Reviews (1-24 of 24)
- Helios added additional report and management of two or more clusters.
- The schedule reports is handy to have and setup to ensure backups are running without erros.
- We had issues with Hyper-v. But that was windows issue not really cohesity issue.
- Infinitely node scalable - Able to increase our cluster capacity based on our needs by adding nodes online
- Faster backup & RTO
- Non-disruptive upgrades - No Service downtime as Cohesity upgrades one node at a time and entire cluster is available during the upgrade
- Test/Dev - Great feature
- Advance Storage Analytics - Will give more insights on storage trend and performance
- OS backup compatibility for new releases of RHEL & OEL to be improved.
- Multi-tenancy has limited scope and looking for support of multi-tenancy across all platforms on Cohesity.
- Documentation - Sometimes support matrix is not up to date on their docs portal.
- Extremely streamline admin controls for our SAs.
- Excellent account team and backend support.
- Competitive pricing.
- Data platform/encryption is solid.
- Would like to see a broader analytics offering, including data management & security offerings.
- Intuitive user Interface.
- Good reporting and metrics.
- Cohesity restores data well.
- Replication performance - We needed support to provide some customizations in order to get our replication to work properly to another offsite cluster. We have been told that this issue is fixed in the newest general release.
- Support - I would characterize the support as very good, but in a few instances I could tell my support agent needed to go higher up his chain to get clarification on features. I believe Cohesity is rapidly growing their support infrastructure as they put more hardware in the field.
- Make adding items to be backed up easy.
- The search feature for file restore is quick.
- The restore process is quick.
- Improvement in the accuracy of their documentation.
- Remove the amount of times you need to log in to view support info.
- Backing data (VMs , physical servers, NFS volumes, Pure storage volumes, etc.)
- Running splunk cold buckets.
- FIles and folder level restoration.
- Disaster recovery planning and replication.
- Stable releases.
- Bug fixes.
- Make adding items to be backuped easy.
- The search feature for file restore is quick.
- The restore process is quick.
- Improvement in the accuracy of their documentation
- Remove the amount of times you need to log in to view support info
Issues have been dealt with promptly or put on the roadmap for a future release. Backup and restore became as easy as they're supposed to be.
- The various ways to quickly reover data. Cloning and instant volume mounts (Exchange restores) have been great options.
- Ability to use it as secondary storage for VMDK's that don't need to be on Tier 1.
- Using it as a NAS device.
- Ability to backup Isilon!
- Mainly cosmetic stuff that is currently being addressed.
- Expiration times for clones.
- Cohesity is a well packaged all in one backup solution.
- Being able to back up to another Cohesity cluster and/or to the cloud for redundancy is nice.
- Being able to use storage not being used by backups for simple file shares is an added bonus.
- Setting up protection jobs can use a little work.
- Updating can be a little tedious as you have to go to a web page to pull the latest update instead of being able to update from within the UI.
- Backing up all of our NAS shares.
- Backing up all of our SQL data.
- Backing up all of our VMs.
- Support team is lacking in response times.
- Account team doesn't step in until or offer assistance until customer gets frustrated.
- Data protection has been rock solid.
- Support and customer service is responsive and knowledgeable as well as courteous.
- Secondary storage (SMB/NFS) work as advertised and save us money.
- The web UI still needs a little refining especially around the wording in alerts and messages to users.
- International sales resources in APAC.
Less appropriate would be backing up really old legacy apps that need specialized plugins or agents. i.e. Lotus Nnotes or something like that.
- Easy to set up in just a few hours.
- Upgrades are done online, you can still do backups and restore when the cluster is upgrading.
- Restores are really easy to perform and fast.
- No support for Windows clustering but this should be released in a few weeks or months.
- No Windows BMR without third-party add-ons.
- User interface
- Easy of implementation
- Ability to scale, "pay as you grow"
- The architecture could be better designed so you can put more nodes in a cluster
- Some of the initial purchased equipment is already close to end of life
- You can't mix and match generations of Cohesity equipment in the same enclosure
- Low management overhead
- Smooth and consistent backups
- Being able to look at a dashboard and see all relevant information
- Upgrades are painless and can be done even during a backup window
- KB is limited.
- Support for 3rd party SANS is also pretty small
- Cohesity will save us money, time, and manpower.
- We will have quick redundancy to AWS for our Cohesity node.
- This tool is very straightforward and clean. The menus are not over complicated or cluttered.
- Cohesity is working on this, however, I would like to see a more expanded KB section.
- Cohesity is great at finding files for day to day restore operations. It's like a "Google search tool".
