Buzzsumo Reviews

Charles Chy profile photo
We use BuzzSumo to figure out which topics are trending on social media so we can plan out our social media content more effectively. I'm not sure what other tool could do this for us so it gets first place by default! Just kidding. Overall, we find the information provided affordable and insightful.
  • Social Media Trends
  • Influencers
  • User Interface
  • Customer Service
BuzzSumo is really great to identify hot topics and trending ideas that we use to develop our social media content. What's the point in writing something if no one cares about that topic? By pre-informing our content with research from BuzzSumo we make sure that all of our posts have really high engagement!
Read Charles Chy's full review
Brittney Collier profile photo
We use BuzzSumo to gain insight on how prospective clients find our content, how we can lead them to our content using SEO, and when it's best to publish content. The platform also provides information to help us determine which social media platforms are more receptive or responsive to certain topics and content types.
  • The best part about BuzzSumo is its insight on SEO/keywords. The platform lets you know which keywords relevant to our products have been searched most frequently. By figuring out how prospects are searching for content like ours, we're able to improve the language we use to target them.
  • BuzzSumo really helps with finding the most effective content publishing times. For example, we're a B2B company, so we thought that posting on social media throughout the week was most effective since our customers would be in the office. However, the tools on BuzzSumo showed us that engagement with similar content was heaviest on Sunday nights over the last year.
  • BuzzSumo has a great tool for understanding which social media platform to use for sharing your content. After finding the most relevant keywords for your audience and content type, the platform has graphs showing you which social media sites these types of content were viewed on the most. This helped us to stop posting on social media platforms that our prospects weren't using.
  • The worst aspect of BuzzSumo is the pricing. We're a non-profit and we pay $299/month to use the platform. The lowest price you can get the platform for is $99/month and you'll have the least features. I think this is way too expensive -- especially for the enterprise package which is $499 or more/month. To be fair, I think the pricing for non-profits, schools/students, and small businesses should be discounted.
  • I wish BuzzSumo provided more keyword recommendations. Before I researched heavily enough to find out what our prospects typically searched for when looking for products similar to ours, I didn't know where to begin. Because of that, my keyword searches didn't bring up many results in the beginning, and BuzzSumo doesn't give recommendations when that happens. I eventually had to go on Google to be led in the right direction, which partially defeats the purpose of having BuzzSumo.
I think that BuzzSumo is perfect for large B2C companies. However, B2B and small businesses may have trouble getting their money's worth. For example, BuzzSumo's SEO features and the social media insights don't always apply during the buyer journey for B2B businesses because we often present our content to clients directly -- especially for larger companies. It wouldn't make sense to create content that attracts online visitors if you plan to present the content during a video or in-person meeting. Lastly, the pricing could make it difficult for small businesses, non-profits, etc. to use the platform.
Read Brittney Collier's full review
Jordan Comstock profile photo
We use Buzzsumo to help our content strategy. It is a great source of ideas for what is being talked about, shared, created and produced in the construction world. So it ends up being valuable to the content team at my company as it gives them many of the topics that they use for webinars, blog posts, videos and any other content we produce ourselves.
  • Content analyzer is helpful in finding the most popular topics to focus on
  • Backlinks is a quick way to glance at links that are pointing towards our site
  • Trending now is helpful to make sure we don't miss any big happenings, topics or ideas in the industry. It also helps us find popular articles to link to on our social media
  • It was difficult to get some of the members of the team to use it
  • Feels like with construction there isn't always as many results as I would like to see on some searches
  • Sometimes there are very broad results to searches, and if they are too broad they are just distracting
It is a great way to monitor what is being liked, shared, linked to and talked about. So if you want your social media and content teams to have an edge over competitors that don't use a service like this, it is a must-have. It also saves time and effort with our content efforts since it gives us many topic ideas.
Read Jordan Comstock's full review
Kaitlin Berg profile photo
Buzzsumo is mainly being used in our organization to keep up on industry trends and for curated content to share on our social media pages. It's an important resource for us to stay up to date on what is trending in the industries we serve, but also give us a great idea of what is "shareable content". Buzzsumo gives us ideas on what people are wanting to read and how the headlines and stories are written to catch peoples' attention.
  • Great for knowing what is trending on certain topics.
  • Need curated content for your social media? This is your resource!
  • Overall "trending now" keeps you up to speed on the type of content people are actually interested in.
  • Free version only give you so many search results.
  • No way to add negative keywords in search results.
  • No suggestions based on previous searches.
It's such a great FREE tool for businesses to use. I would recommend to anyone! Even if whoever doesn't find it particularly helpful for their industry, they will know based on the free version to not invest.
Read Kaitlin Berg's full review
James Egan profile photo
From a content review, Buzzsumo is so valuable. We use Google Trends, but when it comes down to looking for influencers, Buzzsumo is second to none.
  • Finding Influencers
  • Keyword ideas
  • Blog ideas
  • When it comes down to it, it would be lovely if the FAQs were front and center. There are a lot of features that are only available for premium members, and I think that it would be better if they were made more prominent.
If you are looking for an influencer, Buzzsumo is epic. It is also epic if you want to have ideas for content creation. The only thing that I would have against it is that you get to a certain point and then get asked for money. Ask up front, that is all I would say. I mind paying, just tell me up front.
Read James Egan's full review
Buzzsumo is primarily used by our marketing department, specifically for content and social. Buzzsumo helps us analyze our social and content efforts as it gives us accurate share counts. You can also use Buzzsumo to see the share counts of other companies, so you can use their data to research other companies and figure out which topics you should write about.
  • Accurate social share counts
  • Competitor research
  • Keyword research
  • Price. It's pretty expensive compared to alternatives
  • Automated reports
  • Analytics dashboard
If you invest a lot in content marketing, then you need a tool like Buzzsumo. Buzzsumo is probably the best tool out there to get you accurate social share data, and it's an incredible research tool to find new keywords and topics.

