IBM Cloud Object Storage Reviews

Mahmut Halil Öztürk | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 31, 2020

To Satisfy Fast Connection and Powerful Infrastructure Needs

IBM Cloud Object Storage was recommended to me by my supervisor as a solution to satisfy my higher process power needs. As a part of my research project, I have been developing a real-time climate data tracker database and analyzer. The weather data for one place is millions of lines of data as the sensors record data per second. Therefore, I need bigger storage, a faster connection, and good processing power. IBM is the best solution for my needs so far.
  • Fast connection speed
  • Strong infrastructure
  • Strong process power
  • Scalable for needs
  • Affordable
  • Hard to learn at the beginning.
  • Lack of language support.
I recommend IBM's product to those who need to process huge data in a quick way. Even though I optimized my code for the best results, it was slow on my personal cluster. However, after I switched to IBM, it became faster and I got results real quick. My real-time climate data tracker database and analyzer code contains data recoded by sensors per second. Big storage and fast data transmission are essential for this research. IBM saved my life on this.
Read Mahmut Halil Öztürk's full review
Srikanth Hannabeprakash | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 17, 2020

Great for production and research

I use this at my college to store data since our Google Drive has become full. I also tell others to switch to IBM data on cloud since there are many tools to do privacy selection and security locks within certain geography.
I have been to many IBM seminars in the past, the data access is fast and storage is of large quantities. Access is restricted as per our needs and I collaborate in using this service with other research scholars to share docs and do app developments. I have been an ardent user of Fedora Scientific and doing things with Adruino microcontrollers.
  • Speed of storage and access of data.
  • Security restrictions with limited geographical accesses.
  • Upgrade of storage spaces.
  • Premium services to manipulate accesses and collaboration for VPNs.
  • Basically stores any format of data.
  • User interfaces on dashboards.
  • Linking to Facebook, LinkedIn, and other contact lists.
  • Search engines.
This is well-suited in replacing Google Drive or alternative storage options.
Read Srikanth Hannabeprakash's full review
Akhil Ramani | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 14, 2020

IBM Cloud Object Storage Review

Overall, IBM Cloud Object Storage is a good option to go for, as it is implemented with S3 APIs. I have solved problems related to downloading users' demand files directly to Object Storage. However, there are some improvements that need to be done in IBM COS like folders. IBM COS does not give you the ability to create folders in a bucket. Although it is not a big problem, it would provide more convenience.
  • Greate user experience. Easy to learn and implement through well developed WebApp.
  • Archive policy will help to reduce storage cost.
  • Free 25GB storage in the lite plan will give a chance to anyone to get started with it and learn.
  • Folders feature is missing in a bucket. It will help to organize files of a particular project in a single bucket.
Overall, IBM cloud object storage is really well suited for any project that needs to store files such as images, videos, zip, PDFs, etc. For example, if you want to provide a profile picture functionality to your app's users, then Object Storage is Ideal for you to store your users' images or anything that a user submits.
Read Akhil Ramani's full review
Ahmet Fatih IRKLI | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 11, 2020

Research and computing on one place!

• IBM Cloud Object Storage (COS) is used by myself in our organization as a part of my research. It has been seven months since I come across the IBM Cloud Object Storage, and I loved it. I keep my experimental data on IBM servers safely, and I can access it from anywhere. Also, I run my calculation codes and data analysis codes on IBM servers. Thus, I have a remote research machine that is reliable and accessible from anywhere.
  • My personal computer and work computers are also connected to IBM Cloud Objective Storage, which allows me to backup both my personal and research data. Knowing that my files are safe and secure is precious.
  • Managing different types of digital belongings (such as data, backups, codes, results) from one place makes my job easier.
  • Secure
  • Reliable
  • Fast
  • Easy to learn
  • Easy to manage
  • Scalable
  • Availability
  • Cost effective
  • Lack of servers on some regions of the world, they can expand their servers
  • EU support desk availability times are limited
If you are doing research based on experimental data and codes, you should give it a try to IBM COS. A most simple workflow for my IBM Cloud Object Storage usage is as follows:
  1. Do the measurement on setup. Collect the data from the setup. Save data on IBM Cloud Object Storage. Secure, fast file storage.
  2. Run the code for deriving meaningful results from raw data. Run codes chunk quickly with robust IBM servers. Fast processing times.
  3. Run the data analysis programs. Powerful servers save time. Time-saving.
  4. Store all of them in one place without concern about space, security, accessibility.
Read Ahmet Fatih IRKLI's full review
Christian Bradley | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 06, 2020

