Moodle is an open source Learning Management System used by educational institutions. The product is administered by the Moodle Project which is led by Moodle HQ in Australia.Moodle LMS, A Smart Choice for the Future of Your Online CoursesWe have been using Moodle (since 2014) at Achieveit360.org as our membership area to host our online courses for the K-12 school market in character, leadership and social and emotional learning (for students and educators). We did purchase the Lambda Theme and had some help to customize this theme to make it look better, but the basic themes that come free are still much better looking now than they were 5 years ago. We are able to host as many online courses as we would like with videos, audio, and online PDF worksheets and anyone can access these materials quickly and easily. There is also a Mobile app for those who would like to access the materials this way.,ADMIN FUNCTION: Customizable Site Design with Modern Easy to Use Interface: We use the Lambda Theme (purchased from Envato Market) but there are many free themes with a modern look and feel as well. I like that I am able to make the site look the way I would like and am not limited to the old way Moodle used to look. These days are long past, and I am proud of the look and feel of the site. I can also manage the user roles/permissions and what each user sees and does not see very easily. ADMIN FUNCTION: Mass Enrollment: If I want to enroll 1,000 students at a time, I can easily enroll or delete mass numbers of students by using a simple Excel spreadsheet upload. I can have a class copied, with students and teachers enrolled in a matter of minutes. I can also manually add students or teachers quickly when needed. ADMIN FUNCTION: Regular security updates to be sure your site is secure. Each time there is a new release, I am able to upgrade to the latest version. I do outsource this to a Moodle expert for time reasons, but many people I know do this easily on their own. COURSE FEATURES: Multimedia embedded throughout. I am able to quickly and easily add audio and video to each lesson for more engagement. COURSE FEATURES: Group Management: I can easily create classes so that a teacher can quickly login and see their class at a glance, and print reports. COURSE FEATURES: A more recent feature is the assignment module and grading feature when the teacher can write annotations and feedback directly in the browser.,Virtual Private Servers: In order to have large numbers of students using the program at once, I did need to upgrade to a Virtual Private Server from Hostgator to give me more memory/space/capacity for use. There is a cost to do this and when I did not have students using the program, I didn't like paying the monthly fee for this. I am still searching for another way to handle larger numbers of students without having to use a Private Server. Stronger Representation from their Leadership Team: I do follow many of the Moodle Leadership team, and support communities they have set up and often send them messages (and they do write back). I wish they had a stronger representation (training programs) in the USA to really take Moodle to the next level. I have seen this starting to occur and it does take support from the users as well. I would love Moodle to be known as THE leader in open-sourced learning. I can see they also have this vision by reading their ROADMAP on their website.,10,POSITIVE: I was given a contract to provide online learning services to schools and was able to quickly provide what educators were looking for. In the past, I used a platform that did not have the ability to group teachers with their class, or provide badges. This platform was designed for the classroom. POSITIVE: Since the portal is easy to use, and there are many users around the world, I was able to watch many online training courses to get up to speed with the set up and launch my courses. There were many free trainings, as well, I was able to find some paid training through Lynda.com to give me a more thorough training on the ADMIN functions. POSITIVE: The portal is professional looking with many functions beyond what I use. Some of the most well-known educational institutions use Moodle, so it helped with credibility.,Edmodo,Camtasia, WebinarJam, Snagit, ActiveCampaignMoodle LMS - online learning platform with a bit of a learning curveWe use Moodle as part of a SaaS offering for clients. Specifically, our platform offers light duty work for injured employees who cannot return to their regular jobs due to temporary physical restrictions. We use Moodle to provide safety training coursework to these individuals. Moodle allows us to implement a variety of media into the courses; including audio, video, and HTML5 activities. Moodle supports scoring and reporting for each user. We have customized the reporting and also connected Moodle to our Wordpress site through a custom integration.,Easily create courses that contain multiple choice quiz questions. Easily assign certain courses to specific users. Share reports regarding course progress and scores by email.,There is a major learning curve for building and administrating Moodle courses if you've never done it before. The interface looks a bit dated. You can theme Moodle to change the look of it, but it doesn't change the overall interface. Customization of functionality requires a programmer with Moodle expertise.,8,Moodle is deeply integrated into our product offering. It serves as the foundation of our platform. It can be costly to customize Moodle beyond it's inherent capabilities when add-ons for the platform are not available or do not do what you need them to do. Moodle documentation varies in quality depending on the issue you're having. This can be problematic at times.,Canvas and Blackboard,Dropbox Business, WordPress, Malwarebytes,3,2,We use Moodle for a very specific purpose; to provide online safety training courses.,10Easy installation, cost effective solution for institutions with technically talented staff to implement.We are currently using Moodle in an atypical fashion at our institution. While Moodle is a full scale Learning Management System, we are not using it for the entire set of features it entails. We have another Learning Management System for managing our courses (both online coursework and face to face) but we use Moodle for integrating with our other systems to manage the assessment work associated with program reviews and accreditation. A single department manages Moodle, however the entire teaching faculty at our institution makes use of the product since assessment touches every program.,Under the Open Source model of Moodle, there are countless customization options available. We only make use of the modules associated with rubrics and outcomes and that demonstrates the ability to pick and choose what you want to use of the software. Moodle is very easy to install on the server and is readily available on CPanel (as well hosting control panels) for even easier installation. Being that Moodle offers an Open Source model of their software, it can be very cost effective for an institution with limited resources if they are able to invest the time in setting up the system. If there is a budget allowance for an initiative involving this type of software, then Moodle does a great job of working with you to implement.,The interface is not very intuitive. You must know what you are looking for in order to navigate effectively. Although installation of Moodle is easy, it is a little more difficult to configure it with your other Learning tools. As an example, LDAP synchronization is a little difficult. The interface is a little dated, even though new releases keep coming out (which is great!) none of them really add value to the appearance of the platform.,7,Installing Open Source Moodle has saved us money in contractual obligations and consulting fees for creating the customized solution we were looking for. The time and learning curve associated with using Open Source Moodle as compared with the SaaS, still outweighs paying for a service since we wanted so much customization. One negative effect of using Moodle is the difficultly in faculty and staff buy in. While our institution was accustomed to the main Learning Management System we use, it was quite taxing trying to explain why we were using another system for the outcomes alignment and assessment. Installing and using Moodle Open Source has encouraged the professional development of the staff responsible for implementation. They have had to use inquiry and perseverance in developing a setup that supports the needs of our institution best.,Blackboard Learn and Canvas,Adobe Acrobat DC, PolicyManager, Zoho WikiGreat, Easy-to-Use Software for EducationMoodle provides educators with a way to supply their students with the necessary curriculum and added materials.,Loading information quickly. Formatting is easy to follow. Interface is clean and readable.,Perhaps a more sophisticated-looking interface would be nice. Notification system could use some work.,7,It has led to involved discussions outside of class. It engages students better than just in-class interaction. It allows us to keep instructional material on hand in one place, ready for access by students.,,SlackLearn and teach - wherever you are!I have been using Moodle mostly as a student at EuNC, but recently I have been helping the new teachers get the hang of the system and find out its opportunities. I love Moodle for having a web version as well as a mobile version because it helps me study wherever I am (especially during long commutes) and it's easy to use for the teachers as well because there are numerous features for various needs (for example, you can set other students' forum posts to show up only after you've created a post of your own as a student, therefore minimizing the temptation to read what others have written first and only then writing your own answer).,Numerous features that are useful for both teachers as well as students, for example, tests, forums, documents. Even tests themselves offer a lot of opportunities, for example, you can ask an open question or you can ask a question with a specific answer expected and students can see the results right after they hit "Submit" - students don't have to wait to find out how they did and teachers don't have to spend precious time grading :) Its drag-n-drop lesson creation is amazing and so easy to use. For a perfectionist, who wants everything to look nice and pretty, it's a good feature :D Its mobile app is great because it allows using the system even when you don't have access to your computer.,I enjoy Moodle and to be honest, I think the very few things I have stacked against Moodle are mostly related to how the system is configured for my university. Otherwise, it's a very useful tool and I love the opportunities Moodle presents for education.,10,Considering we have students from all over the world as well as teachers, Moodle has been perfect for our goals of uniting people from various countries in a seamless learning experience. Moodle has convenient features for teachers and students, which simplifies the educational process (for example, test grading is taken care of by the system). Moodle's mobile app makes it possible for people who don't have much dedicated free time other than commute, for example, to study anywhere and wherever they have time.,Typeform, Microsoft Dynamics 365 (formerly Microsoft Dynamics CRM), JIRA Software
Moodle

