IBM Cloud Object Storage Reviews

Do you work for this company?

Dana Rafiee profile photo
IBM Cloud Object Storage is used in our organization and for our clients. For example, for claims analysis in insurance, it is used to help identify and classify claims allowing clients to make a decision to pay out benefits or deploy an adjuster. This helps clients save money through this early classification process.
  • Identify the level of damage in an automobile claim.
  • Classify the mood of customers through a modified facial recognition.
  • Tracking individuals in public spaces, understanding the traffic patterns of venue attendees.
  • While this platform has been around, it does take some getting used. The interface could be refined. My Firefox Browser automatically closed when selecting some options and creating new objects as an example.
  • The tutorials are a bit outdated in comparison to the screens shown. We understand the system is constantly improving. The tutorials should reflect the changes in the interface.
  • There are many pre-trained models. However, it is not clear as to how those models were trained, what bias may exist in the training data, and how a user could improve those models unless we simply have to build our own.
We believe IBM Cloud Object Storage is perfect for any organization that wants to analyze and classify images. We use PowerAI Vision, which powers this product, so we understand the underlying methodology. This could be used for public analysis, crime prevention, insurance claims, drone analysis, and any other visual categorization need. We would not suggest using this for traditional predictive statistics.
Read Dana Rafiee's full review
Rocky Paredes profile photo
IBM Cloud Object Storage is used for two purposes:

- It is used for nightly backups of 2 Windows 2016 Servers.
- It is used for nightly backups of Network Area Storage.

It uses IBM Cloud Objects Storage and the problem that it addresses is the quick recovery in the event of an onsite disaster that cannot be addressed locally
  • Onsite servers back up quickly to the cloud.
  • There is no complex cost structure. Costs are simple to figure out. Unlike some other Cloud Storage Services that I evaluated there were Technical Sales reps available by a chat with quick and complete answers.
  • The online sales rep provided me his direct number and when we came across a challenge while setting up API Keys he searched for a tech in the cloud backup group while still on the call to help me through it.
  • Once you go through the implementation process things are easy to find but I would have like to see a cheat sheet with step by step instructions on how to register then where to go from there. Creating the Account > Creating your object storage > Creating your bucket > generating API Keys.
IBM Cloud Object Storage is well suited for Synology NAS backup. When using Synology Hyper Backup on their NAS I found that you can view individual files, as well as restore individual files. Hyper Backup displays the object as individual files in their format such as Excel, Word, PDF, and so on. Synology will support S3 but some Cloud service providers do not support S3 and I found that some are more expensive than IBM Cloud Storage. IBM Cloud Storage lends itself nicely to Bare Metal Image Backups as well.
Read Rocky Paredes's full review
Paula DiTallo profile photo
As a researcher, developer, and product manager IBM Cloud Storage allows me to focus my time on the specific problem I am solving for, rather than tie up my time with administering storage devices/capacity. IBM Cloud Storage is simple to use. Storage capacity is available within minutes.
  • Data stored with IBM is protected and secured.
  • In active dev/QA/prod environments, storage can be utilized for archiving and backups.
  • When integrated into product (web/mobile app) architecture, it can assure scalable, persistent storage.
  • Although navigation/usage is "simple" on the surface, one does need a solid technical understanding of how to implement and maintaining cloud storage as it applies to the problem(s) one is solving.
  • I think IBM could better promote its capabilities by offering more real-world architectural and implementation examples of how ICOS would fit in a typical enterprise application requiring different retrieval strategies regarding visual analytics over time; merging current data with legacy object data.
I would recommend ICOS to any product manager interested in rapidly getting a prototype of a mobile/web application up and running for investors, clients and peer-groups to work with and evaluate. I also think its a very good tool to have available for development and test environments that require comparisons against large canon object datasets with post-enhancement test result object datasets.
Read Paula DiTallo's full review
Paul Jebasingh profile photo
I am using it for Object-oriented storage.
  • Object-oriented storage.
  • The number of storage options is more than other providers.
  • Free storage during the testing trial allows you to test out the options.
  • In multi-region, only a few options are available.
I am using it for my own purposes.
Read Paul Jebasingh's full review
Batuhan Tastekin profile photo
When I tried to use other storage providers I saw that they had very low TPU and speed. IBM Cloud Object Storage is the best storage I've had the opportunity to use.
  • High speed.
  • Easy to use.
  • Very extendable with other sources.
  • 25GB/Month storage isn't enough sometimes.
When you want to develop a model around ML or AI, IBM Cloud Object Storage is the best suited platform to create these models.
Read Batuhan Tastekin's full review
vivek sharma profile photo
I used IBM object storage for the Call for Code Challenge. I also used object storage with IBM tealeaf to transfer replay sessions data to Object Storage. This was used to develop a POC. It was used by a department under the practice team.
  • It is easy to use and deploy.
  • Well written documentation with steps.
  • Quick set-up with API access for IAM.
  • Nothing to improve on!
IBM Cloud Storage is good for storing data. Accessing large files is an advantage.
Read vivek sharma's full review
Utkarsh Sharma profile photo
I use IBM Cloud Object Storage for pursuing IBM Data Science and Engineering Professional Certificate offered by IBM through Coursera. IBM Cloud Object Store helped me access my data files to be incorporated in my projects conveniently in the form of a cloud object. Thus, helping me to access my data files in a convenient manner through the cloud and my data is always available to me.
  • CSV files could be added to a Jupyter Notebook through IBM Cloud Object Storage.
  • XLS files could be added to a Jupyter Notebook through IBM Cloud Object Storage.
  • SQL files could be added to a Jupyter Notebook through IBM Cloud Object Storage.
  • I would like to see better offers for students and researchers.
For a student using the Lite Plan of the IBM Cloud Object Store if there is a need for CSV, XLS, SQL files in a Jupyter Notebook, then IBM Cloud Object Store will definitely be helpful in keeping the data files on the cloud. As a student using the Lite Plan, only one instance can be used by the user, I suggest this number to be improved for the students and researchers.
Read Utkarsh Sharma's full review
Binayak Swami profile photo
IBM Cloud Object Storage is used for storing structured as well as unstructured data. The data files to be used further in various ML model development and learning. It is also a healthy source of practicing new storage score and get used to with future trends and technologies. I strongly recommend it to other B2B users as well.
  • The structured form of data storage.
  • Unstructured form of data storage.
  • Easy access to both.
  • It depends on user to use and what he/she may find comfortable.
Positives:
Structured form of data storage.
Unstructured form of data storage.
IoT data Storage.
Toolbox utility.

