DraftSight is the best 2D CAD

December 07, 2021
I use DraftSight for architectural projects. I really like this product and use it every day at work. I never had problems. I have been …

The Best 2D CAD Software

November 19, 2021
We use DraftSight every day, with all my colleagues in the department. I think DraftSight is the best 2D CAD software, very simple to use …

Contentified

November 16, 2021
We use Draftsight to produce plan view layout drawings for equipment sales. We use SOLIDWORKS for the design and engineering of the …

Reviewer Sentiment

Positive ()
Negative ()
Learn how we calculate reviewer sentiment

TrustRadius Award Top Rated 2022
TrustRadius Best of Award, Best Of Relationship 2022
TrustRadius Best of Award, Best Of Value 2022
TrustRadius Best of Award, Best Of Feature Set 2022

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of DraftSight, and make your voice heard!

DraftSight Standard

$99

DraftSight Professional

$199

DraftSight Premium (3D)

$499

per year

For the latest information on pricing, visithttp://www.draftsight.com/BuyProfession…

What is DraftSight?

DraftSight is a feature-rich 2D and 3D CAD solution for architects, engineers and construction service providers, as well as professional CAD users, designers, educators and hobbyists. DraftSight lets users create, edit, view, and markup any kind of 2D and 3D DWG file with greater ease, speed, and efficiency. According to the vendor, its familiar user interface facilitates a quick transition from other CAD applications.

DraftSight Offerings:
  • DraftSight Standard: the essential 2D CAD drafting solution with a familiar user interface and fundamental 2D drawing tools. Ideal for individuals, students, educators and hobbyists.
  • DraftSight Professional: the advanced 2D CAD drafting solution with powerful, time-saving functionalities and an API to help bring designs to life quickly and easily. Ideal for companies, individuals and designers.
  • DraftSight Premium (3D): the robust 2D drafting and 3D design experience with full 3D capabilities and constraints features to help meet your drafting, modeling, prototyping, manufacturing, laser cutting and 3D printing needs. Created for individuals, designers, companies, manufacturers and makers.
  • DraftSight Enterprise and Enterprise Plus: the comprehensive 2D drafting and 3D design solution created to meet various drafting, modeling, prototyping, manufacturing, laser cutting, and 3D printing requirements. Designed for large organizations with many users or multiple sites.

DraftSight Features

DraftSight Competitors

DraftSight Technical Details

Deployment TypesOn-premise
Operating SystemsWindows, Linux, Mac
Supported LanguagesEnglish, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Czech, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese-Brazilian, Turkish, Russian

What are DraftSight's top competitors?

SketchUp and TurboCAD are common alternatives for DraftSight.

What is DraftSight's best feature?

Reviewers rate DraftSight Learning highest, with a score of 7.6.

Who uses DraftSight?

The most common users of DraftSight are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees) and the Mechanical Or Industrial Engineering industry.