Moodle Reviews

Moodle
Filter 134 vetted Moodle reviews and ratings

Andrea Samadi profile photo
January 04, 2019

Review: "Moodle LMS, A Smart Choice for the Future of Your Online Courses"

• ADMIN FUNCTION: Customizable Site Design with Modern Easy to Use Interface: We use the Lambda Theme (purchased from Envato Market) but there are many free themes with a modern look and feel as well. I like that I am able to make the site look the way I would like and am not limited to the old way Moodle used to look. These days are long past, and I am proud of the look and feel of the site. I can also manage the user roles/permissions and what each user sees and does not see very easily.
  • ADMIN FUNCTION: Mass Enrollment: If I want to enroll 1,000 students at a time, I can easily enroll or delete mass numbers of students by using a simple Excel spreadsheet upload. I can have a class copied, with students and teachers enrolled in a matter of minutes. I can also manually add students or teachers quickly when needed.
  • ADMIN FUNCTION: Regular security updates to be sure your site is secure. Each time there is a new release, I am able to upgrade to the latest version. I do outsource this to a Moodle expert for time reasons, but many people I know do this easily on their own.
  • COURSE FEATURES: Multimedia embedded throughout. I am able to quickly and easily add audio and video to each lesson for more engagement.
  • COURSE FEATURES: Group Management: I can easily create classes so that a teacher can quickly login and see their class at a glance, and print reports.
  • COURSE FEATURES: A more recent feature is the assignment module and grading feature when the teacher can write annotations and feedback directly in the browser.
  • Virtual Private Servers: In order to have large numbers of students using the program at once, I did need to upgrade to a Virtual Private Server from Hostgator to give me more memory/space/capacity for use. There is a cost to do this and when I did not have students using the program, I didn't like paying the monthly fee for this. I am still searching for another way to handle larger numbers of students without having to use a Private Server.
  • Stronger Representation from their Leadership Team: I do follow many of the Moodle Leadership team, and support communities they have set up and often send them messages (and they do write back). I wish they had a stronger representation (training programs) in the USA to really take Moodle to the next level. I have seen this starting to occur and it does take support from the users as well. I would love Moodle to be known as THE leader in open-sourced learning. I can see they also have this vision by reading their ROADMAP on their website.
I highly recommend Moodle for an online portal to use in the classroom for blended learning. I use it by plugging into a projector so that the lesson can be seen by the whole class for the video and discussion. I do like the Moodle app for mobile for a quick overview of the course I am working on. The platform allows me to host course content quickly and easily in an organized manner. The only situation the portal does not work the best is when the internet is spotty. This has happened to me in some locations, but was quickly resolved by using the hotspot on my iPhone. I have not had connectivity issues with it in my area.
Read Andrea Samadi's full review
Justin Roodman profile photo
December 08, 2018

Review: "Moodle LMS - online learning platform with a bit of a learning curve"

We use Moodle as part of a SaaS offering for clients. Specifically, our platform offers light duty work for injured employees who cannot return to their regular jobs due to temporary physical restrictions. We use Moodle to provide safety training coursework to these individuals. Moodle allows us to implement a variety of media into the courses; including audio, video, and HTML5 activities. Moodle supports scoring and reporting for each user. We have customized the reporting and also connected Moodle to our WordPress site through a custom integration.
  • Easily create courses that contain multiple choice quiz questions.
  • Easily assign certain courses to specific users.
  • Share reports regarding course progress and scores by email.
  • There is a major learning curve for building and administrating Moodle courses if you've never done it before.
  • The interface looks a bit dated. You can theme Moodle to change the look of it, but it doesn't change the overall interface.
  • Customization of functionality requires a programmer with Moodle expertise.
Moodle is free, so it's ideal for anyone looking to implement a LMS on a budget. That being said, Moodle does require some technical expertise to get it up and running; and that's before you start building any courses in it. The platform would be very useful in a modern classroom setting, where teachers could give quizzes and tests and students could receive automatic feedback regarding their scores. It would also be useful for assigning homework. Moodle also serves us well in a business capacity - it allows us to deliver online training to users regardless of their location.
Read Justin Roodman's full review
December 18, 2018

Moodle Review: "Easy installation, cost effective solution for institutions with technically talented staff to implement."