IBM Cloud - Best Cloud Provider

It is currently being used by the whole organisation to backup data from Office 365 to address the compliance and security issues around Office 365 data. We currently utilise Veeam to facilitate the backups and IBM Cloud Object Storage to store the encrypted data from Exchange Online, Sharepoint and OneDrive for Business.
  • Ease of Use
  • Compatibility
  • Price
  • Haven't found any yet.
Both Office 365 backups and Infrastructure network backups fit well with the aid of Veeam, it is also usable as a public storage location creating a public cloud for your data, in a safe, secure, encrypted environment.
Private cloud capabilities are massively increased based on the object storage and IBM have extremely competitive data rates.
Read Christian Bradley's full review
Christopher J Evans | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 03, 2020

IBM Cloud Object Storage Review

We have been using IBM Cloud Object Storage since 2019. Overall, it fits very well for the needs of my department: it is quick, easy to use, and easy for first-time users. Creating object storage instantly is the best feature, literally, it takes 10 seconds. The user interface is easy to use and easy to learn. I have a stable and robust parallel file system thanks to IBM. The support desk is so helpful. When I am in need of help, I can reach them quickly. Their response times are satisfying my needs. Lastly, it is secure. I know my data is in the hands of a trusted company, IBM.
  • Secure, stable, and robust parallel file system
  • Easy integration to various tools
  • Connection speed, high bandwidth
  • None
As a chemicals company, we have a huge archive that consists of chemical syntheses data. This data needs to be stored securely. Recently, on-premises solutions have become unsustainable for our company. Hard drive faults, data breaches, and regulatory compliance needs make it harder to keep data on the company site. Thus, we decided to switch to the cloud. IBM provides fast and secure service. Their pricing scheme is affordable. Their support team really helped to facilitate the migration of tons of data to IBM.
Read Christopher J Evans's full review
Dana Rafiee | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 30, 2019

IBM Cloud Object Storage Reviewed by Destiny Corporation

IBM Cloud Object Storage is used in our organization and for our clients. For example, for claims analysis in insurance, it is used to help identify and classify claims allowing clients to make a decision to pay out benefits or deploy an adjuster. This helps clients save money through this early classification process.
  • Identify the level of damage in an automobile claim.
  • Classify the mood of customers through a modified facial recognition.
  • Tracking individuals in public spaces, understanding the traffic patterns of venue attendees.
  • While this platform has been around, it does take some getting used. The interface could be refined. My Firefox Browser automatically closed when selecting some options and creating new objects as an example.
  • The tutorials are a bit outdated in comparison to the screens shown. We understand the system is constantly improving. The tutorials should reflect the changes in the interface.
  • There are many pre-trained models. However, it is not clear as to how those models were trained, what bias may exist in the training data, and how a user could improve those models unless we simply have to build our own.
We believe IBM Cloud Object Storage is perfect for any organization that wants to analyze and classify images. We use PowerAI Vision, which powers this product, so we understand the underlying methodology. This could be used for public analysis, crime prevention, insurance claims, drone analysis, and any other visual categorization need. We would not suggest using this for traditional predictive statistics.
Read Dana Rafiee's full review
Paula DiTallo | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 22, 2020

Offers Exceptional Understanding and Flexibility for Managing the Object Data Lifecycle