But if you're just casually posting a few posts and not too concerned about promoting, it's probably not worth paying for it.
Christine Berres profile photo
In my opinion, Buzzsumo is a must for content marketers. I love how easy it is to use -- and how many ways I can use it. From researching hot topics within my niche to analyzing content performance compared to competitors, or even identifying quotes from key influencers surrounding a specific topic, this is a great tool for efficiency.
  • Surfacing content topics (+length and voice/tone that resonate with readers)
  • Identifying key industry influencers to follow
  • Finding content to share on your own social channels
  • Can't think of any in my particular use case!
This is a great tool for content marketing, influencer marketing, and social media marketing.
Read Christine Berres's full review
Claire Vanner profile photo
As a content executive at a marketing agency, I was responsible for pitching and writing content for clients. I used Buzzsumo as part of my research process to see what was being discussed around a particular topic across Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Pinterest and Google. From this I could determine the topics and tone of content that would resinate with my target audience (as well as which channels would be best to distribute it through). It also identifies "influencers" in the industry, which helps with influencer outreach on social media. I have also used it to see what titles and keywords are popular so that I can shape my own blog titles to attract more traffic.
  • Identifying social influencers
  • Content alerts
  • Gathering popular content
  • Always brings up articles by the same authors (favours influencers)
  • Not always easy to search keywords - often get articles that are irrelevant
  • Cannot search for Instagram influencers
I don't feel like I often get the right information that I'm searching for. Perhaps I am not approaching the use of the tool properly, but these sorts of software should be really user-friendly. And I feel like it often takes me a while to source articles that I am looking for - usually because it turns up results from the same authors (the ones who Buzzsumo identifies as influencers)
But this negative is also a positive - the tool is great for finding influencers in the industry, so you can engage with them on social media, listen and echo their tone of voice and dig into what makes them successful so that you can emulate that yourself.
Read Claire Vanner's full review
Buzzsumo is used for multiple purposes. Media monitoring in real-time is the most common use case, followed by media research and reporting. It allows our team to find and address coverage for our clients in a timely manner and better understand the industries in which we operate.
  • Media monitoring. Alerts in real-time are crucial for news campaigns.
  • Media research. The ability to search by topic and discover influencers is helpful and quick.
  • Reporting. Pulling keywords or phrases to illustrate market interest is valuable to our teams and our clients.
  • The ability to remove job listings from keyword searches/monitoring.
Buzzsumo is useful as a point solution for media monitoring but is not as useful as a database.
December 18, 2017

Great Tool for Newsrooms

We compare the social reach of our content to the social reach of our competitors. We also check backlinks and identify keywords.
  • Identifies key influencers
  • Helps content creators develop keywords
  • Identifies backlinks
  • None - it works very well
A must-have in any newsroom or content organization.
Justina Logozzo profile photo
I utilize Buzzsumo to tracking the shareability of my company's content as well as backlinks that are acquired. I am currently the only one using the tool, but I have proposed it to our PR person to help her track pick up of press releases. This tool helps my content team gauge the impact of their work and titles they use. They can see how social friendly they are as well as what influencers share their work.
  • Showcases backlinks acquired per link.
  • Breaks down the number of shares per social channel.
  • Shows you the influencers who share your content.
  • Brand Mentions of your own brand, words, and competitors.
  • Showing influencers who have shared: They only show Twitter followers and only if more than 20 (I believe) people have shared it.
  • The brand mention tool, like most, picks up mentions close to your company's name. If you have a relatively common name, you'll get a mess of results.
  • The influencer tab is a little bit of a mess as well as they go based on Twitter profiles and I've found bot account mixed into the results at times.
Very well suited for companies looking to showcase the impact social media makes and those who are trying to improve the shareability of their content marketing strategy. It's less appropriate for companies who are just sharing just to share. If you don't have a social media strategy built out yet, do not integrate this tool into the mix as you want receive the full ROI.
Read Justina Logozzo's full review
Meyrick D'Souza profile photo
August 16, 2017