Negatives:
Ease of application may vary from person to person.
The network interface issue has popped up some time, however, it was rectified soon.
In comparison to Amazon web services, I personally found it convenient in my application-specific area. However, AWS active users did claim about better / Wide applicability.

Read Binayak Swami's full review
Evan Archuleta profile photo
October 31, 2019

Love it!

Stores unstructured data for later use in a secure cloud. We have lost many computers before and this is a great free alternative for our small business.
  • Storage.
  • Programing help.
  • Hard to start.
  • Lots of options.
  • Can be overwhelming.
Good for cloud storage and secure data management.
Read Evan Archuleta's full review
Jeanette Harris-McNair, MBA-PM profile photo
Currently, I am taking a course to learn how to use IBM Cloud Storage. It is my hope to one day introduce it to my organization for possible use in the Data Analytics department.
  • Visual recognition is a very nice tool. It provides phenomenal data that the average person would not recognize.
  • Project sharing is great.
  • Ability to create so many projects using various codes, such as Python, R, and Scala.
  • Not very user-friendly.
  • I am just learning to use this resource and I am finding it very difficult to navigate.
At this time, I am not very familiar with using it. I'm not sure if I'd recommend it just yet. However, it is my goal to become an expert because I like what I see so far.
Read Jeanette Harris-McNair, MBA-PM's full review
Bobby Iliev profile photo
October 18, 2019

Worth giving it a try!