• Under the Open Source model of Moodle, there are countless customization options available. We only make use of the modules associated with rubrics and outcomes and that demonstrates the ability to pick and choose what you want to use of the software.
  • Moodle is very easy to install on the server and is readily available on CPanel (as well hosting control panels) for even easier installation.
  • Being that Moodle offers an Open Source model of their software, it can be very cost effective for an institution with limited resources if they are able to invest the time in setting up the system. If there is a budget allowance for an initiative involving this type of software, then Moodle does a great job of working with you to implement.
  • The interface is not very intuitive. You must know what you are looking for in order to navigate effectively.
  • Although installation of Moodle is easy, it is a little more difficult to configure it with your other Learning tools. As an example, LDAP synchronization is a little difficult.
  • The interface is a little dated, even though new releases keep coming out (which is great!) none of them really add value to the appearance of the platform.
Moodle is a Learning Management System and is best suited for just that. We didn't like the assessment piece of our full scale Learning Management System (nor did we want to purchase the entire assessment module) so we chose to use Moodle for this, and it works well. Installing this application with the intention of only using a portion of its capabilities can be successful in environments where you have technical skills and a broad understanding of integration between your systems. For institutions that lack these, you're better suited to using a full scale of an LMS with assessment inside that same application.
December 11, 2018

Moodle Review: "Great, Easy-to-Use Software for Education"

• Loading information quickly.
  • Formatting is easy to follow.
  • Interface is clean and readable.
  • Perhaps a more sophisticated-looking interface would be nice.
  • Notification system could use some work.
Moodle is perfect for the educator and educational institution in bringing educational material to its students. It is not so great in handling other aspects of group interactions like business meetings, etc.
Zee Gimon profile photo
July 14, 2018

Moodle Review: "Learn and teach - wherever you are!"

• Numerous features that are useful for both teachers as well as students, for example, tests, forums, documents. Even tests themselves offer a lot of opportunities, for example, you can ask an open question or you can ask a question with a specific answer expected and students can see the results right after they hit "Submit" - students don't have to wait to find out how they did and teachers don't have to spend precious time grading :)
  • Its drag-n-drop lesson creation is amazing and so easy to use. For a perfectionist, who wants everything to look nice and pretty, it's a good feature :D
  • Its mobile app is great because it allows using the system even when you don't have access to your computer.
  • I enjoy Moodle and to be honest, I think the very few things I have stacked against Moodle are mostly related to how the system is configured for my university. Otherwise, it's a very useful tool and I love the opportunities Moodle presents for education.
Moodle is great for universities and all educational opportunities other institutions might offer. It's convenient for both students as well as the teachers, which makes it a great tool to make learning easier. I really enjoy the fact that there are little things that make the experience more user-friendly, for example, when you post a forum reply, it shows you the number of words you've written. In cases when you need to write a specific number of words, this is a helpful thing for students as well as for teachers, who don't have to count the words using Microsoft Word or something.
Read Zee Gimon's full review
May 21, 2018

User Review: "Choose Moodle"

Moodle is the main LMS on campus. It is used as a landing board for instructional courses, storing online trainings, accessing job aid material, viewing panopto videos, etc.
  • Moodle is able to keep track of student data per course.
  • Moodle is able to integrate outside programs such as Panopto that you can use within your course.
  • Moodle is user friendly for the most part. Everything is self explanatory and it doesn’t take a lot of researching to find actions, activities, how to setup your course, etc. When editing your course, it’s very easy to add activities/resources to your course and Moodle explains, in detail, what each activity/resource is and how it will function within your course.
  • Sometimes Moodle has issues “communicating” with certain outside sources such as Lockdown Browser.
  • When upgrading to the 3.4 version of Moodle, the campus is noticing that some activity plugins are not upgradable.
Moodle is definitely helpful for instructors in any educational setting, but I would think Moodle wouldn’t be great in a corporate setting.
May 16, 2018

User Review: "Moodle on a Small College Campus"

Moodle is the learning management system for our entire campus of around 1300 students and 100 faculties. All courses taught are created within Moodle, and Moodle provides an online space for faculty to share content and expectations, communicate with students, engage students in online discussions, and provide grades and feedback to students.
  • Provides a space for faculty to share course content and feedback to students.
  • Has an intuitive design, so new users don't face a steep learning curve.
  • Facilitates students engagement and collaboration outside of the classroom.
  • Helps students stay organized for multiple courses.
  • Moodle lags behind more sophisticated Learning Management Systems, such as Canvas and Sakai. Outside integrations are typically clunkier and less evolved than those for other LMS options.
  • There is more unused white space in several of the most popular Moodle themes, such as SNAP and Boost than is necessary. This means there is a lot more scrolling and visual work demanded from the users than there should be.
  • There isn't enough flexibility in course organization for several Moodle themes. The text editor is clunky, and the overall editing options are limited.
Moodle is an open-source tool, so it is a great LMS for a tight budget; however, it isn't as developed or sleek as other LMS options. It's great as a basic tool for sharing course content and expectations, but I wouldn't recommend it for fully online courses or instruction that demands extensive online collaboration.
Timothy Wenson profile photo
September 16, 2016

User Review: "Former Moodle user"

At our medium-size public university, we used it first as a secondary LMS in a pilot phase and then for 2 full years as our primary LMS. We have since migrated back to Blackboard. We used it to provide course shells for all courses on campus during the years it was our primary LMS.
  • It was extremely customizable.
  • The layout, while not for everyone, was great for students - having everything clearly laid out.
  • We were able to add photos to user profiles very easily - something that is not so easy on Blackboard.
  • The options were overwhelming to users sometimes.
  • Grading was difficult to understand.
  • Discussion forums were a step behind those of other LMS providers.
Ideally, you'd have a group of people supporting Moodle that have knowledge of coding and can create custom modules. The code is 'free' so you can do whatever you want with it, but we had to hire a support team in order to help with the server management and creation of custom modules. I think it's great for an organization that has not implemented an LMS previously, it was very difficult for us to convert faculty to use it after they had spent many years getting comfortable with Blackboard.
Read Timothy Wenson's full review
Kevin David Swagler II profile photo
September 13, 2016

Review: "Moodle vs everyone else - why it is time to embrace open-source"

Moodle is being used across the agency to develop and deliver education to all staff. In the coming months, with an ecommerce integration, we will be using Moodle to deliver education to volunteer staff and external partners.
  • Content management - Moodle has a strong database structure that allows for content to be stored locally and used in multiple instances without corruption of the data.
  • Customizations - Moodle is highly customizable, with over 1000 plugins available, a very transparent API, and customizations available directly inside the platform, such as language, themes, and structure.
  • Notifications and reminders - With the ability to customize who, when, and how notifications are sent and the ability to write custom notifications, students are always kept in the know.
  • Static pages - One area in which Moodle is not very strong is acting as a website, meaning not a CMS, but instead presenting static pages, such as faculty information or help documents.
  • eCommerce - Although there are many add-ons and plugins available, many of which are inexpensive, Moodle does not come out of the box as a full fledge eCommerce site.
  • Integration - Moodle has over 1000 plugins and you can write using their API relatively easily, however, Moodle does not, out of the box, integrate with other systems, such as how Sharepoint LMS or Oracle does.