- Cohesity is great at cloning a VM into a test environment. The whole process only takes a couple min.
- Cohesity is great at making it clear which servers are a which servers are not getting backed up.
- Cohesity's Auto protect feature is great. Your servers get backed up as they are created.
- I would like to see Cohesity have the ability to do a file level restore from a server using a dynamic disk.
- Cohesity needs a way to backup SQL databases without an agent.
- Cohesity cannot run a backup of a single VM.
- SQL Backup & Restore
- Test & Dev Clones
- Deduplication & Compression
- BMR backups would be better if the client did it natively instead of Cristi integration
- Some items in the dashboard should be hotlinked
- Pulling backups of files, VMs, and other services couldn't be simpler. Very intuitive and customizable!
- We are using profile redirection and Cohesity handles this well, glad to make use of efficient network storage!
- Dedup & compression have time, energy, resources, and lower overall costs while raising quality of service!
- Could be simpler to do Test & Dev
- Looking forward to a mobile application
- Analytics are nice, could be more straight forward
- The user interface is extremely simple and easy to use.
- Backup and restores are intuitive and just work.
- Easy -Replication.
- Easy - Cloud replication.
- Easy - Encryption in flight and at rest.
- File-based restores (directly back to the server) require that UAC is turned off.
- Needs more customized reporting capability.
- I would love to be able to create reports that are emailed regularly.
The IT team could now provide a single solution for all 13 departments to consolidate their backups on one platform, and scale-out as required. Setup and ongoing management dramatically simplified with Cohesity, and the users could now see their backup and recovery jobs, external sources, monitoring and alerting, all in one place.
- Simplified backup solution with data replication in the Cloud
- Performance and CJIS compliance for use with police car/body cam video capture and storage
- Predictable pricing that did not limit future expansion
- Simplified multi-tenant setup
We later expanded our use to include VM backups and expanded it into other business units.
We also use it to spin up test virtual machines based on existing images that we can easily test out ideas on complicated VMs. It's provided more features than we originally needed and has met business needs we didn't realize we needed.
- Cheap secondary storage. For us, we were able to get storage at almost half what a typical storage array was quoted at for the same space.
- Off-site replication. Extremely easy to setup and use.
- VM backups and restores. Simple, yet powerful interface that allows limitless options to how and where backups are stored and protected.
- Support from Cohesity is far above the bar set by major hardware vendors. They will solve your issue, even if it turns out an issue you have isn't their product. Clearly, their support is motivated to make you as a customer value their assistance and feel confident with their products
- Very small physical footprint for the amount of storage provided.
- Extremely resilient hardware capable of running fully even with bad nodes or disks.
- There could be better documentation on designing custom workbench applications to work with Cohesity (workbench apps allow you to search and process reports from the data saved to the device).
Cohesity is not well suited to be used as a primary storage device.
- Cohesity integrates very well with VMWare. This integration enables us to protect and recover thousands of virtual machines seamlessly.
- Cohesity allows you to connect to a Cloud storage external target for archiving snapshots to the Cloud for offsite data protection. This allows us to not need to purchase a second Cohesity unit and replicate data to it for offsite backups.
- Cohesity support is top notch! Their support system is designed to get you the answers you need in as little time as possible. I usually get an answer to my problem in less time than most other vendors respond to my question.
- Cohesity needs to add a page in their web GUI that will show all currently running and queued Archive tasks. Currently, you would need to click through each Protection job to see what is running or queued.
- The Windows physical agent needs to add the ability to skip directories or files. Currently, with a Windows agent, you backup an entire drive or skip an entire drive.
Where Cohesity would have trouble is in a case where you have Cohesity bound to your Active Directory, protect Windows servers that are not bound to the same Active Directory, and then attempt to perform file-level recoveries. Cohesity will attempt to SMB mount to the Windows server, and since the domain is different, it will fail to mount. This is currently not supported by Cohesity.
Cohesity Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
What is Cohesity?
Cohesity DataProtect is a comprehensive data backup and recovery software
product from Cohesity, an enterprise software company based in San Jose,
California, focused on eliminating mass data fragmentation and consolidating
DataProtect utilizes Cohesity’s DataPlatform service which is designed to consolidate secondary storage and associated workflows, to provide users with end-to-end protection for virtual and physical workloads, databases, applications, and storage with a single web-scale solution.
● Hyperconverged data protection eliminates need for separate backup software, target storage, proxy and media servers, and cloud gateways
● Unified user interface for managing and provisioning data protect services, connected via core to cloud and edge
● Policy-based automation; users can assign policies to one or all jobs globally to automate operations and meet business SLA requirements
Cohesity Technical Details