Let me tell you a story about Storyline...
Overall Satisfaction with Articulate
When my company was looking for software to help us develop eLearning, I knew I wanted something that was easy to use and cost-effective, but I also wanted the ability to be creative and produce engaging courses that were interactive and eye-catching. After reviewing many software options, I recommended Articulate Studio because it met my criteria, and then some. We’ve been Articulate fans ever since!
When I first heard about Storyline, I was really excited! Articulate had been listening to its users and working busily to provide us with a tool that offered many of the features we had been asking for.
Storyline allows us to cut costs by training many associates with one course, without the need for travel or missed time from work. Because the product is so easy to use, we are able to develop training efficiently.
- One of the very best “features” of Storyline is the Articulate Community and the fact that Articulate listens! I feel that the company really stands behind its product. Not only do they want their users to be able to make the most of the software, but you get the feeling that they’re supporting us to be the best we can be through what we design.
- The community offers so many valuable resources: Helpful community managers who always try to answer questions quickly and clearly. A way to network with other users, share insights and creative ideas, or just show off our work. Weekly challenges to keep us engaged and thinking. A whole library of downloadable content.
- I couldn’t ask for a better community or product support! Tom Kulhman and David Anderson are phenomenal – they are experts in the field of eLearning and course design and are always eager to share their knowledge, ideas, and tips/tricks. I have learned so much from their blogs alone, and was fortunate enough to attend an in-person workshop hosted by the both of them a couple of years ago. I feel like I never stop learning, growing, and getting better because Articulate supports me. I’m not just a nameless software user – I’m a community member and they care about my success and my opinion.
- Storyline scores a 10 out of 10 for ease of use. Its ribbon navigation and layout feel familiar and are easy to navigate. I love the ability to move different windows/sections of the software – it allows me to configure a personalized layout that enhances my productivity.
- Everything is relatively easy to find – I rarely have to hunt for a feature, and if I do Articulate provides helpful tutorials for everything. So it’s never hard to make the software perform the way I want it to. The tutorials themselves are a wonderful resource – I like that they include a video demonstration AND a text version of each tutorial.
- I love that Storyline comes with some pre-built slide layouts and interactions. Even a beginner can engage learners in their courses – Articulate has done the work for them! The software grows with the user – you can make your courses as simple or complex as you desire. Though the software is easy to use, Articulate has included some powerful tools (like variables) which allow us to create games, interactive content, whatever we can imagine. The sky is the limit – buttons, hotspots, markers – whatever interaction I can imagine, I can create! So don’t worry about outgrowing the software – there’s very little you can’t do.
- Course creation is simple and for the most part straight forward. First-time users can get started with very little training or experience, and the software is pretty easy to figure out. It’s the most user-friendly eLearning development software on the market, with a very low learning curve!
- You can easily import PPT files or other Articulate projects, so upgrading from an earlier Articulate software is a breeze. We’ve had no problem converting any of our older Studio projects into Storyline projects. Template creation works the same as PPT, so it’s familiar and easy. Reusable content is a huge time-saver, and Storyline makes it very easy to create and reuse content. See a template or interaction in the community that you’d like to use in your current course? Importing them is simple and fast.
- Sometimes an "advanced" feature is a bit buried, and not completely intuitive to find. I usually don't have trouble finding it once I google or search the community, but it would be nice to have a couple of heavily used features easier to access. Like course duration - it's a little hard to find how to view Storyline's estimated duration and that's something we use for each course.
- I'd love to have a few features that we had in Studio, like the ability to loop background music throughout the course.
- We have a standard for our slide note text, and it's hard to apply the formatting because the formatting paintbrush does not work on slide note text. Having to manually change the formatting for each slide is a bit tedious.
- The ability to provide "on-demand" content that associates can view at their own pace has been very well-received.
- Using Storyline has cut our training costs because we only have to create a course once versus hosting many instructor-led sessions. It also removes the need for travel expenses and time off the job.
- On-demand training for compliance materials.
- A way to "advertise" our training - we create short "commercials" using the software.
- We have used it heavily in sales training and product knowledge training.
- To generate "buzz" about our training.
- To showcase information at department meetings.
Evaluating Articulate and Competitors
- Product Features
- Product Usability
- Vendor Reputation
Problems get solved
No escalation required
Immediate help available
Support understands my problem
Support cares about my success
Quick Initial Response
Like to use
Easy to use
Technical support not required
Quick to learn
Feel confident using