Moodle is great for college and corporate settings alike. I have yet to see an instance where Moodle could not be customized to fit a particular need, all while not having the overhead of other LMS systems and still having the ability to be managed centrally by the agency deploying it (meaning you are not reliant on another company to manage). Moodle can be installed locally for testing, on a server farm, or in the cloud, depending on the need and scalability.

Moodle does require nesting of activities, which can be time consuming, however, this is by design to offer the most custom and specific learning and setup outcomes.

Read Kevin David Swagler II's full review
Helen Ware profile photo
September 30, 2015

User Review: "Moodle at McNeese"

Moodle is being used across our university by all of our instructors. They are geared toward putting their syllabus up in each of their courses. We have approximately 2500 courses that run in the summer and in the fall. We also use it exclusively for our web courses for our adult learning programs. We do have the business problem of the budget that it addressed. It is an open-source management system which is basically free for our university to use. We were paying nearly $60,000 for the prior learning management system.
  • Moodle provides a vast variety of using technology in ways that the instructor or student with little experience with technology is able to use it. All of our instructors received beginning training in how to use Moodle before we switched over to it, so that they felt comfortable with the switch. They could come to the training more than one time if they chose to.
  • I give all of our instructors more advanced training when they choose to teach the fully online courses, and they also receive training in additional software. They also receive a webcam and they can also receive a document camera if they are a math or an accounting instructor.
  • They have also received Camtasia and Snagit which work well with Moodle. They may basically use any software and are able to upload their own videos, videos from the Internet, any sort of PowerPoints that they create with their own voice or video, extra technology, notes, etc. for the students.
  • The instructors use a variety of modules within Moodle. We have available for their use BigBlueButton, which is a webinar. It provides guests appearances and provides office hours for our instructors who have strictly web based courses. They also have Turnitin, which is the plagiarism tool, Turning Tech that is the linked in tool that provides a quiz taking that links to Moodle and to the gradebook. We also use Tegrity that delivers the instructors and the students with an additional tool that permits them to do a video, or a PowerPoint or allow the instructor to link to anything on the computer and to upload it into Moodle. We also have the Attendance module, which allows the instructors who take attendance in the classroom to give the students "points" for attendance. We are adding the Ebsco reading list for the library this summer, which lets individual instructors to add certain reading lists from the library for their individual classrooms.
  • Right now, our Moodle is not working with our Banner product in being able to bring our grades in from Banner directly into Moodle. This isn't a problem with Moodle, it is a problem with the integration with the product.
  • There are issues with the gradebook being difficult for the instructor to use because there are so many different ways to use it, however Moodle is working on a new gradebook component.
  • We make extensive use of MNet and there are many ways to use it, but again Moodle is in the process of improving it.
If they are able to self-host the Moodle product, I do recommend it. If they do not self-host it, I would not recommend having it hosted by someone else, because then it is no longer an open source.
Read Helen Ware's full review
Robin Sargent profile photo
September 15, 2015

"Moodle for the Corporate Noodle"

At AmericanCybersystems we use Moodle as our training portal. We load all of our online training courses, our quick reference guides, our knowledge base articles, and our instructor led courses into the Moodle platform. Our training department is very small with only three members: the VP of HR, the Director of Training (me), and an Instructional Designer/Trainer. However, we are creating training at a fast clip and need a learning management system (LMS) that can keep up with the amount of content we want to put out, track the learners, and display the information in a clear and useful way.

American Cybersystems is an international staffing and solutions company. This means we have an accounting department, a billing department, vendor managers, recruiters, salespeople, customer service associates, and a solutions group. Our training department is responsible for the learning and development of the entire organization. There are many different skill sets that have to be taught and therefore there are several different mediums our training department likes to use in order to maximize the training effectiveness. Moodle has several different supports for all the different learning objects we like to use.
  • Reporting: Moodle does a great job of keeping track of all the users in the system. There are several different layers of reporting in Moodle. One can track user login time, interactions with course objects, activity logs, eLearning course (SCORM) scores, views of discussion boards, badges and more. Tracking in a training program is a chief concern for many reasons: ROI, engagement, improving future trainings, and insights.
  • SCORM packages: Loading a 1.2 SCORM package is easy and simple to do in Moodle. Also, the features for reports are really helpful if you have a course that needs to report variables. In many different LMSs it is nearly impossible to report variables (especially numeric ones) from a SCORM package. However, because Moodle reports "interactions" you can even create a survey and get the answers populated into Moodle for easy export to an Excel file. Not only is the reporting great, but all of the authoring tools that I have used are compatible with Moodle: Captivate, Articulate Storyline 1 & 2, and Lectora.
  • User Upload and Creation: In Moodle it is a snap to upload a ton of users. I have encountered other LMS programs that make user creation a burden. This is not the case with Moodle. All one needs is a username, password, first name, and last name in order to create a new user. A large group of users can be uploaded and created through a simple csv file. This has come in very handy when trying to load an entire department into the system. I just ask the department head to send me the csv file and press a couple of buttons and viola! Also, I can batch upload users to a cohort, so if it is a new department that is getting loaded because there is a new course created for them, I don't have to try to find each of the new users I just created and enroll them one by one. Instead, I can enroll the new cohort with the 'enroll cohort' button in the course. This has saved me so much time, so many times!
  • Support: Moodle is big and only getting bigger through the support and enthusiasm of the open source community. Anytime I have a question or an idea that I am not sure how to implement in Moodle I can always find an answer. There is the entire knowledge base of Moodle online, there are Moodle enthusiast sites, there are Moddle blogs, and there are instructional designers (corporate and higher education) who write, demonstrate, and talk about Moodle. There are also developers and tinkerers who create plugins, skins, and other applications to integrate specifically with Moodle. This means, if I have an idea and the function is not already in Moodle there is someone who has already created a solution and a plugin. There are even entire companies that are dedicated to making Moodle slick, like Moodlerooms.
  • Hosting: Hosting Moodle yourself is difficult. I wouldn't want to mess with all the things involved with hosting and maintaining Moodle on my own server. Hosting Moodle requires a web server with PHP and a database. However, this weakness is also a strength. Although it would be cumbersome to manage Moodle on one's own the fact that it can be done and freely really sets Moodle apart from all other LMSs.
  • Scheduling: The basic version of Moodle (no plugins) does not include a scheduling component. What I mean is there is not a way to schedule in person or webinar training sessions in the system and then track attendance. Unless of course it is all done manually and no one wants to do that. There is a face-to-face plugin that does just what I am talking about, but because of the way I have Moodle hosted plugins are not an option for me without going through a few hoops.
  • Cloning a Course: For one of my trainings there is a course that uses the local branch Director as the instructor. Therefore, I have to create the same course over an over again for each branch across the company. While there are a few ways to duplicate a course, there is only one way to duplicate the course and include all the badges, a backup file. This means I have to backup a course, create a new course, upload the backup, then go in and turn on all of badges. I want a magic wand button that clones a course exactly as it is; is that too much to ask?
  • Also, if I have to fix a typo in a SCORM package I have to reload that file to every single course that contains the file I fixed. My second wish is to have one place to load SCORM packages and then just point to them in the courses so there is only one place I have to go in order to upload a corrected file.
Moodle is great for both corporate and education (I have used it in both environments). Moodle is suited well for those who are willing to get their hands a little dirty. Not everything in Moodle is intuitive and you'll need to be curious and a problem solver in order to figure out which settings to use and how to perform certain functions. However, it is rewarding to learn Moodle because there is an entire community that is also using it and willing to help you out.