Floyd Finch | TrustRadius Reviewer
DraftSight is the software I have personally installed on my own computer. When I first started using DraftSight it was for freelance work. Now I use it for working at home and on the road because it is the best .dwg compatible software you can get for the price. On my recommendation a couple of my colleagues have installed it on their own computers to use when they are away from work b DraftSight access drawings to deal with after hours emergency calls. If you are an Autocad LT user you can open DraftSight and be working productively in minutes, especially if you use keyboard shortcuts. If you're a SOLIDWORKS user it gives you a way to view and edit 2D .dwgs exported from SOLIDWORKS.
  • Full 2D .dwg compatibility. You can open and manipulate any drawing that you can with the leading brand's LT software.
  • It has a small stable footprint on your computer that dosn't consume valuable resources like some other CAD programs.
  • DraftSight is available for multiple operating systems, including Linux!
  • Let's face it price matters, even enterprise installations of DraftSight are less than individual licenses of most software in its class. For the individual user for working at home or freelancing it is the deal of the century. Even the free version is great although you lose some of the functionality of the paid version.
  • The best part of all is that you don't sacrifice quality and performance to get the low price. It's 99% as capable as software costing 10 times as much.
  • The hardest thing for me to get used to was setting up printing layouts because the menu & commands are just different enough that there's a little learning curve to that menu. This is not really a problem but it still trips me up when switching back & forth between software brands.
  • Occasionally I try a .dwg keyboard command that does not match what I am expecting but the help menu always points me in the right direction.
  • The most annoying thing is not caused by DraftSight, but when you open your saved drawing the next day at work with Autocad it will give you a warning that the .dwg is not a trusted .dwg this is not the fault of Draftsight but it is annoying.
If all you need to draw is 2D layout and detail drawings with good .dwg interchangeability then you really just can't beat DraftSight for even 10 times the money. If you occasionally work from home, if you're a freelancer or a student I highly recommend that you use it. Same thing if you're an enterprise that deals in 2D drawings and schematics such as irrigation or home electrical.
Kleber Randolfi | TrustRadius Reviewer
Today the draft management Is the most important change in the development market and manufacturing industry. The DraftSight solution is used on our clients to replace expensive and heavy CAD solutions. Simplifying the draftsman job and the project teams enrolled to achieve the objectives.
  • Powerful
  • Economic
  • Simple
  • Smart
  • Civil Construction
  • Plastic Industry
  • Engineers Team
Today the market offers many options of replacement of a CAD solution. The DraftSight is think of engineers team to the engineers team.
December 18, 2019

Useful software

I am the organization, for whatever it is; I'm essentially retired, helping out a few of my "customers" at perhaps a 5% or 10% level. I work perhaps an average of 2 days a month. I am occasionally sent drawings by newer versions of AutoCAD than that which I own and have substantially customized to do single-line hydraulic and pneumatic circuit diagrams. DraftSight allows my opening and saving them in a compatible format. I probably use it 2 or 3 times a year.
  • Opens every CAD format I run into.
  • Saves into an AutoCAD format compatible with the heavily customized version I own.
  • For the tiny use I have, there is nothing that needs to be changed.
Draftsight has proven capable of opening all CAD formats to which I've been exposed. Neither it nor newer versions of AutoCAD (I own and use 2002, own but do not use 2004 for menu customization reasons) work with my customized menu, and my use is too infrequent to consider creating a new structure.
Jeff Allen | TrustRadius Reviewer
DraftSight has provided an affordable alternative to AutoCAD LT. I use DraftSight across all of our companies for IT, Engineering, and operations layouts. 90+% of the key commands used in AutoCAD work 1:1 in DraftSight, making the transition relativity easy.
  • Cost is the reason I went with DraftSight. I have been working with AutoCAD for most of my career, but it can be expensive. There is a free version, but I ended up paying the $300 for the 2-3 year renewal. Was well worth it!
  • 90+% of the key commands used in AutoCAD work 1:1 in DraftSight, making the transition relativity easy.
  • When needing to collaborate with other departments, we were able to leverage the free version for small times and to avoid the expense of AutoCAD.
  • Some of our users had never used AutoCAD or a drafting software. DraftSight is laid out in an intuitive way that allowed some of our users to perform basic drawing modification on their own.
  • The biggest thing that sticks out to me is when using the free version, you have to re-register almost every day. I would like to see some improvement on the activation for the free version.
If you are in need of AutoCAD LT but don't want to spend the money, DraftSight is a great alternative with little to no compromise.
We are an ArchiCAD based firm and decided to get Draftsight to enable users to load and edit AutoCAD files, without having to invest in their licenses. It's been a great success as it has similar commands. The interface is user-friendly and it's been deployed to all users across the office.
  • A few issues with support initially but seemed to have found it better recently
  • Same with installation, was hard but now have a GPO that installs it well (so not a real con I suppose)
  • A few people still moan that it "isn't AutoCAD"
Its fantastic for a practice that doesn't want the heavy costs of AutoCAD (2D) or already have invested elsewhere, like graphisoft or Bentley solutions and need something to fall back on "just in case". The free version is fantastic, and then the paid version gives additional support and features if you require it.
February 19, 2019