We are using the IBM COS for our Kubernetes cluster.
  • Really well documented.
  • Native integration with K8s.
  • Easy to provision.
  • Better documentation regarding Kubernetes integration.
It is quite handy if you have a Kubernetes cluster as it comes with out-of-the-box integration.
Read Bobby Iliev's full review
Ahmed Alsareti profile photo
We Have ECM Solution that requires a shared and HA storage, and we used the same solution for demos for our client
  • Good security.
  • HA, and IBM support.
  • Easy to manage.
  • Cloud storage on-prems.
As indicated maintaining the storage is difficult. We needed to have HA storage with a reliable operational Support Team.
Read Ahmed Alsareti's full review
It's used to store the backups of the database as replacement to tradional tapes and disks
  • Easy to use.
  • Quick to load and export.
  • Flexible.
  • Lower the cost.
  • Add more training videos on the IBM website.
It's good for storing backups.
We want to use it and integrate it with front end application/ETL developers.
I only use it for my learning section via Courser. IBM Cloud looks very similar to some competitor's products. However, there are a few companies have a much larger market share in the cloud space.
  • No credit card information needed for a free account.
  • Simple to use.
  • Fewer users.
It is good to use for an individual but from an enterprise perspective, it may not be a great option since the coverage and the service are still not comparable to some market leaders. As a result, I would give a 7 out of ten due to the reasons mentioned above.
Out app supports business practices for an entire arm of a company. All files that get parsed also get backed up in COS. Whenever we generate reports for the users, they also get put into COS for safe keeping. When we do DB backups we also dump those in COS as well. Basically it is a huge backup center and place for source documentation.
  • The AWS wrapper scripts provide great interoperability cross-cloud.
  • It is much faster than the swift storage implementation.
  • It is a clean way to store files.
  • If they had just used the aws boto_3 as it was and just changed the credentials piece, that would have made it even easier.
  • The connection to their services isn't as fast as one would have expected.
  • We found issues when pulling lots of files from one IBM service to the other.
We really like using Cloud Object Storage for backing up files. We also like using it to pass files between different applications using the DB as the intermediary term or by passing the path to the database of another application. Overall it is a great place for data backup and storage.
We use IBM Cloud Object Storage to handle all our assets for our product deployments which are images, videos and audio files. This helps us keep high availability for our customers that access these resources from their devices.
  • Geo-location of user requests
  • Permissions and ACL management still needs some improvement if you aren't a CLI wizard.
Most types of binary storage that don't require very low latency. If you need very low latency (<300ms) then there are other services from IBM that are better suited.
November 08, 2019

Great product

I use it for personal purposes to test data sets, and it works great for this use.
  • It's easy to access.
  • Great community help.
  • Free storage.
  • Difficult to navigate between notebooks.
It's well suited for the cases where a user wants to test smaller data sets for free.
We use IBM Cloud Storage to backup all our web hosting accounts.
  • It's quick
  • It's easy
  • It's automated
  • Awesome to have a chat ready to help in the panel.
  • Sometimes it's hard to find your way around the panel.
Great for backups, no matter what type of information you need to guard.
I'm currently using the software to learn some data science fundamentals.
  • Intuitive user interface
  • Fast, convenient uploads with proprietary software
  • Great learning environment for SQL
  • I'd like it to be more intuitive (or possible if it's not) to move files from web to storage without first downloading them to a local machine.
It's a great option for learning or for small scale personal projects and is easily scalable when you need more space. Paid plans seem reasonable based on what I've seen elsewhere. I'm not sure where it would be less appropriate, as it seems like a good all-around option if you require cloud storage.
We're currently running analyses to determine the effectiveness of different marketing campaigns. IBM Cloud Storage is being used to store our data and associated models.
  • Ease of use.
  • Interface is slightly cumbersome.
It's been great for storing data that's being used by Watson. Having the data locally available speeds up the process.
Luiz Lai profile photo
We're using the IBM Cloud Object Storage in the development/IT/data engineer areas of the organization. We developed various services, applications, and solutions for our clients, which need a storage cloud service with a high availability and resiliency and that is global and scalable and with good prices. The IBM Cloud Object Storage provides all these requirements for our clients.
  • Global. Multi-region cloud storage with easy mode.
  • Super easy simple interface.
  • Easy to connect with other services in the IBM cloud.
  • The police group tutorial or detailed guide for bucket polices.
IBM Cloud Storage is highly recommended for both small and large applications, including those that require scalability. It is also recommended for applications that need files to be distributed across the regions.