As a researcher, developer, and product manager IBM Cloud Storage allows me to focus my time on the specific problem I am solving for, rather than tie up my time with administering storage devices/capacity. IBM Cloud Storage is simple to use. Storage capacity is available within minutes.
  • Data stored with IBM is protected and secured.
  • In active dev/QA/prod environments, storage can be utilized for archiving and backups.
  • When integrated into product (web/mobile app) architecture, it can assure scalable, persistent storage.
  • Although navigation/usage is "simple" on the surface, one does need a solid technical understanding of how to implement and maintain cloud storage as it applies to the problem(s) one is solving.
  • I think IBM could better promote its capabilities by offering more real-world architectural and implementation examples of how ICOS would fit in a typical enterprise application requiring different retrieval strategies regarding visual analytics over time; merging current data with legacy object data.
I would recommend ICOS to any product manager interested in rapidly getting a prototype of a mobile/web application up and running for investors, clients and peer-groups to work with and evaluate. I also think its a very good tool to have available for development and test environments that require comparisons against large canon object datasets with post-enhancement test result object datasets.
Read Paula DiTallo's full review
Obi Onyemaobi | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 16, 2019

Scalable Cloud Storage At Affordable Prices.

It is being used by our hosting department, which I oversee, to backup data from our main servers and primary backup storage servers. It allows us to ensure that all customers' data, and other particulars are kept in a safe, off-server "holding area". This also allows us to make changes to our primary backup servers without worry that we will lose any files.
  • Allows for safe off-server storage methods
  • Very easy setup with Linux OS
  • More documentation
  • Bring in a script to automatically do the setup
cPanel really utilizes the storage method well for backups, and we are able to tweak IBM Cloud Object Storage for all of our uses.
Read Obi Onyemaobi's full review
Alex Pachan ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Seo Service | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 09, 2019

IBM Cloud Storage is working amazing for us!

We just began to use IBM Cloud Object Storage. We are testing hosting internal files on IBM to serve files in regions for quicker resolve/page speed. We plan to test different regions and to observe if having an authority like IBM serve files to website visitors seems to have a positive impact on search engine results.
  • UI
  • UX
  • Initial Setup
  • Explanation videos for each section offered
Well suited: This storage can be used by every organization who is looking to work with a stable environment. The uptime is nearly 100%. IBM Cloud Storage with our usage and testing so far has cut our overall page speed in half. Our GTMetrix scores have improved.
Read Alex Pachan ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Seo Service's full review
Matt Simpson | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 26, 2020

IBM Cloud Object Storage Review

I'm using IBM Cloud Object Storage for a machine learning exercise for real-time object detection.
  • Create associated JSON data for Machine Learning annotations
  • Data Storage
  • Data Analysis
  • Currently have no suggestions
IBM Cloud Object Storage is well suited to support machine learning projects.
Read Matt Simpson's full review
Warren Churulich | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 23, 2020

Excellent Cloud Object Storage

I use it to store images that users upload for selling items for estate sales auctions. It is being used by the whole organization. It allows me to store lots of images quickly and efficiently.
  • Good integration with Akamai CDN.
  • Fast.
  • Reliable.
  • N/A
I think it works well if you are using the IBM cloud because you can use the private endpoint to save money on bandwidth transfers. I use it to store images.
Read Warren Churulich's full review
Sean Hall | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 17, 2019

IBM for Clinical Support Used Daily

I am using a cloud storage solution to build object detection machine learning models to use in applications for slide analysis for pathology. I would like to highlight cells and get their count, mean cell volume, and any shape discrepancies and use augmented reality to project the findings onto the slide in real time to enhance the performance of the pathologist.
  • Machine Learning and cloud based HIPPA compliant storage solutions for back end data support for mobile and web based applications
  • IBM does offer fast machine learning interfaces for natural language processing which I will be using for a chronic cough project.
  • Better help functions or API support, sometimes the documentation is a little hard to follow.
  • Better GUI for machine learning construction, Python can be a bit heavy to run and use and command line interfaces are tough when you want feedback to how something is processing.
  • Whole slide analysis from the developer program had some problems retrieving the correct version of sci-kit so I was unable to finish the example project to build a web server of tiled images from an SVS whole slide image for analysis. Did not see a help button but would love to have help to finish.
Good for HIPPA cloud support
Read Sean Hall's full review
Bhavani Prasad Rao Ejanthkar | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 14, 2019

Smart application with best cloud service.