If you want an easy interface that is intuitive then Moodle might not be for you. When you are looking to use Moodle you should ask yourself a few questions about your needs.

Who is going to host your LMS? Is it going to be in-house or through a vendor? The answer to these two questions will answer several other capability questions for Moodle. For instance, if you will need to add a bunch of plugins in order to make Moodle customized to meet your needs, you will probably want to go in-house because several of the cost efficient Moodle hosts like mdlspot.net do not add plugins for you. Also, if the majority of your training is face-to-face, then you might want to consider the LMSs that cater to that type of instruction.
Read Robin Sargent's full review
Ted Burke profile photo

"Moodle 2.8 Review"

Every course at the college receives a Moodle shell. Moodle is used extensively by 85%-90% of our faculty, and minimally by the rest. 100% of our student body uses Moodle for their courses. All new hires attend a workshop on using Moodle and the expectations of the college that everyone be at least a minimal user.
  • The new grade book is well received by our faculty. The new version is easy to set up and the improvements of viewing the grade book i.e names moving across the grade columns is a welcome improvement.
  • The attendance feature with the ability for teachers to comment on the reasons why a student is late, absent or sleeping is a bonus. The visibility of these things as part of the student grades view has reduced the number of "discussions" between teacher and student over attendance grades.
  • Our online faculty love the ease of use of the forums.
  • Our HR Dept uses Moodle for compliance training and makes use of the certificate module for proof of participation.
  • Faculty teaching cross-listed courses are able to link the multiple courses into one course for the ease of posting content.
  • The lesson module, while easier to use than previous versions, still causes our faculty to shy away from it.
The questions to ask when adopting Moodle lie more with the service provider than with Moodle itself. Questions around cloud based storage, ownership of content, data security (including student data) should be asked when vetting a hosting company. Our use of Moodle does not utilize all of the existing functionality, so Moodle is usually adequate to meet all of our LMS needs.
Read Ted Burke's full review
Stephen Lackey profile photo
September 15, 2015

Review: "Reflections on Moodle after returning to Blackboard"

At my prior college, Moodle was used as the Course Management System, somewhat in conjunction with Campus Technology's CampusCruiser email/courseware offering. The two systems were not integrated, requiring a duplication of content. Both Moodle and Campus Technology offered online file storage and online calendar. CampusCruiser served also as email, in conjunction with the usual PIM stuff somewhat integrated (a calendar, tasks, email, contacts). Moodle had online file storage but only in connection with a specific class. Content shared between multiple sections of the same course required duplication, manually importing each file. This overlap typically caused confusion among students and instructors alike, creating even less consistency between courses and instructors than a typical LMS alone.

Many Moodle features were useful, including the ability to stage content with MultiMarkdown or plain text formatting. Other products often present either a MSWord-type interface or a raw HTML editor. AFAIK, Markdown content wasn't directly uploadable and converted, but had to be composed in (or cut/paste into) a text edit window.

Moodle has a number of open source modules that looked interesting, but I have not directly used them. These include integration with the content management system Drupal. Moodle's weakest point would seem to be the management of content, something which is readily solved with a CMS. In my opinion, a learning management system without adequate Content Management support somewhat defeats the purpose of a true LMS, since content can easily go stale without adequate management tools to update and leverage content across multiple courses.

Rubrics are present, but the management tools for rubrics are inadequate. Most grading criteria should be reusable across courses and instructors, for consistency. Using rubrics in Moodle seems to result in their being duplicated for each assignment, which became unmanageable across 4 classes with a couple dozen graded tasks per course. Rubric management for assessing instruction quality does not appear to be present in the default installation, but would be strongly encouraged. You do use consistent criteria for grading each assignment, right?

More advanced LMS features such as adaptive release for learning content, SCORM integration are present, but awkward to use. Moodle isn't a content creation or content management tool, and default integration is cut and paste. Adaptive release and SCORM content are very prohibitive without effective tools for creating content.

Like most open source projects, Moodle is free, as in the same sense as "free puppies". For a budget-strapped organization, free is very appealing. Keep in mind that the product doesn't run itself, so adequate staff skill is required to keep it running. The real value of Moodle would seem to be in customization to integrate with the organization's existing IT assets. If you don't mind learning an API and writing PHP code, there is an extensive amount of customization possible, that commercial products like Blackboard do not allow. If adopted, Moodle support and maintenance must still be budgeted.

For a non-education sector use, I believe Moodle is still a valuable asset, if used in conjunction with a content management system and adequate staff support. Alternative tools I've previewed seem to be excessive and less economical in terms of delivering instructional content. Internal training is necessary in all organizations, and an inch thick employee manual isn't always the best way to accomplish this. But, building useful learning content is a skill in itself, but a valuable one to develop.
  • Availability of third party open source modules to extend functionality. The stand-alone Moodle product is useful, but limited by the effort in setting up courses and content. The ability to integrate with Content Management systems (or possibly Document Management systems) is critical, and provides additional benefits to managing employee training and productivity.
  • Use of rubrics. These are external, explicit grading criteria to improve communication between instructor and learner regarding expectations and ways to improve performance. A management plan for rubrics is necessary, and not readily done internally within the Moodle default installation.
  • More complex learning schemes are supported, such as SCORM and other adaptive learning systems. However, for non-trivial course development, external tools for building this content is required.
  • Rubric Management. This may have been addressed in a plugin module.
  • Better tools for examining outcomes from exams and rubrics across a class, course, or organization. This may have been addressed in a plugin module.
  • Improved content management within the default installation. While there are modules that support products such as Drupal, building into the default product would ease adoption.
The most important one would be the resources available to support it. While this is true of any LMS product, the flip side of the flexibility and customization advantages is the cost and time to support the product.
Read Stephen Lackey's full review
Samantha Blevins profile photo
November 19, 2015

"A review of Moodle"

