SparkPost

SparkPost Reviews

Do you work for this company? Learn how we help vendors

Ratings and Reviews

We've connected SparkPost to our web products, so all online subscribers. Site admins, receive emails through SparkPost. It's been used for internal management messages (like database errors, user requests, etc.), but also as the primary way to communicate with the subscribers of our web products. It provided an easy integration experience within our existing web infrastructure (written in primarily Python). It was set up by our department, and we're largely the only ones who send messages through SparkPost, but the entire organization (and hundreds of subscribed users) receive the messages we send.
  • Easy integration
  • Good documentation
  • (Used to have) great customer service
  • (Used to have) great pricing options
  • A horrifying about-face on pricing after guaranteeing a lifetime rate.
  • A steep drop in customer care and customer service quality.
  • Increased prices compared to competitors.
  • Clumsy email templating system.
  • Lack of integration with other messaging systems.
Our early experiences with SparkPost were great; we were looking for a low-cost (or no-cost) solution to our email messaging needs, and SparkPost had the best low-cost option: 100,000 messages per month for free, guaranteed for life. Even though our team has experience with other APIs, we chose SparkPost because it felt like the best value. Our experience with it was great. Two years ago, they discontinued their free option but sent the existing users the following message:

"When you signed up, we promised that if we ever changed the terms of our 100K free plan, we would continue to honor the original plan for the life of the account. I would like to reaffirm this promise: while this plan is no longer available to new customers, you are grandfathered into this level of free sending volume."

The following year, apparently following a change in leadership, they decided to "deprecate" existing free plans, dropping us down from 100,000 messages per month to 500, the lowest of any email API service I'm aware of. No recognition of the broken promise, the reneged guarantee, just a 20% off coupon. This atrocious behavior that reeks of a new culture of squeezing as much money as possible out of its users and has coincided with a steady deterioration of functionality and customer service. At this point, I have no idea why anyone would pay more for a worse service that treats its users so poorly when you could use SendGrid or a similar competitor for a lower price and way more features.

Would give it a zero if I could. Their customer service used to be incredible; fast response times, really hands-on with their users, and a pretty regular feedback process. They sent me an awesome t-shirt that became part of my go-to climbing gear. But for the past year, their response times went way down, their customer service was less helpful and generally a lot more rude, and they haven't asked for customer input once since their leadership change.
Witt Sparks | TrustRadius Reviewer
Assessment Generator uses SparkPost as an email delivery service. We use SparkPost to deliver end user results after they take an assessment, as well as notifications to assessment authors that their assessment has been taken. SparkPost allows us to send a larger volume of emails than the SMTP server provided by our hosting service.
  • Good Documentation
  • Developer focused
  • Supports sub-accounts
  • Good support
  • Integrates with Laravel out of the box
  • When I first implemented SparkPost, I did not take advantage of the sub-account feature, and my account was suspended on New Year's Eve. It took two days until I could speak with a support representative to get my account re-activated. I am now using sub-accounts to alleviate the underlying problem, but I was disappointed that my account was suspended by an automated system with no notice.
SparkPost is great for automated sending of transactional emails. It appears to be designed for developers—it does not allow the creation and sending of emails from within the SparkPost user interface. If you're building a software system that needs to send emails, SparkPost is a great choice, but it is not a CRM.
Rene Enriquez | TrustRadius Reviewer
We had to write an application where we need to send emails to the end users and then track if there were issues with the email delivery. So we decided to use SparkPost to handle this requirement.
  • When you don't want to spent time writing your own code to send emails from your apps
  • When you're looking for a product which provides all that you need regarding email features to make it part of your software
  • When you want to use a product which includes templates that can be re-used instead of writing your own and all the required effort to do that
  • I really like SparkPost, it was really useful to achieve our goals
It provides a good API and the documentation is good enough to start working with it, I first played with the REST API and then I included the product as part of our software, what we really like about SparkPost is the provided dashboard where you can check the status of all the emails that you send from the application. Even the free version is awesome since it allows you to send a huge amount of emails which is enough in certain cases.
Samir Shamma | TrustRadius Reviewer
It is currently used for all of our outward facing emails. We are currently in the process of expanding it out to other teams in order to be used for better tracking and insight into the inbox. It has helped us with deliverability issues as well as making sure that we are fully aware of how we are doing.
  • Status of deliverabilty
  • Open and Click Tracking
  • Customer Service
  • Manual replaying of events
  • N/A
Great for users looking for seamless integration and solid deliverability.
We use Sparkpost as our "mailman" to deliver all of our transactional and non-transactional emails.
  • Email Deliverability
  • Last 10 day insights for reporting on email system health
  • Individually viewing users on the suppression list and quickly take off or put back on.
  • API
  • Reporting. Within the User Interface, it only allows visibility for 10 days.
  • You have to use their API to do anything for long-term metrics
  • Billing support when issues arise with bad communication.
It works best if using another platform to build your emails. Not the best in terms of using as a standalone solution.

SparkPost Scorecard Summary

What is SparkPost?

SparkPost is a cloud email delivery, authentication, and marketing product from Message Systems.

SparkPost Pricing