I'm working on an Optical Character Recognition problem for one of the NIST's public safety projects. I have been using the IBM Cloud services, like Object Storage, Spark and Watson NLU. I have used Cloud Object Storage to store the input image files and output text files.

My team is also using Cloud Object Storage for hosting the application's data. We are using the Watson API's to connect it with Jupyter Notebook for building the OCR model that could extract the text data from an input image file. The data that we are working on is license plate information that we are trying to extract the state, car number, etc. from. We are integrating the OCR application with a hands-free virtual assistant to build a robust product that would help first responders to do their job efficiently and easily without using hands (Hands-Free Device Control using Virtual Assistants).
  • Data is stored as a different object
  • Application can be scaled
  • Reliability and accessibility
  • It is not CJIS compliant
  • It is sometimes slow due to IO traffic
  • Since it's public cloud storage, security and privacy is a concern
It would be ideal to use IBM Cloud Storage service if there is lots of application data. It would help you focus on the application part rather than worrying about the storage space and computation speed for running the application on a local machine. It is very helpful in hosting the input data and output data for data analysis.
Read Bhavani Prasad Rao Ejanthkar's full review
Rocky Paredes | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 11, 2019

Provides an easy-to-understand cost structure and strong customer support

IBM Cloud Object Storage is used for two purposes:

- It is used for nightly backups of 2 Windows 2016 Servers.
- It is used for nightly backups of Network Area Storage.

It uses IBM Cloud Objects Storage and the problem that it addresses is the quick recovery in the event of an onsite disaster that cannot be addressed locally
  • Onsite servers back up quickly to the cloud.
  • There is no complex cost structure. Costs are simple to figure out. Unlike some other Cloud Storage Services that I evaluated there were Technical Sales reps available by a chat with quick and complete answers.
  • The online sales rep provided me his direct number and when we came across a challenge while setting up API Keys he searched for a tech in the cloud backup group while still on the call to help me through it.
  • Once you go through the implementation process things are easy to find but I would have like to see a cheat sheet with step by step instructions on how to register then where to go from there. Creating the Account > Creating your object storage > Creating your bucket > generating API Keys.
IBM Cloud Object Storage is well suited for Synology NAS backup. When using Synology Hyper Backup on their NAS I found that you can view individual files, as well as restore individual files. Hyper Backup displays the object as individual files in their format such as Excel, Word, PDF, and so on. Synology will support S3 but some Cloud service providers do not support S3 and I found that some are more expensive than IBM Cloud Storage. IBM Cloud Storage lends itself nicely to Bare Metal Image Backups as well.
Read Rocky Paredes's full review
Matthew Couch (pron. &quot;kooch&quot;) | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 27, 2020

IBM Cloud Storage for NFP Training

I'm considering using IBM Cloud Object Storage to host the backend files behind our microlearning suite MTSGrow.
  • Scalability
  • Security
  • Tutorial for smaller users
IBM Cloud Object Storage is great for backend storage access where file hosting needs to be reliable and secure from unintended changes. I intend to replace my web-hosted storage with IBM Cloud Object Storage.
Read Matthew Couch (pron. "kooch")'s full review
Paul Jebasingh | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 15, 2019

IBM Cloud Object Storage Review

I am using it for Object-oriented storage.
  • Object-oriented storage.
  • The number of storage options is more than other providers.
  • Free storage during the testing trial allows you to test out the options.
  • In multi-region, only a few options are available.
I am using it for my own purposes.
Read Paul Jebasingh's full review
Adeyeye George | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 19, 2019

Best service ever except for developing and SDK for PHP users.