DraftSight Rising

Bob Diaz | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am an educator at a college in Southern Nevada. I teach AutoCAD and SOLIDWORKS. I like to introduce Draftsight to the students entering the job market. I also recommend Draftsight when visiting companies that are using an older version of AutoCAD.
  • DWG editor.
  • GUI is very similar.
  • Same commands.
  • 3D capabilities.
  • Paramedics editing.
  • Dynamic Blocks.
  • External References.
  • More Architecture tools in the toolbox.
Affordability: the cost of Draftsight is more affordable than using AutoCAD or any other DWG editor.
Compatibility: Draftsight is compatible with most CAD formats.
This review site asks me to list my work information, but I did not use DraftSight for work. I used it personally to design the new home my wife and I were building. I had never used CAD software before, but the user interface (as far as I can tell) is designed to be identical (or close to it) to AutoCAD, so there were tons of resources on the web to help me learn. DraftSight is only for 2D work, but it is exactly the right tool for what we needed, and at an affordable price (unlike AutoCAD). It allowed me to share .dwg and .pdf with my general contractor and the lumberyard. It allowed us to build a house without needing to hire an architect. It's good software...I highly recommend it.
  • Drafting.
  • Architectural design.
  • Planning.
  • The documentation could be improved.
Great for planning and designing our new home.
SAM CHAOUI, PE | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use DraftSight to create component and assembly drawings for new products. I am currently the only user but will soon be adding a couple more engineering staff. The best thing about DraftSight is that it reduces initial company start up costs. Not all startups can afford to pay top dollar for full capability CAD software.
  • 2 D drafting is amazing because it is simple to use
  • The graphics are as good as full CAD software with less complications
  • The program starts and runs faster that traditional CAD software
  • Resolution on large drawings is just acceptable
  • Inserting external images is a little vague
  • Excellent for small parts and assemblies
  • Difficult to import symbols
June 21, 2019

DraftSight rocks!

