other businesses we work with. The most important thing we can use this data for is exploratory analysis and data visualization without downloading it. We take the results to create insightful reports and sometimes use AI functions.
  • Easy sharing
  • Database analysis without downloading files or using any API
  • High levels of security
  • Simplification of the interface
  • Renaming some features to be more easily understood, as some words are very ambiguous
The ability to work on data stored in the cloud directly without downloading it is the best feature. The worst aspect of IBM Cloud Storage is the difficult-to-understand terms used in the settings and security features.
Read Sayed Kamal's full review
Iván Díaz profile photo
We are focused on providing policy admin solutions for insurance companies around the world. I am using IBM Cloud Object Storage first to learn how it works and how it can be best implemented for our customers.
  • Flexibility to create very easy object storage
  • Pay only for what you use
  • Redundancy in different storage locations
  • There are some regulations that do not allow us to store personal information outside of the country. I would like to have the possibility to store the information in a cloud where their infrastructure is inside Mexico
IBM Cloud Object Storage is well suited for AI, unstructured data that can be accessed from any part of the world, IoT and analytic data or just backup information. You can scale the storage without any interruption.
Read Iván Díaz's full review
Ben Holmes profile photo
November 12, 2019

Very fast, secure

Used in moving custom files for data science exploration in collaboration with Watson Studio.
  • Very fast
  • Cheap
  • Connections are bit difficult to configure.
  • Security is difficult understand.
  • Providing access is a difficulty.
Ad hoc movement of data into IBM's stack of applications on the cloud.
Read Ben Holmes's full review
Batuhan Tastekin profile photo
When I tried to use other storage providers I saw that they had very low TPU and speed. IBM Cloud Object Storage is the best storage I've had the opportunity to use.
  • High speed.
  • Easy to use.
  • Very extendable with other sources.
  • 25GB/Month storage isn't enough sometimes.
When you want to develop a model around ML or AI, IBM Cloud Object Storage is the best suited platform to create these models.
Read Batuhan Tastekin's full review
vivek sharma profile photo
I used IBM object storage for the Call for Code Challenge. I also used object storage with IBM tealeaf to transfer replay sessions data to Object Storage. This was used to develop a POC. It was used by a department under the practice team.
  • It is easy to use and deploy.
  • Well written documentation with steps.
  • Quick set-up with API access for IAM.
  • Nothing to improve on!
IBM Cloud Storage is good for storing data. Accessing large files is an advantage.
Read vivek sharma's full review
Binayak Swami profile photo
IBM Cloud Object Storage is used for storing structured as well as unstructured data. The data files to be used further in various ML model development and learning. It is also a healthy source of practicing new storage score and get used to with future trends and technologies. I strongly recommend it to other B2B users as well.
  • The structured form of data storage.
  • Unstructured form of data storage.
  • Easy access to both.
  • It depends on user to use and what he/she may find comfortable.
Positives:
Structured form of data storage.
Unstructured form of data storage.
IoT data Storage.
Toolbox utility.

Negatives:
Ease of application may vary from person to person.
The network interface issue has popped up some time, however, it was rectified soon.
In comparison to Amazon web services, I personally found it convenient in my application-specific area. However, AWS active users did claim about better / Wide applicability.

Read Binayak Swami's full review
Evan Archuleta profile photo
October 31, 2019

Love it!

Stores unstructured data for later use in a secure cloud. We have lost many computers before and this is a great free alternative for our small business.
  • Storage.
  • Programing help.
  • Hard to start.
  • Lots of options.
  • Can be overwhelming.
Good for cloud storage and secure data management.
Read Evan Archuleta's full review
Jeanette Harris-McNair, MBA-PM profile photo
Currently, I am taking a course to learn how to use IBM Cloud Storage. It is my hope to one day introduce it to my organization for possible use in the Data Analytics department.
  • Visual recognition is a very nice tool. It provides phenomenal data that the average person would not recognize.
  • Project sharing is great.
  • Ability to create so many projects using various codes, such as Python, R, and Scala.
  • Not very user-friendly.
  • I am just learning to use this resource and I am finding it very difficult to navigate.
At this time, I am not very familiar with using it. I'm not sure if I'd recommend it just yet. However, it is my goal to become an expert because I like what I see so far.
Read Jeanette Harris-McNair, MBA-PM's full review
Bobby Iliev profile photo
October 18, 2019

Worth giving it a try!