It is really nice, but I just hope that in the future there will be PHP SDK too.
  • Data Backups
  • Backup Retrievals
  • Provision of PHP SDK
  • Provision of HTTP API Access
IBM Cloud Object Storage is well suited for backing up files in large quantities.
Read Adeyeye George's full review
Nick Koopmans | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 18, 2019

IBM COS

We are using Cloud Object Storage to store images derived by our Conv Neural Nets at various in-the-field locations. These are later used to retrain our models, so they are valuable to us. Our organisation is quite small so it is used by all colleagues, for all clients who are using these particular products.
  • Easy to set up.
  • Direct connection to other services such as ML.
  • We have not experienced this yet.
We only have experience with saving our photos. Until now, we haven't had any issues.
Read Nick Koopmans's full review
Jernej Romih | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 04, 2019

IBM COS is a nice product/service!

Cloud Object Storage is being used across the organisation. It solves the problem of data resiliency and availability for large amounts of archive data.
  • Accessors - docker deployment, VM deployment, hardware deployment (flexibility).
  • Data protection - erasure coding + IDA.
  • Performance.
  • No idea
Well suited: Archives, backup repositories, digital multimedia asset repository, web applications.
Less appropriate: Online Hi I/O low service time storage, file access.
Read Jernej Romih's full review
SARWAN KUMAR | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 25, 2019

IBM: The best

I am using the IBM Cloud Object Storage to store the HTML files while I am learning the Python programming language online through the Coursera platform.
  • Cost-effective geo-dispersed data protection.
  • Data tagging with IBM Spectrum Discover.
  • Engineered for massive scalability.
  • Need to lower the cost still.
Pros: It's user-friendly.
Cons: It's still expensive.
Read SARWAN KUMAR's full review
Sayed Kamal | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 20, 2019

IBM Cloud Object Storage Review

The whole organization uses it. We use it to store casual and critical data. We also sometimes upload our saved meetings, calendars, and reports to be available for all employees. It is useful as it facilitates sharing some data with other businesses we work with. The most important thing we can use this data for is exploratory analysis and data visualization without downloading it. We take the results to create insightful reports and sometimes use AI functions.
  • Easy sharing
  • Database analysis without downloading files or using any API
  • High levels of security
  • Simplification of the interface
  • Renaming some features to be more easily understood, as some words are very ambiguous
The ability to work on data stored in the cloud directly without downloading it is the best feature. The worst aspect of IBM Cloud Storage is the difficult-to-understand terms used in the settings and security features.
Read Sayed Kamal's full review
Iván Díaz | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 14, 2019

IBM Cloud Object Storage Benefits

We are focused on providing policy admin solutions for insurance companies around the world. I am using IBM Cloud Object Storage first to learn how it works and how it can be best implemented for our customers.
  • Flexibility to create very easy object storage
  • Pay only for what you use
  • Redundancy in different storage locations
  • There are some regulations that do not allow us to store personal information outside of the country. I would like to have the possibility to store the information in a cloud where their infrastructure is inside Mexico
IBM Cloud Object Storage is well suited for AI, unstructured data that can be accessed from any part of the world, IoT and analytic data or just backup information. You can scale the storage without any interruption.
Read Iván Díaz's full review
Ben Holmes | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 12, 2019

Very fast, secure

Used in moving custom files for data science exploration in collaboration with Watson Studio.
  • Very fast
  • Cheap
  • Connections are bit difficult to configure.
  • Security is difficult understand.
  • Providing access is a difficulty.
Ad hoc movement of data into IBM's stack of applications on the cloud.
Read Ben Holmes's full review
Batuhan Tastekin | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 11, 2019