I and my employees use DraftSight. It is able to save .dwg files in several AutoCAD versions, which if you are an older AutoCAD user, you cannot save to more current versions or have modern AutoCAD files read by older AutoCAD programs. It allows a very reasonable cost for very effective software, without AutoDesk getting all in my business.
  • Very dependable, stable
  • Patterns work very well
  • Many ways to copy and move, very quickly
  • Improvements in software over time
  • I do not think all of the functionality is covered in the Help menu
  • The terms used in the Help menu and options menu are overwhelming, some hyperlinked explanation would be helpful
  • The options menu is very difficult, finding a control of a particular aspect of the program is looking for a needle in a haystack, I have worked with this for ten years and still don't know the logic and hierarchy.
  • The text editors have been changed over the years and I still don't like the setup. Currently, when I edit, it blows up so I cannot see the entire stream of text.
DraftSight is the best for 2D drafting. It's not bloated, but not deficient in any way.
Hello! First off, I love the product. After nearly 30 years of CAD work, I feel it is the most complete package for the price. It has every function I have ever needed, and there was zero learning curve. I produced drawings the day I installed it.
Currently, we are using 3 copies. All 3 are the Pro version. We operate from multiple locations and utilize a cloud base server for ease of access. I am able to produce drawings in Omaha, Nebraska, and our Fabrication guys are able to access the drawings in New Orleans, Louisiana. In addition, our Techs have access to the drawings when on site with a customer anywhere in the world. I've even convinced many customers and vendors to install the software to make communication with the drawings much easier.
  • An excellent, complete package 2D software, with 3D viewing capabilities.
  • The extra tools included in the Pro Version make it well worth the cost!
  • It's extremely easy to understand and utilize right away. Experienced CAD users will have no issues producing accurate drawings immediately.
  • 100% compatible with industry standard drawing file types. We've had no issues at all with interpreting drawings produced by other well-known software platforms.
  • I haven't found any shortcomings, to be honest. The BOM auto-generation function works well, but cannot be customized, so I don't use it.
  • I have had some issues when inserting a PDF file or image into a drawing that shows on the print preview, but doesn't actually print on paper.
  • When inserting a PDF file into a drawing, if you zoom in, you can't zoom in on the PDF image itself...it remains the same size at all times.
It is perfectly suited for machine design, fabrication, and assembly functions within any company. I understand that it is limited when it comes to 3D modeling, but it's not intended to be used as a 3D software package. For every day, efficient, 2D drafting, this software works flawlessly!
Creating and converting 2D into symbols for Solidworks Electrical and cad files for precreation of 3D Models. I use it extensively for creating cad files for cad Cam also. I Use it for cad /cam training and part creation for Mentoring Students for the First.org Robotics team.
  • Simple to use
  • Easy basic tools
  • Converting Fonts to Vectors
  • Good integration into SolidWorks
  • Being free makes it easy to obtain and install, when it becomes a paid for product, it will be difficult to obtain
  • CNC Gcode generation does not work well
  • More file formats for import and export
It is great for 2D generation of Symbols, part fabrication for 2D CNC machines such as plasma, waterjet, and laser cutters. It works great for floor plans and diagrams. I could be better for making signs and labels if it dealt with graphic images and filling objects and text. It lacks 3D tools that are easy to use.
DraftSight is being used for cabinet design and construction. It is being used by two people in the company. DraftSight allows me to design, draw and accurately dimension home cabinets so that the manufacturing team can build the cabinets offsite and help reduce installation problems.
  • DraftSight is very intuitive. It is easy to figure out how to use a command.
  • There are many shortcuts in DraftSight Professional which help to speed up the drawing process.
  • DraftSight toolbars, menus, commands are very easy to use and understand. This helps reduce frustration when using a new product and quickly get up to speed.
  • DraftSight continues to update its product with upgrades that really help the end user and their support is great.
  • I don't have any real negative features. I'm disappointed with the cost of DraftSight 2019 3D version. I've been a DraftSight Professional user for a couple of years now and I really like the product. I'd like to explore the 3D version but the cost is high.
I use DraftSight to design and build cabinets for a small business. DraftSight is the perfect 2D software package for this type of application. The cost for the 2D professional version is reasonable for small business and the quality is extremely high.
Ing. Hervin Colmenares, PMP® | TrustRadius Reviewer
This software is used across the whole organization only as a viewer except in my department in which it is used by design for mechanical and electrical drawings. The only problem is people are afraid to use it because it is a new method in front of AutoCAD.
  • Fast
  • Friendly
  • Little memory
  • Versatility in any version of CAD drawings
  • Easy to use an learn
  • It is excellent
  • I have no found room for improvement.
Probably it's connectivity with 3D drawings is its unique disadvantage compared with AutoCAD.
Dick Karsky | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use DraftSight to design equipment that is used by the company that I consult with. These are mechanical parts and assemblies. I like the DraftSight product but the company that sells the product just passes the buck and does not help the customer.
  • DraftSight is easy to use if you are familiar with AutoCAD but a lot less expensive.
  • If you are using DraftSight professional the hardware catalog and other drawings are easy to insert in the drawing you are working on.
  • Drawings are easy to create with dimensions in standard form.
  • An easier startup menu for setting up drawing defaults would be nice.
  • The product takes a long time to load with no indication that it is loading just a blank screen.
  • Product support is almost no existent. Took about 3 weeks to resolve a s/n issue.
Once the drawing is created it is easy to create an assembly drawing and a BOM. The reason for the "8" rating is Cleverbridge, not DraftSight. I would give the drawing product itself a "9+."
Slow response from Draftsight,
Andrew Rhodes | TrustRadius Reviewer
We utilize this in our digital crowd suite. It is one of over 50 applicant offers. This helps digital engineering teams with all 2D drafting need. Also, reproducing, reverse engineering historical technical data package artifacts.
  • Architectural and site layouts
  • 2D dimensional mechanical, electrical
  • Faster to DXF, DWG manual conversion
  • Reverse engineering or reproduction of historical technical drawings
  • AutoCAD replacement
  • Layering 2D/3D drawings
  • Rastar to dxf automated conversion.
  • Bill of material creation.
  • Better unit conversion scale should have an inch to millimeter, feet to metric, mile to kilometer, inch to centimeter converters and all need to go both ways.
  • Better file management capabilities.
  • Locking file, making read-only.
  • Audit logging.
  • Digital signing.
  • Intelligent property, Copyright and patenting statements/protection for illustration.
  • Org file storage.
  • Microfiche export.
It is suited for all 2D design, GIS, civil engineering, mechanical engineering, schematic work. Electrical layouts, hydraulic layouts.
Sam Wright | TrustRadius Reviewer
Being a one-man design service, I use DraftSight to design Low Voltage to the architect's plans for installation. I also use DraftSight to design special fixtures that may be required to hold a touch screen panel or a box to protect some special electronic application.
  • I am able to take any DWG file and add another layer which comprises all of the Low Voltage requirements.
  • Very easy to use
  • Excellent Support
  • Much less expensive than other CAD Softwares.
  • Possibly a better layout for layers, so you can change the colors for clarity on the plans.
Aside from being a great program for my type of work, it is affordable and easy for me to produce professional results. All my CAD files are converted to PDF's for my clients. DraftSight does this very well.
July 09, 2019