Moodle is currently being used by our department to manage faculty development opportunities across campus. While we have not adopted it across the whole university it is a helpful, free tool to ensure our faculty have access to the opportunities they need in order to continue their own teaching and learning endeavors.
  • Organize information
  • Keep information secure
  • Disseminate information to others
  • Pages load slowly
  • Tool for more interaction
  • ePortfolio supported tool
Moodle is a great, free solution as an LMS. It has other application abilities as well. However, the lag time between pages can be frustrating.
Read Samantha Blevins's full review
Pamela Akins profile photo
October 02, 2015

User Review: "Moodle: Cheap and Easy to Use"

We use it to manage the courses that we deploy through our website for professional development of our members, mostly librarians. It is used by a dozen divisions of our organization. It enables librarians to participate in professional development remotely.
  • It is Open Source, meaning the deployment is cheap, relative to other LMS systems considered.
  • There is a TON of documentation out there and support from a huge community of users from universities, corporate and other not-for-profits
  • There are later versions out (2.6) that solve problems and bugs of earlier versions and the interface changes are in favor of all users, (admin, facilitator and student)
  • Users can create their own profiles, and courses can be protected with an Enrollment Key set by the course creator.
  • It has a consistent interface that is fairly intuitive and easy to use.
  • Forums have been greatly improved in the later version. I am in hopeful anticipation of upgrading from 1.9 to 2.6 soon, for that feature alone.
  • Groups in 1.9 are clunky, but much improved, according to online users in later versions (2.2 and above).
  • Restore and Backup are sometimes irregular to the point that you may want to save a basic copy of a course in addition to depending on backing up a course to restore as a new course moving forward.
  • Not loving that we have to use a 3rd party for chat rooms (we use Flash Chat) and the chat history is stored in Moodle.
If you are limited in budget, this a great choice because the learning curb is small compared to an Adobe based LMS which is always expensive. If you don't have a lot of staff or money, Moodle is a good way to go because of all the support documents out there as well.
Read Pamela Akins's full review
Kristina Ierardi profile photo

"Moodle Review"

Moodle is used across the entire organization. It is available to students for every course and available to faculty and staff for committees and group projects. It enables faculty to communicate with students online, post assignments, share notes and multimedia presentation, record grades, etc. It enables committees to share information in a protected environment.
  • It allows me to put my entire course calendar and syllabus onto a visual space that is accessible for all students. It enables linking to documents and multimedia.
  • It provides a protected system to store grades online.
  • It enables members of a group or course to communicate and share information in a protected environment.
  • It occasionally glitches when editing to add documents.
  • The grade book cannot be seen on one screen, you need to use two arrow buttons to scroll over and it is easy to lose track of the student's name/your place in that process.
  • Not everyone grasps the idea of Moodle and how to access it.
Moodle is well suited for creating a course calendar and visual experience with information links. Cost and ease of use are two questions I would ask during the selection process. I'd also ask about use on multiple platforms (PC, apple, tablet, phone, etc.)
Read Kristina Ierardi's full review
Patrick Wilson profile photo
September 25, 2015

Moodle Review: "Great for startup initiative."

Moodle was used across the institution to support both online and traditional courses.
  • It is easier to customize when compared to other LMS options.
  • It is easier to integrate other products when compared to other LMS options.
  • It works well with video.
  • Moodle requires an advanced level of technical expertise to maintain.
  • Advanced support usually relies on peers. Lack of formal support when deployed as a low cost solution.
  • Benefit of low cost can be eclipsed by cost of maintenance in the long run.
Moodle can be a good option for startup programs not yet generating sufficient revenue.
Read Patrick Wilson's full review
Dan K. Carlsruh profile photo
September 25, 2015

User Review: "Moodle is Free (but there is a price)"

Moodle is used to track the training delivery of state employees who are part of the Medicaid Team. It offers a onestop shop for online training modules, and reports scores to managers.
  • Easy to upload Captivate learning modules.
  • Reliable reports.
  • Good security.
  • Easy to upload user accounts.
  • Locked into a general appearance. Templates are available, but they are all basically variations on a theme.
  • Have to go through the back door to clean up European spellings, so you need to be comfortable editing database objects.
  • Moodle is generally built for academia. To make it more a corporate tool, you have to massage the product quite heavily. It's important to know HTML to do this.

Its academia background is very apparent, so corporations should know up front that there will have to be changes made to it so it fits their world. This will require a Moodle developer who is knows HTML and PHP.

Corporations are drawn to Moodle because it's "free." But they have to understand that downstream costs such as database personnel and HTML developers will add costs throughout the project.

They must also understand that there is no help desk. Moodle developers must be able to find answers through the Moodle community and other resources, then put the "fix" in place themselves.

Read Dan K. Carlsruh's full review
Lei Ye profile photo
September 24, 2015

User Review: "Moodle in Medical Education"

Moodle is our university LMS and has been used across the whole institution for the past 6 years. In addition to being used to deliver student orientation, it is also used to support face to face class delivery and to manage students who are in various rotations across the Pacific Northwest. Moodle also facilitates student clubs and other learning activities outside the classroom.
  • Features like drag and drop and moving items around - these features make the course setup pretty easy.
  • Various types of activities and resources. We had faculty to use the Moodle "book" with video recording to meet the accommodation needs. "Page" could save space and help with content organization.
  • Customized course import. This makes the course import very simple. You can select the content you want to carry over to a new course.
  • Third party service. We work with a vendor to make Moodle communicate to different systems used in the institution.
  • Cohort admin. Creating cohorts for classes and faculty/staff groups helps with the admin side of the LMS usage.
  • "Log in as a user". This function reduces the burden of the trouble shooting process. Love it!
  • Planned upgrade. Instead of upgrading every month and having surprises, Moodle is in our hands.
  • Grade book. We encountered the problem of system locking student grades so the overall calculations were not accurate. Not sure if bulk edit has been implemented or not. We started to use another system to deliver grades to students.
  • Mobile app. Great try but still needs improvement.
  • Log file. We had hard time tracking course activities because the log file was not accurate.
We are a small institution and Moodle works fine for us, especially after we upgraded to 2.6 version.