I would not recommend IBM Cloud Object Storage for a service or solution that has a large download rate because the cost can be high.
Read Luiz Lai's full review
Kim Desrosiers profile photo
We use IBM Cloud Object Storage to store photos and other files related to our applications. We use the cloud storage service since we don't want to manage and backup those files manually. This is why this cloud solution is perfect for us. It allows us to focus on things that really matter.
  • Good performance
  • Easy to set up
  • Secure
  • Flexible
  • Batch download
  • Web UI not really intuitive
  • More SDK examples
It is well suited for users' files like photos or uploaded documents.

It is not well suited for assets like CSS, JavaScript etc.
Read Kim Desrosiers's full review

IBM Cloud Object Storage Scorecard Summary

Service-level Agreement (SLA) uptime (20)
Dynamic scaling (20)
Elastic load balancing (19)
Monitoring tools (19)
Security controls (22)

About IBM Cloud Object Storage

IBM Cloud Object Storage makes it possible to store practically limitless amounts of data, simply and cost effectively. It is commonly used as storage for web sites and mobile applications, data archiving and backup, enterprise file services, and analytics. Flexible storage class tiers with a policy-based archive lets users effectively manage costs while meeting data access needs. The integrated Aspera high-speed data transfer option makes it easy to transfer data to and from Cloud Object Storage, and query-in-place functionality supports running analytics directly on users' data.

Features

Storage classes. Effectively manage costs while meeting data access needs. Storage class tiers are available for active (Standard), cool (Vault), cold (Cold Vault) and dynamic (Flex) data

Archive. Apply an age-based archive policy to move objects from any storage class to long term, lower-cost storage

Resiliency options. Meet availability and resiliency needs. Options include Cross Region, Regional or Single Data Center

Integrated Aspera high-speed data transfer. Quickly transfer data to and from IBM Cloud Object Storage with no cost for data ingress

Query-in-place. Run analytics directly on data at rest using IBM SQL Query

Data durability. Designed for 99.999999999-percent data durability

Encryption. Leverage server-side encryption. Optionally manage encryption keys or use IBM Key Protect

Identity and Access Management. Manage access control using role-based policies

IBM Cloud Object Storage Features

Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) Features
Has featureService-level Agreement (SLA) uptime
Has featureDynamic scaling
Has featureElastic load balancing
Does not have featurePre-configured templates
Has featureMonitoring tools
Does not have featurePre-defined machine images
Does not have featureOperating system support
Has featureSecurity controls
Has featureFlexibe Storage Class Tiers
Has featurePolicy-based archive
Has featureIntegrated Aspera high-speed data transfer option
Has featureQuery data in place
Has featureAccess Management and Permissions
Has featureSDKs

IBM Cloud Object Storage Screenshots

IBM Cloud Object Storage Video

IBM Cloud Object Storage: Data is your business.

IBM Cloud Object Storage Integrations

IBM Spectrum Protect, Komprise, Veritas NetBackup, IBM Analytics Engine, IBM Cloud Mass Data Migration, CTERA, IBM FileNet, Cloudberry Explorer Pro, CommVault Simpana, DBM Cloud Aire, Watson Studio (formerly IBM Data Science Experience), IBM Content Manager OnDemand, IBM Aspera, Nasuni Filer, NICE Trading Recording, NICE Engage, Panzura Filer, Rclone, Storage Made Easy

IBM Cloud Object Storage Competitors

Google Cloud Storage, Amazon S3 (Simple Storage Service), Microsoft Azure Blob Storage

Has featureFree or Freemium Version Available?Yes
Lite PlanFreeUp to 25 GB/mo. For all terms go to https://www.ibm.com/cloud/object-storage
Standard PlanThere is no minimum fee, pay only for what you useFor pricing and all terms go to https://www.ibm.com/cloud/object-storage

The Lite and Standard service plans for Cloud Object Storage include resiliency options, flexible data classes and built-in security. Pricing is based on your choice of location, storage class and resiliency choice.

IBM Cloud Object Storage Support Options