IBM Cloud Object Storage Review

When I tried to use other storage providers I saw that they had very low TPU and speed. IBM Cloud Object Storage is the best storage I've had the opportunity to use.
  • High speed.
  • Easy to use.
  • Very extendable with other sources.
  • 25GB/Month storage isn't enough sometimes.
When you want to develop a model around ML or AI, IBM Cloud Object Storage is the best suited platform to create these models.
Read Batuhan Tastekin's full review

IBM Cloud Object Storage Scorecard Summary

Service-level Agreement (SLA) uptime (52)
Dynamic scaling (51)
Elastic load balancing (52)
Monitoring tools (52)
Security controls (55)

About IBM Cloud Object Storage

IBM Cloud Object Storage makes it possible to store practically limitless amounts of data, simply and cost effectively. It is commonly used as storage for web sites and mobile applications, data archiving and backup, enterprise file services, and analytics. Flexible storage class tiers with a policy-based archive lets users effectively manage costs while meeting data access needs. The integrated Aspera high-speed data transfer option makes it easy to transfer data to and from Cloud Object Storage, and query-in-place functionality supports running analytics directly on users' data.

Features

Storage classes. Effectively manage costs while meeting data access needs. Storage class tiers are available for active (Standard), cool (Vault), cold (Cold Vault) and dynamic (Flex) data

Archive. Apply an age-based archive policy to move objects from any storage class to long term, lower-cost storage

Resiliency options. Meet availability and resiliency needs. Options include Cross Region, Regional or Single Data Center

Integrated Aspera high-speed data transfer. Quickly transfer data to and from IBM Cloud Object Storage with no cost for data ingress

Query-in-place. Run analytics directly on data at rest using IBM SQL Query

Data durability. Designed for 99.999999999-percent data durability

Encryption. Leverage server-side encryption. Optionally manage encryption keys or use IBM Key Protect

Identity and Access Management. Manage access control using role-based policies

IBM Cloud Object Storage Features

Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) Features
Has featureService-level Agreement (SLA) uptime
Has featureDynamic scaling
Has featureElastic load balancing
Does not have featurePre-configured templates
Has featureMonitoring tools
Does not have featurePre-defined machine images
Does not have featureOperating system support
Has featureSecurity controls
Has featureFlexibe Storage Class Tiers
Has featurePolicy-based archive
Has featureIntegrated Aspera high-speed data transfer option
Has featureQuery data in place
Has featureAccess Management and Permissions
Has featureSDKs

IBM Cloud Object Storage Screenshots

IBM Cloud Object Storage Video

Object storage enables you to store large amounts of data in a highly scalable manner. Whether you have a server, web application, or a back-up requirement, you can easily store your data with object storage using REST APIs.

IBM Cloud Object Storage Integrations

IBM Spectrum Protect, Komprise, Veritas NetBackup, IBM Analytics Engine, IBM Cloud Mass Data Migration, CTERA, IBM FileNet, Cloudberry Explorer Pro, CommVault Simpana, DBM Cloud Aire, Watson Studio (formerly IBM Data Science Experience), IBM Content Manager OnDemand, IBM Aspera, Nasuni Filer, NICE Trading Recording, NICE Engage, Panzura Filer, Rclone, Storage Made Easy

IBM Cloud Object Storage Competitors

Google Cloud Storage, Amazon S3 (Simple Storage Service), Microsoft Azure Blob Storage

• Has featureFree or Freemium Version Available?Yes
Lite PlanFreeUp to 25 GB/mo. For all terms go to https://www.ibm.com/cloud/object-storage
Standard PlanThere is no minimum fee, pay only for what you useFor pricing and all terms go to https://www.ibm.com/cloud/object-storage

The Lite and Standard service plans for Cloud Object Storage include resiliency options, flexible data classes and built-in security. Pricing is based on your choice of location, storage class and resiliency choice.

IBM Cloud Object Storage Support Options