1. Moodle is pretty intuitive to use and the popup text helps explain functions well.
  2. There are lots of plugins that may improve Moodle's functionalities.
  3. Relatively low cost always makes Moodle an affordable option if your IT team is fairly robust.
Read Lei Ye's full review
Mike Brinkman profile photo
September 21, 2015

User Review: "Moodle, an LMS for the People"

We use Moodle every day in a number of different ways. It functions as our Learning Management System campus-wide. We have a few different instances of Moodle set up for students and faculty, administrators and prospective students. It allows our faculty members to easily organize coursework and administer assessments online, which enables them to use their in class time more effectively, as well as reducing cost and waste associated with paper handouts. Another benefit is for our students, who have shown a strong preference to being able to access all of their content online, whether by computers on campus or on their own mobile devices.
  • Course organization - Moodle allows faculty members to organize their courses either by week or by topic so students can access their course materials in a logical chronological order. Additional blocks allow students to access content based on type, such as assignments, handouts, or quizzes.
  • Ease of use - Moodle 2.9 supports drag and drop features for many of its modules, making organizing/reorganizing a course, or building a course from scratch much quicker. It also has a fairly consistent set of controls across several content types which act in a consistent manner, so you can expect actions in one context to behave in the same manner as they do in other contexts.
  • Customization - Moodle allows a lot of customization with its plugin architecture, as well as custom themes, to help give Moodle the right look for your organization.
  • Restrictions - Restrictions allow you to powerfully manage who has access to what content and at what time. This is particularly useful for controlling the flow in which course materials are accessed. Content might be available only if a student receives a passing grade on a previous assessment, might only be able to see something if they are in a certain group, or might not be able to view some content before or after a set date.
  • Strong Community - Because Moodle is so widely used, it is fairly easy to find answers to most questions you may have.
  • Lack of drag and drop in some places - While drag and drop support is offered throughout, there are a few places where it is notably absent. The primary one is in the gradebook, and another is in the question bank. They make sense there, but have not been implemented yet.
  • Lack of support for some issues - Moodle's community is one of its greatest strengths as well as one of its greatest liabilities. While you can usually find an answer to questions you have on Moodle's community message boards, it is also possible that you have a more unconventional question that might not get answered at all. If you want to use Moodle for your organization, you will definitely need some tech savvy people to solve some of the trickier aspects of using Moodle. Likewise, support materials on the site don't cover all environmental variables and settings you might run across, so it requires some testing on your end to figure out what things do.
  • Modifying functionality can be difficult - Moodle is open source, which means that it can be modified by you. This is great, but as mentioned previously, the support materials and developer documentation can be lacking. It is very easy to shoot yourself in the foot if you make the wrong changes, so you should always make your modifications on a test server and make backups before deploying to your production servers. I know that's good advice for any kind of software, but it can be critical in Moodle, particularly if you use it for storing student grades.
Having had experience with two other Learning Management Systems, I can wholeheartedly endorse using Moodle in an educational environment. It is very well suited for the task at hand. It does an excellent job of allowing both teachers and learners do what they need to do without making things burdensome.

I have seen other institutions use Moodle as their Content Management System as well, but it seems less well suited for that task. I would not personally choose to use it as a portal for an educational site without some better integration for Student Information Systems. Better/easier SIS integration might change my opinion on this in the future.
Read Mike Brinkman's full review
Lein Shory profile photo
September 18, 2015

Moodle Review: "A Trusted LMS That Does (Almost) Everything"

We use Moodle to deliver our professional development courses for K12 educators, both for online courses as well as face-to-face training. We've found that for us it offers the widest range of options for an LMS, and has been employed to serve a variety of needs, both for us and our clients.
  • In short, it's tried and true. Too many newer learning management systems look snazzy but many of their claimed features turn out to be "in development," i.e., vaporware. Moodle has been around and had time to learn what works and what doesn't, and make numerous improvements (and can be expected to continue to do so).
  • The extensive, active, and robust Moodle community is a huge point in Moodle's favor. You can count on plugins being tested, and if you realize you want to do a particular thing, chances are good that someone else has already thought of it.
  • Though we don't use it that often, the item analysis for quizzes is a terrific feature that isn't as readily available in many learning management systems.
  • We're believers in open-source products whenever possible.
  • There are so many features it can be easy to forget exactly where things are sometimes.
  • Newer learning management systems may have more elegant out-of-the-box UI. Moodle has extensive design capabilities, but extensive customization can prove complicated.
  • Like with any learning management system, there are always features you'd like to see, e.g., the ability to enroll cohorts in multiple courses at once.
We're a nonprofit focused on K12 educators, and it suits our needs quite well. No doubt there are simpler solutions that don't have as much of a learning curve. If your needs are very basic, you might want to look elsewhere. Moodle is, however, quite capable of scaling from the smallest job to the very large, and there are several hosts that provide terrific support.
Read Lein Shory's full review
Denny Hammond profile photo
September 15, 2015

User Review: "Moodle in Education"

We used Moodle as our Learning Management System for kindergarten through twelfth grade at our school. We also used it as a professional development tool for our teachers. One great advantage of Moodle is it being open source. This allows for an organization to format their site just about any way they can dream if they have the right people helping. Not to mention it is a fairly cost effective solution.
  • Customizable - I have had the chance to explore many LMS providers and no provider seems to come close to the ability to customize as Moodle does. Since it is open source, anyone can build code to find solutions to challenges and share them with others. I am not sure there is a larger community working on any other LMS-type system.
  • Ease of use - the system is very easy to use for the end user. If organized properly, you can do just about anything that you might dream up.
  • Cost effective - Moodle is open-source and free. The only cost you might have is the cost of someone managing the administrative side and possibly add-ons that you purchase to enhance the experience of the end user.
  • Customer Service - If you would like customer service straight from Moodle, that is more challenging to receive. If you are ok with finding your own answers searching through Moodle forums and such, then this might be ok. It really helps to have an expert on staff that can manage the site and take care of the back-end logistics especially if you are a larger school/company. There will be questions and challenges that you would never imagine.
  • Starts as bare bones product- There are numerous ways to customize but you have to be willing to put in the time and effort to do it. The most basic product is not as dynamic as what other LMS options might be. However, given that, the upside can be greater.
  • Gradebook - One of the largest complaints we had from teachers was the way the Gradebook was set up. It is not user friendly and includes more technical pieces than it needs to share with an end user in most cases.
This is well suited for schools that have a strong Technology Director and technology plan in place. Moving to this or any product requires an evaluation period to determine if it will meet the needs of that organization specifically.

