January 25, 2019
Score 8 out of 101
Overall Satisfaction with PyCharm
Pycharm is the preferred IDE for our less experienced Python users. Users are allowed to select their own IDE of choice or use the command line but most newer users have found Pycharm to be their favorite. Most of what Pycharm does for us is provide an easily understandable platform for developers to learn Python, debug scripts, and create their own projects.
- Easy to understand interface
- Custom built for students learning Python
- Open source and free of licensing costs
- Easy to learn to use
- Performance is an issue with larger scripts compared to command line processing times
- Keyboard shortcuts cannot be rebound so you have to learn preset hotkeys
- Could be more intuitive for completely new coders
- Provided a great platform for our new users to learn Python
- Open source and no licensing means it is accessible to anyone in our company and not just those who may need to use it for day to day operations
- Added options for our toolbox of IDE options for using Python
Other options we have used are Wing IDE, Pyscriptor, and PyDev. They all are great options but I would recommend them for more advanced users that are not necessarily just trying to learn the language.