Why QuickBase works for us.
Updated December 08, 2017
Why QuickBase works for us.
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Quick Base
Quickbase is being used in various ways across the company. It is most often used to streamline MS Access, spreadsheet or manual processes.
- Quickbase provides an easy to use interface to build custom applications without a lot of programming experience.
- Quickbase has strong native integration capabilities that can allow a developer to use an excel source and replace it with a QB app in just a few minutes.
- Quickbase has an excellent comprehensive API layer that allows for quick and easy integrations with other systems.
- Quickbase could really use some improvement in allowing users to easily and simply customize the UI to better meet their needs.
- I would love to see alternate keys be available for building foreign key relationships on tables as well as multi-column key values.
Yes we have seen this happen, typically to build a custom application from scratch we would see a 2 to 3 man full time IT developer team work for at least a few months in order to deliver the tool to production. With Quickbase we often see an app go live in just a few weeks with 1 or 2 non-IT citizen developers working on it.
We use our citizen developers for almost all of our applications and they are able to handle 80% - 90% of all requirements without involving IT. None of our citizen developers have a formal IT background and are usually able to deliver an app or new feature set to production in 4 to 6 weeks.
- Building and deploying business applications faster
- Improving our ability to drive insights from our data
We have been able to drastically reduce our development timelines since we have started using Quickbase. We also see significant savings by offloading development to business users rather than expensive IT resources. Quickbase's ability to integrate with other systems has allowed us to integrate data from those processes into our enterprise reporting and data warehouse repositories. Previously a lot of this data was trapped in spreadsheets and was not easy to access for reporting.
Recently we found an issue with one of our apps that help us maintain our inventory counts. There was a problem with the FIFO logic we had implemented through a custom code page. We were able to get the page updated, delete the bad counts in grid edit view and recreate them correctly. The whole process took less than a couple of hours.
Quickbase works very well with processes that are dependent on manual data entry or simple data integrations. It does not work as well when complicated recursive logic is necessary. Also when there is not a lot of advanced reporting and visualization capabilities out of the box either.
Using Quick Base
300 - We cover a wide breath of functions accounting, operations, project management, inventory management, accounts receivable, and estimate creation
5 - Quick Base support personnel need to have strong analytical skills, an intuitive mind for business process, impeccable communication skills and a familiarity with basic development concepts like a background as an Excel power user or any experience with scripting or formula writing.
- Project Management
- Operations Management
- Ability to integrate seamlessly with other systems.
- Self Service Development for business units leading to very decreased development time
- Lots of small one-off spreadsheet replacement applications that cumulatively save a ton of time
Currently it is a core development tool and supports several critical processes.
- It has enabled us to scale by making manual project management tasks automated and programmatic
Evaluating Quick Base and Competitors
Quick Base Implementation
Our first implementation was a challenge. After 3 years with the product now implementations are a breeze and we have used a couple 3rd party resources for add-ons and custom dev.
Quick Base Training
Configuring Quick Base
I think it is limited particulary in the methods in which table relationships can be defined. The UI could be more configurable as well
Yes - we have added extensive custom code - we use if for applying recursive logic and auto generating child records. For a person without a programming background it would be very difficult, we had a programmer do it and it was not difficult for him.
Quick Base Support
Our experiences with support overall have been good. Custom code issues and insight into add-ons inhibits this sometimes
Problems get solved
Kept well informed
No escalation required
Immediate help available
Support cares about my success
Quick Initial Response
Using Quick Base
Like to use
Easy to use
Technical support not required
Quick to learn
Quick Base Reliability
Integrating Quick Base
Relationship with Quick Base
I don't work with a vendor we have a better relationship with. We have developed a strong understanding the QB team and they are always ready to support our needs.
Support has been great and we engage with them regularly to share ideas, best practices and use cases.
Right now we are billed per user with a significant discount off list over a one year term.
Upgrading Quick Base
Yes - As a SaaS tool, I have no control over the QB deployments and have confidence in their ability to improve their tool and provide continuity.