Super BuzzSumo

I use BuzzSumo to help me with my social media and content marketing. It really is invaluable. I use it daily to research topics and find content to share or to find ideas for new content. It is very difficult to find content that works i.e. engages my audience so BuzzSumo is a great shortcut and time-saving tool. I also use it to find influencers to reach out to, to help get my content more visibility and links.
  • Researching and finding content to share - it is very difficult as a content marketer to figure what will engage your audience. It's easy to say, be relevant and entertaining, but to do that takes research. BuzzSumo takes a great deal of the time-consuming slog out of the process.
  • After coming up with content to share, it's a great tool for researching topics. If you see a number of popular articles on a similar topic, you can use them to research it. Then write your own version but adding in more details. It helps you to add your voice and ideas to the "content conversation".
  • It could be better at suggesting topics that will work well. Trending topics is fine, but everyone uses those. When you enter a topic, it could suggest related ones that are also engaging people.
  • It would be great if it could provide a prediction tool for how well your content will do.
  • It would also be great if they had a mobile app.
BuzzSumo has established a really strong role in the content marketing process. It is always present in any list of tools to help operationalize content marketing. Which is what most companies struggle with - how to operationalize content marketing and how to do it well.

The functionality BuzzSumo provides is well thought out, and it covers the main things you need: content research and ideation, brand monitoring, influencer outreach and link-building, content insights and competitor research.

It is probably not so appropriate for finding thought leadership content. This is about content that is popular and engaging.
Read Meyrick D'Souza's full review
Stephanie Reed profile photo
June 23, 2017

Good but not great

Buzzsumo is used only by me as the sole person responsible for marketing. We have started using it after the need arose for scheduling and tracking more social media posts and develop a social media strategy. However, we have used it only at times, not all the times, due to other apps being more immediate and easier to use.
  • Scheduling messages
  • Monitoring threads and keywords on social media
  • It's quite clunky and not user-friendly.
  • It should be a bit smarter, especially in terms of scheduling times, etc. I feel that other platforms have smarter features.
If you are a small business with very little money, then I would consider using its free version, as it does the job, but it will not shorten your time for doing social media marketing really. If you were a bigger company looking for a more solid solution, then I think there are better alternatives on the market.
Read Stephanie Reed's full review
We used Buzzsumo for competitor research, which included taking a look at their social media profiles (Facebook and LinkedIn specifically), seeing their top performing content on social, top times to post, and what types of posts performed well on which platforms. In addition, we used it for backlink research for my client's websites along with their competitors and for influencer research.
  • Link building research
  • Great user experience, easy to navigate and great visuals
  • Great for identifying influencers on a particular topic or in an industry
  • Increasing their range to include more information for smaller sites
  • Being able to export more robust data
  • Suggested influencers, or topics that make sense for your audience
Buzzsumo is well suited for medium to large sites looking to track their backlinks chronologically. It's also great to do competitive research and look into a competitor's social media profile, what kinds of content they're putting out and where they are succeeding. It's less appropriate for smaller sites because Buzzsumo lacks robust information for these sites.
We use it for content curation for our social media channels but also for marketing research. We investigate how a topic/piece of content is performing online. We check what social channels perform better along with the best months for content promotion.
  • Content curation
  • Content marketing
  • Marketing research
  • You can find cheaper tools - doesn't feel you are getting enough for the price you pay
If you want to do marketing research - especially for content marketing campaigns, buzzsumo is ideal. You can also review seasonality and how popular a topic is on social media channels. Great also for content curation.
September 01, 2016

The Buzz around Buzzsumo

Buzzsumo is used extensively by our content marketing team, and it is one of my favorite tools for content research and analysis. Personally, I use Buzzsumo for two main purposes:

• To look up a certain topic and see what has been published and what has been popular and trending regarding this topic
  • Assess the performance of certain content pieces
  • Buzzsumo can show the engagement (likes, shares) for different content pieces across different social media platforms (Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter).
  • Buzzsumo can show the most popular content piece on social media for any given topic.
  • Buzzsumo can be used to search for the most trending topic at a given moment.
  • Sometimes Buzzsumo doesn't show data for individual pages on a blog with specific URLs.
Buzzsumo is perfect for content research and analysis, and even for comparing the content performance between competitors. It's also great to see how well the content for your website has been performing over time on social media, and assess what topics audiences care about so we can curate content accordingly. The backlink function on Buzzsumo is a great addition, even though I typically rely on other tools for backlinks.

About Buzzsumo

BuzzSumo is an influencer marketing platform focused on influencer location, author reports, content analysis for locating trends, and domain comparisons, useful for competitor analysis. The analysis engine is intentioned to track and optimize content marketing efforts. The product was acquired by Brandwatch in 2017.