PyCharm - A feature rich IDE for Python and Web Developmenthttps://www.trustradius.com/static-code-analysisPyCharmUnspecified8.9661012019-02-04T19:45:37.482Z
February 04, 2019
PyCharm - A feature rich IDE for Python and Web Development
Score 10 out of 101
Overall Satisfaction with PyCharm
LinkedIn recommends PyCharm for all Python development. Everyone gets a Professional License which opens up advanced tools. Being an IDE with regular updates, it takes complete care of Python project management. It integrates with git making it very easy to work in large teams. Its robust UI dialogs, removes the need most commonly used complex command lines
- Git integration is really essential as it allows anyone to visually see the local and remote changes, compare revisions without the need for complex commands.
- Complex debugging tools are basked into the IDE. Controls like break on exception are sometimes very helpful to identify errors quickly.
- Multiple runtimes - Python, Flask, Django, Docker are native the to IDE. This makes development and debugging and even more seamless.
- Integrates with Jupyter and Markdown files as well. Side by side rendering and editing makes it simple to develop such files.
- Abstracting commands into UI dialogs is nice. However, due to this the language changes, making it non-obvious to use sometimes. Tooltips for text boxes can eliminate the need for additional googling
- Memory intensive - only a beefy machine can host this IDE in its full glory. Modular and plugin based approach like VS Code can only load those features into memory as per need
- it has certainly improved the development experience
- helps debug better and faster making root causing problems faster
- Editors like Sublime and VS Code are light weight and many addons are community developed. They are general purpose unlike PyCharm
- IntelliJ is useful for JVM based developed including Scala
- Eclipse is popular for Java development
- When Python is the main language of choice, an IDE like PyCharm is a great choice
- Web development and server development (services) development is also very well supported
- React programming needs some additional assistance as JSX is a new file format which mixes HTML as a JS string. That is amazingly integrated as well
- However, this IDE has heavy memory requirements and needs a good machine