No Regrets

We use DraftSight in conjunction with our Cad Cam Program for work on a CNC machining center, design and creation of new products, and it is used by our sales personnel for verification of dimensions of different products in order to get the proper items to the customer. Great program, I like it better than the competition. Been working with CAD programs since Auto CAD came out with Version 12 for DOS and I find DraftSight more user-friendly with more features.
  • Universal compatibility with other programs
  • Ability to insert parts from individual manufactures
  • The tool box feature is a definite plus
  • It has minor problems when saving drawings - Crashes if you initiate certain commands while program is saving a drawing
All 2D drawings in both DWF and DXF formats
Leon Hennes | TrustRadius Reviewer
I design conveyor systems for customers. Build in 5 year growth for future needs. Customer needs and ease of maintenance is a major focal point. Reliable systems and similar drive units always the facilities department to have spare parts for all conveyor unitswith limited inventory. Off the shelf are chose without specialized parts.
  • DraftSight is easy to use.
  • Able to import AutoCAD files
  • Save as .dwg files
  • Send files to others using different AutoCAD formats
  • I am very happy with the present functionality of the software.
I have been able to design, fabricate and install systems using 2D DraftSight.
We use DraftSight to drawing diagrams, make model markups, made model drawings & models are then turned into production drawings. Also used for tracing images for our CNC machines and Laser cutting machines.
  • Very accurate Modelling Drawings
  • Very accurate Production Drawings
  • Very accurate Tracing and G-Code Generation for CNC Machines
  • Very accurate Tracing and G-Code Generation for Laser Cutters
  • DraftSight how to videos for 2019 product are really needed!
Extremely well suited and extremely easy to use for modelling, production , tracing drawings as well as highly accurate CNC and Laser Cutter G-Code.
It is used by an individual to open, view and edit .dwg files. We also use AutoCAD, and we find that the two products work well together.
  • Editing CAD drawings in .dwg format
  • Attaching reference files, such as PDF's, as background, and drawing over them
  • Printing in a variety of formats
  • Easy-to-use, intuitive interface
  • I use DraftSight at work and at home, on different computers. I find that somehow the editor settings are different, and I haven't been able to determine what settings I need to change. For example, on one machine, I am able to select multiple drawing objects by clicking on them. On the other machine, I have to use shift-click or else it just selects the last one.
  • Scaling drawings into standard hard-copy formats, such as A, B, C, D size paper, and inserting a border with title block, could be made easier.
  • I find myself resizing the dimension text, spacing, arrowhead size, etc. each time I start a new drawing so that the dimensions are appropriately sized for that drawing. I go into the drafting properties and individually edit each parameter. I'd like an easier way to do this.
It is quite well suited for editing CAD drawings in .dwg format. Although there are some differences in the user interface, I find that I'm able to switch back and forth between the DraftSight and AutoCAD with ease.
Johan Settersjö | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use DraftSight primarily to make manufacturing drawings of spare parts, layouts, and other design assignments as well.
  • Drawing of spare parts. Easy to design an ideal production drawing.
  • Drawing of layouts. Rarely requested in solid modeled version (3D).
  • Drawings can be customized for the customer and designed to be read by a human eye. Dimensions and positions of dimensions in different views can be divided according to how the (paper) drawing is supposed to be read.
  • I would like to define its own paper sizes permanently in PDF-EXPORT - PAPER SIZE to grind typing in Custom format when using e.g. A01 format (landscape 1189x594 mm).
  • Save as PDF feature. Every time I use the feature, I have to choose the paper size from a long list, many of which are completely irrelevant. In addition, "Margins" are always checked, and must be ticked off each time. Similarly, "Use print style table" must be checked in each time. This is time-consuming and I would like to set default settings in these menus for my respective drawing template.
  • 2D G-code Generator - In the CAM function, it should be possible to convert text to outline. Delivering ISO code for simpler text engraving should work well with the built-in CAM feature. But for this to be smoother, it should be possible to convert pre-written text to outline. This feature is available in AlphaCam, among others.
  • It should be possible to set the tolerance position "middle" as the default setting.
  • Dimensioning, degrees. Trailing zeros should also apply to deg / min / sec.
  • The parenting function is only in the dialog, not among the properties.
  • Parameter definition for threaded holes would be useful.
  • Screws and nuts should be created using parameter control (key width & height), and the current selection is somewhat limited. The selection of screws and washers is also somewhat limited today. For example, spring washers (FBB) are completely missing.
  • Lockable function for "Snap-To". As it is now, you have to activate it every time. This is usually good, but sometimes you want to be able to lock the function.
  • Measuring function & measuring angle. As it is today, only length measurements and area can be measured with the help of "tape measures". Angle measurements can only be measured by setting a dimension.
  • The ortho function does not work as consistently as would be desirable. If you activate ortho, you want the system to consistently move unobstructed, and draw lines in a straight X / Y plane. This does not happen because of the attachment-to-function functions. This makes the ortho function useless.
  • HATCH - If you are moving lines, you would like the cut mark to follow, for example, by activating the update/rewrite function.
  • It should be possible to import .stp files into DraftSight
DraftSight is good for layouts, workshop drawing for a human eye, and for archival proof drawings. It is also good for making manufacturing drawings for simpler components and spare parts for machines.