We are using the IBM COS for our Kubernetes cluster.
  • Really well documented.
  • Native integration with K8s.
  • Easy to provision.
  • Better documentation regarding Kubernetes integration.
It is quite handy if you have a Kubernetes cluster as it comes with out-of-the-box integration.
Read Bobby Iliev's full review
Ahmed Alsareti profile photo
We Have ECM Solution that requires a shared and HA storage, and we used the same solution for demos for our client
  • Good security.
  • HA, and IBM support.
  • Easy to manage.
  • Cloud storage on-prems.
As indicated maintaining the storage is difficult. We needed to have HA storage with a reliable operational Support Team.
Read Ahmed Alsareti's full review
Our company will be soon providing our clients with consulting, training, support and deployment services on AI and machine learning technologies, and more in general on data science matters. IBM COS is our preferred solution when it comes to storing large amounts of data, thanks to its convenience, scalability and ability to perform in-the-cloud queries (via IBM SQL Query) and analytics.
  • High speed transfer of data to and from the COS.
  • High security standards.
  • I have no special improvement suggestion to make at this time.
As a data persistence tool I think it's a great partner to any data science team that already uses open-source and IBM technologies in its day-to-day job. In fact its integration with other IBM tools (and namely IBM Watson Studio) makes the whole workflow a lot easier and more intuitive.
I use IBM storage myself, not in my organization. I use it to store data files and python notebooks.
  • Fast.
  • Free account option for individual users.
  • More detailed support documents.
  • More instructions on the interface.
It’s well suited if the organization is using IBM products in general.
It's less appropriate when the organization is mainly using Google, AWS, or Azure. I found the service provided by these services are more or less similar so it’s really a matter of choosing ecosystem. It seems to me that IBM products are not as widely used as these platforms.

IBM Cloud Object Storage Scorecard Summary

Service-level Agreement (SLA) uptime (39)
Dynamic scaling (38)
Elastic load balancing (37)
Monitoring tools (37)
Security controls (42)

About IBM Cloud Object Storage

IBM Cloud Object Storage makes it possible to store practically limitless amounts of data, simply and cost effectively. It is commonly used as storage for web sites and mobile applications, data archiving and backup, enterprise file services, and analytics. Flexible storage class tiers with a policy-based archive lets users effectively manage costs while meeting data access needs. The integrated Aspera high-speed data transfer option makes it easy to transfer data to and from Cloud Object Storage, and query-in-place functionality supports running analytics directly on users' data.

Features

Storage classes. Effectively manage costs while meeting data access needs. Storage class tiers are available for active (Standard), cool (Vault), cold (Cold Vault) and dynamic (Flex) data

Archive. Apply an age-based archive policy to move objects from any storage class to long term, lower-cost storage

Resiliency options. Meet availability and resiliency needs. Options include Cross Region, Regional or Single Data Center

Integrated Aspera high-speed data transfer. Quickly transfer data to and from IBM Cloud Object Storage with no cost for data ingress

Query-in-place. Run analytics directly on data at rest using IBM SQL Query

Data durability. Designed for 99.999999999-percent data durability

Encryption. Leverage server-side encryption. Optionally manage encryption keys or use IBM Key Protect

Identity and Access Management. Manage access control using role-based policies

IBM Cloud Object Storage Features

Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) Features
Has featureService-level Agreement (SLA) uptime
Has featureDynamic scaling
Has featureElastic load balancing
Does not have featurePre-configured templates
Has featureMonitoring tools
Does not have featurePre-defined machine images
Does not have featureOperating system support
Has featureSecurity controls
Has featureFlexibe Storage Class Tiers
Has featurePolicy-based archive
Has featureIntegrated Aspera high-speed data transfer option
Has featureQuery data in place
Has featureAccess Management and Permissions
Has featureSDKs

IBM Cloud Object Storage Screenshots

IBM Cloud Object Storage Video

IBM Cloud Object Storage: Data is your business.

IBM Cloud Object Storage Integrations

IBM Spectrum Protect, Komprise, Veritas NetBackup, IBM Analytics Engine, IBM Cloud Mass Data Migration, CTERA, IBM FileNet, Cloudberry Explorer Pro, CommVault Simpana, DBM Cloud Aire, Watson Studio (formerly IBM Data Science Experience), IBM Content Manager OnDemand, IBM Aspera, Nasuni Filer, NICE Trading Recording, NICE Engage, Panzura Filer, Rclone, Storage Made Easy

IBM Cloud Object Storage Competitors

Google Cloud Storage, Amazon S3 (Simple Storage Service), Microsoft Azure Blob Storage

• Has featureFree or Freemium Version Available?Yes
Lite PlanFreeUp to 25 GB/mo. For all terms go to https://www.ibm.com/cloud/object-storage
Standard PlanThere is no minimum fee, pay only for what you useFor pricing and all terms go to https://www.ibm.com/cloud/object-storage

The Lite and Standard service plans for Cloud Object Storage include resiliency options, flexible data classes and built-in security. Pricing is based on your choice of location, storage class and resiliency choice.

IBM Cloud Object Storage Support Options