Tableau Server - Connecting the visualization
Subhadipto Poddar | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 29, 2018

Tableau Server - Connecting the visualization

Overall Satisfaction with Tableau Server

Tableau Server is used by our department to visualize displays. The transportation department uses it to visualize different performance parameters like congestion, delay, and other measures across the state. It is also being used to work in collaboration by different research groups at Iowa State University. Tableau server is also used to visualize different accident hotspots in the state of Iowa.
  • Access from any device
  • Worksheets can be managed online
  • Can change and visualize new stuff
  • Public server gives first few lines free of charge
  • Free lines are limited to 10 million per single connection
  • Premium is expensive
  • New data sources cam be published from Tableau Desktop
  • We have to reduce datasize in most cases
  • Helps us to collaborate with one another
  • We need to have copies of data in our own machine, when we need to append some extra features in our data
As stated before we are using Tableau Server on the premises to collaborate with different parts of a research group, as well as with different research groups to produce different measures for different projects. Currently we are not using Tableau Server in the cloud but we are planning to do so in near future.
It's easy when you are an administrator. I mean, Tableau Server can be used to set up specific permissions for specific users. However if you are a user and using it for the first time, accessing things can get a little difficult for you and with not so much help available it becomes even more difficult.
It is so hard to add data to the Tableau Server. I could do it after I download it to my Tableau Desktop. Also creating an online extract needs a lot of time and a good internet connection to set things up. Tableau Desktop seems to be a better option in such cases.
Tableau Server is otherwise very easy and user-friendly. Being a GUI based software it is super easy to learn as well. With Tableau Server you can expect to share data with all the users on your community. Servers can be accessed across all platforms, hence you can easily transfer data as well.
I have used Tableau Server help a number of times to get hold of my data and my work. Tableau Server sometimes gives me cooler and easier solutions than the others in the market so I could really access them. Some videos are also available on Youtube for further assistance
When you are using it to collaborate with other Tableau Servers, it is very useful. However, if you have data sets to be added from another sheet, it is not possible using Tableau Server. Tableau desktop version needs to be used to cope up with such a scenario. Thus we should have both Tableau Server as well as the desktop accounts.

Tableau Server Feature Ratings

Customizable dashboards
Report Formatting Templates
Drill-down analysis
Formatting capabilities
Integration with R or other statistical packages
Report sharing and collaboration
Publish to Web
Publish to PDF
Report Versioning
Report Delivery Scheduling
Pre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.)
Location Analytics / Geographic Visualization
Predictive Analytics
Multi-User Support (named login)
Role-Based Security Model
Multiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete)
Single Sign-On (SSO)