It is not good for simulations, 3D printing, or complex, double-curved geometries.
We use Draftsight for basic tasks like to draw a light drawing or just for consultations.
  • It is very simple to understand and use.
  • The display can be easily customized.
  • For me, it is very well complete.
Everything fills my needs! I have nothing to change in this software. It works just like I need it to.
September 22, 2020

DraftSight Review

We use it for sales layouts for proposal purposes mainly. These layouts are the primary document used by the engineering department to prepare manufacturing documents. Accuracy is important. Engineering uses Solidworks and bases their work off of the approved sales drawings. Seamless move from AutoCAD that i have used since 1981 when it came out.
  • Uses the command line for things not shown with icons.
  • All the commands found in AutoCAD are available in Draftsight.
  • Very comfortable interface.
  • Does not take a lot of computer power to run.
  • I like the hints when you mouse over the icons.
  • opens all versions of other cad programs we get from customers
  • I find that some of the commands found in recently purchased software that do not perform as instructed. The stretch command, in particular, does not perform as in prior versions.
  • It does not follow the instructions correctly.
  • The icons are not the same as previous versions.
I think the product does everything I expect it to do. I have not found any problems. I especially like the ability to make a pdf from the drawing so easily. I would a simpler way to go from model space to paper space. It can be confusing at times. Could expand the dimensioning on the home page.
I use it as a very cost-effective replacement for AutoCAD. It does everything I need at 1/10th of the price.
  • Automatically recognizes AutoCAD command-line arguments, so if you don't know the DraftSight commands it is able to interpret them from the AutoCAD command that you type on the command line.
  • No substantial complaints or suggestions.
DraftSight is a perfect low-cost alternative to AutoCAD.