Questions you might ask include:
1) What are your needs as a school or organization?
2) Do you plan to build your own content or import content from elsewhere?
3) What professional development will I need to get everyone off to a smooth start?
4) Does it work with the systems that you might currently have in place?
5) What level of support do I need from an LMS provider?
Read Denny Hammond's full review
Mike Sebolt profile photo
August 19, 2015

Review: "Moodle - Free Learning Anytime and Anywhere"

Our school system is using Moodle in two ways to address different issues. First, classroom teachers are using Moodle to extend their classroom beyond the four walls of the school building. Assignments, content and enrichment activities are available to students in an any time/any where environment. Second, the school system uses the Moodle environment to offer several courses during the summer months in a completely online environment. Students can take courses to meet requirements, get ahead or even graduate early. The Moodle environment is available to any faculty and staff wishing to utilize it.
  • Users have the ability to create a wide variety of question types. (Drag and Drop, Missing Words, Matching, Multiple Choice, etc.)
  • Because users are able to password protect their courses, copyrighted textbooks and other materials can be placed online. (unlike an open web page)
  • Moodle is easy to install and administer. Best of all, there are no real costs associated with Moodle other than IT time and space to host locally or in the cloud.
  • Because it is open source you need to be comfortable in a forum environment for help. Support also comes in the form of online help files.
  • Moodle releases several versions each year and makes it difficult at time to stay current. Not really a big issue however.
  • Moodle does require some IT expertise for the initial install and configuration if you choose to host your own instance.
Moodle is appropriate and has been utilized in the K-12 environment as well as higher education. I could also see it easily being used in the corporate world to house documentation and online training materials. I found it helpful to engage others who are using the product as sources of support and ideas.
Read Mike Sebolt's full review
Mitchell Baker profile photo
July 08, 2015

"Moodle Review: It keeps on truckin'"

We are a private liberal arts college and use Moodle on campus and in our online program. Our instance of Moodle is hosted by MoodleRooms. I work primarily with the online education sector of the college and thus will respond from that perspective. We currently have over 600 students taking online courses and lead our tech support section for students and faculty. Moodle meets our needs for student engagement, tracking of activities, and of course grading.
  • I have found Moodle to be an easy LMS to learn, especially the basics. It only takes about an hour to get a faculty member to the place they feel comfortable with Moodle and to be able to engage the learner. The multiplicity of extra tools can be taught according the need of a course.
  • There is ease of administration for incorporating textbook publishers. Several publishers had detailed instructions for integrating course content within Moodle and protect the integrity of both products.
  • Faculty can add additional content easily. The university owns the content and maintains a uniformity of each of its courses. However, if an instructor finds additional content to enhance the class, such as Youtube or an article online, it is quite easy for them to add the link into the session.
  • Moodle is constantly changing for the better. Moodle itself is on version 2.7 and MoodleRooms is now releasing 2.6. One area that is a struggle for instructors is the grading of file attachments. Files must be downloaded, comments made, and then uploaded back into the file dropbox. Version 2.6 will make this better, if the student saves files in PDF.
  • One of shortfalls that frustrates me the most is the gradebook. It is easy to do quick grading within the assignment but if you go to the gradebook it is set up as a giant spreadsheet. This format is fine except that you are constantly scrolling either up or down or sideways to get to where you want to go. If you forget the column for the assignment you have to scroll to the top and hopefully you will not forget the row of the student you were working with. It would make it a lot easier to lock the assignment names and the student names, similar to what can be done in Excel.
  • A nice tool is that you can bring up an individuals grade sheet to show their marks on each assignment. However, it has no edit feature. I often award bonus points but not everyone will earn them. It would be much easier going to this individual grade sheet and make the adjustment.
One of the key questions to ask is whether or not your users need 24 hour access or are you an 8-5 shop. Education needs access 24x7 thus someone needs to be on call or at-the-ready if a server goes down or the internet connection fails. If you elect DIY because Moodle if free, do you have not only a server tech but an internet tech to set up and keep things up? Can you afford someone to stay on top of your Moodle instance anywhere from 10 - 20% of their time per month? These are some of the reasons to look for a hosting provider and there are many out there.

Moodle has so much to offer and the best Moodle people are those who love to tinker, tweak, and look for modules that make Moodle the exceptional tool that it is. It can be tailored to work with about any industry, if you take the time to research all the the bells and whistles that are out there.
Read Mitchell Baker's full review
Rebecka Anderson profile photo
February 25, 2015

User Review: "Moodle Magic!"

The Virginia Early Intervention Professional Development Center, which is a project of the Partnership for People with Disabilities at Virginia Commonwealth University, provides online professional development opportunities for all early intervention providers in Virginia. The online training modules were developed to provide early intervention providers with ongoing learning opportunities that would be accessible regardless of location and time.

Each self-paced training was developed and designed using other elearning tools such as Lectora and Articulate. Once each training was completed, it was exported as a single SCORM package and then added to Moodle as a course. The self-paced trainings were added to Moodle to allow:

-Students to self-enroll
-Tracking of student progress (enrollment and completion)
-The recording/tracking of student assessment
-Students to view their grades and obtain a certificate of completion

Once a SCORM package (training) has been added to Moodle, there is little administrative work to be done.
  • Overall the administrative tools are easy to use, and with some experimentation it’s easy to get it to customize and setup your course. I’ve not taken a single course, or done any extensive reading and I’ve been able to use the tool. Like most, there are some points where I get stuck, but a quick search on the internet and I’ve got my answer.
  • I love the restrict access feature. Most courses have a certificate of completion module available. With the restrict access tool we can control when users see the option of obtaining the certificate and if a grade condition is required. It’s easy to manage the settings and it can be applied to each activity or resource that’s been added to a course.
  • The certificate module is excellent! It was easy to add to Moodle and easy to customize and add to each course. Previously we include certificates as part of each SCORM package. The problem with that was that if a user came back to download/print their certificate they had to launch the SCORM package/training and then navigate to it. With the certificate module, users can obtain it on the homepage of the course.
  • When adding blocks to the site it’s sometimes difficult to tell what is viewable as an admin vs a teacher or student.
  • The admin and navigation blocks are either on or off and can’t be customized unless you are willing to dig in and modify the code. It would be nice to be able to identify which links within each of those blocks is available to the student.
  • While there are themes to choose from, I would like to see more, and it would be nice if each theme had more built-in options for customization. Additionally, while you can choose a separate theme for mobile, it would be nice if you could apply the same theme to mobile and desktop, but with different levels of customization. For example, for the desktop I’d like a fixed width, but on mobile I want something fluid. Again, unless you’re willing to dig in to the code, this can’t be accomplished.
If you need a high level of graphic design, customization Moodle may not be the tool for you unless you are willing to get into the code and work with an existing theme or attempt to create your own. If you can be ok with using existing themes and just changing the header/footer and colors (depending on the theme) Moodle is the tool for hosting asynchronous elearning.

Aside from the back-end student tracking I like Moodle because I can "stack" a course. For example, I might start out with a single SCORM package as my course, but I can easily add new elements such as another SCORM package a discussion forum.

One of Moodle's greatest strengths is the high level of customization afforded to each course, but that can also be a weakness for someone completely new to elearning. For example, a course can easily be built without an external tool like Lectora or Articulate, but without an understanding of the user experience it would be easy to design a course that would be difficult to navigate and confusing to the user.
Read Rebecka Anderson's full review

Course authoring (3)
Course catalog or library (5)
Player/Portal (5)
Learning content (4)
9.7
Mobile friendly (5)
Progress tracking & certifications (5)
Assignments (5)
Compliance management (3)
Learning administration (4)
Learning reporting & analytics (4)
Social learning (4)